Parents, who's had "The Talk" with their kids?

JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
My almost 11yr old son is in a health class and the teacher suggested that the kids have a talk with their parents. Who's done it and how, what did you say? So many things are running through my mind right now. I'm guessing there should be multiple talks, a basic one now and more in depth in a couple years?
Alright, alright, alright!
Tom O.
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
-The Writer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Good luck dude. I dont think I can even imagine having to do this. My folks never said a damned thing to me as a kid, but I figured out a few things along the way. I think. Maybe.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I only remember my dad going on for about a half an hour, had no idea what he was talking about, but it boiled down to respecting girls and being a gentleman.
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    Two sons been there done that....

When they were babies I sold Usborne books. Someone purchased a book for their daughter to help explain but she thought it was too detailed so I kept it.... It was the best decision I ever made!

I talked to my sons for a bit ( we all know they dont want to talk about this stuff Poor things ) gave them the book... Let them know I was there if they had questions and checked back a few times.
    Then eventually took the book away for the next kid.

I haven't sold those books for many many moons but looks like they improved the books. There is now a version for both boys and girls.

http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/catalo ... FL&id=2195
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I only remember my dad going on for about a half an hour, had no idea what he was talking about, but it boiled down to respecting girls and being a gentleman.

Didn't sink in did it?

:P :wave:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Didn't sink in did it?

:P :wave:

Turns out women only want you to be a gentleman up to a point, he left that part out.
    I was a virgin for a long time, Thanks Pop.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Just do what my parents did, hook up all the pay cable channels in your kids room at an early age, then they'll know it all by the time they need to. Thanks to "Dream On", "The Red Shoe Diaries" and Shannon Tweed I probably knew more about sex than my dad.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    never had a talk.

i'm sure that won't come as a suprise to anyone. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I didn't get a talk. At one point my mom asked if I had sex my 1st freshman year of college. That was about it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,199
    Yeah i had the talk with my son when he was 15 gave him a box of condoms we talked about everything Masturbation , chicks everything it wen't really well ...
    My wife has allready talked to my 16yr old daughter ....So far so good
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Ahh, there is this thing call the internet. I don't thing the talk exists anymore except in the Amish

:)
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    Just do what my parents did, hook up all the pay cable channels in your kids room at an early age, then they'll know it all by the time they need to. Thanks to "Dream On", "The Red Shoe Diaries" and Shannon Tweed I probably knew more about sex than my dad.

Never got a talk... "The Red Shoe Diaries" and the Showcase Drambue review taught me none of what I needed to know...

No wonder my highschool girlfriend took her virginity elsewhere.... :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • never got the talk too...

i think as good parent,you will do the best you can do..
    be honest,and talk from your experience..
    \i think you will do great..

and great thread!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

so you must be really good at simulated sex ;)
  • Is there an app for that?
    if not, its a million dollar idea. or at least a 14 dollar idea maybe.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    My dad gave me some tape to listen to. It was fucking stupid
  • Is there an app for that?
    if not, its a million dollar idea. or at least a 14 dollar idea maybe.
    no kid..we are talking about crazy sales
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh that's rich!

We had HBO and Cinemax...I guess my mom figured we didn't need 'the talk'
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Here you go, son. good luck

Fucker
    not only didn't i get a talk (thankfully) my folks wouldn't pay for hbo or skinamax so the closest i got was this

scrambled.jpg
  • Mamasan23 wrote:

Here you go, son. good luck

Fucker

:lol::lol:

I'm imagining Ben Steins voice on the tape too.
  • norm wrote:
    not only didn't i get a talk (thankfully) my folks wouldn't pay for hbo or skinamax so the closest i got was this

scrambled.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    norm wrote:

scrambled.jpg

don't laugh...we had sound and sometimes it would clear up just enough to make out shapes and stuff...let's just say it served it purpose :P :lol:
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

scrambled.jpg

don't laugh...we had sound and sometimes it would clear up just enough to make out shapes and stuff...let's just say it served it purpose :P :lol:

Oh god, yes. I also had this. Then my parents called the cable company and told them it was bothering them.

Fuckers
  • norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

scrambled.jpg

I'm only laughing because we had the same deal buddy.
    Looks like another support thread... Those of us who got sex ed from outdated media and/or the fuzzy channels.
  • norm wrote:

scrambled.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I'm only laughing because we had the same deal buddy.
    Looks like another support thread... Those of us who got sex ed from outdated media and/or the fuzzy channels.

but then there were the free preview weekends!! you just hoped and prayed for a Emanuele or something :lol::lol:
  • Oooh, oh my God...Oooooh, I think I see a nipple! its a nipple!
    oh wait, nope, just an armpit with funny shadows. damn.

::goes to adjust rabbit ears::
    Oooh, oh my God...Oooooh, I think I see a nipple! its a nipple!
    oh wait, nope, just an armpit with funny shadows. damn.

::goes to adjust rabbit ears::

pretty much :lol::lol:
  • Just do what my parents did, hook up all the pay cable channels in your kids room at an early age, then they'll know it all by the time they need to. Thanks to "Dream On", "The Red Shoe Diaries" and Shannon Tweed I probably knew more about sex than my dad.
    Don't forget about the "Emmanuel" adventures! I think that series eventually got up in the 30s.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    norm wrote:

so you must be really good at simulated sex ;)

It also led to a few strange moments where one minute we'd be completely naked, then a few seconds later one of us would have our underwear on again, as if by magic.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"