2»

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    hedonist wrote:
    Leno
    Fallon
    Conan
    The rest of em

Throw them all off the air, and show reruns of Johnny Carson.
    Carson was just a class act - even with McMahon by his side!
    !)

didn't carson beat his wife?

:eh:
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    nbc is clearly worried about kimmel's numbers...and they should be...i watched kimmel recently and he has become a good host...i can definitely seeing him taking over as the top late night host

fallon isn't ready and nbc shouldn't push him...as long as they pay him, leno will do the same shitty show he's done since 1993

dave seems to like doing his job again...i can see him staying on for another 5-ish years....and hopefully cbs won't pull a nbc and let Ferguson go...he is a great talk show host and will be excellent in replacing dave
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    If you had Carson reruns 3 days a week, right now.
    I wonder what the ratings would be.
    Put Carson reruns up against Leno, Fallon, Conan, and the rest of them.
    Carson would still win.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    hedonist wrote:
    Carson was just a class act - even with McMahon by his side!
    !)

didn't carson beat his wife?

:eh:
    Did he? I just did a quick search and could only find that one of his wives claimed he did.

So yeah...he remains in my "class act" file ;)
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Well it appears that Howard Stern may replace Fallon.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/t ... 8RvXN2Y6pN

I think that would be a pretty good lineup. Fallon, Stern, Daily.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Doesn't make sense too me ... the article says Jay has great ratings and Stern is only 3 years younger. Maybe that is why NBC consistently loses the ratings war ... and doesn't rating determine advertising rates?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    lukin2006 wrote:

Doesn't make sense too me ... the article says Jay has great ratings and Stern is only 3 years younger. Maybe that is why NBC consistently loses the ratings war ... and doesn't rating determine advertising rates?
    NBC wants to be in first in the coveted 18-49 age demographic. Don't think they are right now.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Newch91 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

NBC wants to be in first in the coveted 18-49 age demographic. Don't think they are right now.

Plus I imagine a big part of it is that Leno is probably paid very well by NBC. Ratings for network TV are dropping across the board, so if the show is making less money it might be better to just fire Leno and go with someone cheaper (fallon).

Plus back when they tried to replace Leno with Conan, a big issue was that Leno pretty much told them that he would just go to NBC and get an 1135 show there (meaning the tonight show would go from the #1 rated show to the #3). But depending on how good Jimmy Kimmel's contract is, Leno moving to ABC might not even be an option.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    norm wrote:
    Wow... Great news for Jimmy Kimmel... will have all of Hollywood for himself.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    norm wrote:
    nbc is clearly worried about kimmel's numbers...and they should be...i watched kimmel recently and he has become a good host...i can definitely seeing him taking over as the top late night host

fallon isn't ready and nbc shouldn't push him...as long as they pay him, leno will do the same shitty show he's done since 1993

dave seems to like doing his job again...i can see him staying on for another 5-ish years....and hopefully cbs won't pull a nbc and let Ferguson go...he is a great talk show host and will be excellent in replacing dave

I really hope that Ferguson doesn't move to 11:35. he is amazing but he was born to be the 12:35 time slot. Plus Dave owns his show so he might be picking his replacement himself
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I'm not a Leno fan at all, but why the hell does NBC keep trying to get rid of him??? He has been winning the ratings battle for years.
    I'm not a Leno fan at all, but why the hell does NBC keep trying to get rid of him??? He has been winning the ratings battle for years.
    He tracks older crowd... Whose products do not generate as much revenue as the younger audience
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    He tracks older crowd... Whose products do not generate as much revenue as the younger audience

I know he tracks older, but I thought I read that he still wins that 18-49 demographic that the advertisers love.

Oh well, doesn't really matter to me. On the rare times I am up that late, I'll watch Kimmel.

Exactly. Advertisers generally don't care about anyone 50 or older, since it is generally much harder to get them to change their opinions on the products they buy.

Plus ratings for late night are down across the board. So Leno might be winning every night but he is winning with a lower amount of people. So if you look at advertising revenues on a dollar per viewer 18-49 idea, Leno has decreasing overall viewers and decreasing demo viewers, which means less revenue for the show.

