Sports you dont get why people playing

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Cricket...i dont get it
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Soccer. Couldn't be a worse sport.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Curling. Fuck those fuckers
  • LloydXmas wrote:
    i just google that...i saw it once at eurosport...
    what the hell they trying to do?
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    LloydXmas wrote:
    i just google that...i saw it once at eurosport...
    what the hell they trying to do?
    To get their team's stone closest to the blue dot. I enjoy it, and am trying to convince some friends to take lessons with me.

For me, it's probably basketball. I was a big fan when I was younger but nowadays I can't even try to watch it.
  • To get their team's stone closest to the blue dot. I enjoy it, and am trying to convince some friends to take lessons with me.
    i dont know how is to play it..maybe has strategy,thats intresting,but watching it seems boring
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    i dont know how is to play it..maybe has strategy,thats intresting,but watching it seems boring
    I guess it doesn't bore me because of my Canadian blood. I can easily understand why it looks boring though.
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Isn't curling sort of like horse shoes on ice?

I cannot stand Basketball anymore, it does not impress me that a guy that can almost touch the rim standing there can dunk.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Any of those lumberjack games. "Hey, let's take back-breaking labor and call it a sport." Though I do have respect for guys that compete in games where you could accidentally cut off a couple of your own toes with an axe.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • car racing; if you can call that a sport
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    DS1119 wrote:
    Soccer. Couldn't be a worse sport.

I agree. At least for me. I know its the "thing" all over the rest of the world, I just can't get into it.

I tried, it's just not going to happen.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolf wrote:
    [
    is the first sport all people on the planet start to play,except Americans..
    is normal not be easy to get it..
  • LloydXmas wrote:

those on tv take it too seriously. most of us like to go to the rink, get fucking drunks and throw rocks down the ice. it's awesome.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    the wolf wrote:
    [

It's the first sport most of us play here in the U.S., at least it was when I was growing up. That might be part of the problem, if you want to play sports, the first thing they make (or made) you do was play the least popular sport around. Probably reinforcing our dislike of the game, and giving it a reputation as a "kids game". Not that it is.

I've never been able to get into it either. Seems like it takes FOREVER for a team to get anything going and get the ball deep, then some asshole just boots it the length of the field the other direction, and any excitement I may have been feeling goes away. They need a rule like Icing in hockey or something.
    the wolf wrote:
    [

You're actually incorrect. Soccer is one of the biggest if not the biggest youth sports in the US because its cheap and keeps children active. Once that child matures however they gravitate towards the much better and popular North American sports.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:
    [

You're actually incorrect. Soccer is one of the biggest if not the biggest youth sports in the US because its cheap and keeps children active. Once that child matures however they gravitate towards the much better and popular North American sports.

that's what he means. at the professional level, it tanks in North America. It's so odd. It's one of the most popular sports to play as a kid, but then you grow up and there's no options to go pro.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014

• that's what he means. at the professional level, it tanks in North America. It's so odd. It's one of the most popular sports to play as a kid, but then you grow up and there's no options to go pro.
    yeah..a stronge championship play it role..
    if there was a similar like nfl,nba,then will be different..
    in Europe,there is soccer and the rest
    that's what he means. at the professional level, it tanks in North America. It's so odd. It's one of the most popular sports to play as a kid, but then you grow up and there's no options to go pro.

Can't speak for him but the way I read it is he says soccer "we don't get" because as kids we don't play it. If I'm wrong in intrepreting him fine. We do play it as kids because, like i said its cheap, There's just better alternatives for sports here than most of the rest of the world for maturing kids to play and especially us as spectators to watch.
    It's so odd. It's one of the most popular sports to play as a kid, but then you grow up and there's no options to go pro.

There are options to go pro. There's MLS, or if you're good enough, Europe. Two people I went to high school went pro, one in the MLS (I don't think he lasted long, though I did see him on SportsCenter once pulling the captain away from an argument with the ref) the other in Spain and is currently working some front office job for a team in Brazil.

I don't think it's really "popular" for kids, I think it's just what we do. I don't ever recall enjoying it. Every game I remember wishing I could be playing Football. As DS1119 said, I think all our parents stick us into it because it's cheap, easy, and on that level has little risk of injury. You don't really need any equipment other than two legs and a ball, though obviously you'll want to get some uniforms, cleats and the like for games. But compared to other sports, it's the easiest/cheapest. It's like an entry sport, then if the child continues to show interest in athletics they'll put you in more involved sports.

Again false. There are professional leagues in North America. The reason they aren't big like the nfl, nba, NHL, MLB is a simple reason. It's not a good sport to watch. :lol: trust me , if it were the leagues would be just as popular as there would be money to be made.
    DS1119 wrote:
    It's not a good sport to watch. :lol: trust me , if it were the leagues would be just as popular as there would be money to be made.

I think it would be better to leave it at "it's not a sport we like to watch much". Whether or not it's a good spectator sport is just opinion.

• I think it would be better to leave it at "it's not a sport we like to watch much". Whether or not it's a good spectator sport is just opinion.
    if national team,do some success,all will change..
    btw,we dont call it soccer here,we call it football,the reason is obvious
    DS1119 wrote:
    It's not a good sport to watch. :lol: trust me , if it were the leagues would be just as popular as there would be money to be made.

I think it would be better to leave it at "it's not a sport we like to watch much". Whether or not it's a good spectator sport is just opinion.

Fair enough. It were a good spectator sport in North America in the opinion of the public here, professional soccer would be bigger because of the money to be made.

I in all honesty can name two soccer players. Pele (even though I couldn't pick him out of a lineup) and the dude married to the spice girl. :lol:

:lol::lol:

The national team could cure cancer and the people in the US would still be wondering what time the nfl game starts.

I've heard that in the past. After the last World Cup was the most recent. Never happens. Americans will pay attention as it is happening, but there's too much competition for it to really take off.
    DS1119 wrote:
    I in all honesty can name two soccer players. Pele (even though I couldn't pick him out of a lineup) and the dude married to the spice girl. :lol:

I can pick Pele out of a lineup, assuming he looks exactly like he does on the cover of his Atari game. Otherwise I'm shit out of luck.

a2600_pelessoccer_front.jpg&sa=X&ei=pvHwUMv2DtDpqAHZ2ICQBA&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFXZU9V8w2hsc9ZWA-npbFSNSaD8A
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,838
    Isn't curling sort of like horse shoes on ice?

I cannot stand Basketball anymore, it does not impress me that a guy that can almost touch the rim standing there can dunk.
    closer would be shuffle board on ice.

The little I've seen of it, it seems crazy that the guy sweeping in front of the stone can influence the direction that much.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I can't watch Curling without yelling "IT'S A FIENDISH THINGY!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpy9rcVThg
  • DS1119 wrote:

Again false. There are professional leagues in North America. The reason they aren't big like the nfl, nba, NHL, MLB is a simple reason. It's not a good sport to watch. :lol: trust me , if it were the leagues would be just as popular as there would be money to be made.

you are just so fucking disrespectful. it's one of the most popular sports on the fucking PLANET, yet because your precious USA doesn't like it, it must somehow suck to watch. just such stereotypical american bullshit close mindedness being displayed in your posts.

and you compare soccer to baseball. in baseball you can be an "athlete" and be 300 pounds. yeah, quite the sport. I've never seen anyone at a soccer/european football match fall asleep during it.

fans_sleep.jpg
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mickeyrat wrote:

The little I've seen of it, it seems crazy that the guy sweeping in front of the stone can influence the direction that much.
    i had the same exact thought...so crazy!
  • mickeyrat wrote:

i had the same exact thought...so crazy!

it actually does. believe it or not.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014

you are just so fucking disrespectful. it's one of the most popular sports on the fucking PLANET, yet because your precious USA doesn't like it, it must somehow suck to watch. just such stereotypical american bullshit close mindedness being displayed in your posts.

and you compare soccer to baseball. in baseball you can be an "athlete" and be 300 pounds. yeah, quite the sport. I've never seen anyone at a soccer/european football match fall asleep during it.

fans_sleep.jpg

Disrespectful. Just stating the facts. :lol: What baseball player by the way is 300 pounds? And to address a fan sleeping, that's their right. I guarantee most sports fans in the US would fall asleep at a soccer game too. :lol: