Options

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - A Personal Quest

13»

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Ok, so, of the 1001 albums, I own 85 of them & I know(as in seriously know, as in someone I've lived with at some point in my life has owned them & played them a lot!!) 60 more of them. Really interesting. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Ok, so, of the 1001 albums, I own 85 of them & I know(as in seriously know, as in someone I've lived with at some point in my life has owned them & played them a lot!!) 60 more of them. Really interesting. :)
    :geek: :lol:

I'm trying not to go through the list and surprise myself occasionally but so far, I am averaging a little higher than this but not much... This is really fun!!

Is there a concentration of ownership?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    morello wrote:
    :geek: :lol:

I'm trying not to go through the list and surprise myself occasionally but so far, I am averaging a little higher than this but not much... This is really fun!!

Is there a concentration of ownership?
    Hmmmm, I'll have to check that but probably in the 800s'ish I think. I'll get back to you on that tonight. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Management assist ;)

89/1001 - Justice/Cross - They must be Daft Punk's nemesis. TTHHEE PPAARRTTYY is cool.
    90/1001 - Red Hot Chili Peppers/Californication - No Words Necessary
    91/1001 - Steely Dan/Can’t Buy a Thrill - I can't even tell you how awesome that was....
    92/1001 - Pink Floyd/Wish You Were Here I can't even tell you how awesome that was....
    93/1001 - Ananda Shankar/Ananda Shankar - Psychedelic Sitar!! You can skip the awful but hilarious covers of Jumpin Jack Flash and Light My Fire (You know you will know listen, think Shatner) but get to Metamorphosis and then to the end and it gets real good.
    94/1001 - George Jones/The Grand Tour So I'll sum it up like this- George is wronged and grieves and gets angry and then to really cheer him up courts unavailable ladies with rings on.. After pouring out basically his whole life, he laments he has no private life... Well done George, better than sitting on the couch..
    95/1001 - Willie Nelson/Stardust - Loves me some Willie but they could have left off a cover album of timeless classics..
    96/1001 - Dead Kennedys/Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables Everything old is new again... Welcome Back President Brown. One of my all time favorites.
    97/1001 - The Bee Gees/Trafalgar - Early Bee Gees is quite enjoyable... Never heard them this far back.. Worth a listen
    98/1001 - Billy Bragg/Talking With the Taxman About Poetry - Beautiful and Brilliant... Time for some googling about the politics in the songs.
    99/1001 - Eagles/Hotel California - You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave...
    100/1001 - PJ Harvey/Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea Triple Digits!!!! - Great album! Had not listened in years but is the perfect soundtrack to living in NYC ...

BD will name after each 100, his top 3 (in no particular order) favorite albums he had NOT listened to previously..

First 100 top three are
    Janelle Monáe/The ArchAndroid
    Fairport Convention/Liege & Lief
    Frank Zappa/Hot Rats

101/1001 - Isaac Hayes/Shaft - Shut Your Mouth!! Highlight 19 minute funkadelic jam called Do Your Thing... Waiting for Richard Roundtree to roundhouse me..
    102/1001 - Ash/1977 I wish I was this productive when I was their age... Dinosaur Jr/Green Day/Weezer feeling...
    103/1001 - Dusty Springfield/Dusty in Memphis - albums like this make the quest worth it, Stunning... One if the best yet
    104/1001 - Bruce Springsteen/The Rising - so hard to listen to, but the first MSG show afterwards showed me how cathartic music can be. Everyone sang along on waiting on a sunny day
    105/1001 - Miles Davis/Bitches Brew - Much thanks to my brother for introducing me to Jazz... Through him I got in Miles 50's and Early 60's amazing work... The Bootleg v.1 got me a little later into the 60's but I never delved farther... I just had my mind blown... It was one of the greatest 90 minutes of music ever... And I don't even know what I just heard...
    106/1001 - Meat Puppets/Meat Puppets II - A foot stomping good time... The Whistling Song is tops
    107/1001 - Ladysmith Black Mambazo/Shaka Zulu - I should have joined an acapella act... I love the bass..
    108/1001 - Dagmar Krause/Tank Battles: The Songs of Hanns Eisler - Felt like I was at a cabaret during the Weimar Republic... An interesting change of pace... Part English, part German, you can here the casualty of war..
    109/1001 - T. Rex/Electric Warrior - heard Bang A Gong a gazillion times but was not into Glam Rock as a kid (louder was better) - Missed out on this really fun album and talented songwriter... I am really digging this.
    110/1001 - Booker T. & The M.G.’s/Green Onions - The Rosetta Stone of Rock And Roll
    111/1001 - The Rolling Stones/Exile On Main Street - Do I need to say anything? Ok I will tell you my favorite tune from this brilliant one, Sweet Virginia, what's yours?
    112/1001 - Belle and Sebastian/If You're Feeling Sinister - First time for listening to another selection from a band I did not hear before the quest.. Their second album and it's a wonder... Perfect music to listen to on a Sunday (or Holiday Monday) Morning... The last song Judy and the Dream of Horses was amazing...
    113/1001 - Buena Vista Social Club/Buena Vista Social Club -Buena Vista Social Club/Buena Vista Social Club - First time hearing it with my palm trees swaying to the music... Wonderful introduction into these very talented folks... Thanks Ry
    114/1001 - Kraftwerk/The Man Machine - Now is the time on Sprockets where we dance.. The Rosetta Stone of Electronica.
    115/1001 - The Beatles/Abbey Road - The last Beatles album the first of my quest... The last 1/3 is sheer genius... I mean the first 2/3 but we already knew that lol
    116/1001 - Ravi Shankar/The Sounds of India - Unreal Talent and a treat to follow The Beatles
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    When looking for an executive producer, please look no further than Chime :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    117/1001 - HughMasekela/Home Is Where The Music Is - Bebop with an African tilt... Last song is terrific

118/1001 - Shuggie Otis/Inspiration Information - Woooooow... Kind of like our friends Cluthe/Lee a DIY album with some tremendously delicious tunes... Like a Combo of Sly Stone, Thom Yorke and Willie Wonka.

119/1001 - Rage Against The Machine/Rage Against The Machine - One of the most amazing debut albums and besides PJ my favorfite 1990's acts.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    nice job brother.. :)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I gotta remember to update :fp:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    *coughs*

only twenty or so behind :shock:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    chime wrote:
    *coughs*

only twenty or so behind :shock:
    :shock:
    :fp:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    This is cool, dude. Makes me realize there are a lot of great albums I haven't listened to through completely yet, but should. I'm only at 51! Looks like I have some listening to do ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:
    This is cool, dude. Makes me realize there are a lot of great albums I haven't listened to through completely yet, but should. I'm only at 51! Looks like I have some listening to do ...
    Oh sweet!! Hope your enjoying!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    120/1001 - Dee-Lite/World Clique
    121/1001- Blood, Sweat and Tears/Blood, Sweat and Tears
    122/1001 - Johnny Cash/American Recording IV
    123/1001 - The Beatles/Rubber Soul
    124/1001 - Syd Barrett/The Madcap Laughs
    125/1001 - Robert Wyatt/Rock Bottom
    126/1001 - The Germs/(GI)
    127/1001 - Joni Mitchell/Court and Spark - Amazing
    128/1001 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
    129/1001 - The Beach Boys/Surf's Up
    130/1001 - Solomon Burke/Rock N' Soul
    131/1001 - Dinosaur Jr/Bugs
    132/1001 - Goldfrap/Felt Mountain - Great
    133/1001 - REM/Murmur
    134/1001 - Jean Michel Jarre/Oxygene
    135/1001 - Bruce Springsteen/Borm To Run - Perfect
    136/1001 - Milles Davis/Birth of the Cool
    137/1001 - Nick Drake/Bryter Layter - Thanks to Chime for introducing me to this before... Unreal and you all should check this one out
    138/1001 - Iggy/Pop/The Idiot
    139/1001 - Love/Da Capo
    140/1001 - Pink Floyd/The Dark Sideof the Moon - Changed my life (39 years ago)
    141/1001 - The Stooges/Fun House - LOVED IT!!
    142/1001 - Go-Go's/Beauty and the Beat - New Wave Goodness

Phew...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    The RATM ---> Dee-Lite transition was my favourite 8-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    The RATM ---> Dee-Lite transition was my favourite 8-)
    Me too :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    143/1001 - Metallica/Master of Puppets - Awesome after the go-go's
    144/1001 - Fishbone/Truth and Soul
    145/1001 - Aeropsmith/Rocks - #Fact
    146/1001 - The Who/Live at Leeds - One of best planned live albums of all time.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    peacocoapeacocoa Posts: 46
    I've done something like this in the past. On songs that were unbearable to listen to I made myself listen to at least half the song. Is that cheating?
  • Options
    peacocoa wrote:
    I've done something like this in the past. On songs that were unbearable to listen to I made myself listen to at least half the song. Is that cheating?
    I am starting to think no :lol:
    But still going 100%!

147/1001 - Stereo MC's/Connected (good walking music)
    148/1001 - Simpley Red/Story Book :fp:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    so awesome!
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Of the three Kate Bush albums....."Hounds of Love" is head and shoulders above the others.
    Of the Yes albums....."Close to the Edge" is the winner
    Of the King Crimson albums...."Lark's Tongue...." is the better one....however the omission of "Red" is criminal.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    148/1001 - Simpley Red/Story Book :fp:
    i saw that.. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Of the three Kate Bush albums....."Hounds of Love" is head and shoulders above the others.
    Of the Yes albums....."Close to the Edge" is the winner
    Of the King Crimson albums...."Lark's Tongue...." is the better one....however the omission of "Red" is criminal.
    I didn't make the list but yeah, red is amazing...

149/1001 - REM/Green - Glorious
    150/1001 - Heaven 17/Penthouse and Pavement
    151/1001 - The Flamin Groovies/Teenage Head - Check this one out..
    152/1001 - The Pentangle/Basket of Light - Guitar work amazing
    153/1001 - The Smiths/Strangeways, Here We Come
    154/1001 - Suicide/Suicide - Ahead of its time
    155/1001 - The Velvet Underground/The Velvet Undergound - The best of the 3 on this list
    156/1001 - Curtis Mayfield/Superfly - > Shaft
    GoiMTvP.gif