Depression

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
...sucks.

Feeling like you have nothing to offer, and nothing to look forward to.

Sometimes it just takes hold of you, and you can't shake it.

Anyone else ever feel this way?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Certainly... every once in a while.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    yes, but if i catch myself and stop the negative thoughts, i feel much better.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    shortstack wrote:
    yes, but if i catch myself and stop the negative thoughts, i feel much better.

It's often good to face our negative thoughts, I mean they exist for a reason, we just need to find it (the reason), and too often I feel we just ignore or try and hide our negative thoughts, so never really getting to the 'cause', next thing you know they are pumping us with pills masking the issues.

I'm just generally speaking,
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Coincides with the sence of helplessness.To many thoughts to process,and all of them are troubling.Meaning when shit gets overwhelming and you don't know which problem is more important than the other,but they are all equally important to your psyche,Then helplessness turns into hopelessness.etc.I don't know of any one person who hasn't experienced this at one time or another. We're not Superman!
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    This is a great example. 99% of the world's population suffers from back pain at one point in their life. The other 1% is lying completely. Happens to everyone. ;)
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Yep, sure have. Went through a really rough period a year ago. Music helped so tremendously, can't even put it into words. That and talking to someone. Hang in there and keep on pushing through. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    rent a puppy or kitten

thank me later..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    and just to clarify.. yes it happens to me as well, I wasnt trying to be a dick

but, pets DO help
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:
    and just to clarify.. yes it happens to me as well, I wasnt trying to be a dick

but, pets DO help

Sometimes, I just HATE my cat. It's been 12 years, and he's old. He doesn't help anything.
    He gets separation anxiety when I leave, he is always sick, and poor kitty. I can't keep buying him Valiums
    I'm depressed thinking about his furry ness. He is really an 8,000$ cat. Maybe more, it has been awhile since I added up the vet bills.

I really wish I would have left him with my ex, but this cat would have followed me! They don't always help :(
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ...sucks.

yes. pretty much ight now actually
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    I think it's important not to get isolated, try to collect strength from being with good people.
    Ease your heart and talk about the problems with someone who can listen.
    Somedays can just be so heavy and then another day the feeling is so different the sun is there and you can't really understand why you felt so bad.( I've also felt it like you describe it)
    I hope you feel better soon!
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    If they had a depression contest I'd be queen. Or at least a princess.

I've posted about this before. Depression really sucks. Medication helps a lot of people. I like therapy better. Whatever works. I keep meaning to try meditation. Good luck.
    STAYSEA wrote:
    This is a great example. 99% of the world's population suffers from back pain at one point in their life. The other 1% is lying completely. Happens to everyone. ;)

I hate to quote myself. But depression is a natural emotion. How can or could any one ever experience a moment of joy with out ever knowing depression? It's salty sweet. Keep reaching out, is my advice.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,669
    You're in good company, Byrnzie. The black hole of depression just sucks. This is one of the great things about this forum- lots of really fine people who care. We all have ideas but of course the best solutions are the ones that work best for you be it meds, exercise, deep breathing, a new hobby or one of my favorites- posting with the good folks here.

Hang in there, good fellow! Keeping you in good thoughts.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• i know exactly how you feel...currently in the depths of my worst depression ever
  • Finally got off Prozac this winter... Feels like I can have emotions again ... and yes sometimes those are depression and gloom... but its part of being alive ... I feel like I have better control to get out of it..

It's better having emotion than to pill them away...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    it is such a miracle that you were born and made it thus far. more of a miracle that we are all here, without knowing each other in person, and have the ability to effectively communicated and help, enjoy, praise or argue about stuff.

just know that it taking so many specific things to be aligned to make us all who we are today. You HAVE a purpose, you are MEANT to offer something, we all just have to find out what it is.

It can be daunting at times, prioritize: what absolutely has to be addressed one way or the other by the end of the day?

many people I know let the reactions of others or guilt lead them to depression. feelings of not ever being good enough because someone or something was hard on us during the formative years. If you give a 100% of yourself in whatever you do, don't let someone make you think that it's not good enough. If you feel you didn't give a 100%, don't beat yourself up about it, just let it go and do better the next day. Life is about moving forward.

some people are more prone to depression and it's more of a challenge. I'm not prone to it (although about 1 day a month I don't want to leave the house or talk to anyone), but I'm prone to other things that have a negative impact on myself.

we all have baggage, just got to unpack, organize and repack. every now and then we can throw out something that no longer fits us.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    ...sucks.

I had a rough time around 2005-06. And I was exploring a million avenues to get it out. not much worked until I went back to playing guitar. I wasnt very good, but I was able to write a bunch of music and basically metaphorically killed off my ex-girlfriend in the process.

Feeling like you have nothing to offer can really bog you down. But you're a very smart person Byrnzie.. just channel it somehow, maybe...

i Hope it gets better dude.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ...sucks.

yes. A lot more than I care to mention. Have had it for as long as I can remember. Sometimes worse than others.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm learning a lot about depression when I thought I knew much from my own bouts.
    I never took meds but I see now from others they can really work, changes how the world looks,
    gives one the chance, desire, motivation to learn coping skills, make life changes,
    reach out to loved ones or for professional help.
    My experience, how I felt about myself was the root to my depression.
    Learning to forgive myself and others.
    Once I took the focus off of me my depression got better.
  • been battling it for most of my adult life, man. I understand. I went through a period, before I went on meds and started to see a shrink, where I could barely do anything at all. I love my daughters with all my being, but when my first daughter was about 1, I couldn't even be around her I was so sad. I'd come home from work and go straight to bed, didn't even eat (and that's a big deal fo me!). I'm so glad I sought help before they were old enough to see me like that and think "what's wrong with daddy?".

I mean, it's not all rosey. It's still a battle every single day. Even with meds and occasional therapy. You can't just will it away like a lot of people think. I have found that the best way for me to deal with it is to just let it happen. Find what makes you happy in times of sorrow. I found that I can't listen to any solo Ed stuff when I'm like that. I have to listen to Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, or Queens of the Stone Age; something up beat. I make myself play with my daughters, even if I don't want to, because I know once I start, it will make me forget, even if for just a moment. I go for a walk and revel in the splendor of nature and all the good that surrounds me. I have considered suicide more times than I even know. I still do. But I know that's not the answer. All that will do is transfer my pain to others. Which is not fair. And all I think of is my daughters getting married without their dad, or graduating, or even now with ballet recitals, etc. it goes on. you get my drift.

do NOT fall into the trap of self medicating. I actually did that just last night, and last Thursday too. I struggle with this often. I was depressed about work (I fucking hate my job), and I'm in a funk of life boredom. My own life. I love my life with my kids and my wife, but my own personal existence is pretty much non existent. So I went out and bought a small bottle of rye (13 oz), and drank it down. I feel like shit today, physically and emotionally. My wife commented this morning "your rye problem is rearing its head again". So that's my wake up. If it bothers her, AND me, then give my head a shake.

Just find what makes you happy and do it. It won't make the pain or sadness go away, it will just make it easier to deal with. It's terribly difficult. I compare it to working out. Most people have to drag themselves to do it, but once they do, they feel better about it. Same with your heart and mind. You have to keep them in shape too, and it isn't easy.

Darwinspeed to you my friend.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Yes, and it sucks when you are on a path to gain acceptance and people who have never experienced it, shove it back in your face and say, "suck it up". Fuck those idiots.

I do commend you for being brave and admitting your struggles.

I don't take happy pills anymore, they are great to help pull you out of the depths, but they can make you feel numb when you are getting better.

It will get better, find an outlet and immerse yourself in it, music, reading, writing, creating...something. Do something you have always wanted to try, sometimes the brain craves something so different and unique to kick-start it.

{{{HUGS}}} to you, we are here for you!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    Yes, and it sucks when you are on a path to gain acceptance and people who have never experienced it, shove it back in your face and say, "suck it up". Fuck those idiots.

I do commend you for being brave and admitting your struggles.

I don't take happy pills anymore, they are great to help pull you out of the depths, but they can make you feel numb when you are getting better.

It will get better, find an outlet and immerse yourself in it, music, reading, writing, creating...something. Do something you have always wanted to try, sometimes the brain craves something so different and unique to kick-start it.

{{{HUGS}}} to you, we are here for you!

THIS. I'm going to buy a uke and learn Ed's Uke songs. I guess I'm going to have to buy the vinyl again though to get the song book, I gave mine away in rbrum's draw!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ...sucks.

Yes, I do.... especially during the cold dark winter months. For many reasons the month of february is the worst for me. Usually it will last a short while but it's a horrible feeling.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • A lot of good people on here- very passionate regarding the plight of people and the world. I think many forms of depression are out there, but perhaps the one that some of the people who have spoken on here stems from this depth of care.

For example, sometimes I make the mistake of clicking on a story I shouldn't read. The news, at first, angers me. Then, I become numb. If my experience is common, it seems as if the stories we read of and the things we experience begin to 'pile on' and... eventually... the weight becomes too great and we succumb to that feeling where we begin to hate everything- including ourselves.

Once mired in that state of loathing, it's tough to experience joy. It literally is work to climb out of the hole you feel you have fallen in. But the key is... at every moment of your low... one must remember the feeling is temporary and eventually... you'll be feeling much better about everything.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    I get depressed a lot. Being lonely sucks~ :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Depression effects so many people unfortunately (including me)but the good news is that there is a lot more help around these days then there once was. I took far too long to admit to myself that there was something wrong and finally got some help. For me I have a genetic ‘hand me down’ that makes me susceptible to bouts of depression so I need to be aware and recognise triggers. I don’t walk around telling everyone about my issues but I do have one confidante who I talk to when I need to talk about things and I find this helps.

I know this sound like a cliché but there is a certain song on Avocado that made me finally seek help and when I do feel like I need a ‘ pick me ‘ I go straight to that song to help me focus on what needs to be done. I owe so much to the lyrics of that song and I no words can ever express my gratitude.

That song is Life Wasted :D
    The world awaits just up the stairs,leave the pain for someone else.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited February 2013
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ...sucks.

I've been going through depressive moods and anxiety for months now.
    I am seeing my Psychologist weekly.
    I have never been this bad, my worst ever rut. I have no confidence for anything at the moment.
    This past week has been one of my best in a very long time, the depression and anxiety were almost gone (and a week without suicidal thoughts yay!) but kinda back now it is the weekend and it is when I feel lonely, got my best friends gig tomorrow which is something to look forward to.
    The worst part is I feel like I am lost and do not know who I am, it is like there is no light at the end of the tunnel and every day is the same. I've even been thinking about developing a heroin habit (but the sight of needles makes me feel sick and anxious) or abusing over the counter drugs.

P.S. REM - Automatic For The People, helped me a lot last weekend.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Caveeze wrote:
    rent a puppy or kitten

thank me later..

I absolutely agree that pets help in down times. Just today I took Snoopy our Datsun dog with me to pick up one of the kids. Just seeing his excitement in leaving the house and heading out on the road picked up my spirits. Then also sometimes I'll go downstairs, stare into our 125 gallon tank and wish sometimes I could just jump in and become one of the many discus fish in the tank.

Last resort Ill get my Bose headphones and listen to some RUSH. :idea:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)