A couple years ago Leno took a pay cut since revenues were don't and they were trying to cut costs (although part of the reason he was getting paid so much was because they were still paying him the salary based on his primetime show).
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    i'll bet he ends up at fox ... so now the viewership at 11-11:30 will have another late night host to spread viewership out more. Their a reason NBC is usually has lower ratings than the other networks.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    I've never liked Jay but I absolutely did not "side with" Conan during that whole fiasco. Conan's Tonight Show sucked big time. And his fanboys (and girls) can make all the excuses in the world for him; he didn't get good guests because of Jay's 10pm show, he had to "tone down his act" for 11:30, etc. Whatever. He just wasn't funny. It was actually shocking to see someone who has been so funny for so long bomb so horribly at a different timeslot. And his TBS show isn't all that great either.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'll follow Leno anywhere if I can stay awake ;)
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    The Tonight show back to NYC

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/toni ... ewyorkpost

159433151074247--300x300.jpgJay Leno and Jimmy Fallon at this year's Golden Globes

Work is under way to bring the “Tonight Show” back to New York.

NBC is building a state-of-the-art studio at 30 Rockefeller Center for Jimmy Fallon, the network confirmed yesterday.

The new studio, which has been under construction for several weeks, means that Jay Leno’s job all but belongs to Fallon, 38.

“I’m not allowed to say it — yet. But I think there’s an inevitability to it,” “Late Night” executive producer Lorne Michaels told GQ magazine in an interview released yesterday.

“He’s the closest to [Johnny] Carson that I’ve seen of this generation.”

NBC has been trying to get Leno to bow out gracefully from the hosting job in the coming weeks so it can unveil Fallon at its annual presentation to advertisers in May.

But Leno isn’t going down quietly, making fun of NBC’s last-place finish in the latest ratings and ignoring orders to tone it down.

“Scientists say they are getting closer and closer to being able to do ‘Jurassic Park’-style cloning of extinct species,” he cracked on last night’s show. “Things that were once thought to be extinct could now be brought back from the dead. So there’s hope for NBC.”

The “Tonight Show” started in New York in the ’50s. Carson moved it to LA in 1972 because, the thinking was, that was where all the stars lived.

The move to dump Leno, 62, is part of a plan by the struggling network to freshen one of its oldest shows — and another sign that the center of gravity for show business is moving from Hollywood back to New York.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    and another sign that the center of gravity for show business is moving from Hollywood back to New York.

I would say it is just a sign that NBC is desperate and that Lorne Michael's has a crapload of power when it comes to late night TV on NBC.
  • I hope he stays. Not because I like him, I dont, but because I dont want Jimmy to move from his time slot. Whenever one of these guys moves to 10 o'clock time they have to change their show and it is always less funny. Letterman, Conan as examples. There is something about being the later show. Its sillier and they can get away with more things. So I love JImmy Fallons show and don't want anything to change.

Agreed. "Balls in Your Mouth" at an earlier hour? Doubtful.

It sure does seem to be happening, though. I am hoping the Roots are part of the deal. Best late night music hands down.
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    it's official
    “The Tonight Show” will begin a new era next February when Jimmy Fallon succeeds Jay Leno as host of the most storied and successful program in late-night television.

NBC on Wednesday will announce its plan to install Mr. Fallon as the sixth host in the show’s history at the conclusion of the network’s coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia. NBC also will confirm reports that it plans to shake up the axes of the television industry by moving the show from its longtime home in Los Angeles to its birthplace, New York.

The announcement comes after weeks of media reports that the changes were imminent, and speculation about behind-the-scenes friction between NBC and Mr. Leno. Tensions between the two stretch back to Mr. Leno’s first departure from “Tonight” in 2009 and the tumultuous transition to Conan O’Brien that followed. That move ended with Mr. O’Brien leaving the network after nine weeks on the show and Mr. Leno resuming his role as host.

But Mr. Leno said in an interview: “The main difference between this and the other time is I’m part of the process. The last time the decision was made without me. I came into work one day and — you’re out.” He added that this time around, “There really aren’t any complications like there were the last time. This time it feels right.”

Creating that feeling was the stated aim of Steve Burke, the chief executive of NBC Universal, who took a lead role in the current change effort to insure that Mr. Leno would receive full respect for his contributions to the network.

“Clearly our goal has been to make this a smooth transition,” Mr. Burke said in a telephone interview. “Jay deserves to be treated like someone who has done a wonderful thing for our company for two decades.”

To underscore that commitment, Mr. Burke contacted Mr. Leno late last month to try to quell a dispute between the late-night host and Robert Greenblatt, the top NBC entertainment executive in Los Angeles. Mr. Greenblatt had irritated the comedian by questioning why he was making barbed jokes about the network’s ratings. After the incident, Mr. Leno and his executive producer, Debbie Vickers, began to feel isolated from NBC’s West Coast management.

Mr. Burke called Mr. Leno on March 20 and expressed concern about the speculation surrounding his status. Mr. Burke flew to Los Angeles the following Sunday and met for an hour with Mr. Leno and Ms. Vickers at the “Tonight” offices in Burbank. He assured Mr. Leno that he wanted him to feel comfortable with the transition plan, and that the host could stay on to the last day of his contract next September if that was his choice.

Mr. Leno said he told Mr. Burke: “I appreciate that, but it’s not really necessary. And I don’t want to make it harder for Jimmy. I want to hand off something that’s going to make it easier.”

Mr. Leno said he suggested, “If we really want to give him a good send-off, how about after the Olympics?” He said the Winter Games in February would give NBC the chance to promote the new host to big audiences and avoid more competitive start-up times like the summer.“ ‘The Tonight Show’ was number one when I got it,” Mr. Leno said. “I’ve kept it number one for about 90 percent of my term here; and I would like to see Jimmy keep it at number one — which I’m sure he will.”

Mr. Fallon, meanwhile, was waiting for the smoke to clear. His contract for his own NBC show, “Late Night,” had two years left to run, taking him into 2015. He decided to concentrate on his show, stepping back and allowing Mr. Leno and NBC to decide on a plan. He said he never wanted any part of pushing anyone to do anything. “I just kind of wanted to keep doing my job well,” he said.

Amid the overheated rumors of the past month, Mr. Fallon said he and Mr. Leno talked frequently and made sure they remained on friendly terms. “I have nothing but respect for Jay,” Mr. Fallon said. “If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t have a show to be taking over.”

Lorne Michaels, Mr. Fallon’s executive producer and someone who is often at the center of NBC late-night maneuvers, said Mr. Leno had been completely gracious toward Mr. Fallon. “What has been key to this transition has been the absolute consideration for everyone’s feelings by all involved,” Mr. Michaels said. “It has been a transparent process.”

What was quietly set early on, though, was the decision to move of the show back to New York. Mr. Fallon had spoken with NBC and Mr. Michaels about his desire to stay in New York if “Tonight should fall to him. Mr. Burke liked the idea.

“It starts from who Jimmy is,” he said. “Jimmy is a New York guy and the idea of having a show that is in the city Jimmy has always lived in and has Jimmy’s sensibility made sense.”

Mr. Michaels, who has been producing late-night television at NBC’s headquarters in 30 Rockefeller Center since he created “Saturday Night Live” in 1975, endorsed the idea. “There’s no place in the world better to do a show than 30 Rock,” he said. “I know that because I do one every week.”

Mr. Leno said he had concluded on his own that his current contract would likely be his last for “The Tonight Show,” though that point was unspoken at the time he signed. He did not deny that he takes pride in his long success at “Tonight,” which often came in the face of persistent critics and doubters.

“I’m glad I’ve kept it number one,” Mr. Leno said. “When I started people said, ‘Oh the only reason you’re winning is because of ‘E.R.’ ’ Or the only reason you’re winning is because Hugh Grant came on and said that one thing.’ Well, at least now I can say the only reason we’re winning is cause we’re winning.”

Mr. Leno will be 64 in 2014. After leaving “Tonight,” he said he expects to be “back on the road, being a comedian again.”

It is a life Mr. Leno has never really left, one he shares with his wife, Mavis, who frequently travels with him. “I know what my priorities are,” Mr. Leno said. “I have the same friends from high school. I have had the same wife for 33 years. When times are good, you have fun; when times are bad, you put your head down and work.”

His strong belief in just doing the work is one reason some who have worked with him suggested he could never step away from the nightly quest to tell a great monologue joke. But he dismissed suggestions that he would seek out another television show — at least for now.

“There are a lot of things to do,” Mr. Leno said. “I’ve done this job for a long time and I really enjoy it. Would I do it again? Believe me, the phone’s not ringing off the hook. It will be nice if people seem interested. But I’ll let it sit where it is.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/busin ... c=twr&_r=0
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I still think of Leno as the "new" host. and I never liked him much
    Advantage Kimmel
    GoiMTvP.gif