Who takes care your cat?

CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
We are planning on getting out of town a couple times this year and I would like to get the same person to come and feed/play with the cat each time.. I don't know how people feel about this task. It's kind of a pain in the ass to drive someplace everyday and feed a cat.. If some one close to you asked you to do this, what is the maximum number of miles you would travel before you just hate the cat owner?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    371cbef2-ae31-462a-a649-e9f1bd1bbd09_zpsd18ae0e2.jpg
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Caveeze wrote:
    We are planning on getting out of town a couple times this year and I would like to get the same person to come and feed/play with the cat each time.. I don't know how people feel about this task. It's kind of a pain in the ass to drive someplace everyday and feed a cat.. If some one close to you asked you to do this, what is the maximum number of miles you would travel before you just hate the cat owner?

how much are you paying me?

for a friend, I would ask $10-15/day, first 10 miles, that includes coming over 2x a day, giving kitty medication, cleaning the litterbox, picking up the mail, and watering your plants.

Goes up to $20/day if I have to drive farther than 15 miles.

I have 5 years of vet tech experience too.

Best friend, like if I lived in the same town as unlost...bring me back a magnet for my collection.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

how much are you paying me?

for a friend, I would ask $10-15/day, first 10 miles, that includes coming over 2x a day, giving kitty medication, cleaning the litterbox, picking up the mail, and watering your plants.

Goes up to $20/day if I have to drive farther than 15 miles.

I have 5 years of vet tech experience too.

Best friend, like if I lived in the same town as unlost...bring me back a magnet for my collection.
    wow.. Seattle to Detroit.. whats the rate? :D

So, offer money first ay?
    Caveeze wrote:
    wow.. Seattle to Detroit.. whats the rate? :D

So, offer money first ay?

for you and Leeze Cav, you buy me a RT ticket to Motor City and let me crash at your place, just bring me back a magnet!

I would ask a good friend, say, "Hey, I'm leaving town for a bit do you mind watching my cat?" watch their reaction, and offer up some monetary things, "I'll buy you a case of beer/bottle of Whisky etc" if they still seem apprehensive, say, "I'll give you $20" they will usually cave. But if you want them to pick up the mail, clean the cat box etc, money talks.

Green always helps...I'm not talking about that paper stuff either. :mrgreen:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 9FB3A161-65D3-4921-ACC4-27DC98E23836-5768-000003CAE933B166_zpsf497e9f0.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    unless he has health issues, just leave a shit ton of food and water and clean litter box. he'll be fine.

our cat gets constapated, so if it's a day or two, we'll give him high fiber food and leave him...if it's a week, we board him so that he can get his anti constipation medication. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    9FB3A161-65D3-4921-ACC4-27DC98E23836-5768-000003CAE933B166_zpsf497e9f0.jpg
    But who will pet her and clean the shit?

Leave it to a Yankee fan to have a plan that only takes you so far! :lol:;)
  • Caveeze wrote:
    9FB3A161-65D3-4921-ACC4-27DC98E23836-5768-000003CAE933B166_zpsf497e9f0.jpg
    But who will pet her and clean the shit?

Leave it to a Yankee fan to have a plan that only takes you so far! :lol:;)

DC064AD4-004A-43EA-8A4A-C4DF2CCB1CFA-5768-000003CDBE2B78DF_zpsd73ecf40.jpg
    DC064AD4-004A-43EA-8A4A-C4DF2CCB1CFA-5768-000003CDBE2B78DF_zpsd73ecf40.jpg

HA!! that is dope as hell! 85ppm ay? Seems like i could find a few uses for this 8-)
    81 wrote:
    unless he has health issues, just leave a shit ton of food and water and clean litter box. he'll be fine.

our cat gets constapated, so if it's a day or two, we'll give him high fiber food and leave him...if it's a week, we board him so that he can get his anti constipation medication. :fp:
    Poor kitty.. I hate being all bound up...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    I have a friend who takes care of mine if i go out for a few days. I don't pay them, maybe just buy them dinner or something. If it's for a few days she should be fine by herself. Only thing I would be worried about is changing her litter. I have 2 cats and two litter boxes and I'm still scooping it everyday :fp:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Caveeze wrote:

I usually get my brother, sister or my friend, Anna (who also has a cat). My brother & sister live about 15-20 miles away and my friend lives about 10 miles away. I think if you find someone that genuinely likes cats then it will seem like less than a "pain in the ass" to them. Lucky for me my family and friends get a kick out of Jonas' "desire for affection" so they don't mind too much.

I often watch my friend Anna's cat too...so it's a good balance.

If you're gone for an extended stay, usually a visit from the "kitty caretaker" every other day is fine for cats (unless they require daily medicine or something like that).

If I lived near Detroit I'd watch your kitty for you... :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....

• DC064AD4-004A-43EA-8A4A-C4DF2CCB1CFA-5768-000003CDBE2B78DF_zpsd73ecf40.jpg

:shock: :lol: I wonder how that works with belly rubs ... :think:
    Sam LOVES belly rubs. And she is a poop machine, even though she is so tiny. So somebody's gotta be the turd miner at least once a day ...
    littermaid_05282010150822.jpg

Littermaid self-cleaning litterbox

and I usually leave my cats alone for a few days, they are pretty self-sufficient. Though if they need meds, then get a sitter. Cats usually hate going to a boarding facility, stresses them out.

81, if your kitty gets constipated, give him a spoonful of canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling). It will clean him out just fine. Most kitties love canned pumpkin. Put the rest in an ice cube tray and freeze into pumpkin cubes, put the cubes in a baggie, and you can defrost a cube as you need it.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I travel a lot for work. This is how I usually deal with the cat...

Overnight: Fill the food and water bowls to the top.
    2-3 nights: I use suspension feeders. She eats or drinks and more falls down for her.
    3-5 nights: Auto food feeder, water suspension feeder.
    More than 5: Feeders plus having someone come over to do the box and to make sure the feeders are good.
    mca47 wrote:

2-3 nights: I use suspension feeders. She eats or drinks and more falls down for her.
    More than 5: Feeders plus having someone come over to do the box and to make sure the feeders are good.
    dont you feel bad about leaving it alone? I think this is a problem within me.. I feel bad for the cat..
    Caveeze wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

dont you feel bad about leaving it alone? I think this is a problem within me.. I feel bad for the cat..

get another kitty ;):D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

we tried this.. I am sure Leeze posted about it.. I am willing to try again, but I think our cat likes to remain a solo act..
    Caveeze wrote:

we tried this.. I am sure Leeze posted about it.. I am willing to try again, but I think our cat likes to remain a solo act..

oh :(

when you got her did the place you get her say this? When i first got mine, there was an "Information" sheet on her. Said what she liked and disliked and all. Said she gets along well with other cats.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

when you got her did the place you get her say this? When i first got mine, there was an "Information" sheet on her. Said what she liked and disliked and all. Said she gets along well with other cats.

We got Sam from my boss. She was in a house with 4 other cats. She had to be sequestered from the other cats because there original and most loved cat would piss all over the place when she was around.. So, after Mr. Pickles passed, we decided to take Sam and give her freedom!!! She loves it BTW!!! but, I think she doesn't like other cats..
  • Caveeze wrote:

We got Sam from my boss. She was in a house with 4 other cats. She had to be sequestered from the other cats because there original and most loved cat would piss all over the place when she was around.. So, after Mr. Pickles passed, we decided to take Sam and give her freedom!!! She loves it BTW!!! but, I think she doesn't like other cats..

I want to add that I think it was too early. We met a really sweet and very loving big boy cat and decided to take him with us. But he was double her size and very loving. We separated them right away, but she hissed at us when she smelled him on us. One single view action didn't end well and she hid the whole day and hissed. Fortunately, we were able to give him back to his loving foster home, and I think the donation helped them a little, too.
    Our tiny energetic fluffball deserves to be an only-cat, at least for now. Maybe we try it again when spring is here and a kitten comes our way ...
    Caveeze wrote:

some cats are destined to be 'single cat' households.

Cav, get your kitty a bird feeder and put it outside her favorite window, get a cool kitty window perch. You will be the pimp daddy. 8-)

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    littermaid_05282010150822.jpg

Littermaid self-cleaning litterbox

and I usually leave my cats alone for a few days, they are pretty self-sufficient. Though if they need meds, then get a sitter. Cats usually hate going to a boarding facility, stresses them out.

81, if your kitty gets constipated, give him a spoonful of canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling). It will clean him out just fine. Most kitties love canned pumpkin. Put the rest in an ice cube tray and freeze into pumpkin cubes, put the cubes in a baggie, and you can defrost a cube as you need it.
    Damn it!! You beat be to both answers!! Ha!! And my sister and I trade pet sitting chores, as do my
    parents and I. When I leave, some one out if them watches
    Tommy The Cat ( yes, that's his name!!) and when any of them leave, I watch Zoe ( my parents' dog),
    And it Jack and Betty ( sis's dogs). However, when I go to Wrigley, cause I'll be gone for
    2 weeks I'll give my sis money for having to clean up the cat shit for
    two weeks!! Caveese, Tommy The Cat is a major pooper too!
    I have never SEEN a cat generate that much poop before!!
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    I have a friend come over and do it. They never ask for anything but we usually hit a local candy store and bring them something just because they are doing it. Plus she likes to come visit Gremmie and Pig so she doesn't mind.
    My butt itches!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    we have a cat? :shock:

:fp: :fp: :fp:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I've always left my cats at home because they get too stressed staying in a new place. My brother used to just come and stay with them for a few days and get free reign of my house before he got a life of his own. Now that my other cat died my mom comes twice a day to feed my kitty, spend some time with her and give her medicine. And this thing rocks:

lr-md-beige.jpg

It's the litter robot and it's crazy expensive, but so worth it. It's so easy to clean and you will never smell kitty litter again. It only needs to be emptied every few days, so my mom doesn't have to worry about the litter while we're gone.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    I've always left my cats at home because they get too stressed staying in a new place. My brother used to just come and stay with them for a few days and get free reign of my house before he got a life of his own. Now that my other cat died my mom comes twice a day to feed my kitty, spend some time with her and give her medicine. And this thing rocks:

lr-md-beige.jpg

It's the litter robot and it's crazy expensive, but so worth it. It's so easy to clean and you will never smell kitty litter again. It only needs to be emptied every few days, so my mom doesn't have to worry about the litter while we're gone.

Hmmm sounds good but I would be afraid to get it. Gremmie doesn't even like the plastic covers that you can put on the litter box. He get's pissed and will try to knock it off.
    My butt itches!
  • DURP wrote:
    I've always left my cats at home because they get too stressed staying in a new place. My brother used to just come and stay with them for a few days and get free reign of my house before he got a life of his own. Now that my other cat died my mom comes twice a day to feed my kitty, spend some time with her and give her medicine. And this thing rocks:

lr-md-beige.jpg

Hmmm sounds good but I would be afraid to get it. Gremmie doesn't even like the plastic covers that you can put on the litter box. He get's pissed and will try to knock it off.
    My cat hates those too!! I was going to try to toilet train him, but then he
    Locked himself IN the toilet once and now hates the bathroom.. Unless he hears the shower,
    Then he thinks he's getting a bath too and he gets all happy!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:

Thank you Lisa for your suggestion. We tried that when it first happened with no luck. He now gets 2.5ml of lactose (sp) twice a day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Caveeze wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Sure, but that's what toys and windows are for! :lol: