Will Leno be forced out?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Thats the rumor. That NBC will fire him and replace him with Fallon. I havent watched Leno since the Conan fiasco, and consciously. To me, Leno revealed how truly clueless he was. Theres a reason the majority of Americans sided with Conan. Even among his fellow late night hosts Leno is despised. I think Leno underestimated how one sided and decicive the public would be on the issue, and seemed oblivious to how his behavior would have been viewed as gross.

I think a huge segment of Leno's audience never came back after the fiasco, and never will come back. In terms of younger/teen/college age viewers theres no question they are watching anything BUT Leno.

Leno's behavior always rubbed me wrong especially since he seemed so focused on the bottom line. His explanation was that Conan wasnt getting the ratings and making NBC money and that he (leno) was and thats why he "got" his old job back. I think Leno was cunning and callous enough to do anything to remain at his job, even at the expense of being a jerk to Letterman or Conan.

I think Leno's doomed, and always has been. Carson, the god of late night, made no mistake who he felt was the real heir to his show. Leno knows that. And i think thats why he acts the way he does.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i despise leno as much as the next guy, for much of the same reasons you mentioned, but he's still been #1 in the ratings even since the whole conan thing. i believe kimmel has eaten into it a bit. but old people still love that long chinned douche bag.

fallon is the logical choice. i wonder how much longer dave will go on. he's 65, 3 years older than leno.
    www.myspace.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    i despise leno as much as the next guy, for much of the same reasons you mentioned, but he's still been #1 in the ratings even since the whole conan thing. i believe kimmel has eaten into it a bit. but old people still love that long chinned douche bag.

fallon is the logical choice. i wonder how much longer dave will go on. he's 65, 3 years older than leno.
    Dave will want to be on longer than Leno. He's still bitter towards Leno.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    If NBC wanted the younger demos, they wouldn't have given Jay a 10:00, 5-night-a-week show when Conan was host.

Check out this book by Bill Carter about the Conan-Jay fight.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Late-Night-Ea ... late+night

Makes you feel like you're a fly on the wall throughout the fight. I couldn't put the book down.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    If NBC wanted the younger demos, they wouldn't have given Jay a 10:00, 5-night-a-week show when Conan was host.

Makes you feel like you're a fly on the wall throughout the fight. I couldn't put the book down.

he's the guy who wrote the book about the leno/letterman fight in the 90's. might have to check this out.
    www.myspace.com
    Newch91 wrote:

he's the guy who wrote the book about the leno/letterman fight in the 90's. might have to check this out.
    Yep. I still want to read that book. I saw the HBO movie about it on YouTube.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I hope he stays. Not because I like him, I dont, but because I dont want Jimmy to move from his time slot. Whenever one of these guys moves to 10 o'clock time they have to change their show and it is always less funny. Letterman, Conan as examples. There is something about being the later show. Its sillier and they can get away with more things. So I love JImmy Fallons show and don't want anything to change.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    I hope so. I can't stand Jay
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    leno-boo
    fallon-yea!

& kimmel-yea! for that matter

Leno should go to hell for the whole Conan thing anyway, much less having a sucky show
    aqo2t.jpg
  • could leno be that oblivious and blind? He had to have wondered why the entire country sided with Conan.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I never watched Leno, I was a Letterman guy, and then I'd watch Conan after Leno. I just don't find Leno funny at all, I just think he's corny and a hack. And the whole Conan fiasco certainly didn't do him any favors with me, or a lot of people. I don't know of anybody who really disliked him as a person, even if they didn't like his brand of humor. But after the Conan thing, everybody I know thinks he's a douche. He really tarnished his legacy. I would have always remembered him as a comedian who wasn't my cup of tea, but probably a decent guy, now I'll always remember him as a dickhead.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,780
    I hope he stays. Not because I like him, I dont, but because I dont want Jimmy to move from his time slot. Whenever one of these guys moves to 10 o'clock time they have to change their show and it is always less funny. Letterman, Conan as examples. There is something about being the later show. Its sillier and they can get away with more things. So I love JImmy Fallons show and don't want anything to change.

