Oscars 2013

Comments

• Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Daniel Day-Lewis: best actor EVER (IMO, of course).

I definitely think he's up there. But Brando or Bogart or Cary Grant or James Dean or Deniro or Pacino or Hoffman cant be out of the conversation either.
    No doubt about that. All legends. DDL just continues to blow me away.

youre not alone. He never lets me down. Watching him is an absolute pleasure. To see someone give that much to their craft and art is inspirational. He's one of those guys who gives absolutely everything, and it shows in the finished product. I think his performance in There will Be blood could be the single greatest acting performance in history. He;s just completely driven. Its fun to be a fan of his because you know whatever role he takes on is going to be amazing. He;s a hero of mine, and an inspiration for my art
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,781
    A couple funny gifs from the show
    http://bit.ly/W5ARFE
    I miss igotid88
  • where are the results?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

you welcome ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    Eraserhead wrote:
    Amour is the best film of the last 10 years.

Won Best Foreign Language film. Really want to see No and War Witch too.

Dimitris - what did you think of Dogtooth getting an Oscar nom two years ago?
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:

youre not alone. He never lets me down. Watching him is an absolute pleasure. To see someone give that much to their craft and art is inspirational. He's one of those guys who gives absolutely everything, and it shows in the finished product. I think his performance in There will Be blood could be the single greatest acting performance in history. He;s just completely driven. Its fun to be a fan of his because you know whatever role he takes on is going to be amazing. He;s a hero of mine, and an inspiration for my art
    I've seen "The Crucible," "The Boxer," "Gangs of New York," "There Will Be Blood," and "Lincoln" by DDL. "Crucible" was the first one and that was junior year in high school after we read it. Just so damn great. I have "My Left Foot" on the DVR. I'm waiting for spring break to watch it. My high school English teacher recommended it to me. I just love his acting method and how much he'll stay in character.

His performance in "There Will Be Blood" is spectacular. He deserved that Best Actor. No one came close in acting that year to him. In my opinion, Jack Lemon's performance in "The Apartment" is, to me, the best acting performance I've ever seen on film. It's tough for me to describe how much I love his acting in that film.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I'm no movie expert but it seems to me like they tried to make everyone happy. Is it odd that 3 different movies would win best screenplay, best directer and best picture? Everyone gets a participation trophy!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    every time i flipped it on they were giving out awards that no one outside of hollywood gives two shits about..editing, short films and stuff. and this was prime time on the east coast. makes no sense.

jennifer lawrence seems like such a normal chick. hope hollywood doesn't fuck her up. you could tell she was nervous presenting and see today where she fell going up to get the award. embarrassing for sure but makes her seem a lot more regular than a lot of the hollywood elite.

and i have a strong dislike for anne hathaway. something about her just rubs me the wrong way. not sure why but she just bothers me.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    i thoroughly enjoyed the Boob Song.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    RKCNDY wrote:

Perhaps I should have tuned in. Were there pictures?
    RKCNDY wrote:

No, but the reactions are priceless...HA Charlize Theron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LeuTc_kGj8

(that's a really bad recording, but the others don't have video)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Wow...she didn't look happy at all...

well, if she didn't show her boobs, then she wouldn't have been in the song! :lol:

- Christopher McCandless
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I've seen "The Crucible," "The Boxer," "Gangs of New York," "There Will Be Blood," and "Lincoln" by DDL. "Crucible" was the first one and that was junior year in high school after we read it. Just so damn great. I have "My Left Foot" on the DVR. I'm waiting for spring break to watch it. My high school English teacher recommended it to me. I just love his acting method and how much he'll stay in character.

His performance in "There Will Be Blood" is spectacular. He deserved that Best Actor. No one came close in acting that year to him. In my opinion, Jack Lemon's performance in "The Apartment" is, to me, the best acting performance I've ever seen on film. It's tough for me to describe how much I love his acting in that film.

You are in for a treat when you watch My Left Foot. He drove his costars mad when he stayed in character for that one. I had much the same experience in terms of my first DDL movie., in school we read the Crucible and the teacher showed the movie after we read it. I very much am facinated by his acting method as well. For the Crucible he actually built a 17th century style house and lived in it, without electricty and modern convenicences to get into his role. And the Boxer of course he was interrofgated for 9 hours, and stayed in a jail cell for 3 days all the while every few hours someone would come by and bang on the walls to wake him up, so he could understand why Jerry Conlin would confess to a crime he didnt commit.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,673
    RKCNDY wrote:

I think her reaction was part of the gag.

WTF was Michelle Obama doing awarding Best Picture...go away woman.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Pretty sure the Theron reaction was her playing around. Right after she got up on stage and danced.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Holy crap that is too funny! Im amazed this was part of the show!
    Next year will the song be heading south?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Poncier wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I think her reaction was part of the gag.

Exactly. They all were...probably pre-recorded too.

Did a memo go out this year that said they have to be called "the Oscars" at all times? Can't they still be called "the Academy Awards" on occasion too?
    I'm not the biggest Family Guy fan but I thought Seth MacFarlane did an okay job. Maybe next year they can have Tina Fey and Amy Poehler co-host. They did a nice job at the Golden Globes.
    I'm way behind on my movie-watching so I haven't seen most of the Oscar-winning movies yet. Though I did see Searching For Sugar Man on February 1 and thought it was terrific. I was glad to see it win for Best Documentary Feature.
    I thought the beginning with William Shatner was the funniest part of the telecast. I would love for William Shatner to host one year.
    Did the producers of Chicago have a hand in the telecast last night? You would think so with all of the Chicago stuff they put in there. Is that really considered such a classic movie? I didn't think so.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    th_tumblr_misasiYpRM1qasthro1_500_zps4c1d253b.jpg

:lol::lol:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    norm wrote:
    th_tumblr_misasiYpRM1qasthro1_500_zps4c1d253b.jpg

:lol::lol:

love this. saw this one below yesterday too. thought this was pretty cool. a genuine fun and normal reaction from her family after an interview. easy to dig jennifer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 ... 58589.html
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,673
    Check out Jack hitting on Jennifer Lawrence...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_ijaKmtmw
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    My predictions: I've seen most of these movies, but not all.

Best Picture - Argo
    Best Director - Stephen Spielberg
    Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis
    Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence
    Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Waltz
    Best Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway
    Best Original Screenplay - Zero Dark Thirty
    Best Adapted Screenplay - Argo
    Best Animated Feature - Wreck-It Ralph
    Best Foreign Language Film - Amour
    Best Visual Effects - Life of Pi
    Best Cinematography - Life Of Pi
    Best Costume Design - Anna Karenina
    Best Documentary Feature - Searching For Sugar Man
    Best Documentary Short - Inocente
    Best Production Design - Les Miserables
    Best Makeup and Design - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Best Music (score) - Life Of Pi
    Best Music (song) - Skyfall
    Best Short, Animated - Paperman
    Best Short, Live Action - Buzkashi Boys (i just like the title)
    Best Sound Editing - Skyfall
    Best Sound Mixing - Les Miserables
    Best Editing - Argo

edit: decided to do the whole list, just a blind guess with some "buzz" on a few of these.

not too shabby, 18 out of 24 :corn:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Oscar, 1994, best show to get stoned to: Bob Ross, the Joy of Painting. :mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Oscar, 1994, best show to get stoned to: Bob Ross, the Joy of Painting. :mrgreen:

You realize Kurt Cobain killed himself three days after Bob Ross died? Now i don't know if there's was a connection but...

You realize Kurt Cobain killed himself three days after Bob Ross died? Now i don't know if there's was a connection but...

bad times my friend.. I think when I found out Bob Ross died, I knew there was no god.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

Okay. I'm officially starting to worry about you now :?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Okay. I'm officially starting to worry about you now :?

Just now? Oh wait, now its "official." :lol: :P

I'm sleep deprived today. :crazy:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    So it is true. No one hates Jennifer Lawrence

http://www.vice.com/read/what-do-hate-g ... r-lawrence