Bariatric LapBand Surgery & Your Support

StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi All,

I have recently had a pretty significant health scare and spent a week in the hospital where my cardiologists suggested that I strongly consider the LapBand surgery or some other form of bariatric procedure.

I know I want to do it. I've been on every diet known to man, and then some, and yo-yo my weight up and down for decades. Its out of control. I don't eat all that much but I also don't get much exercise due to some back/leg injuries (which would definitely get better with weight loss).

BUT ITS SCARY!

I would like to hear your opinions and experiences, or the experiences of your friends and family with this type of surgery..

Strongly considering the Lap Band, although it had long been considered little bit less effective than bypass, its been perfected and is now considered safer and as effective. Its also the least invasive, can be done laparoscopically and in a same day or overnight stay. Years ago I looked into the roux-en-Y surgery but decided that I might need all of my innards at some future date and that one scared the beegebus outta me!

I have had laparoscopic surgery before for a cholecystectomy and it was pretty much a cake walk, compared to what I thought it would be. Anesthesia scares me though, being a nurse, you see all of the things that "could" go wrong..and well...while you're calming everyone else down when it comes to yourself your mind goes nuts over it all.

I guess what I'm saying is I need some emotional support and some educated opinions.

I'm just a big baby I guess.

So, what do you think?
peace,
jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
"How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I don't personally know anyone who has had this done before, but I hear of positive results quite often.

LapBand is removable, correct? That alone would make it the front runner for me.

Good luck! Your support system will be here.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    There's 2 men in my building that have had it done, and the results are amazing, 6 months later there were half the size the used to be or smaller. They both had to be 300 to 350.

I also knew a store owner who's daughter went to have it done and never made off the table, she was young to , early 30's.

Good Luck what ever you decide.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Omigoodness Jo! Everything is going to be alright, you know everyone is here for you! I have a friend that had the surgery - although I can't tell you if it was the LapBand or something else. He is a very tall and broad guy, and was probably tipping the scales around 400 lbs. He was going back and forth about doing it but eventually he had to. It's been about a year now and he's like a completely different person. The surgery went well and he lost a TON of weight. He did have to change his eating habits and now he exercises daily. For a long time it was just walking, but he worked his way up. His outlook on life is much better and he's in a much better place. I know that you can do it and good luck with whatever you decide!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Thanks guys!
    Lap Band is removable and adjustable...so that's a huge plus.
    AND they don't cut out all your insides and re-route everything.

I KNOW I need to do this.
    I am making an appt with my primary care doc on Monday...the cardiologists have suggested it so getting approval shouldn't be hard. I still have to check with my insurance company to see how much they pay.

Whatever it is, I need to do it. Its obvious to my *finally* that I just can't beat this alone.

Thanks for the support. I'm going to be needing you all to hold my cold wet clammy hand LOL!
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    StillHere wrote:
    Thanks guys!

I am making an appt with my primary care doc on Monday...the cardiologists have suggested it so getting approval shouldn't be hard. I still have to check with my insurance company to see how much they pay.

Whatever it is, I need to do it. Its obvious to my *finally* that I just can't beat this alone.
    Thanks for the support. I'm going to be needing you all to hold my cold wet clammy hand LOL!
    Oh wow! Glad you are taking control of things... i got heart issues and trust me it's worth the while...

My cousin had the lap band... Lost a ton of weight and he is back to being his happy self...

Good luck !!
    GoiMTvP.gif
    StillHere wrote:
    Thanks guys!

Oh wow! Glad you are taking control of things... i got heart issues and trust me it's worth the while...

My cousin had the lap band... Lost a ton of weight and he is back to being his happy self...

Good luck !!

Thanks BD. :D
    peace,
    jo

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i don't want to be the only negative one here, but the only person i've known to have the surgery said it didn't "take" - whatever that means. i think your head needs to be in the right place for it too. i wish you the best of luck!
    did you see me? i saw you.
    shortstack wrote:
    i don't want to be the only negative one here, but the only person i've known to have the surgery said it didn't "take" - whatever that means. i think your head needs to be in the right place for it too. i wish you the best of luck!

i can deal with "it didn't take" as long as there were no awful complications
    my head is certainly ready to deal with whatever i need to see this through
    thanks for the info :)
    peace,
    jo

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    I've had some experience working with people after this surgery and have seen nothing but dramatically positive results with the people I have worked with. It is often a lifestyle change though and you do have to be prepared for that. Sounds like you are. You sound very positive about it. My patients have had not only dramatic weight loss that helped them look and feel better, thus able to move and exercise but many have had complete reversal of other medical problem such as high blood pressure and diabetes. Good luck with your decision!