Letterman in his first few years at 11:35 was great. But then he toned down over the years. But I still like him. I thought Conan should have stayed in NY.
    I miss igotid88
  • I never watched Leno, I was a Letterman guy, and then I'd watch Conan after Leno. I just don't find Leno funny at all, I just think he's corny and a hack. And the whole Conan fiasco certainly didn't do him any favors with me, or a lot of people. I don't know of anybody who really disliked him as a person, even if they didn't like his brand of humor. But after the Conan thing, everybody I know thinks he's a douche. He really tarnished his legacy. I would have always remembered him as a comedian who wasn't my cup of tea, but probably a decent guy, now I'll always remember him as a dickhead.

definitely. The entire nation rallied behind conan and overwhelmingly so. I didnt attend any of his tour in those months after the fiasco, but i heard every one of them was packed/sold out and a big hit. And the whole "coco" thing, with that Shepard Fairey-esque drawing of Conan. I think NBC and Leno's reputation were permanently ruined. I think the majority of people felt Conan was getting a raw deal. I just think Leno's thing is old and passe. Young people arent tuning into his show, they watch Fallon, Conan, the Daily Show, or Kimmel. And Conan obviously had tapped into that crowd since day 1 of his show. Whats interesting is Leno seems detested and hated by the majority of the late night hosts. Conan/Fallon/Kimmel all respect Dave and view him as a legend even though they are on competing networks. No one views Leno that way. During the fiasco one of the more memorable aspects of it was seeing Conan/Kimmel bash Leno. The best was Kimmel actually going on Leno's show and bashing him. And as I said, there was no question who Carson viewed as being his true successor. It was Letterman.
    again, i don't like leno, but to say the "whole country rallied against him" is an extreme exaggeration.

tonight show is always #1. it has beating dave 14 weeks in a row with 18-49 year old viewers at this point. and it's beaten kimmel in that demo 6 of the last 8 weeks.

i don't get it. i think he's a douche. i do not think he is funny. but people tune in for his garbage show more than any other late night talk show:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/0 ... 13/171333/
    www.myspace.com
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    Leno
    Fallon
    Conan
    The rest of em

Throw them all off the air, and show reruns of Johnny Carson.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I'd feel more sorry for Conan if he didn't get $45M for getting fired.

That would be the greatest day in my life. Guess what honey? Great news! I got fired today!!!
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Leno
    Fallon
    Conan
    The rest of em

Go back to your oatmeal, ya old geezer.

:D
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Leno
    Fallon
    Conan
    The rest of em

That's wild and wacky...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Leno
    Fallon
    Conan
    The rest of em

That's wild and wacky...
    Carnac:

King Tut
    Dean Martin
    Jerry Lewis

What is a Mummy, a Rummy, and a Dummy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=263eG7HfwBM

Better than anything Leno, or the rest of them have done, in 20 years.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Leno
    Fallon
    Conan
    The rest of em

That's wild and wacky...
    Carnac:

King Tut
    Dean Martin
    Jerry Lewis

What is a Mummy, a Rummy, and a Dummy.
    Always watched it on a little black and white after the parents went to sleep... Carnac was genius...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Always watched it on a little black and white after the parents went to sleep... Carnac was genius...
    Yep.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Yep.

used to watch Carson and Letterman when I was a teenager. especially in the summer, we would stay up real late watching all kinds of stuff. Remember Second City TV? (SCTV)
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Yep.

used to watch Carson and Letterman when I was a teenager. especially in the summer, we would stay up real late watching all kinds of stuff. Remember Second City TV? (SCTV)
    Yep.

If you had Carson reruns 3 days a week, right now.
    I wonder what the ratings would be.
    Put Carson reruns up against Leno, Fallon, Conan, and the rest of them.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055

:lol::lol:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.

:lol::lol:
    Carson was pure genius.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Not a single mention of Craig Ferguson?
    You are all missing out.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Leno
    Fallon
    Conan
    The rest of em

Carson was just a class act - even with McMahon by his side!

There's much to be said for old-school.

Though I get that humor is subjective, Fallon strikes me as...meh. Vanilla, hackneyed.

Conan, Kimmel have their moments.

Letterman's become bitter (and not in the funny or endearing sense). He's like an ornery raisin now.

I liked the old days when he was on at 12:30, made me laugh like hell, the days of Chris Elliot and Larry Bud Melman and Crispin Glover and those little dressed-up monkeys. He didn't seem to be trying so hard. Kudos to him on bouncing back from fucking around on his wife, though! May our politicians take note :mrgreen:

Leno gets points from me mostly because of his good taste in cars.

(I'm amazed such thought goes into this shit; I say we knock their salaries down some and THEN see how truly funny they are. Dance, motherfucker, dance!)
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I don't watch any of them anymore ... none of ones on TV now are funny ...

Carson was great ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    igotid88 wrote:

Letterman in his first few years at 11:35 was great. But then he toned down over the years. But I still like him. I thought Conan should have stayed in NY.

Letterman is still the best after Carson. Just look at all the comedians who Letterman has influenced. the best thing about Letterman is that you can tell he just doesn't care and will do whatever he wants.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Leno wants this so he can sign a new deal with fox