Options

***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793
    So I have literally been playing in SHIT for the last 1/2 hour. I have laid out about 2-3 inches of manure over my garden bed, and am going to let that sit for a week. We are going to get plenty of rain the next 3-5 days. Then next week, I am going to put another 2-3 inches of SHIT in my garden bed. Last year my tomaters didn't do to well, and I wasn't all too thrilled about that situation. So I covered the garden bed with leaves, over the fall and winter, hoping to rejuvenate the soil. Now I have gotten rid of the leaves, and covered the garden bed with SHIT. I will be planting my tomaters, zucchini, lettuce, and a variety of peppers in 2-3 weeks. The 1st 3-4 years my tomaters ROCKED! Last year, not so much. We will see what happens this year.

And my Lilacs aren't looking too good this year either. Not happy about that situation.
    But my flower bed, with all my perennials, that I put together a couple of years ago, is doing FANTASTIC! Going to add some roundabout roses this year, and a few other flowering perennials, in a couple of weeks.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    ^^^^ Around here the Boy Scouts bag and sell manure as a fund raiser each spring. Usually they have it in some random parking lot. The main problem is that they put up these cryptic signs that say "Boy Scout Manure".

Really guys, did no-one think this through?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Shit is good for the garden :lol::plus_one: ! We're gonna dig the beds up this weekend and will finally put the seedlings that I have carefully raised in the last months into the wild! We have loamy/ sandy soil, so we ordered a load of good dirt from a nursery to dig it under. I cannot wait to get going. My giant pumpkin plants are about to explode!

We have two ginormous lilacs in the back of the house which did not bloom much last year, but this year they are full of bids. It's gonna smell amazing in about two weeks, just right for my birthday :smiley: Hubs also bought a beautiful magnolia tree that we planted in front of the house and that has one bloom about to pop - yay! We also planted two cherry trees, with a total of three blooms so far and I got a fig tree today as well. I cannot wait to get my hands dirty. Finally the time is here!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Today was the big community garage sale, I missed the community plant sale, but we found some people selling starts. Picked up:
    *watermelon
    *lemon squash
    *butternut squash
    *heirloom tomatoes
    *beefsteak tomatoes
    *cucumber
    *green bell pepper
    *raspberries
    *fingerling potatoes-already in the bag!
    *spinach
    *romaine lettuce
    *Wala Wala onion (these are the kind that are so sweet, you can eat them like an apple)
    *cilantro

All organic (the last 4 are not for sure)
    Going to grab some trelises, and extra pots tomorrow. Still need to source out garlic, green onions, and basil-prefer holy basil, but I know regular basil is easier to find.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Nice! I wanted to turn the soil over in the garden today, but then it was all cloudy the whole day, so I didn't. But I put my fig tree in a nicer bigger pot and also got some flower seeds into pots for the porch and some herb seeds into pots. The cherry trees start blooming a little (one has one bloom, the other one two haha), and the Magnolia has one bloom that is about to burst. Next weekend I'm gonna have to take off work so I can get my hands dirty and finally get all my babies outside. I cannot wait.

I got my seed garlic from a website. Also got some seed fingerling potatoes from there. They are all sitting in their box, patiently awaiting sunlight and soil.

And the gingers on my kitchen window sill have started developing some sprouts too.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    My asparagus is finally popping up. yay!

My kale, spinach, butter lettuce, strawberries, and all my herbs grew back on their own. I'm just gonna throw some seeds in the beds and cross my fingers. I don't think I will even have time to water this year. I'm so sad because spending time in my garden makes me happy.

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    Has anybody built/purchased a mason bee house? I saw the houses at the garden show, but it had stuff like 'put the bees in the fridge from November to January'...I feel weird about keeping bees in my fridge.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Never bought a bee house and we're not planning on it either. Keeping them in the fridge would also make me feel awkward...

Yay for asparagus, shortstack! They are dormant for three years, right? I'd love to grow some myself too, we eat it a lot. Maybe next year. I saw that my lovage came back from last year, even used it in a salad the other day. Love that stuff. This week I'm gonna build up excitement and will try to start digging. The weekend was so rainy and busy that I did not have time.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    So stoked, my BIL tilled my garden today which means I can plant this year. Not as diverse a garden as usual but the basics - potatoes, beans, peas, beets, kale, onions and garlic. Squash, cucs, melons, tomatoes, carrots, basil and greens in the greenhouses. Love that I can garden, I need it, especially after injuries making it virtually impossible last year. I may stay sane this summer after all.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    That is awesome, notherndragon! I hope it brings you tons of joy!

