Options

Has PJ gotten lazy?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    TRobinson wrote:
    I think, again, we need to be greatful that they are still together and doing anything as a band rather then broken up and doing nothing at all...enjoy the shows/new music they are releasing

I hear you baby, loud and clear. -- said in the Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra voice.

You are absolutely right. We should be thankful they are still together and producing anything after all these years. It could be much, much worse.

Now if they would just book a couple nights on Causeway Street I would be completely happy. :D

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    TRobinson wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    this is probably the busiest the members have been in a long time.

....just not collectively....

This.

You hear that they are "taking it easy" or "spending time with family" quite a bit these days, but the fact is, they are spending seemingly the same amount of time on music they always have ... just not on Pearl Jam.

Your right! we are onto them now!!! we need to take this injustice to CNN....go public with it and force their hand into touring half of every year and release new albums every 6 months!!!

Uh yeah dude, like anyone said that :roll:

It's called an observation.
  • Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    JimmyV wrote:
    TRobinson wrote:
    I think, again, we need to be greatful that they are still together and doing anything as a band rather then broken up and doing nothing at all...enjoy the shows/new music they are releasing

I hear you baby, loud and clear. -- said in the Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra voice.

You are absolutely right. We should be thankful they are still together and producing anything after all these years. It could be much, much worse.

Now if they would just book a couple nights on Causeway Street I would be completely happy. :D

I hear you there!!!
    This could be the day
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Yes.

Until they announce the tour.

Hopefully, it'll be longer than 3 hours
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    JimmyV wrote:
    Eddie wrapped up a solo tour in December that included more US dates than PJ has played together in close to three years. Matt is touring with Soundgarden, Jeff with Random and Tres Mts, Stone with Brad. We keep hearing that they don't want to tour but it seems like everyone already is touring, just not together.

What I've also begun to consider is that these guys might enjoy the smaller/club intimate shows. In fact, I remember an older interview where someone said they wished they could do smaller shows every now and then. These shows being smaller and more personal, I assume they get a better interaction with fans (not meaning the wackos that got on stage and/or suggested to Play with Ed on a tune :lol: )

This gives them all the chance to do that.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,612
    lyears wrote:
    Have PJ fans become more impatient?

Have they become more entitled?
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    I would love to see them mix up larger & smaller venues within each region a la Neil Young. That way you get the best of both worlds. I don't think they're pulling our legs or anything, SOMETHING is coming down the pike, that's all we know. Everything else is pure speculation until they drop official announcements. That being said, I'm totally stoked for whatever and whenever - preferably sooner. When I start seeing Jeff get just as excited about getting back to PJ as he is with RMDM now, then I'll know something's happening.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    not lazy
    just older
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    It's obviously going to be harder now with Matt Cameron being in two major bands, I can't imagine the workload involved with that, the recording and touring schedule has to match up and he's not exactly in his twenties anymore. Then again he doesn't age so maybe it's not an issue!
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Not lazy at all. To still be doing what they're doing after all these years and still making new music and still being one of, if not the best, live band in the world when all of them are pushing 50 years old - no, they're not lazy.

Sure, everyone wants a new abum and new music, but if these guys are still doing all of their side stuff which will lead to even bigger and better creativity when it does come to new music as a band - I'm all for it.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    lazy no
    uninterested.......
    maybe .... more like a break
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    la·zy (lz)
    adj. la·zi·er, la·zi·est
    1. Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
    2. Slow-moving; sluggish: a lazy river.
    3. Conducive to idleness or indolence: a lazy summer day.
    4. Depicted as reclining or lying on its side. Used of a brand on livestock.

Lazy? Nope, don't think so...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    YLed2 wrote:
    Not lazy at all. To still be doing what they're doing after all these years and still making new music and still being one of, if not the best, live band in the world when all of them are pushing 50 years old - no, they're not lazy.

Sure, everyone wants a new abum and new music, but if these guys are still doing all of their side stuff which will lead to even bigger and better creativity when it does come to new music as a band - I'm all for it.

Exactly my initial point (before it was hijacked). Lazy is the last characterization you could affix to them.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I'm 40 and have a great relationship with my Sisters and their husbands and kids and used to spend a ton of time with them.

I used to hang out with my nephews a couple of times a week. Now I hang out with one of them a couple of times a month.

Do I love them or care about them less? Nope, we all just happen to be in differrent parts of our lives where
    getting together a couple of times a week is just not practical.

Do I think it will be like this with the fam from now on? Not at all. I'm sure at some point in the future I'll be hanging out with them more often like I did when I was 30.

In other words, I think all is okay in PJ land. ;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Just glad we get what we get. Even if they retired I would be grateful to still be on this board to converse will all of you. I know 81 will still be posting
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    A bit of a selfish thing to say. They don't owe you anything. Really. They don't. They can do what they want.

You think they "owe" you another album, or better t-shirts? They aren't "obligated" to release a new album in a set amount of time or do arena shows etc. They've been doing this for 20+ years. As already mentioned, just be thankful they are still around at all after so long.

If they quit for good today, I would be sad, but also understand, to a degree. They have no obligations to us fans nor do they owe us anything.

I bet if you accused Eddie of being lazy to his face he'd be offended....
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    nevmiles wrote:
    I bet if you accused Eddie of being lazy to his face he'd be offended....

Holy hell he would! But he would say it with love. :lol:
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    wondering how well this one aged...
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,930
    edited August 2019
    lyears said:
    Have PJ fans become more impatient?
    This is still an interesting take. Hmmmmm
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder if there's a bit of "what's the point of this band now?" from any band member's perspectives. The last two albums have seemed slightly forced (for the sake of  . . .?), and the live shows seem to be getting more greatist-hits-ish. Never seemed lazy but maybe a tad bit of auto-pilot in certain areas? Can you blame them though? I'm only 33, and I consider myself a healthy dude and I can't imagine I'd be able to get up on stage and exert what they exert at their age. This is a goofy thing to admit but I always admired how healthy the guys in this band are lol. I mean most of us have seen them live and can attest that they're not lazy. BUT I will say that same energy we see from them live doesn't also seem to be there when they record now. I for one am glad that they seem to be taking a wise patient approach with whatever is in store next. And it does seem a bit cruel at times when the impact that death has on your creativity doesn't seem to factor in as to why more time is taken (simply put, if one of my best friends just died I would not want to go into work the next day, especially if the work I was doing would remind me of said friend). 
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,590
    Just realized this thread is from 2013. Maybe they should go the collaboration album route at this point on a few tracks,
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    They have not experienced the pressures of a day to day job and having money to put food on the table.  So they don’t know what that stress is like.  Sure, they worked random jobs but that was when they were single and needed to pay for guitars and food.  So, someone who works 40-50 hours every week with 5-10 days of vacation may say they are lazy.  

On the flip side, they have had to deal with fame and the pressures of being in the public eye and making a lot of people happy.  Those are pressures the average person can never understand.  

We’d all retire at 45 if we could.  They were able to do it.  Good for the band I guess.   
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,197
    In light of recent events 1993 PJ would play a pop up show event to draw attendance to protest the lack of gun control laws. But its 2019... the anger just isnt there.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    edited August 2019
    They have not experienced the pressures of a day to day job and having money to put food on the table.  So they don’t know what that stress is like.  Sure, they worked random jobs but that was when they were single and needed to pay for guitars and food.  So, someone who works 40-50 hours every week with 5-10 days of vacation may say they are lazy.  

On the flip side, they have had to deal with fame and the pressures of being in the public eye and making a lot of people happy.  Those are pressures the average person can never understand.  

We’d all retire at 45 if we could.  They were able to do it.  Good for the band I guess.   

I'm not sure I get the comparison to regular Joe's like me but rather I'd compare it to other mega rock acts.

Unfortunately they are on the very light end of activity compared to mega acts like U2, Foos, Metallica even The Stones and Who. 

They have earned this and we have earned the right to be bummed about it. 

(Oh and 2013...lol)
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    U2 tours a lot more than PJ, but typically in the past U2 would tour and disappear for 2-3 years.  PJ would do smaller tours every year.  I prefer the PJ model although U2 plays more shows and hits more places on its tours than PJ.