2012 Income Tax Season

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
don't forget, if you AGI is 57K or less, you can use online software from a number of popular providers and file online for free

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Yo ... s-for-Free

if you are in chicago, feel free to stop by 81's tax shop for preperation. i do require booze tho. :lol:

:cheers:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I do hope your accounting skills are better than your grammar skills.

:wave:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:lol:

I'm fully expected to get bent over once again this year. Damn taxes!
    I always owe just a little to the feds and a bunch to the damn state. Damn taxes!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    I will get an extension and collect interest on my refund when I file in October. ;):lol:
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Mamasan23 wrote:

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:

my dearly departed mom always used to say....we all have our cross to bear....sadly, i was never good at spelling, grammer, or anything artistic. :( thankfully, i have many other skills that make up for those.

but seriously, use the free software if you qualify. i hate seeing people lined up at the h&r blocks of the world throwing their money away to get the taxes done....and when you file electoronicly yourself, you not only avoid the prep fee, you get your money back super fast making those stupid rapid refund loans that less enticing
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Get_Right wrote:
    I will get an extension and collect interest on my refund when I file in October. ;):lol:

what rate do they pay?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I always owe just a little to the feds and a bunch to the damn state. Damn taxes!

actually, that's technically the right way to do it.

but since i'm not that bright, i always get a couple of G back from the feds and break pretty even on state.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SInce 81 is the tax expert...question for ya..

I got married last year so is there any advantage to filing jointly with the wife? Or should I just continue to file on my own?
    SInce 81 is the tax expert...question for ya..

I got married last year so is there any advantage to filing jointly with the wife? Or should I just continue to file on my own?

i'm anything but an expert.....

but my advice would be to prepare them both ways and see what happens.

my guess is if your incomes and deductions are similiar, it won't really matter, but if one of you makes substationaly more than the other, you should see some savings filing jointly. doesn't cost anything but a little time to find out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I usually owe the feds every year too, wtf is up with THAT???

ugh
    edited January 2013
    I usually owe the feds every year too, wtf is up with THAT???

ugh

clearly, you aren't deducting enough. :lol:

actually, you are doing it right. you want to owe.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    81 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

what rate do they pay?
    I was joking. I don't think they pay interest on a standard refund, even if extended. They keep the money interest free. Fuckers.
    Get_Right wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

what rate do they pay?
    I was joking. I don't think they pay interest on a standard refund, even if extended. They keep the money interest free. Fuckers.

oh. :lol: if it was like 2%, i'd extend. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Single male....yeah...bend over and say ah.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    DS1119 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Single male....yeah...bend over and say ah.

Yep. And I don't have shit for deductions. The Fed return info comes back first for me and I'm always like "Ok, that's not so bad..." Then the state one pops up and it's like "Lube up time". :x :lol:
    My salary went up quite a bit last year too so that's also not gonna help! Grrrr!
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    My dad does it for me every year

I'll just kick back and have a beer
    mca47 wrote:
    Yep. And I don't have shit for deductions. The Fed return info comes back first for me and I'm always like "Ok, that's not so bad..." Then the state one pops up and it's like "Lube up time". :x :lol:
    My salary went up quite a bit last year too so that's also not gonna help! Grrrr!

one of the few benifits of having a house...the mortgage intrest deduction opens the door to claim all my other deductions

this year is gonna be a little rougher with all the late year bonus dividend payments. didn't sell any stock, so don't have to deal with that form this year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    When does bow and shotgun season start?
    Jason P wrote:

Bow season just ended here... September 15th is when it started.

Shotgun and firearm season starts November 17th

Jason P wrote:

guess it all depends on what you are hunting.

what are you lookign to hunt.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

guess it all depends on what you are hunting.

what are you lookign to hunt.
    W2 Forms.

Maybe some Form 1040's. I like to go spotting for them in the evenings.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I do taxes for a living, and since it was pretty certain the rates would go up for 2013, we accelerated income into 2012 for our high-earning clients....this was possible because some of the clients are paid through their personal service corporations that have fiscal year-ends (such as January 31).

We would normally issue salary checks from the corporations to the owners on 1/31/13 (this is a way to defer taxes for a year), but because of the increase in tax rates, we issued the paychecks on 12/31/12. In most cases, the tax savings are approx $4,600 for every $100,000 of salary. We also had our investment advisors accelerate capital gains into 2012.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I do taxes for a living, and since it was pretty certain the rates would go up for 2013, we accelerated income into 2012 for our high-earning clients....this was possible because some of the clients are paid through their personal service corporations that have fiscal year-ends (such as January 31).

We would normally issue salary checks from the corporations to the owners on 1/31/13 (this is a way to defer taxes for a year), but because of the increase in tax rates, we issued the paychecks on 12/31/12. In most cases, the tax savings are approx $4,600 for every $100,000 of salary. We also had our investment advisors accelerate capital gains into 2012.

and here is your expert. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    81 wrote:
    one of the few benifits of having a house...the mortgage intrest deduction opens the door to claim all my other deductions
    Until you get where I am. The mortgage is paid down enough now that we haven't been able to itemize deductions for the last 3-4 years. Not really complaining, just hoping to get the the place paid off sooner.

And there are more than a few benefits to having a house. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    And there are more than a few benefits to having a house. :lol:

true...but not lately. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

move to FL! no state income taxes. I gave up online filing a few years ago. Found a dude that gets me boat loads more back...he may be crooked but i dont make enough money for the feds to ever worry about auditing my poor ass
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    mca47 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

move to FL! no state income taxes. I gave up online filing a few years ago. Found a dude that gets me boat loads more back...he may be crooked but i dont make enough money for the feds to ever worry about auditing my poor ass

Sketch! :lol:
  • Yeah, I am one of those idiots who gives the government a nice, interest free loan, throughout the year. But its ok, they need the money, and I enjoy the nice FAT refund check come April.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Yeah, I am one of those idiots who gives the government a nice, interest free loan, throughout the year. But its ok, they need the money, and I enjoy the nice FAT refund check come April.

just remember ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for this country, clearly they had that in mind when creating the IRS...
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    women's taxes have been submitted.
    81 is now off the air