What is your first memory of Wrigley

2»

Comments

• mca47 wrote:
    ....but why pay the money to go to a game if your staring at your damn phone the whole time?!?

Sorta like the peeps at a concert that watch it through their phone so that they can have good video of the show. When I was at the Super Bowl my buddy had his phone out taping the 4th down play at the end. Had I not been so focused on the play I would have smacked him. When he showed the video to me later I laughed at him. Now he really can remember the play just like he saw it -- looking through his iPhone. :lol:

I have these Wrigley memories...but mine are from Fenway, where I grew up going to games. Something about the old time ballparks, being a kid, with family....it just doesn't get much better than that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    my first game actual game was a night game vs. the Brewers back in 06. cubs stunk. brewers weren't much better. but it was cool walking up the stairs to our seats and seeing the field illuminated by the lights. pretty sure the brewers won that game.

fav memory is getting to pitch off the bullpen mound. that was cool.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

• ever go to their wine mixer?

Where is that? No

I think I was 14 or 15 when I was there
  • 81 wrote:

Priceless.

Where is that? No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5vMkV2OqvY

Where is that? No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5vMkV2OqvY

Ah. I don't think I ever made it through that entire movie. :fp:
  • I get the chills everytime you first pop up from underground on the red line and you come around the big curve and see Wrigley in the distance. Pull up to your stop and hear "doors open on the left at Addison". Follow the crowd down the stairs and out of the subway station. Take a right and walk down Addison, take another right on Sheffield and walk on down to Murph's. Stop and enjoy the bucket drummers for a bit. Take a glance up at the back of the scoreboard and hopefully see the Cubbies flag flyin on top. Down a few and wait for the bleacher entrance to open. Settle in the 3rd or 4th row in left field. Look for Woo-Woo (Cubs Woo! Win Woo! Cubs Woo! Win Woo!) And then just wait for Van Halen to start and see all the boys run out. (Don't know why they don't play "Jump" anymore, it was my favorite part as a kid.) I got goosebumps now thinkin about opening day.

Can't wait for another '03!

EAMUS CATULI!!!!!!!!
    5/19/2006 Grand Rapids, MI; 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza; 6/14/2008 Bonnaroo; 8/24/2009 Chicago, IL; 5/7/2010 Nobleville, IN; 8/21&22/2009 Chicago, IL EV solo; 6/24/2011 Chicago, IL EV solo
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    81 wrote:
    my first game actual game was a night game vs. the Brewers back in 06. cubs stunk. brewers weren't much better. but it was cool walking up the stairs to our seats and seeing the field illuminated by the lights. pretty sure the brewers won that game.

Holy Shit, they are lenient there. We won't let ANYBODY even step on the grass.
    81 wrote:

Holy Shit, they are lenient there. We won't let ANYBODY even step on the grass.

infield was off limites....and we got a don't touch the ivy speach. but we got to shag fly's in the outfield and pitch....of course it was the visitor mound :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I remember when the Twins used to play at the big inflatable... every sunday, the kids could run the bases

Shit was cash
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    When I was 5 years old we used to live in walking distance from Wrigley. That summer my grandpa took care of me a lot while my parents were at work. So, a couple times a week my grandpa and I would walk to Wrigley to catch a game (this was before ticket prices became ridiculous and you could just show up right before the game and still get tickets from the box office). He'd always get me a popcorn (sometimes if I was lucky, I'd get some cotton candy) and get himself a couple of beers and a scorecard. He would tell me about the history of the park, about the ivy, about the scoreboard, about what it was like when he played there when he was on the Bears, he'd explain the game to me, why he liked and didn't like certain players (I absorbed as much as a 5 year old could). Spending the afternoons at Wrigley watching the Cubs with my grandpa are some of my best childhood memories. So, when I go to games now, I will get myself a couple of beers and a scorecard and think of that time spent with my grandpa.

:D Beautiful story!!!!!!

My mom took me to the game where Pete Rose hit 4,190 in '85. Of course I was 4 and all I remember is being jealous because my sister got to go to the beach :fp:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I will get back to you in about 6 months
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    When I was 5 years old we used to live in walking distance from Wrigley. That summer my grandpa took care of me a lot while my parents were at work. So, a couple times a week my grandpa and I would walk to Wrigley to catch a game (this was before ticket prices became ridiculous and you could just show up right before the game and still get tickets from the box office). He'd always get me a popcorn (sometimes if I was lucky, I'd get some cotton candy) and get himself a couple of beers and a scorecard. He would tell me about the history of the park, about the ivy, about the scoreboard, about what it was like when he played there when he was on the Bears, he'd explain the game to me, why he liked and didn't like certain players (I absorbed as much as a 5 year old could). Spending the afternoons at Wrigley watching the Cubs with my grandpa are some of my best childhood memories. So, when I go to games now, I will get myself a couple of beers and a scorecard and think of that time spent with my grandpa.

Awesome story.

My favorite memories of Wrigley are pretty similar.

Every summer my grandma would take me and brothers to a Cubs game in August. We would all catch the bus from Woodfield Mall to the blue line and then walk to the park. It was like a 3 mile hike in the August heat but my grandma was one tough woman who always insisted that we walk to Wrigley.
    Part of the tradition was that she would take us to the McDonalds across the street (a big deal for a kid) to pick up lunch to eat in the park. My grandma would always get us great seats (100 level used to be like $10 for day games) and she took us almost every year on the baseball card giveaway day. She taught me how to keep score and we would never leave a game before we heard Harry sing. One year, she even got me an autograph from Rick Sutcliffe.
    We would then spend a couple more days in the city with our “cool” older cousins. The trip to the city for the game was always one of the highlights of the summer for me and my brothers and those games are probably one of the reasons why Wrigley is one of my favorite places in the world.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Awesome story.

My favorite memories of Wrigley are pretty similar.

Every summer my grandma would take me and brothers to a Cubs game in August. We would all catch the bus from Woodfield Mall to the blue line and then walk to the park. It was like a 3 mile hike in the August heat but my grandma was one tough woman who always insisted that we walk to Wrigley.
    Part of the tradition was that she would take us to the McDonalds across the street (a big deal for a kid) to pick up lunch to eat in the park. My grandma would always get us great seats (100 level used to be like $10 for day games) and she took us almost every year on the baseball card giveaway day. She taught me how to keep score and we would never leave a game before we heard Harry sing. One year, she even got me an autograph from Rick Sutcliffe.
    We would then spend a couple more days in the city with our “cool” older cousins. The trip to the city for the game was always one of the highlights of the summer for me and my brothers and those games are probably one of the reasons why Wrigley is one of my favorite places in the world.

that's a hike from the blue line. i'm lazy and take the blue to jackson :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Second favorite memory at Wrigley...

Years ago, the ramp that went from the visitors dugout to the clubhouse passed through the lower concourse at Wrigley. It was only protected by a chain-link fence so you could see the opposing team as they headed to and from their clubhouse.

One year after a Cubs-Mets game, my grandma asked me and my brothers if we wanted to see the opposing team. We stood with the crowd waiting after the game and when the Mets walked by, some of the louder, angrier (and probably drunker) Cubs fans had some choice words for the team. My brothers and I learned a few new words that day as well as a few swear combinations that we had never heard before. Needless to say, we never went to see the opposing team ever again.

I think the Cubs moved or completely enclosed that ramp a season or two later.
    \...Don't know why they don't play "Jump" anymore, it was my favorite part as a kid.

I wish they would bring Jump back. Loved hearing that song as the team ran onto the field.
  • My first memory of Wrigley...

Rain delay for a Cubs v Cardinals game. Miserable weather for Labor Day weekend. The drinking was on.

As I'm standing in line for a dog and an Old Style, a girl comes up and asks, "how much for a mustache ride?"

Surprised, as I was not expecting that question, the first thing I could come up with was, "normally, $50, but for you it's free!"

I think the Cubs won, but I don't really remember.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    to be determined on July 19th
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA