"Static" Shock Collars for dogs

mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone use one? My gf and I just gor a beagle puppy who is amazing and as quiet as a mouse when we're there. However, the other night we went out for the first time since getting him and within 20 minutes we were receving calls from the doorman saying neighbors were complaining and ready to call the police because of his howling. He is 8 months old and we do not want to give him back, but if we can't stop the howling we'll have to or face future eviction. Thoughts? Advice?
"The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    how long have you trained him on being on his own? And is he crate trained?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • I'd reach out to a local obedience trainer and see if they have any recommendations before resorting to shock collars. There may be a simpler solution to help curb it's anxiety while you guys are gone.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • paging unlost...
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    how long have you trained him on being on his own? And is he crate trained?
    We've only had him a week. He's only been left alone twice, the first was for a short time and our neighbor said he howled for a few minutes and then stopped. On Friday it was for the whole time we were gone. He is crate trained as to sleep in, but haven't tried to leave him in it when we go out as we have another dog and figured if he was crated and she was not he would lose his cool. As to the other post, we would love to go to a trainer but fear that there isn't enough time for that. We live in a luxury building that is known as an 80/20 building (80 % market value/20% low income tenants). Not to sound disctimanatory, but the 20% are home all day and night,apparently never leave, and are always ready to complain. If it was after hours and a dog was howling I would (eventually) complain but not before at least talking to the resident. Their first response was (within minutes) to lodge a complaint and threaten to call the police for a noise disturbance. I know some buildings in NYC have a ban on Beagles for this very reason, so at the end of the day we may have to give him up, but want to try all possible options in the time we have.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    First of all, I wouldn't be concerned about crating him while the other dog is loose. He's a puppy, he needs boundaries, and the crate helps give him security. He'll be fine. He will probably just curl up and go to sleep.

Practice leaving him alone a few times. Put him in his crate and leave for a few minutes. Come home, let him out, and make a big fuss over what a good dog he is. Repeat the process for longer periods of time. It lets him know that even though you leave you always return.

I've trained 8 dogs in obedience and I can tell you this is a pretty common problem with puppies. I think you can overcome it with training and behavior modification. I can't stand things like those shock collars which punish a dog's natural instincts.

Read as much as you can about the breed and training it. Different breeds can require differences in training methods. I have shelties, which are just about the barkingest dogs you can find, but mine never bark when they are on lead or in the obedience ring. At home, it's another story! :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    First of all, I wouldn't be concerned about crating him while the other dog is loose. He's a puppy, he needs boundaries, and the crate helps give him security. He'll be fine. He will probably just curl up and go to sleep.

Practice leaving him alone a few times. Put him in his crate and leave for a few minutes. Come home, let him out, and make a big fuss over what a good dog he is. Repeat the process for longer periods of time. It lets him know that even though you leave you always return.

I've trained 8 dogs in obedience and I can tell you this is a pretty common problem with puppies. I think you can overcome it with training and behavior modification. I can't stand things like those shock collars which punish a dog's natural instincts.

Read as much as you can about the breed and training it. Different breeds can require differences in training methods. I have shelties, which are just about the barkingest dogs you can find, but mine never bark when they are on lead or in the obedience ring. At home, it's another story! :lol:
    Yeah, he never barks at home when we're there (even when the other is barking at something. Never barks on his lead, or anywhere for that matter. Really sweet and well behaved for a puppy, just the separation anxiety gets the best of him when we leave (this is the third household he's been in in the past three weeks). We'll try the crate for short periods with praise, just wish our neighbors didn't have such a hair trigger when it came to complaining.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

Yeah, living in an apartment and having rude neighbors is a bad combination.

If he's had been in 3 households in 3 weeks, I'd think separation anxiety would be pretty normal. Give him lots of lovey time.
    When I left my dog alone for the first time as a puppy he would cry and yelp constantly. The next day we bought him a Crate and for one week whenever he fell asleep we put him in his crate and let him sleep there.

Also in the crate we would put in a toy and a dirty shirt from the hamper for comfort.

