Options

Wear Your Music - Musicians Guitar String Bracelets

dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
edited August 2013 in The Porch
http://www.wearyourmusic.org/store/famous_artists

I think it'd be cool if the members of PJ signed up to this, it is is a company who make jewellery (bracelets mainly) from used guitar strings, then sell them for charity.
They aren't cheap (prices vary) but the profits go to the charity chosen by the musician, the strings get recycled into something cool and fans are given something else to covet.
It seems more and more musicians are doing it, maybe Pete Townsend and Jack Johnson have already mentioned it to Ed...
2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Very cool...but $500 for Eric Clapton? :shock:
    Not saying he isn't worth it, but...holy crap!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure where the prices come from, them or the artist.
    I guess there's also the amount of strings they get as well... most seem to be about $100 which I thought was still pricey in a way!
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    loads of ££££s id want a signed certificate to show it was genuine :lol::lol: nice find tho dottles :D
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,021
    "Get a FREE T-SHIRT with any purchase over $50!! Just enter your size in the comments box at check out!"

SOLD!! But I don't see any PJ merch. :|
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    SD48277 wrote:
    Very cool...but $500 for Eric Clapton? :shock:
    Not saying he isn't worth it, but...holy crap!

that's so typical of him! lol :roll: i'll have some balls and say he's not worth it. and yes i'm a fan.

love the idea thou.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    demetrios wrote:
    "Get a FREE T-SHIRT with any purchase over $50!! Just enter your size in the comments box at check out!"

SOLD!! But I don't see any PJ merch. :|

:lol::lol:
    If they got involved they could raise a fair amount for their various charities, but demand might outstrip supply! :lol:
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Very cool idea!

I'd buy one! :D
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I think used strings are unsanitary, I can't imagine paying so much money for dead skin cells. :sick:
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    This has been done before by PJ -small scale though
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    This has been done before by PJ -small scale though

In bracelet form? I remembered donated PJ strings but not in bracelet form.
  • Options
    That was the original idea but everyone asked for the strings and not the bracelet !
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    That was the original idea but everyone asked for the strings and not the bracelet !

That's interesting, I'd want the bracelet I think, I guess people framed the strings?
  • Options
    dottles wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

That's interesting, I'd want the bracelet I think, I guess people framed the strings?

I would do both. Or just frame it. hmm .. but it's a bracelet, so I got's to wear it!
    Decisions decisions on PJ treats! :crazy:
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I love the idea! I would take donated strings, and string a pick on them for a necklace! I would even see how to make rings so they wouldn't cost so much.

Hey PJ! got any strings you want to donate? I will make jewelry out of it, and sell them for your charity! (I have so many beads, findings and such...)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I love the idea! I would take donated strings, and string a pick on them for a necklace! I would even see how to make rings so they wouldn't cost so much.

Hey PJ! got any strings you want to donate? I will make jewelry out of it, and sell them for your charity! (I have so many beads, findings and such...)

I'd buy one from you :mrgreen:
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    dottles wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I'd buy one from you :mrgreen:

ooohhh! Maybe if I happen to run into Mike or Ed, or Jeff, I'll ask them for a donation. :lol:

I have some friends in different bands. I'll ask them for more supplies so I can practice!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    RKCNDY wrote:

I like the idea of rings. I would totally buy one from you. :)
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    From an another forum, :?

"06-11-2012, 07:50 AM
    Hi Max,
    That is a problematic situation with several aspects. If you had a composite guitar strung with Elixer Polywebs, it would simply be a matter of using an alcohol mist on the fingerboard and strings.

With a wood fingerboard, however, it is porous, so there is no simple solution to make it safe.

You could, however, keep a large container of anti bacterial hand lotion with you and remind each student that for their safety they must use it before and after using the guitar.

HE

Hi all

I teach guitar as part of my work for an organisation which helps people who can be street homeless, have alcohol/drug problems, be socially excluded, etc. (or any combinations of these things).

The fact is that some of the people I teach have very poor hygiene levels, although I should add that some do not have any problems with hygiene.

Most of the students use a guitar which belongs to the organisation. I try my best to give the strings a good clean between lessons, but it is not always easy. I've been thinking more and more about this and wondered if anyone knows if there is a way I can not only clean the strings but also anti-bacterialise them, partly for reasons if hygiene, but also as a measure of infection control.

On the subject of the latter point, does anyone have any idea of how high the risk of cross infection can be with sharing a guitar?

Not an everyday question I'm sure, but any input would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Max"

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru ... 54737.html
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Cool idea. It just seems like you would have no idea weather that person really played it or not, regardless of what they guarantee. Unless I see it come off Pete's guitar, I am not paying $300. Also it would not take too long for the salts in your skin to corrode the strings and they break. Not trying to be all negative, just a skeptical person I guess.

I really want the one played by... The Vans Warped Tour?? :?
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    dottles wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Yes, thats what I did Leanne!!! got one of each
  • Options
    Cool idea. It just seems like you would have no idea weather that person really played it or not, regardless of what they guarantee. Unless I see it come off Pete's guitar, I am not paying $300. Also it would not take too long for the salts in your skin to corrode the strings and they break. Not trying to be all negative, just a skeptical person I guess.

I really want the one played by... The Vans Warped Tour?? :?

I guess, that's the risk you take with anything like this. Plus the strings are sort of weaved with a silver/metal wire by the looks of it. I think $300 is :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

re hygiene, I guess for me it's being mixed with new metals, I am not sure if they are cleaned in anyway first but I kind of equate it to antique or vintage jewellery. Or even beaded jewellery, I bought a beaded bracelet last week, it came from a basket of bracelets. I'd no idea how long they'd been for sale, how many people had picked them up, felt them etc, yet still bought one and wore it straight away.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    dottles wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Yes, thats what I did Leanne!!! got one of each

very cool, and I suitably jealous... as per usual :D
  • Options
    Anyone who genuinely wants one of these items please check Lost Dogs shortly.