We get some more dirt delivered today, then things will get real this weekend. I cannot wait!
  • Options
    Anybody an experienced heirloom tomato grower? I have some questions...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Well, not it is raining. I started diging andf turning the soil yesterday and ended up with two nice big blisters on my office hands :lol: We'll see how the day progresses. Might have to wait a bit longer.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Tha landlord planted a magnolia tree right outside my livingroom window and it had lots of lovely, white blossom.
    I'm a lazy gardener, so I went and bought some dahlia plants and put them outside. I will also get wild strawberry plants to go in my back yard. As usual I will compete with the slugs (uurrgh!) as to who comes first to actually eating them when they are ripe.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options

Yay for asparagus, shortstack! They are dormant for three years, right?

yep, this is the third year.
    RKCNDY said:

Anybody an experienced heirloom tomato grower? I have some questions...

I've only got two years experience growing heirloom tomatoes. I bought the soiux, grappoli d'inverno, and another italian type cherry tomato seeds from Baker creek. I had so many tomatoes I didn't know what to do with them. They even came back the next year. I didn't do anything special to grow them, just threw some seed down and made sure they were staked.

• Options

I've only got two years experience growing heirloom tomatoes. I bought the soiux, grappoli d'inverno, and another italian type cherry tomato seeds from Baker creek. I had so many tomatoes I didn't know what to do with them. They even came back the next year. I didn't do anything special to grow them, just threw some seed down and made sure they were staked.

Ok, I bought purple prudence starts, I asked if they should be staked (tomatoes are either determinate or indeterminate), guy says yes. Now that I looked then up, the tomatoes can get up to 1 pound EACH, and the plants will grow 8-10 feet tall...most people said they use concrete reinforcement mesh or rebar to stake them...I hope what I have is strong enough.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Wow, that sounds crazy! I have some Italian tomatoes, some cherry ones, some paste tomatoes and I think one beefsteak style one. Only some of my seed starters got big, I will give the small ones a little more inside. I set the giant pumpkins out today and we basically worked our asses off in the front. We have a little patch around the porch. The former owners had put down a black tarp-ey thing to keep the weeds out and on top of that, piled big pieced gravel. You could not put a shovel in there, which I hated. And it was all overgrown. We ripped the tarp and most of the weeds out and kept some roses and flowers. Then we dumped fresh dirt on top. It looks really pretty now :smiley: I hope to get the rest of the garden going this week. I might buy some tomator plants in case my seedlings fail...
  • Options
    Just dropped way too much on plants, damn local plant sale!
    More Raspberries, strawberries, sage, mint, thyme, basil, tomatoes, peppers, lilacs, and my iris addiction got some love too. I also scored a bunch of citronella and comfrey. I'm running out of garden/greenhouse space.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Ok, I bought purple prudence starts, I asked if they should be staked (tomatoes are either determinate or indeterminate), guy says yes. Now that I looked then up, the tomatoes can get up to 1 pound EACH, and the plants will grow 8-10 feet tall...most people said they use concrete reinforcement mesh or rebar to stake them...I hope what I have is strong enough.

Yeah, I got nuthin.

Dem some hard core maters.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    planted 3 types of tomatoes, a few different kinds of peppers and strawberries yesterday. well, my wife did. we don't really know what the hell we're doing though. you guys water twice a day?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

planted 3 types of tomatoes, a few different kinds of peppers and strawberries yesterday. well, my wife did. we don't really know what the hell we're doing though. you guys water twice a day?

Depends on the circumstances. If it is really hot (around 30 degrees-90 for the yanks- or more) and the plants are in a green house than yes. Otherwise once a day while every thing gets established(about a week) and then every other day.
    The big thing to check for is moisture content below the soil surface, don't rely on weather the ground looks dry at the surface. Check to about a half inch below if damp your good. Once you find the happy place for your location and growing area it will be easy.

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Depends on the circumstances. If it is really hot (around 30 degrees-90 for the yanks- or more) and the plants are in a green house than yes. Otherwise once a day while every thing gets established(about a week) and then every other day.
    The big thing to check for is moisture content below the soil surface, don't rely on weather the ground looks dry at the surface. Check to about a half inch below if damp your good. Once you find the happy place for your location and growing area it will be easy.
    Mulch is helpful in keeping weeds down and moisture in. If you planted tomatoes outside and water twice a day, you may end up with an ugly thing called Blossom End Rot. Take caution with that.

I still have the butterfly gardens in the back to manage, but I have weeded, transplanted and seeded things in the front beds, planted hanging baskets (because those things at the store cost too much), trimmed ivy down to a manageable sum, trimmed the rose bush (it was up to the overhang), transplanted tomato volunteers, planted some purchased pepper plants, weeded the driveway (it's gravel), got the rain barrel up for operation and planted the top of it and my kiddo weeded and planted our little garden plot in some delightfully delicious non-GMO Italian green beans.

I'm tired.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Our nighbour lent us his tiller today, and Cav tilled like a maniac. We turned former lawn into a garden bed, and it looks awesome. The garden has triple size now. I planted some of my tomatoes, some cukes, melons and put seeds in fr carrots, chard, beets, radishes and beans. And potatoes! Somehow my fingerling seeders and the seed garlic turned into a moldy mess, I guess I stored them wrong. But thank goodness not all was lost. Now we wait and hope that the critters don't dig everything out. The robins were stoked for their dinner :)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    deadendp said:

Mulch is helpful in keeping weeds down and moisture in. If you planted tomatoes outside and water twice a day, you may end up with an ugly thing called Blossom End Rot. Take caution with that.

I still have the butterfly gardens in the back to manage, but I have weeded, transplanted and seeded things in the front beds, planted hanging baskets (because those things at the store cost too much), trimmed ivy down to a manageable sum, trimmed the rose bush (it was up to the overhang), transplanted tomato volunteers, planted some purchased pepper plants, weeded the driveway (it's gravel), got the rain barrel up for operation and planted the top of it and my kiddo weeded and planted our little garden plot in some delightfully delicious non-GMO Italian green beans.

I'm tired.
    Wait, wait, wait....tomato volunteers? Your tomato plants live through the winter and produce new ones? Where I live, tomato plants die in the fall and you buy new ones the next spring.

Or maybe it's just me - I'm no whiz at gardening.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    deadendp said:

I'm tired.
    thanks guys!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

deadendp said:

I'm tired.
    Wait, wait, wait....tomato volunteers? Your tomato plants live through the winter and produce new ones? Where I live, tomato plants die in the fall and you buy new ones the next spring.

Or maybe it's just me - I'm no whiz at gardening.
    My tomato volunteers are from the little cherry tomatoes that fell to the ground, were far too squishy for me to pick up (ewww) and I left them for the critters. Sometimes the seed stays viable and sprout new tomatoes for the next year. Since I don't give Monsanto my money and the seed I buy is pure non-GMO, tomatoes will come up the next year. I think that I had maybe 12 volunteers total. I gave my neighbors a handful of volunteers and saved three for us.

I buy seed from Baker Creek Seed. Since you are in Canada, you may not be able to purchase seed from them. I'm also zone 5/6 for planting. (We used to be 5, but it seems like the zone 6 line shifts back and forth right about where I'm at.)

I love volunteers. Currently up to my eyeballs in Rose of Sharon and milkweed volunteers.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

<
    My tomato volunteers are from the little cherry tomatoes that fell to the ground, were far too squishy for me to pick up (ewww) and I left them for the critters. Sometimes the seed stays viable and sprout new tomatoes for the next year. Since I don't give Monsanto my money and the seed I buy is pure non-GMO, tomatoes will come up the next year.

ah....so this is why my cherry tomatoes took over my garden and came back the next year. good to know, thanks.

• Options
    ^^ They are the tomato that keeps on giving. And giving. And giving.
  • Options
    I ate the first pea from my plant today...it was delicious. I need to give them more room next year...they are getting huge.
    My Chinese broccoli got too woody, I need to harvest it sooner, but I'm glad they are doing well. I see the baby raspberries and strawberries pushing out.
    I bought one of those roll out flower mats (it's the butterfly and hummingbird one), and despite the reviews, it's filled out the planter nicely.
    The rest of it looks alright, I hope everything else will catch up. They seem to be just hanging out, not getting any bigger, but at least they didn't die.
    Now I need to find a spot for corn and sunflowers...hope the corn will do alright, I'm really late planting it.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Good luck with the corn! Ours turned out pretty good, we did it twice. Not sure we will have some this year. The patch is bigger, but somehow there is no room. We planted a lot of potatoes and garlic, and I have hardly any room left lol At this point, I am closely watching the baby plants I set out this weekend. Somehow they all seemed to have been shocked by being put outside. I hope it was not too early for them to go into the garden...
  • Options
    ^^ Did you harden them off or take them straight out from the house and directly to the ground?