Options

Has PJ gotten lazy?

vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
edited February 2013 in The Porch
just wondering what everyone thinks about this? I know no one wants to believe (me as well), but I'm beginning to seriously wonder. My concerns:
-long breaks between albums
-festival shows as opposed to standard tours
-endless issues of bootlegs
-reissues of old albums
-seemingly unoriginal merchandise
-high Ten club fees for 'analog' members

please dont hate me for saying these things..just wonder what everyone else is thinking
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    I think its called getting older and wanting to spend more time/energy on and with your family and friends....be greatful they are still doing anything as a band 20+ years later
    This could be the day
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    It must get old after 20 + years and their rich and comfortable, why not kick back and enjoy life. Also a bunch of them have kids now i believe , which are all young and cute, when those kids hit the teenage years those guys will find an excuse to tour.
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    TRobinson wrote:
    I think its called getting older and wanting to spend more time/energy on and with your family and friends....be greatful they are still doing anything as a band 20+ years later

You hit the nail right on the head! They've grown up and have families. Thoughts, ideals and values you have when you're 20 change as you get older and grow up. I'm happy we get what we get!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    Faithful_1Faithful_1 Glasgow Posts: 172
    Basically, i agree with everyone else. They're just at a stage in their lives where they wanna take it a little slower. I'm not so sure they've gotten lazy though; i mean they're all busy, just not with each other!

Once they do get a record out and hit the road again, i also sincerely hope they don't do festival shows. I saw them in 06 at the leeds festival, which was fine, but i only done it because i hadn't seen them in 6 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure shows like that pay the bills and keeps the organisation running, but it does short change the real fans......but, its better than nothing :)
    SECC - Jun 03, 2000
    Leeds Festival - Aug 25, 2006
    Reading Festival - Aug 27, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    ISS Dome - Jun 21, 2007
    MEN - Aug 17, 2009
    Odyssey - Jun 23, 2010
    Wuhlheide - Jun 30, 2010
    MEN - Jun 20, 2012
    MEN - Jun 21, 2012
    Leeds - Jul 8, 2014
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    I don't think you can say they are lazy, they are just spending all their time on non-PJ stuff. Soundgarden, Brad, EV solo, RNDM, etc. They seem to be staying very busy to me but PJ just isn't their #1 priority right now. Hopefully that starts to change this year when they work on finishing the new album.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    lyearslyears Posts: 212
    Have PJ fans become more impatient?
    Hyde Park 25/06/10 - Manchester 20/06/12 - Leeds 08/07/14
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    this is probably the busiest the members have been in a long time.

....just not collectively....
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    I like beer
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is 2 feet thick. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    in order to answer this question properly i would need to know exactly what each member is doing everyday. For some reason i doubt any of them are sitting around watching Springer and eating leftover pizza all day.
    So i will assume they are not lazy.
  • Options
    adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    Agree with most others - we all get older, other priorities, family, etc. Be glad that they're still going!

The day you go to their show and it looks like they're half-assing it on stage, THEN I'll say it's fair game to call them lazy. It does not appear that PJ is anywhere close to that point. Still passionate, still playing 2 1/2 + hour gigs, still changing up setlists every night, still treating their fans to rare songs, still rockin' hard. And that's why we still love them!
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    vaggar99 wrote:
    just wondering what everyone thinks about this? I know no one wants to believe (me as well), but I'm beginning to seriously wonder. My concerns:
    -reissues of old albums

please dont hate me for saying these things..just wonder what everyone else is thinking

they're doing what they want to do... they've earned the right

in response to your questions
    -would you rather they spit out an album that they're not proud of?
    -more money in festivals
    -they've always issued bootlegs - huh?
    -money maker and possibly helping the fan - no one is required to buy
    -lets hear your ideas for merch
    -i don't think the fees are high
  • Options
    vaggar99 wrote:
    -reissues of old albums

I hate you for saying this. :evil:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's ok to slow down and stop and smell the roses.
    It is appreciating life for all the right reasons, they have earned it.

I think when the new masterpiece comes out it will "the proof of the pudding is in the eating!"
    I'm hungry for it!... can't wait! :D
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    Nami wrote:
    I like beer
    mmmm beer.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    pandora wrote:

I think when the new masterpiece comes out it will "the proof of the pudding is in the eating!"

Right on.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Like others have said, the guys are just at a point in their life where they are stinking rich, they have families, and there really is no need to put out another album, or spend 5 months on the road on tour...

That said, I do think their live shows have gotten a bit lazy. Yeah, they change the setlists....er...move the same songs around from show to show, but I feel the quality of the performance has diminished over the last 6-7 years.
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    pandora wrote:

mmmm - Pudding,
    can't wait for my piece of cake, hopefully with a cherry on top
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    I don't think lazy is the right word but I do think they may have peaked as a band. The many side projects feel less and less like side projects and more like the main focus. Hope I am wrong.

Also, I think this thread is doomed to soon be locked.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    vaggar99 wrote:
    -reissues of old albums

No.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    As others have said, I don't think they're lazy. I think their side projects are taking priority right now. I don't know where but I've read it here before many times, they like to do their side projects to "take a break," and get the creative juices flowing again. They'll "regroup" when they're ready, go on tour in the fall, release a new record, and rock balls at live shows. As for their "peak," who knows? In my opinion, self-titled and backspacer, meh...with a few gems thrown in though. I'd like to hear another Yield, No Code, or Vs., but then again, that's probably asking too much.

Ask yourself this, you're in your 40s with a family, millions to spend on whatever you'd like, and you're in a band that most certainly will be inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF, what would you do to enjoy your time?

They'll play some shows and do their thing on their own schedule...
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    I feel like lazy implies that they're procrastinating on an obligation. So I wouldn't call them lazy because I don't feel like they're obligated to anything. Pearl Jam's their band and they can release content at whatever pace they'd like.
    6/03/06 Continental Airlines II East Rutherford, NJ
    6/25/08 MSG II New York, NY
    9/02/2012 Made in America Philly, PA
    10/21/13 Wells Fargo Center I GA Philly, PA
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center II GA Philly, PA
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I think the band realizes that the empire is too profitable to end, so they just keep it going for the business' sake. Otherwise, they're pretty much done as a group together.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I've heard some side project stuff that would have been massive PJ material. I don't mean to suggest that it is "lost" or less meaningful if it wasn't performed by PJ but it does seem like the guys are less concerned with saving their best material for PJ.

I don't call it lazy...they're just living their lives
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    For some reason i doubt any of them are sitting around watching Springer and eating leftover pizza all day.

You just described my life
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    I totally get the whole getting older thing and not wanting to live on the road and spend time with their families and all that. The thing I don't get is that the guys in the band always talk about how incredible the feeling is to play live shows...you'd think that they would want to play more.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    rival. wrote:

This.

You hear that they are "taking it easy" or "spending time with family" quite a bit these days, but the fact is, they are spending seemingly the same amount of time on music they always have ... just not on Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    rival. wrote:

This.

You hear that they are "taking it easy" or "spending time with family" quite a bit these days, but the fact is, they are spending seemingly the same amount of time on music they always have ... just not on Pearl Jam.

Your right! we are onto them now!!! we need to take this injustice to CNN....go public with it and force their hand into touring half of every year and release new albums every 6 months!!!
    This could be the day
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    TRobinson wrote:

Your right! we are onto them now!!! we need to take this injustice to CNN....go public with it and force their hand into touring half of every year and release new albums every 6 months!!!

I think you are misinterpreting what is being said. Eddie wrapped up a solo tour in December that included more US dates than PJ has played together in close to three years. Matt is touring with Soundgarden, Jeff with Random and Tres Mts, Stone with Brad. We keep hearing that they don't want to tour but it seems like everyone already is touring, just not together.

It isn't an injustice, but it is something to be concerned about.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    TRobinson wrote:

I think you are misinterpreting what is being said. Eddie wrapped up a solo tour in December that included more US dates than PJ has played together in close to three years. Matt is touring with Soundgarden, Jeff with Random and Tres Mts, Stone with Brad. We keep hearing that they don't want to tour but it seems like everyone already is touring, just not together.

It isn't an injustice, but it is something to be concerned about.

Trust me I understand....but people need to relax, they are doing more 20 years later than all their counter parts. soundgarden just got back together, how would you like to be their fans with that major hiatus. when you do something for that long you need a break and other things to keep it fresh, there is nothing wrong with that. I think, again, we need to be greatful that they are still together and doing anything as a band rather then broken up and doing nothing at all...enjoy the shows/new music they are releasing
    This could be the day