RNDM Acts of Kindness

carly316carly316 Posts: 332
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm tired of reading all of the negativity. All social media has just become a bitchfest.

I'd love to hear about some random acts of kindness going on. Knowing Pearl Jam's attitude towards life, I imagine most of us follow their religion of "don't be an asshole". Let's hear what ya got. It doesn't have to be big to be kind.

I donated a basketball to the Boys & Girls Club, in honor of Jeff's birthday. AND, I didn't flip off the dick that almost hit me today (I think refraining from being an asshole is an act of kindness in itself :) ).

my makeshift avatar...
ry%3D400
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I helped Dimitris make sure all the SS Participants
    Got a gift last year.. It was double fun!!
  • carly316carly316 Posts: 332
    I helped Dimitris make sure all the SS Participants

Awesome! :thumbup:
  • Keep bumping this thread there's tons of mind blowing acts
    of kindness that I have seen in the 10c over the last
    22 years.
    Keep bumping this thread there's tons of mind blowing acts
    22 years.

I can only imagine. I can't wait to read about them!

(P.S. I'm so sorry about your kitty.)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    I helped Dimitris make sure all the SS Participants
    and thanks for that :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    btw,this is awesome thread!! :thumbup: :clap:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • carly316 wrote:
    Keep bumping this thread there's tons of mind blowing acts
    22 years.

I can only imagine. I can't wait to read about them!

Thank you.. He's cuddled in my lap right now.. Normally
    he'd be purring.. But he's just so sick. I hate that it came to
    This.. Because humans are the reason for his short life!
    but then this thread promises to brighten my day, by proving
    there are angels amongst us that change our worlds forever
    with just one RNDM act.. And suddenly we have faith once more!
    Thank you for this thread!
  • I helped Dimitris make sure all the SS Participants
    and thanks for that :)
    You are so welcome!! The happiness of the person was worth
    by far more than the money that was spent!! And you're really
    good at that SS THING!!! Lol!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,665
    Great idea. Whenever being nice or kind happens the same energy usually gets pushed along. The whole aching planet could use less cruelty and greed and more caring, sharing, giving, supporting, uplifting.

Here's one- this sounds weird but it was cool. Yesterday I sold books in a booth at this spring's Sacramento Antiquarian Book Fair. I didn't all that well (only a few vendors did) but we had fun and my most interesting sale was an inexpensive book bought by this really old guy who said, "Damn you, you made me spend money. I wasn't going to buy ANYTHING!" I laughed and told him I wouldn't tell anyone if he bought this book. He said OK and gave me a few bills then leaned over close and mumbled, "You asshole, you made me spend money. I wasn't going to buy anything." :lol: The guy was a stone cold deadpan comic- brilliant! Totally cracked me up and this happened near the end of a long day of book fair but the old guy gave me something to laugh about, something funny by which to remember the day.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux wrote:
    Great idea. Whenever being nice or kind happens the same energy usually gets pushed along. The whole aching planet could use less cruelty and greed and more caring, sharing, giving, supporting, uplifting.

Here's one- this sounds weird but it was cool. Yesterday I sold books in a booth at this spring's Sacramento Antiquarian Book Fair. I didn't all that well (only a few vendors did) but we had fun and my most interesting sale was an inexpensive book bought by this really old guy who said, "Damn you, you made me spend money. I wasn't going to buy ANYTHING!" I laughed and told him I wouldn't tell anyone if he bought this book. He said OK and gave me a few bills then leaned over close and mumbled, "You asshole, you made me spend money. I wasn't going to buy anything." :lol: The guy was a stone cold deadpan comic- brilliant! Totally cracked me up and this happened near the end of a long day of book fair but the old guy gave me something to laugh about, something funny by which to remember the day.
    :-)
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Love this thread! Another board member recently offered me some bootlegs just bc I mentioned I liked a particular show and was looking for more from that year. Was definitely not expecting that and am so happy to share a couple with him that he didn't have. My hubby doesn't get why a stranger would offer such a kindness. I'm so glad that my view of the world allows such acts to not surprise me.

