Options

***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    I "hardened" them off by setting them in the sunroom for a bit and then in the sun. It was actually warmer outside than inside. Never had a problem planting them into the beds before, so I did not do anything different this time around. I guess I should become a bit more meticulous :blush:
  • Options
    On a wonderful sidenote, I just got to see that our magnolia that we planted a couple of weeks ago has four blooms today! Seems like it feels right at home :smiley:
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I've scorched lil plants by transitioning them out too fast. For whatever it is worth, if that is what is going on, they'll probably be okay. Once they get bigger, if you have funked out leaves, just pinch them off.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I will closely watch :) Right now, I am waiting for the rain to come. It's been announced the whole day, the plants are thirsty.
  • Options
    We're in the middle of a storm right now. Rain swirled from directions it never does. Plants are watered tonight! :smile:
  • Options
    It just went over here too. Quite a lot of water!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    My starts are all doing really well, I can probably plant them outside this weekend. I make them spend the days outside, and at night they stay in the garage. The packages said I'd have 70% germination...I got more like 99%, they all look good, so I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to keep, and which ones to kill off, I just don't have enough room to plant them all.

My lemon squash looks so sickly, I'll have to pull it tomorrow. Everything else looks good, a little concerned about the peppers, they haven't gotten any bigger, and are still green.

Had the first strawberry yesterday, it we delicious! Had some romaine, lots of peas too...we've been throwing them in with stir fry, and salads. Those plants are out of control, out grew the tomato cages, so I had to tie on bamboo stakes.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Nice! We went to the garden center on Sunday and got ourselves some more plants because my sedd starters are doing so poorly. We went all crazy, I hope I find room for everything :lol: This time around I even got some eggplant, a japanese kind. WE'll see how that goes. I am just excited to have something going on in the garden finally. The potatoes look fantastic, they are almost at the stage where we need to put more dirt on. The garlic is coming out, which I find fascinating because I have never worked with seed garlic. Only downside is it pours don here like crazy almost every second day. We did not go for raised beds, so I hope the plants will survive the regular flooding.
  • Options
    lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    I have a small raised bed garden. My Anaheim peppers are going crazy. I have harvested a dozen or so already. My Tomatoes are popping out all over. I should have some of those ready for picking in about two weeks. The rest of my garden is herbs. Rosemary, mint and basil. All of the herbs are growing like weeds. Ive been harvesting and giving to co workers already.

I think it helped that we have had so much rain in Houston this spring.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,626
    I got my usual hot pepper extravaganza going. Have some great looking plants going up and some peppers are growing already. I have a bunch of Jalapeno plants, 3 Habanero, some Hot Banana Peppers, some Sweet Banana Peppers, a Hot Portuguese Pepper plant, Serrano Peppers, something else I forgot. Also have a Red Bell Pepper plant, Zucchini, Tomato, and Cherry Tomato. Oh yeah, some basil and chives too.

I had small ones planted, but we had a sudden frost one night in May and wiped out most of what I had. I couldnt get them protected on time. Found a great nursery though who had a great selection of really great plants which were much more mature than the ones ravaged by frost.

Finally getting some rain here too which is good.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,931
    Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Bell peppers
    Beans
    Zucchini
    Lettuce
    Basil
    Chives

Fertilized the Holy Hell out of my garden bed over the last 8 months, so I am hoping for a nice crop of veggies in about 60 days. We will see.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I like to make a Jalapeno/Habanero jelly. I almost have it perfected. Going to try to improve it this year, but it is already better IMO than any one at a farmer's stand I have tried. It is best on Hamburgers.

Also trying to get better at canning peppers. last year was my first try and they are good, but I think there is a ton of improvement and they are about a 3 on 1-10 scale. One batch had too much pickling salt, another, not enough.

I love veggie gardening though. Every year I learn a new lesson. The first year it was spacing/crowding/organization. Second year it was have a plan on what to do with all your crops because a lot of them come quick and cant be consumed in real-time. Third year I learned to not ignore a frost and either transplant the plants to safety or use a cloth insulator.

next year I may try to build a large garden with the rows/fencing/bird lines and stuff. Right now I use raised boxes and planters. It goes well, but space is a bit limiting for me to try a lot of new things.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Have a shared garden with my neighbor. Since we just moved in, I let her get started this year with what she wants, but have cherry tomatoes, blueberries, some herbs and arugula. Think there are a few more things that are slipping my mind.

In back we have a raised box that has Jalapenos, Long Hots, Boston Pickling Cucumbers, basil, and some Pimento de Padron peppers. Feel in love with those little fuckers in Spain and can't want to have them this summer.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Good stuff all around here :plus_one: I put seeds for carrots, radishes, Swiss chard and Belgian endive (experiment this year) in the ground a couple of weeks ago. They are all popping up. We enlarged the garden area with the help of the neighbour's tiller, which was pretty cool. But somehow I wanna try so many things that it still feels limited. We are planning on having little areas all over the backyard one day, with herb patches, veggies etc. I just worked hard for two hours getting the tomatoes, lettuce, bell peppers, zucchini, butternut squash, edamame (another experiment), eggplant (another experiment :lol:), lemon ball cukes, pickled cukes, savoy cabbage, magic black kale, and collard greens in the beds. Oh, and melons too. Another experiment. Our potatoes and garlic are looking fantastic. Then there are some Habaneros that I put in a pot, we'll see how that goes. The lovage from last year came back, as well as the tarragon. I have been cooking with these for a while now. I got parsley coming, and planted another lovage and some basil too. Then there is grapefruit mint. And the raspberry and gooseberry bushes. And two cherry trees haha I guess we're gonna have out hands full. I only canned tomatoes last year, but I would love to pickle more veggies again this year. We'll see what happens. I love that the garden season has finally begun. I wish you all best results!
  • Options
    The magic is starting to happen at our garden. We fenced the whole new patch in now, and it is quite large. It was hard work, but I am happy we did it because now suddenly the cucumber plants are not looking like something nibbled on them anymore. The beans are starting to touch the trellis, and we have some teensy yellow ball squashes. I love my melon patch too. Since all my heiloom plants that I grew from seed did not survive when I put them in, I planted one more seed in the bed. And boom, it came out. It's a "moon and stars" variety with very typical speckles on the skin. You can see the speckles already on the leaves, it looks awesome. We are getting lots of rain and lots of sun, so everything just grows like crazy, and looks different from day to day. The first little "island" has been planted as well, with a serviceberry and a cranberry bush. Today, we got two blueberries and two raspberries that we will put in another one of these islands. This is the best time of the year, I can't wait to start harvesting.
  • Options
    We've got good stuff going on here, too. Tomatoes needing to be trained to go up and through the cages rather than sprawling out onto the driveway. (Got them under control, but they grow quick!) Peppers with little bitty peppers. Onions and herbs happy. A garden plot full of beans that are just now beginning to flower.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    My wild strawberries are all green leaves and no flowers this year. :(
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    The harvest today :)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Very nice! I am still stuck at herbs and radishes, but these are delicious. I guess by the end of the week, the lettuce and the chard can be cut for consumption.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

The harvest today :)

Yuummmm. My tomato plant got eaten by deer :angry: along with one of my cucumber plants; managed to save the other but it is quite a bit behind where it should be. The alpine strawberries are coming along nicely. I can't photograph the harvest because I just eat them each day as they ripen :blush: . Is that basil on the left? I've also got a huge bush of basil, some sage, and rosemary.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    My orange tree has lots of fruit. Too bad we'll be in Ohio by the time it ripens!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam said:

My orange tree has lots of fruit. Too bad we'll be in Ohio by the time it ripens!

Won't it last on the tree a while until you get back? Or do you mean you are moving?
  • Options
    We're moving. I planted the tree on Mother's day a few years ago and this is the first year it has a lot of fruit! AGH!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam said:

We're moving. I planted the tree on Mother's day a few years ago and this is the first year it has a lot of fruit! AGH!

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps the new owners can mail you some? :smile:
  • Options
    :)
    I think the new owners will enjoy the fruit and I'll be glad of that. I want them to love the house as much as we did.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Aw! I guess oranges don't grow in Ohio. But there are tons of other things possible :) Our fig tree is doing really nicely, I heard we can even get fruit here in Michigan. I went out in the rain today in between jobs and did some weeding. And I found out that my first three garbanzo bean seeds that I planted and thought had not come out, did in fact. I put them by the other ones. They look so cool. I cannot wait to see if they carry fruit. The other day, I sprayed the whole garden with a fish fertilizer. Seems like all the plants took it well. I harvested some onions and lovage that day too, and in the spray thingie for the hose was still a bit of that garlic concentrate that I used with it before. So I smelled like a whole meal afterwards :lol:
  • Options
    the constant rain has turned my garden into a jungle.

I think I need to seriously clip the tomato bushes because they are consuming a ton of space and blocking out a number of plants.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

the constant rain has turned my garden into a jungle.

I think I need to seriously clip the tomato bushes because they are consuming a ton of space and blocking out a number of plants.

You probably just need to give them a good suckering. They'll produce more tomatoes that way anyhow.

We'll be enjoying fresh green beans from the garden tonight. First time this year! =)
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i like this thread
    love to grow things
    if it were my garden
    i do things differently
  • Options
    I harvested the first two zucchinis today :smiley: And two sweet, hot peppers. And a tiny tomato. Last week, I picked lettuce, which was delicious. The soil at our oldplace was apparently much better, Facebook showed me a picture from two years ago today, and man, our bounty was triple what I got today. That garden was on former swamp land. I was always joking I would get pregnant if I sat on it naked because it was so freaking fertile :lol: We might be a bit slower here, but we are building up the soil quality, so everything takes a bit longer. I have spotted a bean and all the rest looks pretty good. We only got a tiny problem with Japanese beetles eating out cherry trees and roses. But we will take care of that. Everything else looks great. I cannot wait to try my purple cosmic carrots!