Options

Eddie Vedder Signed Newspaper - One of a Kind

PolachickenPolachicken Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in Lost Dogs
Hello PJ fans. Psyched to see 40,000 of you at Wrigley in July. Hoping for a possible PJ addition to the Hangout Festival.

Not sure that I am looking to sell, but interested in the value of a one of a kind piece. In September 1996 my wife (now ex) and I traveled to Toronto to see PJ at the Maple Leaf Gardens. They just so happened to be staying at our hotel. We ended up meeting the band in the lobby and discussing things like their appearance on Letterman that had been filmed earlier that day. We were taliking to Eddie and asked for a photo, he said no photos but he would be happy to sign something. Just so happened I had a local free paper and handed an article/picture of the band for Edddie to sign. He read the article and then asked us who wrote the piece. Told him we had no idea as he scribbled endlessly. He handed us back the paper and told us to enjoy the show. I had no idea that the article was a complete hack job on PJ with the headline "Jam turns to Jelly". Eddie wrote "such kind words by an ignorant and jaded man, hope he comes to the show, you too
(my ex's name)" and then his name. I recall he mentioned the article right before they played Daughter the next night. I have not heard the show and cannot remember exactly what was said, but would love a copy if anyone has it. Anyhow the piece is framed, along with the stub from the show. Any thoughts on the value?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    Cool story.
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    Priceless, from the sound of it. Extraordinary story!
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited February 2013
    Cool piece. I would say it's value is much higher to the person named in the personalization.

However on the open market, I would expect that piece to command perhaps $80.00 to $130.00.

Newspaper is not a collectors medium of choice.
    Personalizations decrease value on the open market, as they are not "To" the person buying the item.
    The cool story and ugly article, might make it more valuable to someone though.

Also the other words in the inscription might make it more valuable.

If I saw that item and could bid any amount in the world, I wouldn't pay more than perhaps $50.00, but that is just me.

It could go as high as $100.00 if it caught someone's fancy.
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    And if it's framed, and the frame job costs close to $100.00 or so, then it would probably not be worth selling.
  • Options
    I don't know, amigo. That's way too cool of a story, and way too sentimentally important to label with a monetary value. Curiosity is fine, but I sure hope it stays with you, on your wall, right where it belongs!

Jeff signed one of my records and Ed threw me a tamboruine during a show-I wouldn't sell either one for anything!

Rock in Peace!
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    Hello PJ fans. Psyched to see 40,000 of you at Wrigley in July. Hoping for a possible PJ addition to the Hangout Festival.

Not sure that I am looking to sell, but interested in the value of a one of a kind piece. In September 1996 my wife (now ex) and I traveled to Toronto to see PJ at the Maple Leaf Gardens. They just so happened to be staying at our hotel. We ended up meeting the band in the lobby and discussing things like their appearance on Letterman that had been filmed earlier that day. We were taliking to Eddie and asked for a photo, he said no photos but he would be happy to sign something. Just so happened I had a local free paper and handed an article/picture of the band for Edddie to sign. He read the article and then asked us who wrote the piece. Told him we had no idea as he scribbled endlessly. He handed us back the paper and told us to enjoy the show. I had no idea that the article was a complete hack job on PJ with the headline "Jam turns to Jelly". Eddie wrote "such kind words by an ignorant and jaded man, hope he comes to the show, you too
    (my ex's name)" and then his name. I recall he mentioned the article right before they played Daughter the next night. I have not heard the show and cannot remember exactly what was said, but would love a copy if anyone has it. Anyhow the piece is framed, along with the stub from the show. Any thoughts on the value?

Thanks!

Would you care to share photos of the item? Would love to see it.

The '96 Toronto show was my 1st so it definitely has sentimental value for me.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    PJRules68 wrote:
    Rock in Peace!

I like that! I might use it one day 8-)
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    If you can contact Ed or the Journalist....
    Both would be super interested. I think the Journalist would pay more.

Submit a photo copy to the club with a separate S.A.S.E. ... You could be surprised, or get nothing.

(I think someone will take a peek)

That journalist has egg all over his/her face now! :lol:

The value is what it is worth to you, and what some one is willing to pay.
    I know people that Hate Eddie Vedder and Would not pay a penny. I know some that love rare items, and will give anything.
    Is the Journalist still active? This could affect the price.
    Good Luck. Take your time, this is not an easy one.
  • Options
    dugangsxrdugangsxr Covington KY Posts: 674
    To the above post!

Are you suggesting to try to sell it to Ed???? Are you serious!? WTF
    Paul D.
  • Options
    dugangsxr wrote:
    To the above post!

I'm serious.
    Are you crazy?

Eddie buys stuff. It's from 1996!
    He is a human.. we all are.
    It's a very small world. Have you sold Anything lately?
  • Options
    The journalist did not put his name to the story which is why Eddie asked who wrote the piece.

Headline: Jam turns to Jelly
    "Grunge is dead and Eddie Vedder's Pearl Jam are no longer the mighty force they once were. They've lost their high profile battle against Ticketmaster - who handled ticket sales for their forthcoming sold-out Maple Leaf Gardens show - and further embarrased themselves by releasing No Code, their worst album in a steadily declining career. Provided Vedder can pull himself together for 90 minutes, Pearl Jam's stand at the Gardens should be a memorable event, if only to see how they contend with the threat of being upstaged by openers Seattles irrepressible Fastbacks."

Not sure how to post a pic, but if someone tells me how I would be happy to do it. Not really planning on selling, just interested in feedback. I am sure the piece is worth more than $130, but it is really of no matter.
  • Options
    I am sure the piece is worth more than $130.

What makes you so sure?

Of course it might be. I've seen pieces that I thought were worth a lot, sell for less than $100.00, I've also seen items that I felt were worth a max of around $200.00 sell for upwards of $500.00.

The autograph market is a tough one to pin down. There are so many factors, and sometimes the personal factors cause people to make impulse buys they wouldn't normally make, and more often people value their items much higher than they are actually worth because of those same factors.

Here is a personalized CD case that has been on the market for the past 14 days at a $200.00 buy it now price. No one has bought it. I feel it is overpriced by about $100.00, but I could be wrong about that.

[Auction link removed by Admin. See the rules.]
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    wholly concur with Wilds on this.

this is a highly individual piece - yet personalised. I couldnt imagine anyone wanting to display it on the wall for that reason alone unless it was the recipient.

Its worth noting too that this last year Eddie has been far more willing to sign things - his signature this last year was like confetti. Which of course is always a good thing.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    dugangsxr wrote:
    To the above post!

I'm serious.
    Are you crazy?

why the hell would Ed want to buy back his own signature?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,859
    Never understand why anyone would buy a personalized merchandise signed that's not in your name. That eBay signed CD above, I could only see a fan named Sam buy that. I wouldn't buy it if it's personalized to someone else. Maybe if it said "To Demetrios", sure I might be tempted to buy it. But Sam? 200 bucks? Nah!!
  • Options
    Wilds, thanks for your note. I respect your opinion regarding the piece. I certainly understand that something signed to someone else decreases the value to most interested parties. In the case of this piece I do not think it compares to a signed cd case, but that does not mean the value is much higher. Either way, I am keeping the piece for my own collection.
  • Options
    clark_pclark_p Posts: 203
    I'd pay $225 for this item
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    dugangsxr wrote:
    To the above post!

I'm serious.
    Are you crazy?

hahahahahaha
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    I dont see this item being worth much to anybody but yourself.

At his boston solo show during his set, Eddie got up, walked straight to me, and handed me the pick he had been using all night, then returned to pick up a different instrument and keep the set going. I have it framed with the ticket and the Batman poster.. Awesome item, great value. But to anyone else its just a pick worth 5 bucks, if that.

Like someone said the autograph market is tough. I have a Hank Aaron signed photograph and I would think that it has to be worth at least 200 bucks or so...However, even the biggest baseball collector might pay me 50 if Im lucky and we're talking about one of the best baseball players ever.
  • Options
    The journalist did not put his name to the story which is why Eddie asked who wrote the piece.

Headline: Jam turns to Jelly
    "Grunge is dead and Eddie Vedder's Pearl Jam are no longer the mighty force they once were. They've lost their high profile battle against Ticketmaster - who handled ticket sales for their forthcoming sold-out Maple Leaf Gardens show - and further embarrased themselves by releasing No Code, their worst album in a steadily declining career. Provided Vedder can pull himself together for 90 minutes, Pearl Jam's stand at the Gardens should be a memorable event, if only to see how they contend with the threat of being upstaged by openers Seattles irrepressible Fastbacks."

Not sure how to post a pic, but if someone tells me how I would be happy to do it. Not really planning on selling, just interested in feedback. I am sure the piece is worth more than $130, but it is really of no matter.

Now I'm curious, As to who wrote it?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    STAYSEA wrote:
    dugangsxr wrote:
    To the above post!

I'm serious.
    Are you crazy?

He misses his old self?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,873
    STAYSEA wrote:
    dugangsxr wrote:
    To the above post!

I'm serious.
    Are you crazy?

I can't tell if you're being serious :|
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I amend my guess.... Now I say $225.00 :mrgreen: :oops: ;)
This discussion has been closed.