I was finishing with an elderly patient of mine last week. I was discharging her and wouldn't be seeing her regularly anymore. I've come to feel close to her and always enjoy my visits with her. I told her I would call her sometime to check on her. She has no family in the immediate area. She told me "Jennifer just stop by sometime so I can put my eyes on you again." It was such a funny and sweet thing to say. It really made me feel good. I love old people!

Always offer to help that old man/woman who is struggling a bit to open the door or push the grocery cart or walk across an open parking lot. If you are blessed to be old someday, someone will help you too.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Not 10C related, but when I lived on the eastern shore of MD, I had to cross the Bay Bridge which cost $2.50 to cross. On occasion I would pay for the car behind me. I figured it was a small gesture that would put a smile on someone's face. One particular time I did this, I must have made the guy's day because he ended up catching up to me on the bridge. He passed me, honking and waving with a big smile on his face. :mrgreen:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    carly316 wrote:
    I'm tired of reading all of the negativity. All social media has just become a bitchfest.

I'd love to hear about some random acts of kindness going on. Knowing Pearl Jam's attitude towards life, I imagine most of us follow their religion of "don't be an asshole". Let's hear what ya got. It doesn't have to be big to be kind.

I donated a basketball to the Boys & Girls Club, in honor of Jeff's birthday. AND, I didn't flip off the dick that almost hit me today (I think refraining from being an asshole is an act of kindness in itself :) ).

my makeshift avatar...
    ry%3D400

was out a bar/restaurant a few weeks ago and my cousin and his wife and 3 young kids came in to eat and sat fairly close to where we were sitting and after their dinner i went up and told them how great their kids were during dinner. we didn't hear a peep from them in over an hour. my comment seemed to really please them. i was so glad i said it. it's really amazing how just a sentence or two can make someone's day.

and would saying how great you look in picture at the top of this thread count?
    afroannnie wrote:
    Not 10C related, but when I lived on the eastern shore of MD, I had to cross the Bay Bridge which cost $2.50 to cross. On occasion I would pay for the car behind me. I figured it was a small gesture that would put a smile on someone's face. One particular time I did this, I must have made the guy's day because he ended up catching up to me on the bridge. He passed me, honking and waving with a big smile on his face. :mrgreen:
    love it!!!!
    It's therapeutic to come home from a long day and read these stories! It's very calming. Thanks so much for sharing!! :)
    carly316 wrote:
    Thank you.. He's cuddled in my lap right now.. Normally
    he'd be purring.. But he's just so sick. I hate that it came to
    This.. Because humans are the reason for his short life!
    but then this thread promises to brighten my day, by proving
    there are angels amongst us that change our worlds forever
    with just one RNDM act.. And suddenly we have faith once more!
    Thank you for this thread!

He's very lucky to have you caring for him. Hang in there. Stay strong. You have friends here supporting you. ;)
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I love this thread! Posted about this yesterday, but worthy of a post again. I was able surprise a friend I made at Made In America with an EV pick a couple months ago (due to the kindness of a fellow board member who was able to gift me the pick ever so kindly for free!). The other day I received a surprise package from the friend with a 2011 EV Sniper, 2012 EV Sniper, LBC/Wishlist single, and a really awesome bottle opener keychain with 'Eddie Vedder' written in the Corona font. Haven't been able to stop smiling, she so didn't need to do that!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Whispering Hands was my replacement SS and I can Testisfy, she went above and beyond!!

I suscribe to the kind lifestyle.. Latest one, hmmm.. We gave a homeless guy some monkey bread on Saturday. We loved the way it tasted, but he looked like he could use it more than us...