Jen
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    I've had some experience working with people after this surgery and have seen nothing but dramatically positive results with the people I have worked with. It is often a lifestyle change though and you do have to be prepared for that. Sounds like you are. You sound very positive about it. My patients have had not only dramatic weight loss that helped them look and feel better, thus able to move and exercise but many have had complete reversal of other medical problem such as high blood pressure and diabetes. Good luck with your decision!

Jen

Thanks Jen! I'm so looking forward to being able to go without all these Rx meds every day. AND mostly being able to exercise and live more healthy :)

My back is so bad with spinal stenosis and some soft tissue damage from a car accident that I can't even walk very far before my back is killing me and my left thigh is completely numb. I'm a mess LOL! All of that can go, no worries :D

Before concerts and things that I'll be standing a long time for, or walking any more than a very short distance, I have to dose myself up with some painkillers and/or some smoke. I am a HUGE advocate for Medical Marijuana, as you might imagine. I would rather be able to buy the active ingredients than mess up my lungs with smoke, ya know?
    peace,
    jo

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    StillHere wrote:

Jen

Thanks Jen! I'm so looking forward to being able to go without all these Rx meds every day. AND mostly being able to exercise and live more healthy :)

My back is so bad with spinal stenosis and some soft tissue damage from a car accident that I can't even walk very far before my back is killing me and my left thigh is completely numb. I'm a mess LOL! All of that can go, no worries :D

Before concerts and things that I'll be standing a long time for, or walking any more than a very short distance, I have to dose myself up with some painkillers and/or some smoke. I am a HUGE advocate for Medical Marijuana, as you might imagine. I would rather be able to buy the active ingredients than mess up my lungs with smoke, ya know?

I definitely hear you! I'm sure that given the back pain you are in having the lap band surgery will only make you feel a ton better. It will not be easy but definitely worth it. Just be prepared to look and feel like a new person.

:D
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i have no idea what you are talking about, however, i wish you the best
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    These types of surgery's are done all the time here where i work like you said they have made big strides from where they began with these procedures much much better results these days , good luck wish you the best :thumbup:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    My mom had the surgery, maybe 6 years ago. She did the bypass surgery- and she lost a lot of weight. But in the past year- even tho she's not eating as much as she did- the weight has crept back on. Also, she's had a problem with vitamin deficiency since then as well- she's unable to keep vitamin D- and some others. And she's had to go back and have surgery 2 times- because there was a small pouch from rearranging and cutting the stomach- and had some bacteria issuse.

I would recommend the lapband over the bypass. Even tho the lapband is slower in weight loss, I think that it would be a better option
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,642
    I have no words of advice, Jo, just big hugs and hope all goes well! :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Thanks to everyone.

I'll be coming back for you to hold my hand some more as the time draws near :D

You guys are so great.
    peace,
    jo

There's 2 men in my building that have had it done, and the results are amazing, 6 months later there were half the size the used to be or smaller. They both had to be 300 to 350.

I also knew a store owner who's daughter went to have it done and never made off the table, she was young to , early 30's.

Good Luck what ever you decide.

The young girl, was she having Lap Band or more drastic surgery? Maybe she had too many complications beforehand? This is the stuff that scares me, but being like this also scares me...so? This is why I need you guys.
    peace,
    jo

• Hey Jo!!
    I think you should try the Lap Band.. You're health is far too
    important!! I think the pros far out weigh the cons. My Aunt
    had this done two years ago, and she's always been heavy..
    She had a minor heart attack and her doc recommended
    she do the LB. she did and has never been happier! She is
    finally able to walk her dogs farther than around her block!
    She's training for a marathon in Witchita Ks to raise
    Awareness for the dangers of Obesity, called Walk, trot or run
    your ass off! I'm so proud of her!! I am praying for you, trust...
    It's worth it to be there for your lovely family, who very much
    so need you! Love ya girl! If ya need someone to talk to, you can
    P M me!! So there for you!
    Tree
    Hey Jo!!
    I think you should try the Lap Band.. You're health is far too
    important!! I think the pros far out weigh the cons. My Aunt
    had this done two years ago, and she's always been heavy..
    She had a minor heart attack and her doc recommended
    she do the LB. she did and has never been happier! She is
    finally able to walk her dogs farther than around her block!
    She's training for a marathon in Witchita Ks to raise
    Awareness for the dangers of Obesity, called Walk, trot or run
    your ass off! I'm so proud of her!! I am praying for you, trust...
    It's worth it to be there for your lovely family, who very much
    so need you! Love ya girl! If ya need someone to talk to, you can
    P M me!! So there for you!
    Tree

