Options

Fuck the World...NIN IS BACK!!!!

Comments

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Okay so who's heard the new song 'Everything'? http://n.pr/19tuizc (scroll down)

It is quite a different sound as you will see. I like it but it is certainly causing a frenzy in certain segments of the NIN fanbase. :corn:
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,255
    JaneNY wrote:
    Okay so who's heard the new song 'Everything'? http://n.pr/19tuizc (scroll down)

It is quite a different sound as you will see. I like it but it is certainly causing a frenzy in certain segments of the NIN fanbase. :corn:

not sure how i feel about it :?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=204800&start=375#p5205921
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    JaneNY wrote:

It's okay... I think I'm digging "Copy of A" the most out of the new songs.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,753
    I think "Everything" is terrible. :wtf: I hope nothing else on the album sounds that way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    Oh and he confirmed there will be some UK shows next year :D

so maybe they'll come here as well! if not, I'll need to find a cheap UK flight. ;)

I'm sure other European dates will follow :D
    JaneNY wrote:

Someone has actually started a petition to get this song removed off the album :lol:

I like it, it's certainly not what I would expect to be on a NIN album and I think it will make more sense when you listen to the album as a whole. I wouldn't want a full album in that style but it works. Now Roll on 8pm tonight :D
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Report back from the show tonight please! :D I so wish I could be there.

I kinda like Everything, it's so poppy...feels like making fun of the dark NIN image.

My favorite new song so far is Copy of A though...I love that one, both live & the studio version. Stuck in my head for ages now.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,515
    I like Everything and Copy of A. Both are much better than Came Back Haunted. Really looking forward to seeing what this album sounds like as a whole.
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    I like Everything and Copy of A. Both are much better than Came Back Haunted. Really looking forward to seeing what this album sounds like as a whole.

me too. i hope we get more songs that have the pop feel of everything, trents voice sounds fantastic on it, and i'm glad he's trying new things.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    youtube vid for everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 85A#at=193 :lol:

I love reading all the outrage about this. How dare he write a happy song!
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Awesome show last night, it was pretty unreal seeing them play in such a tiny venue. Great setlist too:

Somewhat Damaged
    The Beginning of the End
    Terrible Lie
    March of the Pigs
    Piggy
    The Frail
    The Wretched
    Closer
    I'm Afraid of Americans (David Bowie cover)
    Burn
    Gave Up
    Sanctified
    Disappointed
    The Warning
    Wish
    Survivalism
    Suck (Pigface cover)
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like a Hole
    Encore:
    The Day the World Went Away
    Dead Souls (Joy Division cover)
    Hurt
  • Options
    Awesome show last night, it was pretty unreal seeing them play in such a tiny venue. Great setlist too:

Somewhat Damaged
    The Beginning of the End
    Terrible Lie
    March of the Pigs
    Piggy
    The Frail
    The Wretched
    Closer
    I'm Afraid of Americans (David Bowie cover)
    Burn
    Gave Up
    Sanctified
    Disappointed
    The Warning
    Wish
    Survivalism
    Suck (Pigface cover)
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like a Hole
    Encore:
    The Day the World Went Away
    Dead Souls (Joy Division cover)
    Hurt
    Great setlist indeed. I'm surprised that "Disappointed" is the only song they played from Hesitation Marks. How sore are you? I can imagine that the crowd must have been brutal.
  • Options
    Great setlist indeed. I'm surprised that "Disappointed" is the only song they played from Hesitation Marks. How sore are you? I can imagine that the crowd must have been brutal.

Yeah I was surprised too, I think perhaps they wanted the show to be a bit different to the other festival ones they've played so far which have all had a pretty rigid setlist. I was really happy with Somewhat Damaged as the opener - I was so expecting Copy Of A that it kind of took me by surprise!

I'm not too sore, other than an aching back, I was standing to the side so didn't get bashed about too much :lol: I don't think I've ever felt so dehydrated at a gig though, it was hot as hell in there!
  • Options

Yeah I was surprised too, I think perhaps they wanted the show to be a bit different to the other festival ones they've played so far which have all had a pretty rigid setlist. I was really happy with Somewhat Damaged as the opener - I was so expecting Copy Of A that it kind of took me by surprise!

I'm not too sore, other than an aching back, I was standing to the side so didn't get bashed about too much :lol: I don't think I've ever felt so dehydrated at a gig though, it was hot as hell in there!
    When I saw last saw NIN in August 2009, Somewhat Damaged was their opener. Their intro surprised me because they abruptly showed up on stage and the houselights never closed.

As you being on the side: that what I prefer to do when doing GA Floor for concerts because the centre is usually more brutal than left and right. That doesn't mean being you're safer on the side: on December 28 last year, I saw Alexisonfire, a Canadian post-hardcore band, at Sound Academy and the crowd was so brutal almost everywhere (in the 10-15 rows at least) to the point that I couldn't even move and was sometimes pinned on the right side.

