Options

What Is Discrimination?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We've had to fire a few customers in our 20 years in business, not for color, sexual preference,
    religious choices but cause they were assholes, pure and simple. I guess that is a form of intolerance too.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    It's pretty difficult to get away from discrimination in life.

Basically, every choice we make is a form of it. Who are friends are, what businesses we frequent, places we work, etc.

If I had a business, I personally wouldn't refuse services to someone based upon sexual preference, race, etc., but for many businesses I don't see the justification for making that illegal. We, as consumers, can punish them by not buying their products.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    Maybe it was due to religious reasons. No, wait, religion preaches love, not discrimination.

I'm not sure of the point of this comment, but my religion preaches and practices love.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

boycotting his store is a measure of intolerance as well ...

interesting thought.

makes one think about what it means to be tolerant

interesting.. Good point.
    And I cant even really put it into words, but I guess what I'd try to say is that there's different types of intolerance, stemming from motive..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,733
    polaris_x wrote:
    just amazing.. So, by denying the couple the cake, you gotta wonder, is the baker trying to thwart their plan to have a wedding, or he just doenst want them to have cake? Its like a kid packing their toys, storming off and taking them home.. immature.
    No matter how you feel, that is absolutely terrible business. I suppose the business should be able to refuse customers if they want, but they will have to deal with the consequences. Where was this?

portland of all places! ... :lol::lol:

http://www.edgeonthenet.com/news/nation ... ian_couple

first link that came up - read it originally on yahoo

Not to hate on poor Gresham. It's the first suburb to the east of Portland, and you could say it's a little behind. Still, the guy may have to move shop to Coos Bay.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Maybe it was due to religious reasons. No, wait, religion preaches love, not discrimination.

I'm not sure of the point of this comment, but my religion preaches and practices love.

I posted this earlier in the thread.....

This is no different from the Muslim barber who didn't want to cut the dykes hair here in the city.

There religion preaches the same as every other, no?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... regor.html

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

boycotting his store is a measure of intolerance as well ...

interesting thought.

makes one think about what it means to be tolerant

interesting.. Good point.
    And I cant even really put it into words, but I guess what I'd try to say is that there's different types of intolerance, stemming from motive..

In this case though... people would be discriminating more against an action versus a person. I would think that people can be forgiven and if the baker made successful attempts to show he has rethought his position, people would be inclined to let him offf the hook.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what i find really strange is that he has no problems serving the LGBT community and that he is happy to bake them cakes but just not wedding cakes ... so does it mean that he is okay with non-heterosexuals but feels like if they get married - it takes away from his own marriage? ... or is it that he tolerates non-heterosexuals because they pay in the same currency but he draws the line at the marriage thing?

i really don't understand why some people feel like they can own a word ... i can understand defining it however you want but so can others ... why do these people care so much? ... i would understand it more if they just didn't serve the LGBT community at all ...
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    polaris_x wrote:
    what i find really strange is that he has no problems serving the LGBT community and that he is happy to bake them cakes but just not wedding cakes ... so does it mean that he is okay with non-heterosexuals but feels like if they get married - it takes away from his own marriage? ... or is it that he tolerates non-heterosexuals because they pay in the same currency but he draws the line at the marriage thing?

i really don't understand why some people feel like they can own a word ... i can understand defining it however you want but so can others ... why do these people care so much? ... i would understand it more if they just didn't serve the LGBT community at all ...

Tradition!! :lol: (Sorry, it's what my father would say, as he's ok with his nephew being gay but not for gays to actually get married.)
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Must be 21 to buy Alcohol
  • Options
    Agreed with all above; Idris thread but it seems you can't "imbed more than 3 threads."
    Poor way to do business but more laws won't solve hate issues.

As a proprietor, I would discriminate against hateful behavior if it ever came up but in 2o plus years, it never has. However, the no shirt, no shoes no serive occasionally comes in handy! ;)
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    brianlux wrote:
    The motto I came up with for my business is "Quality used books for the discriminating reader".

guess i won't be visiting :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I would think this would already be illegal ... so no new laws would be necessary.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... urses.html

soooo ... a neo-nazi is having a baby in a hospital in flint, mi and requests no black nurses tend to his child ... they agreed ... nurse sues ...

thoughts?
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/02/21/nurse_sues_after_hospital_grants_fathers_request_for_no_black_nurses.html

soooo ... a neo-nazi is having a baby in a hospital in flint, mi and requests no black nurses tend to his child ... they agreed ... nurse sues ...

thoughts?

Sad. Mostly because the asshole has procreated and that means the attitude has a chance of being perpetuated. The kid is going to have to overcome a deeply ingrained racist view of the world courtesy of his father- who likely developed his character in a similar fashion.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    I mean,It's not the right thing to do, but we can't truly solve 'hate' with laws.
    -

We're not really trying to stop "hate," but inequality. Hate me all you want... but the people of Oregon have decided that picking and choosing to whom you'll sell food is illegal.

I've said many times that I really don't care what a devout Evangelical Christian thinks of me... and I don't think he'd really care what I think of him, either.

But just as we found it repugnant that there were "whites only " lunch counters in the south, we should find it just as repugnant that there are "straight Christians only" cake stores in the Pacific north west.

There are plenty of states that don't have that law and he's more than welcome to move there. Nobody is forcing him to open a wedding cake store in a place where he must have known full-well that he would one day be asked to make a cake for someone that he feels is beneath him.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/02/21/nurse_sues_after_hospital_grants_fathers_request_for_no_black_nurses.html

thoughts?

Some patients have really bad Dementia (is a loss of brain function) or Alzheimer's disease. They can't remember they are not racist. So they get scared everyday. It is really not unusual, the same for requesting only a male nurse. If you need nursing, You need Comfort! Whatever they can do to ease the patient, they will do.
    That is only in Health care. The rest of them can go fly some kites....

The medical field is a touchy place. :o
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    I mean,It's not the right thing to do, but we can't truly solve 'hate' with laws.
    -

We're not really trying to stop "hate," but inequality. Hate me all you want... but the people of Oregon have decided that picking and choosing to whom you'll sell food is illegal.

I've said many times that I really don't care what a devout Evangelical Christian thinks of me... and I don't think he'd really care what I think of him, either.

But just as we found it repugnant that there were "whites only " lunch counters in the south, we should find it just as repugnant that there are "straight Christians only" cake stores in the Pacific north west.

There are plenty of states that don't have that law and he's more than welcome to move there. Nobody is forcing him to open a wedding cake store in a place where he must have known full-well that he would one day be asked to make a cake for someone that he feels is beneath him.

There is much to what Prince has said here.

The last sentence sums up the worst in humanity: when people view other humans as lesser humans.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Discrimination is the prejudicial or distinguishing treatment of an individual based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or category, such as their age, ethnicity, gender/sex, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, skin color, or other characteristics. It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction, influencing the individual's actual behavior towards the group or the group leader, restricting members of one group from opportunities or privileges that are available to another group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decision making.[2

Discriminatory traditions, policies, ideas, practices, and laws exist in many countries and institutions in every part of the world, even in ones where discrimination is generally looked down upon. In some places, controversial attempts such as quotas have been used to redress negative effects of discrimination—but have sometimes been called reverse discrimination themselves.

thanks wiki