I believe in doing the right thing. I have changed tires for strangers on the side of the road, given stranded motorists rides, etc.. I hope I am just not making up for all of the bad stuff I have done..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    brianlux wrote:

:lol::lol:
    lets start with something pj thing..

there is a girl from Australia,didnt have a tix for the second day at Alpine,i saw her post that searching for one and i had a spare cos my ticket-tour buddy,Eva came from Slovenia to Alpine only for day one,so i gave my spare to her for free
    same time Kasia,the girl from Australia ,and before read my pm about offering to her my spare tix ,found tix,from someone else.and made a deal.so,then she find another member and gave that ticket she found for free,and in the end,some random person,saw night 2 for free at alpine..

the funny thing is..me and Kasia,(we was all day tolgether at alpine at night 2) ,15 min before pj go on stage,we lost eachother at the lawn .. :lol: ..and we meet again after one year at Prague for pj europe 2012 tour!! :lol:
    Love this thread! Another board member recently offered me some bootlegs just bc I mentioned I liked a particular show and was looking for more from that year. Was definitely not expecting that and am so happy to share a couple with him that he didn't have. My hubby doesn't get why a stranger would offer such a kindness. I'm so glad that my view of the world allows such acts to not surprise me.

I was finishing with an elderly patient of mine last week. I was discharging her and wouldn't be seeing her regularly anymore. I've come to feel close to her and always enjoy my visits with her. I told her I would call her sometime to check on her. She has no family in the immediate area. She told me "Jennifer just stop by sometime so I can put my eyes on you again." It was such a funny and sweet thing to say. It really made me feel good. I love old people!

Always offer to help that old man/woman who is struggling a bit to open the door or push the grocery cart or walk across an open parking lot. If you are blessed to be old someday, someone will help you too.

My husband is the same way but I have the same attitude as you. That is so sweet what that woman said! It makes the job very rewarding, I'm sure. Kudos to you for having the heart to do what you do for a living. It takes a special person.

"Always offer to help that old man/woman who is struggling a bit to open the door or push the grocery cart or walk across an open parking lot. If you are blessed to be old someday, someone will help you too." - WORDS TO LIVE BY! :thumbup:
    afroannnie wrote:

That totally rocks!! Good idea!
    pjhawks wrote:

was out a bar/restaurant a few weeks ago and my cousin and his wife and 3 young kids came in to eat and sat fairly close to where we were sitting and after their dinner i went up and told them how great their kids were during dinner. we didn't hear a peep from them in over an hour. my comment seemed to really please them. i was so glad i said it. it's really amazing how just a sentence or two can make someone's day.

and would saying how great you look in picture at the top of this thread count?

Being a mother of 6, I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful it is to hear someone say that! I've been told that a handful of times and it just makes all those hard times of disciplining our kids totally worth it.

And yes, that counts! ;) Thank you - that was sweet. (I can't get my avatar to work so that was my alternative.)
    carly316 wrote:

Being a mother of 6,
    well,if That isnt an Acts of Kindness,i dont know what it is then...
    samjam wrote:
    I love this thread! Posted about this yesterday, but worthy of a post again. I was able surprise a friend I made at Made In America with an EV pick a couple months ago (due to the kindness of a fellow board member who was able to gift me the pick ever so kindly for free!). The other day I received a surprise package from the friend with a 2011 EV Sniper, 2012 EV Sniper, LBC/Wishlist single, and a really awesome bottle opener keychain with 'Eddie Vedder' written in the Corona font. Haven't been able to stop smiling, she so didn't need to do that!

Way cool! A circle of kindness :P
    Caveeze wrote:
    Whispering Hands was my replacement SS and I can Testisfy, she went above and beyond!!

I suscribe to the kind lifestyle.. Latest one, hmmm.. We gave a homeless guy some monkey bread on Saturday. We loved the way it tasted, but he looked like he could use it more than us...

I believe in doing the right thing. I have changed tires for strangers on the side of the road, given stranded motorists rides, etc.. I hope I am just not making up for all of the bad stuff I have done..

I hope there's a Caveeze around when I need one! :-D
    lets start with something pj thing..

there is a girl from Australia,didnt have a tix for the second day at Alpine,i saw her post that searching for one and i had a spare cos my ticket-tour buddy,Eva came from Slovenia to Alpine only for day one,so i gave my spare to her for free
    same time Kasia,the girl from Australia ,and before read my pm about offering to her my spare tix ,found tix,from someone else.and made a deal.so,then she find another member and gave that ticket she found for free,and in the end,some random person,saw night 2 for free at alpine..

the funny thing is..me and Kasia,(we was all day tolgether at alpine at night 2) ,15 min before pj go on stage,we lost eachother at the lawn .. :lol: ..and we meet again after one year at Prague for pj europe 2012 tour!! :lol:

Holy shit! :o What are the odds?!
    carly316 wrote:

Being a mother of 6,
    ;)
    My biggest act of kindness started 3 years ago when we found out 2 of our nieces were taken from their home and put with a foster family. We fought tooth and nail through all of the red tape for a month (which felt like an eternity) to become licensed foster parents so that we could take them. They had already moved 10 times in 10 years, being moved from school to school and apartment to apartment. We couldn't wait to give them some stability. Then their deadbeat dad took us to court because he suddenly wanted custody of them (rather, he didn't want to have to pay us child support-especially since he couldn't keep a job to save his life). Their mom came over every weekend to spend time with them, which we had to supervise. Then, one weekend last April, she didn't show up. We called and she wouldn't call back. The following Tuesday, a cop is at my door and I find out that they found her deceased in her apartment (heart attack - at 42). I had to tell a 12 & 17-year-old that their mother passed away. :cry: Then we were granted permanent guardianship. The oldest will be 18 next week but she has a severe cognitive disability so we are currently getting guardianship of her for the rest of her life. The only right she retained is her right to vote. She'll never drive, never live alone, and possibly never work. I knew I would always be a parent once my first was born but now I'll always be a parent who needs to care for someone for the rest of my life. Many terrible circumstances got those girls to this place but I can honestly say that we saved them. Literally. We live in a tiny (but nice) house. We can't even all fit at the dinner table but having dinner together is a must so my hubby and I stand and eat. We have 8 people and 4 bedrooms. It can be tough but it taught me a lot and made me live the "kind" lifestyle. I wouldn't change it for the world!!
    carly316 wrote:
    My biggest act of kindness started 3 years ago when we found out 2 of our nieces were taken from their home and put with a foster family. We fought tooth and nail through all of the red tape for a month (which felt like an eternity) to become licensed foster parents so that we could take them. They had already moved 10 times in 10 years, being moved from school to school and apartment to apartment. We couldn't wait to give them some stability. Then their deadbeat dad took us to court because he suddenly wanted custody of them (rather, he didn't want to have to pay us child support-especially since he couldn't keep a job to save his life). Their mom came over every weekend to spend time with them, which we had to supervise. Then, one weekend last April, she didn't show up. We called and she wouldn't call back. The following Tuesday, a cop is at my door and I find out that they found her deceased in her apartment (heart attack - at 42). I had to tell a 12 & 17-year-old that their mother passed away. :cry: Then we were granted permanent guardianship. The oldest will be 18 next week but she has a severe cognitive disability so we are currently getting guardianship of her for the rest of her life. The only right she retained is her right to vote. She'll never drive, never live alone, and possibly never work. I knew I would always be a parent once my first was born but now I'll always be a parent who needs to care for someone for the rest of my life. Many terrible circumstances got those girls to this place but I can honestly say that we saved them. Literally. We live in a tiny (but nice) house. We can't even all fit at the dinner table but having dinner together is a must so my hubby and I stand and eat. We have 8 people and 4 bedrooms. It can be tough but it taught me a lot and made me live the "kind" lifestyle. I wouldn't change it for the world!!
    carly316 wrote:

Being a mother of 6,

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    carly316 wrote:

My husband is the same way but I have the same attitude as you. That is so sweet what that woman said! It makes the job very rewarding, I'm sure. Kudos to you for having the heart to do what you do for a living. It takes a special person.

"Always offer to help that old man/woman who is struggling a bit to open the door or push the grocery cart or walk across an open parking lot. If you are blessed to be old someday, someone will help you too." - WORDS TO LIVE BY! :thumbup:

Everyday my patients give me more back than I could possibly give to them. I truly am blessed to be doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. Regarding you having 6 kids and your post above.... That is truly a selfless act of kindness and test of strength and patience. They are lucky to have you.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2