So much hate for camden shows

Twostep2000RVMTwostep2000RVM Posts: 95
edited January 2013 in The Porch
its all i usually read on here. usually, camden always sucks according to many.

why do people think this? all the boots ive heard, and the small amount of shows ive seen were fantastic.
7/5/03 - Camden N1
6/19/08 - Camden N1
9/2/12 - Philly

Philadelphia! We're all still Alive!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Not sure I have read hate about the actual shows- the shows I have seen there have been great.

However, the venue located in maybe the worst place in the world and you take your life into your hands driving in and out of there.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    1) amphitheater - I hate all shows at these places

2) Camden

3) Camden

4) Camden

Not the best place for a show
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • the venue is in the college district. lots of young people live in apartments right by it.

like 2 miles away is rough, but that spot isnt that bad.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

• shows are always good but its the shittiest area on the planet. camden makes detroit look like paris.

its also a pain in the ass to get to, a pain in the ass to get out of

and its an amphitheater.
    in short, camden blows
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    The atmosphere there is terrible. The shows themselves are great. But its hard to get excited about seeing a show in Camden like you do for other venues. They should drop Camden and use PNC in Holmdel again.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    What's the problem with amphitheaters?

The only issue I have with them is if it's windy the sound is spotty.

The best PJ shows I've seen have been outdoors.
  • DewieCox wrote:

you must have not seen that many shows

PJ is an arena band. they do their best work indoors.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:

you must have not seen that many shows

PJ is an arena band. they do their best work indoors.

I've been to my share.

I think it mostly comes down to preferring outdoors, personally.

Each setting has it's fair share of classic shows, so I don't think they do their unquestionably best work indoors.

Something about the atmosphere at an outdoor show seems to fit them more than the arena shows I've seen.
  • jjtormeyjjtormey Posts: 481
    I'm not so sure I would say they do their best work indoors...I've seen them outside throughout the years and two of the best shows were:

Soldier Field in 1995
    Berlin - Wuhlheide in 2009
    '94 - Miami;  '95 - Chicago;  '06 - Chicago x 2;  '08 - Washington, DC;   '09 - Berlin; Philly #1;   '10 - Noblesville, IN; Bristol, VA;   '11 - PJ20 x 2; Costa Rica;   '12 - Missoula;   '13 - Wrigley, Baltimore, Seattle;   '14 - Stockholm, St Louis;  '16 - Wrigley x 2; Fenway;  '18 - Wrigley x 2;  
  • shows are always good but its the shittiest area on the planet. camden makes detroit look like paris.

:lol::lol::lol:

Note to self- never go to Camden.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    on2legs wrote:
    The atmosphere there is terrible. The shows themselves are great. But its hard to get excited about seeing a show in Camden like you do for other venues. They should drop Camden and use PNC in Holmdel again.

nah play at wells fargo or a few shows at the mann center.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    I have been to some great Camden shows. The sound can get lost if you are in the lower 100 section to the far left or right sides. I recommed first or second row 200's which I is was lucky enough to get (TM) for night two of the Riot Act tour. The only problem with Camden is you cant grill in the parking lot which is cool with me as I always stop at my favorite wing joint in Woodbury NJ.

As for Holmdel...the aliens left their ship there because its a real shit show since the good old NJ Turnpike authority purchased in years ago. They turned the old lawn into uncovered seats...built a huge retaining wall and made a new lawn area twice the size and slope. Of course they didn't add any bathrooms or amenities to deal with the added seats..so if you need to use the facilites...bring a sleeping bag.
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I think anything that involves sleater Kenny is shitty
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Zoso wrote:
    on2legs wrote:

nah play at wells fargo or a few shows at the mann center.

No way, play in front of the Art Museum again. :D

(Wells Fargo would do too)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • I have seen multiple shows in Camden and the show is always great! the area is rough but I always come from the philly side via the Fairy! no bullshit in or out!
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    First off, where is this topic coming from right now, its winter time with no shows. Secondly, this guy is from MN and I went to Camden for a show a few years ago. Reading up on it and not sure what to expect, I was a little scared going solo to the show. Once I got there (day time) I loved every second of it. The venue was nothing fancy, but the east coast vibe was AWESOME!! That place was alive for sure. After the show I stood by a cop until I was able to flag a ride back to the hotel. I figured that was the safest place.

As for outdoor stadiums? Not sure what the difference is besides controlled temp. I have been to the Gorge, BEAUTIFUL, except it was 110 degrees. I have been to Alpine several times, Ice Bowl, 20 degrees and PJ 20 average with some rain. I think the shows are great inside or outside, although getting around is much easier inside, concessions, bathrooms, etc......

Better is Eddie Vedder in a venue with 3,000 people or Pearl Jam in Missoula 5,000 seat gymnasium.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    jason wrote:
    First off, where is this topic coming from right now, its winter time with no shows.

Several people have mentioned Camden shows in this thread
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    Went to the two '06 shows. Venue was fine. Getting there and back to Philly was a pain. Ghetto town.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • [quote\]PJ is an arena band. they do their best work indoors.[/quote]

i couldn't disagree more. i've seen shows in Mansfield, MA that were some of the best PJ shows i've been to. the two nights in 08 were outstanding!! not to mention, to quote mr. vedder, "that time we tried to play every song we know." three nights in Mansfield. that place has a great atmosphere and it seems that the boys enjoy playing more there than they do at the TD Banknorth Garden or whatever the hell it's called now.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I've been in first row twice out of my 30 something shows,
    and both were in Camden.
    So therefore I cant help but like the place- for PJ concerts.
    Not to sightsee, but PJ shows.
    :)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • i just dont get where the hate comes from.

im pretty new here, but ive been a pearl jam fan since probably 00ish. i havent seen them nearly enough times which i regret. i spent most of my high school-college years chasing DMB around the country. but most threads when discussing disappointing shows, and stuff like that, camden always surfaces. just wondering why that is considering the following in this area has always been top notch.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    couple of reasons.
    1) the Philly proper shows have been so darn good (spectrum 2003, wachovia 2005, spectrum 2009) that it's hard to compare any shows to those.
    2) because camden is such a large venue (25,000) it tends to bring out a portion of the crowd there just to tailgate, party and act like idiots. this is for every show there, not just pj
    3) as someone mentioned prior the sound on the sides of the venue suck. i was all the way to the side by the wall for one show and the sounds was terribly muffled. 4) camden nj is a hell hole...with apologies to hell
    5) getting out of the parking lots can be hellacious. i remember one show not moving for over an hour in the lot.

hopefully PJ plays the Wells Fargo center in Philly instead of going back to Camden. Not confident they will since Camden can get them about 7,000 more paying customers per show. Although i do recall Jeff saying he hated the venue as well.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    its all i usually read on here. usually, camden always sucks according to many.

why do people think this? all the boots ive heard, and the small amount of shows ive seen were fantastic.

I thought the 2006 shows were great at Camden. I thought the first 2003 show was good, but the second show was a downer for me due to the greatest hits encore (yep, been to too many shows).

I don't mind the venue as I stay in Philly when I visit and take the subway to Camden. Easy 10 minute walk with lots of people around to get back on the subway. I don't feel the safest, but I am not scared by any means. One night I got off on the wrong stop in Philly by myself after the show and people were yelling they were going to shoot the guy I was walking a few feet from on the street. Kept my head down and walked briskly.

I like outdoor shows and wished there were a couple non-festival shows during the Euro tour last year.

PJ shines anywhere, but I would prefer arena shows consistently over outdoor shows.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Ahhhhhh... My wheel house.... The good ol urine soaked shit hole in Camden...

The shows are always great... Because it is PJ in the Philly area... I love outdoor shows...

BUT... The venue sucks... The sound sucks... The city sucks... The pisser situation sucks... The abusive Camden cops suck... The traffic leaving sucks... Pretty much everything except the band on stage sucks lol...

But they will continue to play there because they can sell 20,000 lawn seats and cash in...

I just wish it were a nicer venue in a better location
  • wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    yeah I've been to like 30+ shows here and every PJ show at Camden (except the July 2003 pair, as I hit the Spectrum that year)...but even in the beginning (1998), they'd play amazing sets, Ed's comments were always Philly related (always a Dobbs reference) and they always brought their A-game those nights...even the 2008 shows were great, but the crime of Camden always pollutes the lot scene and its always dodgy leaving there (nitrous crowds, driving over broken bottles on your way out, getting jumped). If they keep playing great sets inside the cesspool of Camden, I'm sure I'd still go as much as it scares me until I go in!
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    i hate mainly cause of the parking. It sucks there! $25 for parking?????? Next time i'll probably take the ferry over. Also getting out is a pain in the ass.

The venue itself is ok and all i just hate everything around it :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Camden is one of the many cities New Jersey just doesn't care about. It was hoped that this venue would help revitalize the area but they put no money back into the city despite all the income. In fact they just eliminated their police department I think. But as we all know ticketmaster doesn't care about poor people. So maybe it's just a depressing area despite how great the shows are. Kinda like going to Jamaica, resort is good, but the poverty is depressing if you bother to look outside your cab window coming in from the airport.
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,665
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I think anything that involves sleater Kenny is shitty

Well played!

I've been to every Camden show since 2000. They all suck. The number one reason is the setlist are terrible. Always a greatest hits show, and you always find out that the only rare song on the setlist was scratched because of a request for last kiss. Second, the venue is terrible. It's too hot in the seats, the few screens they have suck if you are on the field, the sound is awful. Third, you are surrounded by Philly meat-heads chanting E-A-G-L-E-S. Fourth, it's Camden.

Yet for some reason, every show in Philly proper... pure gold since 2005.
  • ckravitzckravitz Posts: 1,668
    shows are always good but its the shittiest area on the planet. camden makes detroit look like paris.

It's hard to express just how true this is. Pick a bad area of a bad city anywhere else in the country..... the criminals in those areas would be afraid to go to Camden. :o