Options

Obama's new gun control laws...

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Well, I disagree. I think this kind of thing is part of his job. In Canada, our PM does what you think Obama ought to do, and everyone accuses him (accurately) of nondisclosure.

this is absolutely true. all we ever hear from Harper is the other parties complaining about what he's done/hasn't done, and the media reporting on it.

invisible leaders are not leaders at all.

First, Obama is a terrible leader. Making speeches and pontificating on what others are to blame for (or will be or should be) does not a leader make. (Which is what is included in EVERY one of his speeches. It's actually quite amazing that he finds a way to wag or point his finger in EVERY speech especially for the number he gives).

But - invisible? There's not a medium? It's either you speak every day or you're invisible? Okie dokie. Teleprompt away!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    Meanwhile...

"You know how to stop abortion? Require that each one occur with a gun."

-- Rush Limbaugh, GOP Leader

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

this is absolutely true. all we ever hear from Harper is the other parties complaining about what he's done/hasn't done, and the media reporting on it.

Exactly. And if Obama had not presented these proposals in person the right would have been howling that he doesn't even take the issue seriously and FOX would have mocked whatever he was doing yesterday afternoon. Some criticisms are hard to take seriously.

That's the point - who cares what FOX or MSNBC or NBC or the media says? He won the election. Now get to work. I pay your salary. Get the fuck to work. I don't want to hear you, Boehner, Reid, McConnell or anyone else say another fucking word until you pass something.

Debate on the floor. Not in the camera.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

I love how you characterize entertainers who happen to have a following.

I'd find a quote from the Democratic leader, but nobody watches Rachel Madcow.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Exactly. And if Obama had not presented these proposals in person the right would have been howling that he doesn't even take the issue seriously and FOX would have mocked whatever he was doing yesterday afternoon. Some criticisms are hard to take seriously.

That's the point - who cares what FOX or MSNBC or NBC or the media says? He won the election. Now get to work. I pay your salary. Get the fuck to work. I don't want to hear you, Boehner, Reid, McConnell or anyone else say another fucking word until you pass something.

Debate on the floor. Not in the camera.

The President doesn't debate, on the floor or anywhere else. That is not his function. Obama handled this as well as could be expected. Because he has been at work.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:

I love how you characterize entertainers who happen to have a following.

I'd find a quote from the Democratic leader, but nobody watches Rachel Madcow.

Exactly! Democrats do not get their marching orders and talking points from the media. Republicans have mother ships.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Well, I disagree. I think this kind of thing is part of his job. In Canada, our PM does what you think Obama ought to do, and everyone accuses him (accurately) of nondisclosure.

First, Obama is a terrible leader. Making speeches and pontificating on what others are to blame for (or will be or should be) does not a leader make. (Which is what is included in EVERY one of his speeches. It's actually quite amazing that he finds a way to wag or point his finger in EVERY speech especially for the number he gives).

But - invisible? There's not a medium? It's either you speak every day or you're invisible? Okie dokie. Teleprompt away!
    I just think that the number of speeches he does is perfectly appropriate, and so are the topics. I don't get what all the complaining is about if. If you don't like his speeches, I guess don't listen to them, right? I mean, if they're so useless, then you really don't need to torture yourself by hearing them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

of course there's middle ground, Mr. Literal. :roll:

and I wasn't aware that Obama spoke publicly every day. you know that all the "reporting" Fox news does on him isn't live footage, right?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Republicans have mother ships.

:lol: this might be my new signature
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

:lol:

It is true though... I mean, there is no democratic equivalent of Rush Limbaugh or one of those other kooks. I'm trying to think of someone who even comes close, but can't. Bill Maher and Jon Stewart crossed my mind briefly, but then I realized that comparison doesn't work at all (and not only because they are both comedians).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    of course there's middle ground, Mr. Literal.

and I wasn't aware that Obama spoke publicly every day. you know that all the "reporting" Fox news does on him isn't live footage, right?

Actually, I don't b/c I can't tell you the last time I watched Fox News. It might also surprise you that I don't listen to Rush. I'm pretty sure he's on in the mid-day here, so if I'm in my car, it's Mike Francesa or music.

But, keep trying to negate other folks' points by saying Fox news, Rush Limbagh, you're Republican. I find it funny you called me Mr. Literal then commented on my every day speech thing. :oops:
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Jason P wrote:
    No way in hell this thing passes congress. The 10 round limit will be the failure. He should have broken it up into separate proposals.

I could see background checks, mental checks and armor piercing bullet getting banned.

Maybe on the assault weapons.

But no way on the ten round limit. Hundreds of millions of current clips would be illegal.
    Usually existing <insert recently banned item here> get grandfathered in. That's what happened last time high-cap mags were banned. I think it's much more likely the high-cap mags get banned than the assault rifles, as defined.
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    JimmyV wrote:

It's offensive, but also hilarious. Frankly I think it's too funny to be original material, no offense JimmyV.
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

It's offensive, but also hilarious. Frankly I think it's too funny to be original material, no offense JimmyV.
    :lol:
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

No offense intended! Not really at least. A couplafew years back Limbaugh's show changed stations here in Boston. The marketing campaign to make sure people knew about the change was the most extensive I have ever seen. It was just billboards and print ads. They actually bought/rented a fleet of vans, painted an ad with the announcement on them, and then drove them around the city with speakers announcing he was changing stations. I kid you not, it really felt like a mother ship beaming out an announcement to her drones.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    No offense intended! Not really at least. A couplafew years back Limbaugh's show changed stations here in Boston. The marketing campaign to make sure people knew about the change was the most extensive I have ever seen. It was just billboards and print ads. They actually bought/rented a fleet of vans, painted an ad with the announcement on them, and then drove them around the city with speakers announcing he was changing stations. I kid you not, it really felt like a mother ship beaming out an announcement to her drones.

Interesting what free market and financial incentive will make folks do.

Did he suceed? I haven't heard, so if you could, please let me know if this free market campaign worked..
  • Options

Actually, I don't b/c I can't tell you the last time I watched Fox News. It might also surprise you that I don't listen to Rush. I'm pretty sure he's on in the mid-day here, so if I'm in my car, it's Mike Francesa or music.

But, keep trying to negate other folks' points by saying Fox news, Rush Limbagh, you're Republican. I find it funny you called me Mr. Literal then commented on my every day speech thing. :oops:

I didn't think anyone listened to Rush anymore except Rush.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

I didn't think anyone listened to Rush anymore except Rush.

I don't, but his ratings and bank account would probably argue otherwise.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Did he suceed? I haven't heard, so if you could, please let me know if this free market campaign worked..

Probably. I don't know what his ratings are offhand. I think his followers followed him. ;)

• Options
    Some people on MSNBC nearly puke over the NRA's ad:

http://www.upworthy.com/nra-ad-stuns-co ... cul?c=upw1
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Probably. I don't know what his ratings are offhand. I think his followers followed him. ;)

:lol: Followers tend to do that. :lol:
  • Options
    USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    itswinter he cant go golfing itshis big party weekend too gotta make like hesdoing something
    the kids a
    round him though for that speech that was their parentswords the kids i know dont want their gunsbanned they'd have a different letter to read outloud we cant have none ofthat though
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,852
    USARAY wrote:
    itswinter he cant go golfing itshis big party weekend too gotta make like hesdoing something
    the kids a
    round him though for that speech that was their parentswords the kids i know dont want their gunsbanned they'd have a different letter to read outloud we cant have none ofthat though
    apparently we cant have a space bar used consistantly either.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    Jason P wrote:
    No way in hell this thing passes congress. The 10 round limit will be the failure. He should have broken it up into separate proposals.

I could see background checks, mental checks and armor piercing bullet getting banned.

But no way on the ten round limit. Hundreds of millions of current clips would be illegal.

Let us start with Obama with the background checks......
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    aerial wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Birtherism alert! And yet we pretend nonsense like this was not beamed down from a media mother ship?
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    aerial wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

:lol: Pretty sure they've already done one on him! :fp:
    Seriously, you're not one of those birther nuts, are you??
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    aerial wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Not a birth-er..he wants to push it lets start with him.......just want the media to tell the sheeple the type of people he surrounded himself with.....lets see how he got the funds for his college education......lets have a back ground check on all congress .....GOP and lib's ......just saying :idea:
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    aerial wrote:

Not a birth-er..he wants to push it lets start with him.......just want the media to tell the sheeple the type of people he surrounded himself with.....lets see how he got the funds for his college education......lets have a back ground check on all congress .....GOP and lib's ......just saying :idea:
    You honestly think all of that shit hasn't already been looked at?? And that it has anything to do with this topic in the first place??