Thanks for the words of inspiration Tree. I might just be bothering you quite a lot with the messaging LOL! :lol:
    peace,
    jo

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I probably should not reply since I don't know which surgery that the lady I know had.
    Within 1 year, she lost 100 lbs. She said it is difficult b/c she has to eat so much protein, I'm not sure this is accurate -- 90 grams/protein daily? Due to the weight loss, she was able to go off some of her prescriptions she was on. :) She is definitely a success story and I told her my relative needs it but cannot be put under due to her sleep apnea....she said she was able to be put out with sleep apnea! I know she had very high blood pressure as well. Good luck to you!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    I probably should not reply since I don't know which surgery that the lady I know had.
    Within 1 year, she lost 100 lbs. She said it is difficult b/c she has to eat so much protein, I'm not sure this is accurate -- 90 grams/protein daily? Due to the weight loss, she was able to go off some of her prescriptions she was on. :) She is definitely a success story and I told her my relative needs it but cannot be put under due to her sleep apnea....she said she was able to be put out with sleep apnea! I know she had very high blood pressure as well. Good luck to you!

You do have to eat a lot of protein, and protein first in your meals.
    I've been on the Atkins diet a few times and really didn't find it all that hard to eat a lot of protein. It gets boring, but oh well, right?

The only thing I'm really wondering about dietarily is if I can still have a nice cold beer once in a while. Now that's too yummy on a long hot day ;)

Thanks for sharing the story :)
    peace,
    jo

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Hey Jo! I know 4 people who have had bariatric surgery (2 had the lap band, 2 had a sleeve). All had really great results, aside from one who gained back the weight after her pregnancy. It's definitely a lifestyle change, but you're linked up with lots of support before and after. Best of luck to you!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    All My Best
    Hey Jo! I know 4 people who have had bariatric surgery (2 had the lap band, 2 had a sleeve). All had really great results, aside from one who gained back the weight after her pregnancy. It's definitely a lifestyle change, but you're linked up with lots of support before and after. Best of luck to you!

I'm pretty set on the Lap Band but wondering what people's experiences with the Sleeve have been?
    Have you heard their stories?? Any differences?
    peace,
    jo

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I don't think you should do it. I support your decisions but I don't think it's necessary.
    I know it's painful and temporary. IF your doctor thinks it is necessary (?) for health reasons, then go for it. :(
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I don't think you should do it. I support your decisions but I don't think it's necessary.
    I know it's painful and temporary. IF your doctor thinks it is necessary (?) for health reasons, then go for it. :(

Thanks for the input.
    Could you tell me why you think its a bad idea?
    Not being smart alec, just really want to know what you think.
    :)
    peace,
    jo

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,421
    Wouldnt a healthy diet and exercise be so much simpler?

1500-2000 calories a day, with a nice 1 hour walk each day.
    You would be amazed at how you would look in a years time.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8975,d.aWc

A healthy diet and a brisk walk each day...
    Sure sounds a whole hell of a lot easier than this.

Thanks SPEEDY. Believe me I've tried all that...over and over and over again. At this point I have to admit that I have more of a problem than I thought I did. I've been on every diet known to man...I've invented my own. I've changed my lifestyle a lot recently but its still not doing the job real well. I think I've ruined my metabolism over the years yo-yo-ing so much.

This is a big decision for me. I've backed out of it before. My cardiologist is really keen for this right now, and I really have to agree with him.

I guess like some folks are addicted to heroin and some are addicted to cigarettes, well, I'm an addict, only my addiction is something that every human being needs to survive...but I can't give up.

I'll most likely do it. I hope that you'll help me through it even if you don't agree.

I hope I don't back out again ... I'm a big scaredy cat baby when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for your opinion.
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:

Thanks SPEEDY. Believe me I've tried all that...over and over and over again. At this point I have to admit that I have more of a problem than I thought I did. I've been on every diet known to man...I've invented my own. I've changed my lifestyle a lot recently but its still not doing the job real well. I think I've ruined my metabolism over the years yo-yo-ing so much.

This is a big decision for me. I've backed out of it before. My cardiologist is really keen for this right now, and I really have to agree with him.

I guess like some folks are addicted to heroin and some are addicted to cigarettes, well, I'm an addict, only my addiction is something that every human being needs to survive...but I can't give up.

I'll most likely do it. I hope that you'll help me through it even if you don't agree.

I hope I don't back out again ... I'm a big scaredy cat baby when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for your opinion.
    Im not saying I agree, or disagree, and I wish nothing but the best for you. But how healthy can such a radical type of surgery be on your heart? How much weight is lost in a years time? It just seems to me that there has to be a better way. And trust me, I can eat with the best of them. :lol::lol: