RNDM Acts of Kindness

2»

Comments

• carly316 wrote:
    My biggest act of kindness started 3 years ago when we found out 2 of our nieces were taken from their home and put with a foster family. We fought tooth and nail through all of the red tape for a month (which felt like an eternity) to become licensed foster parents so that we could take them. They had already moved 10 times in 10 years, being moved from school to school and apartment to apartment. We couldn't wait to give them some stability. Then their deadbeat dad took us to court because he suddenly wanted custody of them (rather, he didn't want to have to pay us child support-especially since he couldn't keep a job to save his life). Their mom came over every weekend to spend time with them, which we had to supervise. Then, one weekend last April, she didn't show up. We called and she wouldn't call back. The following Tuesday, a cop is at my door and I find out that they found her deceased in her apartment (heart attack - at 42). I had to tell a 12 & 17-year-old that their mother passed away. :cry: Then we were granted permanent guardianship. The oldest will be 18 next week but she has a severe cognitive disability so we are currently getting guardianship of her for the rest of her life. The only right she retained is her right to vote. She'll never drive, never live alone, and possibly never work. I knew I would always be a parent once my first was born but now I'll always be a parent who needs to care for someone for the rest of my life. Many terrible circumstances got those girls to this place but I can honestly say that we saved them. Literally. We live in a tiny (but nice) house. We can't even all fit at the dinner table but having dinner together is a must so my hubby and I stand and eat. We have 8 people and 4 bedrooms. It can be tough but it taught me a lot and made me live the "kind" lifestyle. I wouldn't change it for the world!!
    Wow!!! You are an amazing person!! I too have bounced through
    The state's system! So I know what a blessing you are being to those children .
    That's a long, fucked up story.. But I know that just like myself and my older
    sister, that those children are blessed to have someone like you in their corner!
    As a Christian, my favorite scripture is " be careful how you tend to people,
    For you may be entertaining angels, unaware."
    You are an angel though most cannot see it. Thank you for being their
    Champion!! I hope we get to meet each other in July!
  • carly316carly316 Posts: 332
    carly316 wrote:
    My biggest act of kindness started 3 years ago when we found out 2 of our nieces were taken from their home and put with a foster family. We fought tooth and nail through all of the red tape for a month (which felt like an eternity) to become licensed foster parents so that we could take them. They had already moved 10 times in 10 years, being moved from school to school and apartment to apartment. We couldn't wait to give them some stability. Then their deadbeat dad took us to court because he suddenly wanted custody of them (rather, he didn't want to have to pay us child support-especially since he couldn't keep a job to save his life). Their mom came over every weekend to spend time with them, which we had to supervise. Then, one weekend last April, she didn't show up. We called and she wouldn't call back. The following Tuesday, a cop is at my door and I find out that they found her deceased in her apartment (heart attack - at 42). I had to tell a 12 & 17-year-old that their mother passed away. :cry: Then we were granted permanent guardianship. The oldest will be 18 next week but she has a severe cognitive disability so we are currently getting guardianship of her for the rest of her life. The only right she retained is her right to vote. She'll never drive, never live alone, and possibly never work. I knew I would always be a parent once my first was born but now I'll always be a parent who needs to care for someone for the rest of my life. Many terrible circumstances got those girls to this place but I can honestly say that we saved them. Literally. We live in a tiny (but nice) house. We can't even all fit at the dinner table but having dinner together is a must so my hubby and I stand and eat. We have 8 people and 4 bedrooms. It can be tough but it taught me a lot and made me live the "kind" lifestyle. I wouldn't change it for the world!!
    Wow!!! You are an amazing person!! I too have bounced through
    The state's system! So I know what a blessing you are being to those children .
    That's a long, fucked up story.. But I know that just like myself and my older
    sister, that those children are blessed to have someone like you in their corner!
    As a Christian, my favorite scripture is " be careful how you tend to people,
    For you may be entertaining angels, unaware."
    You are an angel though most cannot see it. Thank you for being their
    Champion!! I hope we get to meet each other in July!
    that really means a lot. thank you for the kind words. I'm not a religious person but that scripture is beautiful! I'd definitely love to meet you in July. you can never have too many good-hearted people in your life and I'm running short on them.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    This isn't a total big deal - but my son and I just went to the market and there were a bunch of crumpled twenty dollar bills and a receipt by the entrance, at least a hundred dollars. And my son and I scooped them up - I thought about giving the money to the manager and then asked my son to look around the parking lot and sure enough, there was an old lady loading her car. We went over and asked if she'd dropped her cash and she patted her pockets and said, "Oh no," and we gave her back the money. She said thank you, she was going to use the money to take her grandchildren out to dinner.

I was proud of my son too - that we had the exact same reaction. This money isn't ours.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    every single thing i do is cruel
    kiss my big toe
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Enkidu wrote:
    This isn't a total big deal - but my son and I just went to the market and there were a bunch of crumpled twenty dollar bills and a receipt by the entrance, at least a hundred dollars. And my son and I scooped them up - I thought about giving the money to the manager and then asked my son to look around the parking lot and sure enough, there was an old lady loading her car. We went over and asked if she'd dropped her cash and she patted her pockets and said, "Oh no," and we gave her back the money. She said thank you, she was going to use the money to take her grandchildren out to dinner.

I was proud of my son too - that we had the exact same reaction. This money isn't ours.

:clap: love it!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Enkidu wrote:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I'm trying to be more charitable so I signed up to serve beer & cheese at a charity event that benefits the Boys & Girls Club. Although, I get in free with unlimited beer while everyone else has to pay $45 to walk through the door. I kinda feel guilty now. :think:
  • carly316 wrote:
    I'm trying to be more charitable so I signed up to serve beer & cheese at a charity event that benefits the Boys & Girls Club. Although, I get in free with unlimited beer while everyone else has to pay $45 to walk through the door. I kinda feel guilty now. :think:
    Lol!! I am currently working on raising money for
    Fibromyalgia .
    carly316 wrote:
    Lol!! I am currently working on raising money for
    Fibromyalgia .
    :thumbup:
    This is something that someone else did for mine and another family.

My niece (who is now officially 18 and is legally my daughter, since it hit midnight in the Midwest), has a severe cognitive disability and despite being in a class with other kids with disabilities, she never really connected with anyone since we got her 3 years ago. Well yesterday, her case manager at school sent me an email and called my cell in an excited frenzy because there's a newer girl in her class and the two girls hit it off. Due to the disability, we have a very close relationship with her teacher/case manager (she even comes to our family functions) and it's become almost a friendship and I completely trust her to watch out for my daughter's well-being. She was so excited because the two girls don't have friends outside of their classroom and both us & the other girls parents are very involved with the school and community so she thought it was a good fit if they tried to connect with each other outside of school. The other girl is involved in the special olympics and other runs where as my daughter is too afraid to do just about anything. The teacher guaranteed I could trust my daughter with this girl's parents and she told the other parents the same about us. She gave the mother my cell and they have a play date and sleep over this weekend. I have a feeling this is going to change both of their lives immensely! Forever! That small act of seeing the connection and making it happen in a matter of hours and knowing how big of a positive impact it could be on both of them is just amazing. :P
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    edited March 2013
    I've only come across this thread for the 1st time tonight & absolutely do believe in doing RNDM acts of kindness whenever possible, even a smile to a stranger while walking down the street. I can't think of any other specific example right now but wanted to snag the thread + say that ^^^^ is fabulous news carly316!!

I'm not religious but happy Easter to all. :)
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    lovely thread!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    morello wrote:
    I've only come across this thread for the 1st time tonight & absolutely do believe in doing RNDM acts of kindness whenever possible, even a smile to a stranger while walking down the street. I can't think of any other specific example right now but wanted to snag the thread + say that ^^^^ is fabulous news carly316!!

I'm not religious but happy Easter to all. :)

I totally agree! It's sad to think that a smile to a stranger is an act of kindness but these days, it is. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. :D
    8-)