going "off the grid"

the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Who's thought about it?

What stops you if you have thought about it?

Pulling the great disappearing act has been on my mind a lot.

Just one day not answering any texts, emails, or calls..... Just going somewhere and disconnecting.

I know I'm not the only one to think of it.
Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
to not question your government is unpatriotic."
-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i kind of like the grid :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    the wolf wrote:
    Who's thought about it?

Just one day not answering any texts, emails, or calls..... Just going somewhere and disconnecting.

All the time I wish I could do this. Seriously so many times I just want to get in my car and drive across the country and not tell anyone. Just take a break from reality for a while. I really think it would be a great experience. I'm afraid I'd never come home :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:
    Who's thought about it?

All the time I wish I could do this. Seriously so many times I just want to get in my car and drive across the country and not tell anyone. Just take a break from reality for a while. I really think it would be a great experience. I'm afraid I'd never come home :lol:

i'd get that timing belt checked first.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    :|
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    the wolf wrote:
    Who's thought about it?

I think about it all the time ... both wife and I would love to take the dog head a small town in Alberta or BC and start a new life. Reason I don't is money and its kind of scary giving everything up we've worked for over the past 20 years.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:
    Who's thought about it?

Yeah, not so much worried about the coming home part. Guess that's part of it. Not much to come back to at this point.

If I go, I'm gone.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    You should move here:
    http://www.fincabellavista.com/
    8-)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    That's beautiful. :)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    the wolf wrote:
    Who's thought about it?

I do! I had a pager when I was 12. My mom would page me in the middle of geometry class. I got DMC a few times. When I get lost people freak. It's better to stay semi connected or give exact instructions that you will be unavailable.

You have to at least leave a message. They have a right to hear your voice one last time...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    family and friends are important in one's life ... disappearing will only bring about a change but probably doesn't address your real issue ... you have to figure out what it is about the "grid" that you isn't working for you and figure out a way on how to address it ... if it ultimately means living by yourself somewhere ... so be it ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The thought crossed my mind yesterday.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I think about disappearing all the time... but mostly for a short period like 3 or so months :D

I love my kids and my great friends too much to stay away for too long....

You can never leave your problems behind, they will follow you know matter where you go.
    Sometimes a nice vacation helps a great deal...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    mikalina wrote:
    I think about disappearing all the time... but mostly for a short period like 3 or so months :D

You can never leave your problems behind, they will follow you know matter where you go.
    Exactly...
    Its called vacation!
    The we come back a week or 2 later, and deal with reality again!

How ya been SweetCheeks?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    if i ever lose my job i will....for a while anyway
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    mikalina wrote:

Exactly...
    Its called vacation!
    The we come back a week or 2 later, and deal with reality again!

How ya been SweetCheeks?

I need a vacation !!!!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    if i ever lose my job i will....for a while anyway

If I lost my job today, I'd be on my way to Philly to see a friend within a few hours.
    Maybe hang with her for a few days, then....?
    I don't know. I'd just drive south and find a beach.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    And I'm not talking about going "Into the Wild" style here. Just getting away from the everyday bullshit.
    Starting over somewhere else, some place where no one you already know will find you. ;)
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It would have to be like my wedding...
    we eloped but took our loved ones with us :lol:

yeah I don't want to go anywhere love doesn't go with me but when I need a breakaway feeling,
    I dream, that place is very cool.
    I am going to go "Off the Grid" right now..

I still refer to it as...
    Taking a nap!

:P
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    One reason why I enjoy kayaking is that I dont bring my phone, and I go for hours, practically getting lost. I used to dream about kayaking straight out into the ocean on super calm days until I couldn't see land anymore. Maybe I can make it to the Bahamas one day.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    It's funny/odd how the initial post's "just one day" turned into "disappearing" for seemingly more than that.

Kind of telling, no?

Just because my phone rings, doesn't mean I have to answer it. And I don't. I'm not indispensable.

It's either in or out of your hands.
  • barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    I do it for 24 hours every couple of weeks. I turn off my smart phone. Give the computer the day off. IF anyone who knows me well and really NEEDS to get a hold of me (i.e. family and close friends) they know to call my landline.

I also get to do something like this whenever I visit my Mom. She lives in a remote part of California, cell phone reception in her house is non-existent. When I am there, I check email in the morning w/ my cup of coffee, and that's it.

It is quite liberating, even if just for one day. Try it.

Cheers and be well,
    BS
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
    hedonist wrote:
    It's funny/odd how the initial post's "just one day" turned into "disappearing" for seemingly more than that.

Kind of telling, no?

Just because my phone rings, doesn't mean I have to answer it. And I don't. I'm not indispensable.

No, I meant disappearing for some time right from the start. The "one day" meaning, one day deciding to just up and go without a word.

I don't answer texts or calls all the time, I'm talking about something much more here.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    the wolf wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Kind of telling, no?

No, I meant disappearing for some time right from the start. The "one day" meaning, one day deciding to just up and go without a word.

I don't answer texts or calls all the time, I'm talking about something much more here.
    Ah, my bad. Still no from me. The life here - my guy, my family, our kitties - all of it - not worth pulling a disappearing act. I'd go nuts if someone I love did that - just leaving? No heads-up to anyone? Seems kinda fucked, at least from my perspective.

Which is why I prefer the day-long dropouts ;)
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i've looked into going off the grid - utility wise, but could never afford the set-up.
    as far as disappearing, i would never imagine leaving the ones i love most.

sometimes i wish certain people would go off the grid/disappear.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    hedonist wrote:
    the wolf wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Kind of telling, no?

Ah, my bad. Still no from me. The life here - my guy, my family, our kitties - all of it - not worth pulling a disappearing act. I'd go nuts if someone I love did that - just leaving? No heads-up to anyone? Seems kinda fucked, at least from my perspective.

Which is why I prefer the day-long dropouts ;)

is it safe to say you disapprove of the fella from Into the Wild?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    One reason why I enjoy kayaking is that I dont bring my phone, and I go for hours, practically getting lost. I used to dream about kayaking straight out into the ocean on super calm days until I couldn't see land anymore. Maybe I can make it to the Bahamas one day.

Ever get worried you'll get caught in a strong current? my wife and i were out in the ocean on a peddle boat and all of a sudden land started getting real far away very quickly. Took us an hour of kicking for our lives to make it back to land.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    This girl I work with is in the process of getting of the grid.
    Her and her husband are building a new house in Spokane out in the middle of nowhere. They are using solar panels for electricity...though they'll only have so much juice per day. Water from the well they dug. They are also growing as much food as they can. They even have a beehive for honey and to help pollination.
    Like me, she works from home and is on the computer most of the day so for internet she's using her Verizon 4G MiFi.

I'd love to do this. Well...I'd still want electricity hooked up...but I love the idea of being completely self-sufficient.
    mca47 wrote:
    This girl I work with is in the process of getting of the grid.
    Her and her husband are building a new house in Spokane out in the middle of nowhere. They are using solar panels for electricity...though they'll only have so much juice per day. Water from the well they dug. They are also growing as much food as they can. They even have a beehive for honey and to help pollination.
    Like me, she works from home and is on the computer most of the day so for internet she's using her Verizon 4G MiFi.

I'd love to do this. Well...I'd still want electricity hooked up...but I love the idea of being completely self-sufficient.
    I think they are fucking nuts...
    Just my opinion.

They dug a well, and have a beehive?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: