Options

"I didn't want to become what I despised as a kid..."

LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
edited February 2013 in The Porch
Let me preface this by saying that this has no bearing on how I feel about PJ's music. I still love their music and I'm grateful for how it's improved my life over the past couple of years. That being said, I have a bit of a gripe...

Pearl Jam took on Ticketmaster years back over what they felt were unfair service charges to fans. Nowadays, they're charging at least $80 a ticket AND the ticketing system is horrible. Being put in a "waiting room" website to wait forever, only to find out a show was sold out?! That's messed up. Yes, Ticketmaster charges fees that seem a bit much, but if it guarantees me a ticket to a show without having to go through hoops and aggravation, I'll gladly pay the fees. By the way for those who didn't get tickets, wait until about a week before the show. StubHub will have excellent deals. I've done it many times before with concerts...I've gotten great seats at half the price they originally sold for. Never had a problem. I dunno about anyone else, but in today's world, I can do a lot more with $80 than go see a band who's performance I can catch on YouTube the next day (or through live streaming by the awesome fans that do it).

The lottery and seniority system that 10c has going here is something I fiercely disagree with. It shouldn't matter how long you've been a fan or in the fan club. That should never determine your chances of going to see a show. The lottery is just another anxiety-invoking ordeal to put the fans through. My opinion? Just put the tickets on sale, first come, first served. Simple as that. If people don't get pre-sale or 10c exclusive tickets, that's just how it goes.

I'm sorry Jeff but your band has become what you, and myself, despise (in the business sense). I'm sure I'll catch plenty of shit for calling out the almighty Pearl Jam, but they aren't infallible.

I do still think PJ's fans are the most generous, welcoming, kind people, regardless of how you guys may respond to this post. I'll gladly welcome a civilized and logical debate. And I will give kudos for the low-priced membership to 10c. I've seen bands ask as much as $120 for fan club membership.

So...that's all. I'll step off the soap box now.
"Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    Getting rid of seniority (even more than they have) is a great way to invite more scalpers into the 10C.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Let me preface this by saying that this has no bearing on how I feel about PJ's music. I still love their music and I'm grateful for how it's improved my life over the past couple of years. That being said, I have a bit of a gripe...

Pearl Jam took on Ticketmaster years back over what they felt were unfair service charges to fans. Nowadays, they're charging at least $80 a ticket AND the ticketing system is horrible. Being put in a "waiting room" website to wait forever, only to find out a show was sold out?! That's messed up. Yes, Ticketmaster charges fees that seem a bit much, but if it guarantees me a ticket to a show without having to go through hoops and aggravation, I'll gladly pay the fees. By the way for those who didn't get tickets, wait until about a week before the show. StubHub will have excellent deals. I've done it many times before with concerts...I've gotten great seats at half the price they originally sold for. Never had a problem. I dunno about anyone else, but in today's world, I can do a lot more with $80 than go see a band who's performance I can catch on YouTube the next day (or through live streaming by the awesome fans that do it).

The lottery and seniority system that 10c has going here is something I fiercely disagree with. It shouldn't matter how long you've been a fan or in the fan club. That should never determine your chances of going to see a show. The lottery is just another anxiety-invoking ordeal to put the fans through. My opinion? Just put the tickets on sale, first come, first served. Simple as that. If people don't get pre-sale or 10c exclusive tickets, that's just how it goes.

I'm sorry Jeff but your band has become what you, and myself, despise (in the business sense). I'm sure I'll catch plenty of shit for calling out the almighty Pearl Jam, but they aren't infallible.

I do still think PJ's fans are the most generous, welcoming, kind people, regardless of how you guys may respond to this post. I'll gladly welcome a civilized and logical debate. And I will give kudos for the low-priced membership to 10c. I've seen bands ask as much as $120 for fan club membership.

PJ has nothing to do with how these tickets were sold. 1500 tickets on scalper sites, wrigley holds 41000. I'd say people did just fine today, Wednesday and the lottery. Almost 40000 tickets in true fans hands seems good to me.
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

I totally agree with you....The band doesn't care about the fans anymore..That is the bottom line..
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Hate to say it, but your whole second paragraph is very contradicting.

You love them because they stood up to ticketmaster for charging a bunch a fees?
    Now you are pissed they are charging 80 bucks a ticket when you can watch it on youtube?
    But yet as much as ticketmaster sucks (and you were once glad the band stood up to them) you would
    be happy to pay all the fee's to avoid sitting in a virtual waiting room?

I'm not nitpicking, just not following.

btw, i got shut out BIGTIME, and i agree, i'll get good tickets from stubhub for cheap.

just chill and remember how much things have changed for people trying to make a living from music.

I see it on the shitty small time local level with my own stuff, i can only imagine what it's like on the the level our boys are at.

Cheers!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Just a question, not looking to argue, but have you never been shut out if tickets from ticketmaster? Tickemaster is in no way a guarantee of getting tickets. I've been shut out many times in ticketmaster. Just wondering since you stated you would pay the fees cause it guaranteed tix.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    edited February 2013
    how many 10c presales you try to score with first come -first serve?
    how ticketmaster can guarantees you a ticket to a show when people trying to score are more than the tickets are available for sale?
    how just like that 10c throw to the garbage seniority and the fans are members so many years in the row?
    how much you think will cost the pair via ticketmaster?

and if they do what you saying,will means that they care and now they dont care for the fans?

and once again...

TODAY WASNT A 10C SALE......10C and the band cant do anything at public sale
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,680
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

I totally agree with you....The band doesn't care about the fans anymore..That is the bottom line..

Is that why they keep ticket prices relatively low? They could sell tickets for twice what they are now.
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:

You love them because they stood up to ticketmaster for charging a bunch a fees?
    Now you are pissed they are charging 80 bucks a ticket when you can watch it on youtube?
    But yet as much as ticketmaster sucks (and you were once glad the band stood up to them) you would

btw, i got shut out BIGTIME, and i agree, i'll get good tickets from stubhub for cheap.

just chill and remember how much things have changed for people trying to make a living from music.

I see it on the shitty small time local level with my own stuff, i can only imagine what it's like on the the level our boys are at.

Cheers!
    No hun, I never said I loved them for going after Ticketmaster. I mentioned how they took them on to show how THEY are contradicting their whole "unfair pricing" thing with charging $80+ for tickets.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Cheers!
    No hun, I never said I loved them for going after Ticketmaster. I mentioned how they took them on to show how THEY are contradicting their whole "unfair pricing" thing with charging $80+ for tickets.

$80 dollar tickets isn't unfair.
  • Options
    Just a question, not looking to argue, but have you never been shut out if tickets from ticketmaster? Tickemaster is in no way a guarantee of getting tickets. I've been shut out many times in ticketmaster. Just wondering since you stated you would pay the fees cause it guaranteed tix.
    Personally, no I've never been shut out for tickets whether on a physical line at a Ticketmaster vendor or online at the website. I should clear that up a little....I didn't necessarily mean you were guaranteed the tickets. I meant it more like you didn't have go into this virtual waiting room. Whenever I ordered tickets the day of the sale, the most I ever waited was about 2 minutes.
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Personally, no I've never been shut out for tickets whether on a physical line at a Ticketmaster vendor or online at the website. I should clear that up a little....I didn't necessarily mean you were guaranteed the tickets. I meant it more like you didn't have go into this virtual waiting room. Whenever I ordered tickets the day of the sale, the most I ever waited was about 2 minutes.
    do you understand that today sale,the band couldnt choose ticketmaster,but was the way the venue do their sales?
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    do you understand that today sale,the band couldnt choose ticketmaster,but was the way the venue do their sales?
    I think people miss this point....
  • Options
    GoodbyeForNowGoodbyeForNow Vancouver Posts: 120
    how many 10c presales you try to score with first come -first serve?
    how ticketmaster can guarantees you a ticket to a show when people trying to score are more than the tickets are available for sale?
    how just like that 10c throw to the garbage seniority and the fans are members so many years in the row?
    how much you think will cost the pair via ticketmaster?

and if they do what you saying,will means that they care and now they dont care for the fans?

and once again...

TODAY WASNT A 10C SALE......10C and the band cant do anything at public sale

:clap: :thumbup:

So many threads/facebook posts - people bitching/moaning/crying; claims that pearl jam has lost "real" fans; 10c is to blame; etc. Jesus.

Public sale

Supply vs Demand
    Vancouver, GM Place 2005
    Vancouver, GM Place 2009
    Seattle, EV Solo, Benaroya Hall 2011
    Winnipeg, MTS Center, 2011
    Manchester, June 2012
    Phoenix, EV Solo, Comerica Theatre 2012
  • Options
    I do understand today wasn't a 10c sale. I was just giving my opinion on that as well.

And yes, I think $80 is expensive per ticket.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Cheers!

Got ya'. I indeed read that wrong.

With that being said, I just hate seeing people go after the band for charging what they charge for tickets, when they could charge so much more. Me personally, i want my favorite band to make some money, lots of money in fact. Why? Because I want them to continue being a band and making the music I love.

Artists don't make jack crap from record sales anymore, it's not cheap to put on big rock shows, and they still don't charge what other bands charge.

I spent 40 bucks to see the Supersuckers in a small shitty bar. I love the Supersuckers so I paid it.

I don't think seeing PJ in an arena charging twice what I paid to see the Supersuckers in shithole is that unfair.

Thanks for clarifying and setting me straight on what you were saying though. My mistake.

I'm betting you wind up at the show though without having to spend a shit-ton on tickets. :D

Keep the faith.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    I think people miss this point....
    i really read carefully the previous days yours and another member post about how the tickets.com works..
    you explain to the forum perfect how things will go today..
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    I do understand today wasn't a 10c sale. I was just giving my opinion on that as well.

and if was ticketmaster woild be 100 min+ fees..
    and me as international buyer would be 130-140$ total,cos they even charge more for international buyers..

and 10c at upper deck was 118$ the price for a pair..
  • Options
    PEARL JAM AND TEN CLUB HAD NO CHOICE ON HOW TICKETS WERE SOLD TODAY.

They had to use those distributors because of venue. Also, the face value price for the ticket I bought was 50 something bucks. Not expensive considering the venues and today's market. Flying was cheaper 20 years ago, movies were cheaper 20 years ago, why would pearl jam shows be any different. Check what the next act charges for a show at Wrigley. It will be more than PJ.

They aren't perfect, they're just human.
  • Options
    gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    I'm sure it's safe to say that there is no way to please everyone. Regardless of the ticketing system, not everyone will get tickets. That's just the way it goes. With only 1 announced concert in the states now that seats 41K people and over 450K in the 10C it's obvious. So don't blame the band. $80 is very reasonable. I've paid that and more to see plays and operas, so this is no biggie. The massive cost of putting on a concert is huge. At this price it's $3.28 million for Wrigley, it isn't a cheap place to contract out for a night, plus pay every worker and then split the final profits 5 ways among the band.
  • Options
    $80 is expensive for a ticket? Maybe for Soundgarden. But not a real band.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,924
    Seriously, why are people pearl jam fans? People complain about everything. Where were all of you people when they didn't sell out alpine valley? Oh you were complaining that it was in the middle of nowhere. Where were all the people who complained about getting shut of the spectrum shows? Oh they complained that pearl jam played the made in America festival so since it was a festival they wouldn't go. Honestly, this band just can't win. After all the bitching on these boards from their true fans it's a wonder they even tour anymore. Oh that's right, they don t do full fledge tours anymore especially in the USA. Maybe one day we ll get the hint.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    Got ya'. I indeed read that wrong.

With that being said, I just hate seeing people go after the band for charging what they charge for tickets, when they could charge so much more. Me personally, i want my favorite band to make some money, lots of money in fact. Why? Because I want them to continue being a band and making the music I love.

Artists don't make jack crap from record sales anymore, it's not cheap to put on big rock shows, and they still don't charge what other bands charge.

I spent 40 bucks to see the Supersuckers in a small shitty bar. I love the Supersuckers so I paid it.

I don't think seeing PJ in an arena charging twice what I paid to see the Supersuckers in shithole is that unfair.

Thanks for clarifying and setting me straight on what you were saying though. My mistake.

I'm betting you wind up at the show though without having to spend a shit-ton on tickets. :D

Keep the faith.
    Granted, I've seen bands like Aerosmith charge $150 and more for tickets. But I've also seen bands like Metallica charge $40 per ticket and they indeed put on a much bigger show than Pearl Jam and Aerosmith combined. I'm not one to say who should be making more money. But I think Pearl Jam has come to the realization, albeit a little late in the game, that fans WILL pay any amount of money to see them and they can rake in a shit-ton of money. Almost like they're taking advantage. YES, they do have control over ticket prices. They proudly proclaim how "in-house" their business is....they can call the shots.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Seriously, why are people pearl jam fans? People complain about everything. Where were all of you people when they didn't sell out alpine valley? Oh you were complaining that it was in the middle of nowhere. Where were all the people who complained about getting shut of the spectrum shows? Oh they complained that pearl jam played the made in America festival so since it was a festival they wouldn't go. Honestly, this band just can't win. After all the bitching on these boards from their true fans it's a wonder they even tour anymore. Oh that's right, they don t do full fledge tours anymore especially in the USA. Maybe one day we ll get the hint.
    so true....
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Being a fan of a band doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do/say/write, etc. I can like a band's music and hate their members (not the case with PJ, just saying). I'm not gonna praise everything they do because they're PEARL JAM. We're allowed to be disappointed or angry or argumentative.
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Granted, I've seen bands like Aerosmith charge $150 and more for tickets. But I've also seen bands like Metallica charge $40 per ticket and they indeed put on a much bigger show than Pearl Jam and Aerosmith combined. I'm not one to say who should be making more money. But I think Pearl Jam has come to the realization, albeit a little late in the game, that fans WILL pay any amount of money to see them and they can rake in a shit-ton of money. Almost like they're taking advantage. YES, they do have control over ticket prices. They proudly proclaim how "in-house" their business is....they can call the shots.

Metallica with Slayer, Megadeath and some other has been metal band charged this at Yankee stadium:

-- front general admission (floor): $225
    -- back general admission (floor): $175
    -- lower level seats: $119
    -- upper deck seats: $90
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Being a fan of a band doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do/say/write, etc. I can like a band's music and hate their members (not the case with PJ, just saying). I'm not gonna praise everything they do because they're PEARL JAM. We're allowed to be disappointed or angry or argumentative.
    of course you dont have to agree with everything..
    but sorry, being dissapointed doesnt mean you are right..
    cos clearly,you dont understand from your post,how 10c do the sales,why they end up with lottery,how ticketmaster works ,how many fan club tix the 10c can get,and even the metallica show as exable isnt the rule...was one time thing only..check other shows how much metallica charge.
    and cos u didnt get shut out from ticketmaster in the past,doeant mean all fans didnt shut out
    ticketmaster even fucked up the sale of obama speach lately...
    +the price of the ticket will go up like crazy....dont forget that
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    If the show was sold on ticketmaster, there would have been many more tix in the hands of scalpers. The waiting room is frustrating, but it puts everyone at the same disadvantage.
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

Gotcha. Thanks for tha answer. Was thinking, damn I want that guarantee! Ha
  • Options
    troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412
    I have read the posts placed in this topic. I think the one thing that is universal no matter what happens:

"Time heals all wounds"

The angry fans are angry because they care so much. This happens in all walks of life, sports, work, marriage, religion. When the dust settles and there is time to reflect people (most) will still love this band for who they are and what they mean to them.

I think as time passes there is a fear that PJ could breakup, a member could leave or worse, or they will stop touring. So each show announced and played seems more important than the tours of 10 years ago. At a certain point it may no longer be PJ and they could be the way of now just Roger Waters. This is a gift we are given by the band and we are all more protective of that gift.

No matter what happens not everyone will be pleased with the way things are done and the outcome. But the universal truth is that life and time go on! Keep on living in the present tense. If I see you in Chicago let's have a beer and share in the moment.
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

What kind of live shows do you go to? for $5 you can see a local band, for $45 you can see Huey Lewis, and for $80 you can see the greatest band ever.