Applebee's

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I went to Applebee’s for the first time in probably 15 years the other day. You know their big thing is their 2 for $20 meals (one appetizer, two entrée’s for $20). It was early and we only wanted something light so we went for that.
Well, I open the menu and the waitress shows me the options for the 2 for $20 deal, and there is a orange notation on a few of the entrees (one says 1$ more, others $2 more).
The one I wanted was the 7oz sirloin and it said for a $1 more. I said what do I get if I want to pay the $1 more, do I get more veggies? She said, no, nothing, it’s just a dollar more.
I said, what do you mean?

She points to the sirloin entrée and said, if you get this, and then points to another entrée, and you get that, it’s $21.00, not $20. :nono:

How is that 2 for $20 then?

It’s not the money, it’s the fucking principle of it and the fact that it’s false advertising!

So fuck Applebee’s, I will never go there again and I’m passing it on to anyone who wants to join me. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,521
    ahhhh, the ol' bait and switch :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i see the real problem...you went to applebee's. :puke:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    several years ago we decided
    no more applebee's
    then we gave them another chance
    joke on us
    no more applebee's
    ever
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Appleballs. I haven't been there in a while but when I did go it was for my kids.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,521
    i hate how every applebees has all these pictures of local landmarks like they are actually a local restaurant owned by local people.

the jigs up applebees :x
    www.myspace.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    their fries are gross...I don't trust any restaurant if their fries suck.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Yeah I'll be honest with you, the meal wasn't good either

but stuff like this just infuriates me, that ad is ALL OVER TV. Applebee's 2 for $20

but it's a flat out LIE
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    now they have the under 550 calories meals...
    or something like that
    no fucking way anything that comes out of that kitchen is under 550 calories
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    I’ll be honest, I was surprised because it had been so many years since I was there, but this one was actually very nice.

I kind of feel bad too because we gave the waitress a hard time about it and it’s not her fault. But I was just stunned by the blatancy of it. I asked if they participate in the 2 for $20 and she said yes, that menu is on the back page.

She didn’t say anything about it all being a lie. :lol:
  • their slogan should be: Fresh from the freezer to your plate, with a quick detour thru the microwave
    their slogan should be: Fresh from the freezer to your plate, with a quick detour thru the microwave

most chain restaurants are that way now.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    "let's go get kicked out of the Applebee's!"
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm far from being a food snob, I'll down a McRib or a package of Top Ramen with the best of 'em. But DON'T GO TO APPLEBEE'S. I've noticed a lot of hate for Applebee's around here, and I thought it was just people being food snobs. But I recently went to Applebee's because I had been given a gift card, and got the worst ribs in my life. They were so dry and chewy that I complained, and I'm not usually the type to do that because I don't like eating or drinking spit. After that visit I realized that even though I had only been to Applebee's a handful of times, I never got a good meal there. I remember being in high school, being high, and going to Applebee's with a friend, I forget what I ordered but I only ate about 1/4 of it before I gave up and told the waitress to take it away. If a teenage boy with the munchies (possibly the most hungry a human being can get without starving them half to death) won't eat Applebee's, I'm not sure who would.

There has to be SOMETHING on their menu that is good and keeps them open. Otherwise I would think they would have gone out of business. But whatever that menu item is, I've never ordered it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Y'know how you always hear people say that everything tastes better with bacon in it? Applebee's has disproved this hypothesis because I'm pretty sure they put bacon in everything. Or at least they've done so with everything my wife (who is a vegetarian) has ever ordered.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Fact
    JTH wrote:
    Y'know how you always hear people say that everything tastes better with bacon in it? Applebee's has disproved this hypothesis because I'm pretty sure they put bacon in everything. Or at least they've done so with everything my wife (who is a vegetarian) has ever ordered.

You must be right because there was a couple of woman sitting at the bar and they were eating some kind of salads and immediately, the one woman said, this has pork in it (bacon I assume) and I can't eat pork, so they had to make a whole new salad for her. Apparently, bacon wasn't listed as one of the ingredients on the menu.

Well, I'm actually getting a lot of satisfaction out of this thread, because what I really wanted was to get the news out that Applebee's is a fraud but apparently all of you already have your qualms with them and that suits me just fine. :lol:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Well, I'm actually getting a lot of satisfaction out of this thread, because what I really wanted was to get the news out that Applebee's is a fraud but apparently all of you already have your qualms with them and that suits me just fine. :lol:

I've noticed they've been kind of a punching bag around here for a while, and for pretty good reason. They have several mentions in the "Most Hated Foods" thread.

It's amazing they stay in business to be honest. I think they just have pretty good marketing. Their commercials try to give the impression of being part of your neighborhood and family, sort of like Cheers, everybody knows your name, etc. As if they weren't a corporate chain. I remember a commercial they used to air a lot, where the local football team just lost the "big game" and pulled up to Applebee's to drown their sorrows in bacon. But to their disappointment Applebee's is closed and they walk away looking completely depressed, because even though their hard work hadn't paid off and they lost the big game, a quesadilla burger could have made life worth living again. Luckily the kindly manager of the restaurant flips the sign to open and lets them in and feeds them. A lot of people go to the local Applebee's as more of a bar than a restaurant, and a guy I knew left his jacket in there one night, he went back about 20 minutes after closing. They would not let him in, and after they unsuccessfully tried to look for it themselves he tried get let in to look for himself, but they refused to let him in the door and said to come back the next day. He never saw that jacket again. I'm not saying they stole it, it was just as likely another bar patron, but the point is that friendly neighborhood restaurant thing is a bunch of bullshit. They won't let you in for 2 minutes to grab your jacket, much less cook a meal for an entire football team.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    arms aloft over applebeeeeeees
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I've had some pretty decent burgers there, but that's pretty hard to fuck up. Usually get a salad to go with it and that again is pretty hard to fuckup. But a few times I've ordered something besides a burger and I've never had anything memorable and it's usually disappointing.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Eating good in the neighborhood my ass
    the Mr. likes their margaritas, the bartender at the one near us likes to 'over pour'.

The only thing I liked there was this cinnamon caramel apple roll-up. It was apple pie filling with cream cheese and rolled up in an egg roll type wrapper and then deep fried and topped with caramel sauce.

Pretty much everything on their menu is stuff you can find on any 'diner' type restaurant menu. He always suggests going there, but then I make the face :|

- Christopher McCandless
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Eating good in the neighborhood my ass
    If the neighborhood was an ass.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DewieCox wrote:
    I've had some pretty decent burgers there, but that's pretty hard to fuck up. Usually get a salad to go with it and that again is pretty hard to fuckup. But a few times I've ordered something besides a burger and I've never had anything memorable and it's usually disappointing.

Happy Birthday
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:

Happy Birthday

Thanks!!
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    That doesn't happen at the applebees here that I am aware of.
    RKCNDY wrote:

Their fries are awesome
    now they have the under 550 calories meals...
    or something like that
    no fucking way anything that comes out of that kitchen is under 550 calories

Certainly... they just give you a smaller portion and vegetables
    Jesus. We must have a good applebees out here
    That doesn't happen at the applebees here that I am aware of.
    Their fries are awesome
    Jesus. We must have a good applebees out here

SatansFuton...I think I found the only person who will eat at Applebee's...Will. :lol:

- Christopher McCandless
    My whole family loves the place, actually :lol: