2012 Income Tax Season

Comments

• I'll probably hire my accounting major buddy to do them for me
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'll probably hire my accounting major buddy to do them for me

why would you pay to have them done....gotta believe yours are super easy....

http://www.irs.gov

look for free file.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    I'll probably hire my accounting major buddy to do them for me

why would you pay to have them done....gotta believe yours are super easy....

http://www.irs.gov

look for free file.

Laziness
    81 wrote:
    women's taxes have been submitted.

and her state is done....

IL's tax website blows. :fp:

now we wait until the end of march to do mine. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    I will get an extension and collect interest on my refund when I file in October. ;):lol:

what rate do they pay?

Currently, 3% for errornous returns in your favor, beginning on the date that you filed and ending on the date you amended. Interest is adjusted quarterly.

It should be noted that the interest rate is usually matched to the CPI rate of inflation, so the real interest rate becomes 0% and amended returns go straight to IRS auditors for review.

There's better ways to earn interest out there.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Just submitted my taxes.

My federal refund.....

$2.

2 fuckin dollars! :fp:

Oh, and I owe the stupid state of AZ a nice chunk. :x
    i'm still waiting on my investment tax statement...although i have the data...but more importantly, i need to figure out how to account for taxes deducted from a divided payment and paid to anouther country.

initial indications are i can reduce my divided income by that amount or claim it as a credit at the end. credit being more valuable.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i used to pay an accountant to do my business taxes. finally broke down and bought turbo tax.
    had i known it was so easy i would have started doing them myself years ago.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    81 wrote:
    i'm still waiting on my investment tax statement...although i have the data...but more importantly, i need to figure out how to account for taxes deducted from a divided payment and paid to anouther country.

initial indications are i can reduce my divided income by that amount or claim it as a credit at the end. credit being more valuable.

Prolly best to claim it as a foreign tax credit, which is more valuable then reducing your dividend.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    81 wrote:

Prolly best to claim it as a foreign tax credit, which is more valuable then reducing your dividend.

yup...that was my conclusion....be the first time i have to file that form. i was looking forward to a very easy return this year. (didn't sell any stock this year). not that selling stock is all that complicated, just adds forms.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    81 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    I will get an extension and collect interest on my refund when I file in October. ;):lol:

what rate do they pay?

Currently, 3% for errornous returns in your favor, beginning on the date that you filed and ending on the date you amended. Interest is adjusted quarterly.

It should be noted that the interest rate is usually matched to the CPI rate of inflation, so the real interest rate becomes 0% and amended returns go straight to IRS auditors for review.

There's better ways to earn interest out there.
    Right. But they don't pay interest on general over payments that are refunded when a timely tax return is filed.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    I just finished doing mine (mom came over and helped a little, i'm kinda bad with this :oops: :lol: ).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Oh fuck. I still need to do this :fp:
    your college might offer free tax prep for students
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    your college might offer free tax prep for students

They do

But I have four options

1. Do it myself

2. Have my dad do it for me

3. pay my buddy, an accounting major, to do it for me

4. Go to the school and do it
    federal done. i really should change my deductions.....but i'll take the refund :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    and state done
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    81 wrote:
    and state done
    sneaky you changed it so quick.. I was going to start a charity thread in your honor :D I think we could have got it handled :lol:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:
    81 wrote:
    and state done
    sneaky you changed it so quick.. I was going to start a charity thread in your honor :D I think we could have got it handled :lol:

IL's website sucks. once i put in property tax, i ended with a refund. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I'm ready for my money

fucking goddamnit
    I'm ready for my money

fucking goddamnit

mine will get here when it gets here.

doesn't really matter, no it doesn't really matter
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    81 wrote:
    I'm ready for my money

fucking goddamnit

mine will get here when it gets here.

doesn't really matter, no it doesn't really matter

I'm just going to blow it all on drugs anyway
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Get_Right wrote:
    Right. But they don't pay interest on general over payments that are refunded when a timely tax return is filed.

No. Actually the interest rate on a timely filed return is currently 12%
    rollings wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

why have i never received an interest payment
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    rollings wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

Have you not filed for 23 years? http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/Fed ... rest_Rates

If you file timely, but the IRS takes longer than 45 days to process your return, they will pay you interest on your over payment based on the quarterly adjusted rate shown in the link.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    rollings wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

If that was the case, I'd overpay all of my extra dough.......the rate is 3% per annum., so on 1,000, you'd earn $2.50 per month, or $30 per year.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    My ex husband said he would give me half last year. (5K)... But he bought a car instead. This year my Mom wants to claim me. I feel so USED.

Jeremy Spoke :fp:
    and just like every other year for the past 5 years, the monday after i file, by broker sends me a revised 1099

every fuckin year. :fp:

doesn't change how i was going to report anything, but damn, everything is in a fuckin computer...how hard is it to produce a correct 1099 you stupid fucks.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:
    and state done
    State? What State?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    81 wrote:
    and state done
    State? What State?

State of corruption