Options

Obama's new gun control laws...

Comments

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Obama haters will never be happy with anythin he does/doesn't do until hi's gone from the white house ...

Best President since Clinton. We will miss him when he is gone.

No we won't. My only hope is that 4 years of Carter lead to Reagan. 8 years of Obama should lead to god.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    JimmyV wrote:
    Obama haters will never be happy with anythin he does/doesn't do until hi's gone from the white house ...

Best President since Clinton. We will miss him when he is gone.

No we won't. My only hope is that 4 years of Carter lead to Reagan. 8 years of Obama should lead to god.

And your party will never nominate another Reagan. Not in the near future at least. Although the Ron Paul cultists may argue that nominating Rand would be akin to nominating the son of god.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    You can now download software that will print 3-D 30 round clips for assault rifles. So much for a ban.

Ahhh, technology .....

http://www.youtube.com/user/DXLiberty
  • Options
    legalize marijuana and ban assault rifles!

and go down in history as the smartest president ever!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    one of the most disturbing things that I read awhile back was the availability of guns through the internet and gun shows and their lack of background check. the new proposals from Obama require background checks for all gun buyers in an attempt to close the so-called "gun-show loophole" that allows people to buy guns at trade shows and over the Internet without submitting to background checks. It might reduce the number of weapons bought quickly and with ease..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    one of the most disturbing things that I read awhile back was the availability of guns through the internet and gun shows and their lack of background check. the new proposals from Obama require background checks for all gun buyers in an attempt to close the so-called "gun-show loophole" that allows people to buy guns at trade shows and over the Internet without submitting to background checks. It might reduce the number of weapons bought quickly and with ease..

Yup. What scares me is over the last few weeks, several news outlets both national and local have been reporting that the lines to purchase guns at gun shows are blocks long with several thousand people. In some cases, people are taking multiple dollies for the amount of weapons and ammo that they are purchasing. Scary!!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

And your party will never nominate another Reagan. Not in the near future at least. Although the Ron Paul cultists may argue that nominating Rand would be akin to nominating the son of god.

:lol::lol:

(As for your first point, that was my point. 8 years of this may change that - and for the record - it's not my party. I am a fiscal conservative, social moderate to liberal. I don't have a party, and the son of god doesn't rep me either. :lol: )
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,577
    I don't see why anyone who is worth listening to wouldn't support this.... I hope Congress acts responsibly here. Maybe they see it as something that will ensure the Rs a win next election (doubt it), and pass it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Thankfully the President is not King.

This won't go anywhere, nor should it.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

This won't go anywhere, nor should it.
    It probably will.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

On this we agree.

• Options
    whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    and while the whole country is talking about gun control, the powers that be are making a move to occupy Mali
  • Options
    whgarrett wrote:
    and while the whole country is talking about gun control, the powers that be are making a move to occupy Mali
    Wrong thread.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    whgarrett wrote:

I made a Mali thread, but nobody seems to give a shit.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    I'm gonna be in and be out on this.....

a) I don't think the founding fathers had AR-15s in mind when they crafted the second amendment

b) this is really about dudes who want to jerk off; automatic weapon in one hand; single shot in the other :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    imalive wrote:

a) I don't think the founding fathers had AR-15s in mind when they crafted the second amendment

b) this is really about dudes who want to jerk off; automatic weapon in one hand; single shot in the other :shock:
    :clap:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Yep. But, we didn't need a task force or yet another speech from the President Teleprompter to tell us that. He should have just gone to Congress and said - hey, this is what we need if, as someone stated he had so much balls and common sense.

and if he didn't come out and say it in a speech you'd call him a back room politician. come on, man, all politicians at that level are accountable to the public. it only makes sense to announce such occurences.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    The funny part of these "suggestions" is that our health care system is failing in part because of doctors not managing their patients' care appropriately and now Obama thinks they are going to help control guns? :lol:

Ok, Ms. Henderson, I have no idea if you've been taking your medications, and as a diabetic I should be checking your feet, but I won't (you know - those damn insurance companies!), but my buddy the surgeon is ready for you when gangrene sets in. Oh, BTW, do you have a gun?

:lol:
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

Ben Franklin's greatest invention was the bazooka. True story.

• Options
    Yep. But, we didn't need a task force or yet another speech from the President Teleprompter to tell us that. He should have just gone to Congress and said - hey, this is what we need if, as someone stated he had so much balls and common sense.

and if he didn't come out and say it in a speech you'd call him a back room politician. come on, man, all politicians at that level are accountable to the public. it only makes sense to announce such occurences.

No I wouldn't. I think politicians should only speak in announcing something they've done and in certain times of crisis. They should not use a bully pulpit to try to stir up support when we elect representative to - represent us (I know - how novel).

I only care about results. Not pre-programmed speeches that aren't entirely honest to begin with. And that goes for anyone.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think Obama's gun proposal was usurped by an invisible girlfriend.
  • Options
    The funny part of these "suggestions" is that our health care system is failing in part because of doctors not managing their patients' care appropriately and now Obama thinks they are going to help control guns? :lol:

Ok, Ms. Henderson, I have no idea if you've been taking your medications, and as a diabetic I should be checking your feet, but I won't (you know - those damn insurance companies!), but my buddy the surgeon is ready for you when gangrene sets in. Oh, BTW, do you have a gun?

I do not understand why or how you're making a connection here. The two things are completely unrelated.
  • Options

No I wouldn't. I think politicians should only speak in announcing something they've done and in certain times of crisis. They should not use a bully pulpit to try to stir up support when we elect representative to - represent us (I know - how novel).

I only care about results. Not pre-programmed speeches that aren't entirely honest to begin with. And that goes for anyone.
    The entire continent is talking about it though. It's not like he drummed up all this attention on gun control himself. He is responding to what a huge portion of the public he serves is calling for. What is wrong with him him addressing it publicly?? The public wants to know (beside you, apparently). I don't understand where you are coming from at all.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The entire continent is talking about it though. It's not like he drummed up all this attention on gun control himself. He is responding to what a huge portion of the public he serves is calling for.

Don't get me wrong. He had to respond. That's fine. All he had to do was put out a press release saying he's sent the task force's suggestions (why he needed a task force is beyond me, but whatever) to Congress and its up to them to act. I didn't need his 18th teleprompter in a week.

Again, and it's not just him. It's all of them. They are more interested in getting press than actually DOING anything. They debate in the media instead of with each other. That is why he is failing. If he spent more time talking to his peers and less time talking to us via telepromptered propaganda, maybe he'd get something done.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I do not understand why or how you're making a connection here. The two things are completely unrelated.

You don't? In his speech that you apparently loved and thought was so necessary he spent time acting as a judge and clarifying that there are no laws that stop doctors from asking patients about guns. He also preceded that by suggesting doctors, psychatrists, etc. turn dangerous folks in. Based on your support of his speechifying, I figured you would have caught that.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I think Obama's gun proposal was usurped by an invisible girlfriend.

This.

But, I fully expect a speech in the coming days regarding the death of imaginary girlfriends. He'll then propose a law in which part of Obamacare will be repealed, but bury it so deep nobody will notice he's been neutering and repealing his own law slowly but surely.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

You don't? In his speech that you apparently loved and thought was so necessary he spent time acting as a judge and clarifying that there are no laws that stop doctors from asking patients about guns. He also preceded that by suggesting doctors, psychatrists, etc. turn dangerous folks in. Based on your support of his speechifying, I figured you would have caught that.
    Oh, I see. He made reference to trained professionals doing their part in determining mental illness and trying to find out if they are a danger because of access to firearms. Seems totally reasonable to me (now I don't understand how you think him saying that is like acting like a judge). I haven't even actually heard the speech, but only read the major points (including the part about mental illness), which is why I didn't understand what you were talking about. I just take issue with the very idea that he shouldn't be making a speech to the public about it. Not sure why you're saying the rest... I never made any comment on the content of the speech or my feelings about it. Only that I think it's proper that he made one.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The entire continent is talking about it though. It's not like he drummed up all this attention on gun control himself. He is responding to what a huge portion of the public he serves is calling for.

Don't get me wrong. He had to respond. That's fine. All he had to do was put out a press release saying he's sent the task force's suggestions (why he needed a task force is beyond me, but whatever) to Congress and its up to them to act. I didn't need his 18th teleprompter in a week.

Again, and it's not just him. It's all of them. They are more interested in getting press than actually DOING anything. They debate in the media instead of with each other. That is why he is failing. If he spent more time talking to his peers and less time talking to us via telepromptered propaganda, maybe he'd get something done.
    Well, I disagree. I think this kind of thing is part of his job. In Canada, our PM does what you think Obama ought to do, and everyone accuses him (accurately) of nondisclosure.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Well, I disagree. I think this kind of thing is part of his job. In Canada, our PM does what you think Obama ought to do, and everyone accuses him (accurately) of nondisclosure.

this is absolutely true. all we ever hear from Harper is the other parties complaining about what he's done/hasn't done, and the media reporting on it.

invisible leaders are not leaders at all.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

this is absolutely true. all we ever hear from Harper is the other parties complaining about what he's done/hasn't done, and the media reporting on it.

invisible leaders are not leaders at all.

Exactly. And if Obama had not presented these proposals in person the right would have been howling that he doesn't even take the issue seriously and FOX would have mocked whatever he was doing yesterday afternoon. Some criticisms are hard to take seriously.