Who takes care your cat?

2»

Comments

• We always get a cat sitter to live here while we're away. We just leave her grocery money and bring back a present.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    This is such a sweet and hilarious thread.

Made me realize that as tough, independent and oh really? as they try to be...they're not quite so haughty.

(but it's nice to make them think so)

Now I'm gonna go give some belly rubs and raspberries to ours :P

*edit - sounds like you two know your kitty pretty well. Bravo!
  • DURP wrote:
    I've always left my cats at home because they get too stressed staying in a new place. My brother used to just come and stay with them for a few days and get free reign of my house before he got a life of his own. Now that my other cat died my mom comes twice a day to feed my kitty, spend some time with her and give her medicine. And this thing rocks:

lr-md-beige.jpg

It's the litter robot and it's crazy expensive, but so worth it. It's so easy to clean and you will never smell kitty litter again. It only needs to be emptied every few days, so my mom doesn't have to worry about the litter while we're gone.

Hmmm sounds good but I would be afraid to get it. Gremmie doesn't even like the plastic covers that you can put on the litter box. He get's pissed and will try to knock it off.
    My cat hates those too!! I was going to try to toilet train him, but then he
    Locked himself IN the toilet once and now hates the bathroom.. Unless he hears the shower,
    Then he thinks he's getting a bath too and he gets all happy!
    oh yeah if they don't like covered litter boxes, they won't like this one. Fortunately my cat is pretty adaptable...the other one took a little coaxing to get her to use it. My next cat is getting toilet trained, but I figure 17 years old might be a little too late to start training my kitty now :think: :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    We just pile up the cat food if we are going away for the week. Never had any problems.
  • hanjennihanjenni Posts: 174
    we have two of these(http://www.wayfair.com/QPets-6-Meal-LCD ... E1004.html), and i set one to rotate at 12am and 12pm, the other rotates at 6am and 6pm so our cat gets a stock of food every 6 hours with plenty of time to eat from both, and having two lasts for three full days with the 6 trays in each. it starts at 12am the night we leave, and we have left out a full bowl of food for between when we leave and the first dish opening.

his medicine is scheduled for 6 am and 6pm, so i put it in the corresponding dish.

he eats from one dish every day anyway, so he is used to the schedule and the dish itself. we have to use the covered dishes because he needs moist foor because of his kidneys, and if we left it out uncovered he would eat it all at once, and it would get kind of gross. he also has a bowl of dry food to munch on in between.

we have a pet fountain that circulates the water, and holds quite a bit. but we also put out extra large bowls of water just in case.

he has two litter boxes, i make sure they are perfectly clean when we leave and sometimes put out a third.

if we are gone more than three days, i have a friend who stops in about half way through, just so he has some attention, and she updates the food dishes if needed, and shoot me a text so i know all is well. i leave her some gas money and different thank you gifts for her to be surprised with.

i worry he gets lonely, too, but in reality he spends a lot of time sleeping because he is an old man ;-) i love that cat!
    "How I choose to feel,... Is how I am."

after 20 years of waiting: EV Fox Theatre Detroit-6/26/11;Alpine Valley-9/3/11 & 9/4/11;Toronto-9/11/11;Music Midtown-8/22/12;London, Ontario-7/16/13;Wrigley Field, Chicago-7/19/13
  • hanjenni wrote:
    we have two of these(http://www.wayfair.com/QPets-6-Meal-LCD ... E1004.html), and i set one to rotate at 12am and 12pm, the other rotates at 6am and 6pm so our cat gets a stock of food every 6 hours with plenty of time to eat from both, and having two lasts for three full days with the 6 trays in each. it starts at 12am the night we leave, and we have left out a full bowl of food for between when we leave and the first dish opening.

his medicine is scheduled for 6 am and 6pm, so i put it in the corresponding dish.

he eats from one dish every day anyway, so he is used to the schedule and the dish itself. we have to use the covered dishes because he needs moist foor because of his kidneys, and if we left it out uncovered he would eat it all at once, and it would get kind of gross. he also has a bowl of dry food to munch on in between.

we have a pet fountain that circulates the water, and holds quite a bit. but we also put out extra large bowls of water just in case.

he has two litter boxes, i make sure they are perfectly clean when we leave and sometimes put out a third.

if we are gone more than three days, i have a friend who stops in about half way through, just so he has some attention, and she updates the food dishes if needed, and shoot me a text so i know all is well. i leave her some gas money and different thank you gifts for her to be surprised with.

i worry he gets lonely, too, but in reality he spends a lot of time sleeping because he is an old man ;-) i love that cat!

Wow, you are quite organized :thumbup: That feeder thing is pretty cool. But I think we wouldn't need that. Sam is a picky eater. She only eats grain free food and prefers dry. With the wet food, she only likes one brand and then only the stuff with gravy. Usually, she only licks the gravy off and leaves the morsels on the plate.
    I think we will get a pet fountain. The heat is quite strong here and it won't get better once summer weather kicks in ...
    hanjenni wrote:

Wow, you are quite organized :thumbup: That feeder thing is pretty cool. But I think we wouldn't need that. Sam is a picky eater. She only eats grain free food and prefers dry. With the wet food, she only likes one brand and then only the stuff with gravy. Usually, she only licks the gravy off and leaves the morsels on the plate.
    I think we will get a pet fountain. The heat is quite strong here and it won't get better once summer weather kicks in ...

ha, yeah ;-) pretty much out of necessity. the little furry old man is 17...and has become picky in his old age, and has the timed meds. i wish he liked better, healthier cat food, but he likes the cheap stuff and at his age he pretty much gets what he likes and i don't worry about it as long as he is eating.

now, when he and our other furball who passed a few years ago were younger, we just always left out a few bowls full of their favorite dry food and they always self regulated very well. so it mostly depends on what your little one needs. all this complicated timed stuff didn't happen until they were old. or some cats wont regulate and need the set time spans.

i am sure your little lady will be just fine! i assume that is her in your picture? cute!

after 20 years of waiting: EV Fox Theatre Detroit-6/26/11;Alpine Valley-9/3/11 & 9/4/11;Toronto-9/11/11;Music Midtown-8/22/12;London, Ontario-7/16/13;Wrigley Field, Chicago-7/19/13
  • hanjenni wrote:
    ha, yeah ;-) pretty much out of necessity. the little furry old man is 17...and has become picky in his old age, and has the timed meds. i wish he liked better, healthier cat food, but he likes the cheap stuff and at his age he pretty much gets what he likes and i don't worry about it as long as he is eating.

now, when he and our other furball who passed a few years ago were younger, we just always left out a few bowls full of their favorite dry food and they always self regulated very well. so it mostly depends on what your little one needs. all this complicated timed stuff didn't happen until they were old. or some cats wont regulate and need the set time spans.

i am sure your little lady will be just fine! i assume that is her in your picture? cute!

Nope, the one in the pic is Mr. Pickles. We got him in October, one day after my arrival in the States out of a shelter. He was 1,5 years old and we were instantly in love with him. Unfortunately, he was ill, he had a heart condition called hcm and passed away after two months. Then we took in Sam. We needed a "therapy" cat and she needed a good home. Mr. Pickles was a huge, tremendously beautiful and loving cat. But he started to feel bad three weeks after we got him. We gave him medicine three times a day and were constantly worried because his breathing got worse and worse (he had fluid in his chest area that didn't go away). Sam is a very playful little lady. She looked so weird to us in the beginning, tiny and with huge eyes and a totally different look than Mr. P. But she conquered our hearts :D At first we were just staring at her breathing when she slept, it was so normal. I don't know if we could have handled another sick cat right away. She is 5 now, and fit as a cucumber, so the outlook is good :D Cav posted a pic of her in this thread.

I hope your cat stays with you as long as possible!
    Thank you, so do we, he is such a good cat! ;-) he has been low maintenance all of his life until age caught up to him just in the last couple of years. We mostly make sure he is happy and comfy with lots of head rubs!

Sorry about mr pickles :-( that's sad! I am sure you gave him a good life for the time he had with you, though, and happy for Sam to have found a new home!

"your arrival in the states..."? where did you move from?