2»

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i don't get the flu.

flu get's me.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DURP wrote:
    Got a flu shot then about two or three weeks later got the flu. My symptoms were not as bad but it sucked. Dr at the VA said the reason my symptoms were not as bad was because I got the flu shot.

i'd tell you that too :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    734977_10151435464321320_551117469_n.jpg

:lol:

that pic is waaaay bigger than an actual vial

tho the way alot of paranoid ppl seem to think the flu vaccine is part of a goverment conspiracy to control or poison them... one would think a vial held a gallon of vaccine that was administered via missile launcher
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Never get the shot. Had the flu 1x a few years ago. It sucked. I work in health care so since I decline the vaccine it is policy that I wear a mask when near patients even though I have no symptoms and they don't either. I get that once you have the flu you are asymptomatic for some time and contagious for that period. The policy is an inconvenience but not that bad, really. I don't take the shot cuz I tend to feel that the body when strong and supported naturally through good foods, exercise and habits will fight off most germs. It would never be natural to get the flu every year. Usually once you have it, you will not get it again for at least a few years. I just don't think it is wise to artificially stimulate the immune system year after year (as you do with the yearly vaccine). I think the flu shot is good for those with other respiratory illness (like chronic illness) or other immune suppressed people. These are the folks most at risk for serious complications. As for conspiracy... I don't think anyone can argue that there's not serious money to be made by somebody in yearly vaccination of the masses.

Jen
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    Never get the shot. Had the flu 1x a few years ago. It sucked. I work in health care so since I decline the vaccine it is policy that I wear a mask when near patients even though I have no symptoms and they don't either. I get that once you have the flu you are asymptomatic for some time and contagious for that period. The policy is an inconvenience but not that bad, really. I don't take the shot cuz I tend to feel that the body when strong and supported naturally through good foods, exercise and habits will fight off most germs. It would never be natural to get the flu every year. Usually once you have it, you will not get it again for at least a few years. I just don't think it is wise to artificially stimulate the immune system year after year (as you do with the yearly vaccine). I think the flu shot is good for those with other respiratory illness (like chronic illness) or other immune suppressed people. These are the folks most at risk for serious complications. As for conspiracy... I don't think anyone can argue that there's not serious money to be made by somebody in yearly vaccination of the masses.

Jen

if flu shots are a conspricy you also have to consider how much $$$ the pharmacy industry makes off of scaring people away from the getting a flu shot. it's well advertised '"If you contract the flu go to your dr and get a prescription for Tamiflu." they don't mention the cost for a course of tamiflu is appox $120.00. and studies have shown it only shortens the symptoms by 21 hours...so someone might be hacking up a lung for only 6 days instead of 7

yes money made by ppl getting a $20. flu vaccine. altho consider how much is made from the masses that get the flu being convinced that tamiflu at $120. will make it disappear...of course that's in addition to the cost/co-pay for the dr.s office visit(not to mention the $ made off of those they infect in the process)

does it make more sense to get sick & feel like hell, take time off work , lose wages & pay for expensive treatments and perhaps spread the flu virus to others that may develop serious complications or even die? or get vaccinated and avoid all that?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    I guess I didn't mean to imply that I personally buy into the flu shot conspiracy theory, just that there is clearly financial gain to be had. I agree with you that this is true for tamiflu as well. However it won't be made on me because I won't take tamiflu either. I just feel that for young, otherwise healthy people the body's own defense is best. As you eluded to, tamiflu is only effective if taken at the very onset of symptoms and then only shortens the symptoms by a couple of days at best. Maybe even tamiflu would be appropriate for others (older, chronically ill, immune compromised) but that's for them to decide. As for time off work and exposing others as a negative consequence of my decision to not take the vaccine.... I am responsible with my unvaccinated self. I follow my workplace mask policy as previously described and stay home when sick. I realize that I have luxuries that others may not have such as plenty of paid sick leave, flexible job schedule and lots of support from family. All of this has to be considered when making these decisions. I am thankful that I have the freedom to make these decisions for my own health.

Peace
    Jen
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    I follow my workplace mask policy as previously described and stay home when sick.

Peace
    Jen

what is your mask policy and how often do you wear one at your desk?
    www.myspace.com
    I follow my workplace mask policy as previously described and stay home when sick.

Peace
    Jen

I work in healthcare in direct patient care. Since I decline the vaccine I am required to wear a mask whenever I am within 6 feet of a patient.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/18/21 Asbury Park

Peace
    Jen

I work in healthcare in direct patient care. Since I decline the vaccine I am required to wear a mask whenever I am within 6 feet of a patient.

ahhh. see that makes a lot more sense than my original assumption of you sitting at a cubicle all day. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I can't get flu shot, I'm allergic to eggs

Oh, crap. Is that true? No wonder I feel like crap after getting the flu vaccine. I wonder if that's true for every vaccine?

I don't have a serious allergy to eggs, but it's enough to make me feel crappy.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    prism wrote:

Jen

if flu shots are a conspricy you also have to consider how much $$$ the pharmacy industry makes off of scaring people away from the getting a flu shot. it's well advertised '"If you contract the flu go to your dr and get a prescription for Tamiflu." they don't mention the cost for a course of tamiflu is appox $120.00. and studies have shown it only shortens the symptoms by 21 hours...so someone might be hacking up a lung for only 6 days instead of 7

yes money made by ppl getting a $20. flu vaccine. altho consider how much is made from the masses that get the flu being convinced that tamiflu at $120. will make it disappear...of course that's in addition to the cost/co-pay for the dr.s office visit(not to mention the $ made off of those they infect in the process)

does it make more sense to get sick & feel like hell, take time off work , lose wages & pay for expensive treatments and perhaps spread the flu virus to others that may develop serious complications or even die? or get vaccinated and avoid all that?

get it, enjoy it.

i'm passing.

don't think i've had the flu since grade school
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Here's my thought. The drug companies had an over abundance of almost expiring flu vaccines. They got together with the media and created the flu epidemic of 2013.

They how did they convince my family doctor to give me the flu shot? Is every doctor in North America in on the conspiracy?
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,759
    Got a shot and still got sick. 48 hours of misery.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    edited January 2013
    Haven't had the flu, didn't get the shot (never do), and don't really dig OJ too much.

It's not that I think the flu shot is a govt. conspiracy, i just don't think i need to put all this shit in my
    body.

Doc's are now coming out and saying antibiotics and over use of them is what has made them less effective.
    So how is the flu shot any different?

I'll rethink the flu shot when i get old enough for the common cold to really cause me some problems.
    Right now, i'll just let nature run its course and fight it off myself.
    Post edited by the wolf on
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    I guess I didn't mean to imply that I personally buy into the flu shot conspiracy theory, just that there is clearly financial gain to be had. I agree with you that this is true for tamiflu as well. However it won't be made on me because I won't take tamiflu either. I just feel that for young, otherwise healthy people the body's own defense is best. As you eluded to, tamiflu is only effective if taken at the very onset of symptoms and then only shortens the symptoms by a couple of days at best. Maybe even tamiflu would be appropriate for others (older, chronically ill, immune compromised) but that's for them to decide. As for time off work and exposing others as a negative consequence of my decision to not take the vaccine.... I am responsible with my unvaccinated self. I follow my workplace mask policy as previously described and stay home when sick. I realize that I have luxuries that others may not have such as plenty of paid sick leave, flexible job schedule and lots of support from family. All of this has to be considered when making these decisions. I am thankful that I have the freedom to make these decisions for my own health.

Peace
    Jen

i didn't mean it to sound like if you personally were to contract it that you would be irresponsible and continue going work & your 'normal' routine. i understand that you take precautions to prevent it and if you were to get it you'd everything neccesary to prevent spreading it around.

it was meant as; far too many ppl continue going about their normal work & daily routines aware they have the flu and that they're likely spreading it around, but just don't care if they make others sick. altho some ppl can't afford to take a week (give or take) off work...still it's up to them to take that into consideration when deciding wheter or they'll get a flu shot
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    I hope this is just a cold, but I feel like balls.

Fuck the flu