By the end of the week he saw that as his 'safe place' and when we left the house we would put him in there and the yelping/crying was over. Now ten years later he still sees it as his safe place. If I'm off to work all I have to do is give a quick point to his crate and he'll run right in, he also voluntarily will take naps in there.

Canines sleep in dens, so crates mimic their natural environment even though humans see it as locking their dog in a dark confined space, it's what a dog naturally prefers.

So based off of past experience I would go with Crate training. Being able to take a week or two off of work to dedicate towards training him also is a bonus if possible. Not sure how throwing a non-Crate dog into the equation will work for you, but it's worth a shot.
    When I left my dog alone for the first time as a puppy he would cry and yelp constantly. The next day we bought him a Crate and for one week whenever he fell asleep we put him in his crate and let him sleep there.

Also in the crate we would put in a toy and a dirty shirt from the hamper for comfort.

By the end of the week he saw that as his 'safe place' and when we left the house we would put him in there and the yelping/crying was over. Now ten years later he still sees it as his safe place. If I'm off to work all I have to do is give a quick point to his crate and he'll run right in, he also voluntarily will take naps in there.

Canines sleep in dens, so crates mimic their natural environment even though humans see it as locking their dog in a dark confined space, it's what a dog naturally prefers.

So based off of past experience I would go with Crate training. Being able to take a week or two off of work to dedicate towards training him also is a bonus if possible. Not sure how throwing a non-Crate dog into the equation will work for you, but it's worth a shot.
    Unfortunately taking time off of work is not an option. Going to try the crate today as I want to exhaust all other options before resorting to the collar. Thanks for the tips everyone!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

You might also want to spend some time in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80212

Lots of dog people there with much good experience. Also, we love to see puppy pics! :mrgreen:
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    I agree with the crate recommendations.

You could also try a thundershirt. They are supposed to help dogs with anxiety. I know some people who have used them and have had good results. Not sure if they work with puppies.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

You could also try a thundershirt. They are supposed to help dogs with anxiety. I know some people who have used them and have had good results. Not sure if they work with puppies.

My dog has very serious separation anxiety, I don't crate him, but got the Thundershirt and it has actually worked wonders. No more nasty texts from the neighbors for me :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

My dog has very serious separation anxiety, I don't crate him, but got the Thundershirt and it has actually worked wonders. No more nasty texts from the neighbors for me :D
    What the hell is a Thundershirt? LOVE the avatar, Mamasan ;)
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

A thundershirt is a shirt/vest that you put on your dog. It fits tight and uses gentle, constant pressure to calm your dog. It is supposed to help prevent anxiety, stop barking, ete.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

http://www.thundershirt.com/

It sounds cheesy, but it works! It's like a little shirt that you put on your doggy, they're very tight and calm the dogs down. I think they're like $30 or something like that. Totally worth trying at least.

:fp: yeah, worst bet I ever made!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,197
    Move out of APT and into a house then the dog can howl all he want's :lol::lol: Good to see you around here Mookie :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Definately check out the doggie thread! But Who Princess
    has the correct method down! That is ultimately the best
    way to curb this behavior! I have involved with animal psychology
    for fifteen years, and have never strayed from this method!
    It works every time. And again as was mentioned earlier, the loose
    Dog will actually eventually be inspiration for your pup, as the
    little guy sees that the other dog remains quiet a d calm during
    your frequent departures. Dogs are inner-habitual creatures, meaning
    they share and impart behaviors into one another. And someone
    else mentioned the crate being a "comfort zone", this is
    Also correct, because dogs always sleep in dens naturally. My sis is
    going through this with her new pup, but he has recently started
    sleeping curled away from the entrance, the ultimate
    response! When a dog sleeps facing the entrance it is normal
    watchful behavior, but when they sleep with backs to it, it tells
    you they are completely confident in your leadership, and trust
    You to be watching for them good luck, and if you need anymore
    advice, feel free yo shoot me a PM
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    throttle neighbors. kick neighbors. burn there shit down. throw bowling balls at them. hurt your neighbors. i dislike folks who run to the phone all calling the law over a fucking dog. them kinda people have no spine, heart, testicles or vaginas.

do you own a samuari sword? viking axe? ninja stars?

fuck them...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    where does one find a shock collar?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I Foster animals from time to time.
    I buy Dog Snuggies for the stressed dogs I watch. They work very well. My clients have told me that ever since the snuggie, the dog howls until they put the snuggie on the dog. Now they have these thunderjackets. It's the same thing. I should have invented that! :lol: Worked on a shih tzu, wasn't a puppy, but they are small.

I have not heard of static shock collars. Static shocks seem pointless.
    My cats are so fuzzy, they static cling to the couch. They are always shocking themselves. They don't seem to mind. This crazy lady told me to wash my cat in fabric softener to stop the static. I'm not doing that.
    I would use the collar on myself first and see how it feels, if you end up on that road.
    chadwick wrote:
    throttle neighbors. kick neighbors. burn there shit down. throw bowling balls at them. hurt your neighbors. i dislike folks who run to the phone all calling the law over a fucking dog. them kinda people have no spine, heart, testicles or vaginas.

do you own a samuari sword? viking axe? ninja stars?

fuck them...
    Been so long since I've been on here I've confused it with Facebook. Was looking for the like button
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

Move out of APT and into a house then the dog can howl all he want's :lol::lol: Good to see you around here Mookie :)
    Jose! How are you my friend? Great to be back on here!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

update! Didn't use the collar. Did the crate training on Monday leaving for different intervals of time and all is good in the hood! One neighbor from the previous incident on Friday night did record the howling and put it on a CD to turn into the manager as well as threatening legal action (idiots have a lawyer friend..hopefully they can read the lease because these fucktards are too stupid to realize no action can be taken at this time). So far, so good! Pictures forthcoming for the poster who requested them
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Yay!!!
    mookie9999 wrote:
    update! Didn't use the collar. Did the crate training on Monday leaving for different intervals of time and all is good in the hood! One neighbor from the previous incident on Friday night did record the howling and put it on a CD to turn into the manager as well as threatening legal action (idiots have a lawyer friend..hopefully they can read the lease because these fucktards are too stupid to realize no action can be taken at this time). So far, so good! Pictures forthcoming for the poster who requested them
    After over a month of being quiet, and for no rhyme or reason he went back to howling. :( He had been out of the crate for 3 of those weeks so back to the crate will hopefully be the solution. According to our doorman, the folks downstairs went to management and are having their lawyer contact the building on Monday. Not that the dog should have carte blanche to howl, but in the most recent incident it was at 6pm at night. COming to us to discuss is apparently out of the question for these people. Hope the crate works! WIsh us luck!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

Update! Despite the crate working we've been given 7 days to either get rid of the dog or tell them we're lmoving. We've opted for the latter (once I''ve spoken to a tenant attorney). Not giving up the dog! Fucking apartment living
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    Update! Despite the crate working we've been given 7 days to either get rid of the dog or tell them we're lmoving. We've opted for the latter (once I''ve spoken to a tenant attorney). Not giving up the dog! Fucking apartment living

Definitely time to move, no one should have neighbors like that, and in those last 7 days, let the dog howl.

And don't forget to stomp around loudly while you move, drop some furniture, blast some music.
    mookie9999 wrote:

Definitely time to move, no one should have neighbors like that, and in those last 7 days, let the dog howl.

And don't forget to stomp around loudly while you move, drop some furniture, blast some music.

Not to be crass (but that's all I know) I kind of want to take a shit at the front door of the main offender downstairs that has been complaining since my gf moved in almost 3 years ago. Their first noise complaint against her? Drilling a hole in the wall to run a cable line from the living room into the bedroom....at 5 pm in the evening. ASSHOLES!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

So the neighbors were a problem even before the dog. I agree, time to move.
    And if you don't move too far away you should randomly drop off letters complaining about how much noise they're making, and threaten legal action if it continues.