And for the Scala being really hot, I've experienced big heat at a few concerts last year. In fact, I attended the Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre (an outdoor venue) last year in July and it was SOOO HOT that I had to drink a lot of water (I almost never drink beer as I find them too costly, but would have one every once in awhile) and even took off my t-shirt because I couldn't stop sweating. Never took my t-shirt off before. Luckily, when I go see NIN at the Air Canada Centre on October 4, I will do Floor and all the times I've gone to a show there the temperature was reasonable, even during the summer, where I saw NIN in August 2008, though I did reserved seat for that show (but I did stand up throughout their entire set :lol:).
  • Options
    EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    Scala was awesome last night. I was standing at the back, on the balcony where you walk in, and from there it still felt so close to the band. It was even smaller than I was expecting. Even back there it was tightly packed, and the hottest, sweatiest gig I've ever been to. So many highlights I don't even know where to start!

Somewhat Damaged took me by surprise, too. Fantastic way to kick things off. I loved The Day The World Went Away as well. The whole encore was great, for that matter. Think I'm gonna have to see them when they tour the UK properly next year - I need to see the full-on stage show!
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • Options
    The Scala show is one to remember. Great setlist, La Mer was written on the set but they didn't play it. I was surprised that they managed to put on some sort of a light show in such a small venue but it was brilliant and I think the band really enjoyed it too. I still haven't recovered from that show yet.

The Belfast show was great but there were a few knobheads around. The visuals are jaw dropping. I've watched plenty of videos but seeing it in person is really something else and to think that the upcoming tour is gonna be better than that! Roll on next April, I think a week off may be in order.

Hesitation Marks cannot come soon enough.
  • Options
    The Scala show is one to remember. Great setlist, La Mer was written on the set but they didn't play it. I was surprised that they managed to put on some sort of a light show in such a small venue but it was brilliant and I think the band really enjoyed it too. I still haven't recovered from that show yet.

The Belfast show was great but there were a few knobheads around. The visuals are jaw dropping. I've watched plenty of videos but seeing it in person is really something else and to think that the upcoming tour is gonna be better than that! Roll on next April, I think a week off may be in order.

Hesitation Marks cannot come soon enough.

I'm wondering where they're gonna play next year, whether it will be arenas or theaters. It's gonna take a lot to top the Scala show though, it was damn near perfection.
  • Options
    97587df1-c993-4a03-897e-de353a40548e.jpg
  • Options
    97587df1-c993-4a03-897e-de353a40548e.jpg

WOW!
  • Options
    WOW indeed :D

Find My Way was played on radio 1 today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0385ljg

Skip to 43:40 to listen.
  • Options
    I knew the place was tiny but...OMG! :o

I wonder if they'll announce those UK dates right after Reading/Leeds, now that they've created lots of buzz with the Scala show. In that case, may my credit card have mercy on me... :lol:
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    I knew the place was tiny but...OMG! :o

I wonder if they'll announce those UK dates right after Reading/Leeds, now that they've created lots of buzz with the Scala show. In that case, may my credit card have mercy on me... :lol:

I know, the longer he leaves it before tickets go on sale the better :lol:
  • Options
    WOW indeed :D

Find My Way was played on radio 1 today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0385ljg

Skip to 43:40 to listen.

Holy fuck

That's awesome.

Sounds a lot like HTDA, but not shitty. :lol:
  • Options
    B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    Anyone see the guy who runs Soundwave festival in Australia bagging out NIN?
    Link: https://twitter.com/iamnotshouting

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting 32m
    @sarahgallarello Sorry Sarah. Sadly Trent wants to be mainstream now and reach Justin Timberlake's audience :(

Thomas Powell ‏@ThomasPowell5 26m
    @iamnotshouting WHERE'S NINE INCH NAILS?!?!

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting 24m
    @ThomasPowell5 Up their own arse sadly.
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • Options
    B-Rock wrote:

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting 32m
    @sarahgallarello Sorry Sarah. Sadly Trent wants to be mainstream now and reach Justin Timberlake's audience :(

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting 24m

did they refuse to play his festival?

I really enjoyed Find My Way live, but I think I might like the studio version even better.
  • Options
    More or less the first half hour of the Scala show. You get a good idea how the show was and the stage lighting in such a small place. Headphones cuts down the distortion a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFodtCT6v6w#t=526
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    B-Rock wrote:

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting 32m

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting 24m

did they refuse to play his festival?

I really enjoyed Find My Way live, but I think I might like the studio version even better.

I like it better in the studio too. Same with Copy of A, to be quite honest. I'll need to see them live for myself to confirm my beliefs.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention how fucking dirty The Wretched sounds live, absolute filth!
  • Options
    Come on then, who's heard it?! Thoughts?
  • Options

Brilliant album. Only one track that doesn't really do anything for me. Incredibly dense, no idea why Trent says this is a 'sparse' or 'minimal' album, so much is going on in each song. A great, great anti pop album.
  • Options

Brilliant album. Only one track that doesn't really do anything for me. Incredibly dense, no idea why Trent says this is a 'sparse' or 'minimal' album, so much is going on in each song. A great, great anti pop album.

I'm nearly done on my first listen, so far very good - I don't think I can think of a single other artist who has managed to drop an album this modern sounding after 25 years in the game, seriously impressive.