Options

Tom Waits News

124»

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Oooh I am an infant in the words of waits. You sunk my battleship.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    The cracked bell rings and the ghost bird sings
    And the gods go begging here
    So just open fire when you hit the shore
    All is fair in love and war
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Stinks like heck, neighbors.complain, don't give a hoot what they sayyyyy

Got to slap that hog,
    Roll em over twice,
    Bast em with a sweepin broom.

• Options
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Tom Waits - 20th Anniversary Re-Issue Vinyl
    Tom Waits will be releasing limited edition vinyl of his albums “Alice” and “Blood Money” to celebrate their 20th anniversary. Originally released on May 7, 2002, the re-issues will be available on October 7.

PRE-ORDER NOW

Leading up to the official release date, Waits is putting out previously unreleased live versions of songs from the records, starting with "All The World Is Green" from ‘Blood Money’ and "Fish And Bird" from ‘Alice.’ “All the World is Green” was recorded at a live show in 2008 in Milan, Italy and features a dramatic faux flamenco guitar intro, while “Fish and Bird” is taken from Waits’ celebrated return to the London stage in 2004 and is a stripped down raw piano version of the ballad that featured a chamber orchestra arrangement in the studio recording.
    Post edited by Pap on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Pap said:
    Tom Waits will be releasing limited edition vinyl of his albums “Alice” and “Blood Money” to celebrate their 20th anniversary. Originally released on May 7, 2002, the re-issues will be available on October 7.

PRE-ORDER NOW

Leading up to the official release date, Waits is putting out previously unreleased live versions of songs from the records, starting with "All The World Is Green" from ‘Blood Money’ and "Fish And Bird" from ‘Alice.’ “All the World is Green” was recorded at a live show in 2008 in Milan, Italy and features a dramatic faux flamenco guitar intro, while “Fish and Bird” is taken from Waits’ celebrated return to the London stage in 2004 and is a stripped down raw piano version of the ballad that featured a chamber orchestra arrangement in the studio recording.

I tried and he and Nick Cave are tough listens for me.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Big Time is streaming on Amazon Prime and Paramount+ in the US.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I already own the OP...My heart skipped when I saw news on this thread...I don't need colored versions of records I already have..I need a new album or tour, or even a new live album...oh well
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Pap said:

PRE-ORDER NOW

I tried and he and Nick Cave are tough listens for me.
    Don't worry. That means you have good taste in music. PS I love Tom waits but I'm a darn mess.
  • Options
    Heard blood money thanks to dankind's rak.  Never heard Alice. Will be a nice fall treat for me.

Roadkill has it's seasons just like anything. Possums in the autumn, farm-cats in the spring
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I already own the OP...My heart skipped when I saw news on this thread...I don't need colored versions of records I already have..I need a new album or tour, or even a new live album...oh well
    Alice is a top 10 desert island record for me. And it may be my favorite Tom Waits record. The gut punch of the stroh violin on some of those songs.... Dear lord....

And Blood Money just barely misses the cut (bass clarinet!), but that's only because I'm foolishly limiting Tom Waits to only half of that collection when I should just make it all Tom. Everything else will eventually grow obsolete to my ears. I don't think that's possible with Tom Waits.  

I have both of these on vinyl already as well, but I might buy one of each in a color I like just in case something happens to my OGs; they are on a bottom shelf after all. 

The best most recent Waits-esque album for me has gotta be Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    Alice is a top 10 desert island record for me. And it may be my favorite Tom Waits record. The gut punch of the stroh violin on some of those songs.... Dear lord....

And Blood Money just barely misses the cut (bass clarinet!), but that's only because I'm foolishly limiting Tom Waits to only half of that collection when I should just make it all Tom. Everything else will eventually grow obsolete to my ears. I don't think that's possible with Tom Waits.  

I have both of these on vinyl already as well, but I might buy one of each in a color I like just in case something happens to my OGs; they are on a bottom shelf after all. 

The best most recent Waits-esque album for me has gotta be Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    I will have to finally give that a shot then.  These are great albums, but I just don't need colored vinyl versions.  I agree with you on the endless nature of the greatness of Tom's music.  Long after I have stopped enjoying PJ I will still be listening to Tom Waits.  I'm going to spin these when I get home from work tonight.  At least until my wife gets annoyed.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:

I will have to finally give that a shot then.  These are great albums, but I just don't need colored vinyl versions.  I agree with you on the endless nature of the greatness of Tom's music.  Long after I have stopped enjoying PJ I will still be listening to Tom Waits.  I'm going to spin these when I get home from work tonight.  At least until my wife gets annoyed.
    Hilarious. I can only listen to him with one of my friends or alone. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Loujoe said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:

Hilarious. I can only listen to him with one of my friends or alone. 
    I watched Big Time for the umpteenth time in the wee hours last night. I was so thrilled to find it on streaming services.

I'd just like to see him live one more time before one of us dies.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    dankind said:
    static111 said:

Fetch the Bolt Cutters is a Fiona Apple album?  That is another one I gave a listen to and didn't get the hype nor enjoyed it.  I loved previous Fiona albums too.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    dankind said:
    static111 said:

Agreed about Alice and the strings. The instrumental Fawn still gives me goosebumps after too many listens to count.

Favourite albums are so difficult with Tom Waits. I think the ones I come back to most are Alice and Small Change.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    dankind said:
    static111 said:

Fetch the Bolt Cutters is a Fiona Apple album?  That is another one I gave a listen to and didn't get the hype nor enjoyed it.  I loved previous Fiona albums too.
    Oh man. For me, you could hear her reaching for it on The Idler Wheel ... (and to a lesser extent on Extraordinary Machine), but she finally grabs that fucker and rides it out for a sublime baker's dozen of tracks on Fetch the Bolt Cutters.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    ^^^Dude. Keeping me company bythefirepit. Thx. Got blood money coming my way soon. Had cd from dankind and lent it to my brother for about 8 years now.

• Options
  • Options

March 6th, 2023, marked fifty years since Tom Waits released his landmark debut album ‘Closing Time’.  Called “a minor key masterpiece filled with songs of late-night loneliness” by All Music Guide, ‘Closing Time’ features the distinctly lyrical storytelling and blending of jazz, blues and folk styles that would come to be associated first with Waits. In honor of this occasion Anti will be collecting and sharing untold stories, rare photos and more. 

The album’s 50th anniversary vinyl will be available in black and clear versions as a double 180g LP cut at 45 RPM with half speed mastering by London’s Abbey Road Studios. The gatefold jacket was also specially created with thicker board and black poly-lined inner sleeves. Coming out on June 2, available now for pre-order.

US store

UK Store
  • Options
  • Options