Options

So as the band and their fans get older....

halvhalv Posts: 680
edited January 2013 in The Porch
...how long until we start seeing the majority of the crowd at live shows stay seated?? I remember going to see The Who about 10 years ago and was pretty shocked to see that most of the crowd sat the whole show. Same with Paul McCartney last month.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I am 23 years old... you would have te beat me down with a bat to keep me seated during a Pearl Jam-show! Believe me... young people discover this band every day. :-) I'm thankful I did ...
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    HaKaBree wrote:
    I am 23 years old... you would have te beat me down with a bat to keep me seated during a Pearl Jam-show! Believe me... young people discover this band every day. :-) I'm thankful I did ...
    :D ...I am 37 and I am thinking the same thing :D
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    27 here....gonna be rocking out with the boys and following them as much as they let me and until their days are done.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    24 and dancing... :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    52 and still rocking...5th grade teacher and still standing at every show I go to. Saw The Who in Boston recently and too many people were seated! Some songs it's okay but come on people - music is for dancing!
  • Options
    the Stones still get people dancing at every show, and they are mummified compared to PJ and their fans.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    46 years young here.
    Yeah , i'll sit for a song here or there,
    but for the most part I'll be standing
    & reciprocating the energy the band puts out
    for as long as they continue to do so .

:wave:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    halv wrote:
    ...how long until we start seeing the majority of the crowd at live shows stay seated?? I remember going to see The Who about 10 years ago and was pretty shocked to see that most of the crowd sat the whole show. Same with Paul McCartney last month.
    Well I'm turning 37 in a few months, and I am probably more energetic at concerts now than I was when I was younger. I won't be sitting down any time soon - not until I get arthritis or something and I physically can't stand and rock out anymore! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    the Stones still get people dancing at every show, and they are mummified compared to PJ and their fans.

:lol::lol::lol: OMG that's funny! :lol:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    loix71loix71 Posts: 283
    teriroseob wrote:
    52 and still rocking...5th grade teacher and still standing at every show I go to. Saw The Who in Boston recently and too many people were seated! Some songs it's okay but come on people - music is for dancing!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    08/06/2000 Paris
    09/09/2006 Marseille
    11/06/2006 Paris
    03/07/2010 Arras
    30/06/2012 Arras
    16/06/2014 Amsterdam
    26/06/2014 Berlin
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    im 43 and i broke my back in a fall a few years back but i cant help but stand up at gigs although i pay for it :lol:
    its the hang overs i cant get used to nowadays :fp: :lol:
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    teriroseob wrote:

fiftyfuckingseven and i stand jump and dance every second possible
    it was extremely difficult to sit through parts of ed's shows
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    37 & have definitely learnt over the years ain't no lame-arsed seating at shows for me!! :lol: I got seated tickets for my folks(63 & 70) who are coming to Uncle Neil & Crazy Horse with me in March though. They can sit, I'll be down the front. 8-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    LexyLexy Posts: 46
    HaKaBree wrote:

We sure do! :D I'm fourteen and I love Pearl Jam to bits! I saw them last year and, though we were seated, we stood the whole time and it was amazing! Next time I see them (and I'm determined to do so!) I hope that I can stand properly, because, as much as I loved it seated, the energy in the standing area looked phenomenal and I'm sure that energy will stay with us fans for a long time yet! :D
  • Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    45 and my good lady is 37...we took in our first PJ show in Manchester this year and there was no danger of sitting down at any point during the show. This was the same for the whole section we were in which was made up of all ages from 16 to 60. As for the section to our right, made up of the same age spread, out of about 200 fans only about 30 were up and mobile...great show...weird atmosphere.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    we dont have this issues at Europe.. :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Lexy wrote:
    HaKaBree wrote:

We sure do! :D I'm fourteen and I love Pearl Jam to bits! I saw them last year and, though we were seated, we stood the whole time and it was amazing! Next time I see them (and I'm determined to do so!) I hope that I can stand properly, because, as much as I loved it seated, the energy in the standing area looked phenomenal and I'm sure that energy will stay with us fans for a long time yet! :D
    Oh no, just bcause you have a seat does not mean you sit!
    I personally don't know how people.can go to a rock show and just sit there; how can one not move their bodies to the music?I guess I've been lucky - I've never been to a rock concert where many people sat in their seats... although I did go to The Killers show last month, and it was pretty spectacular, everyone in the arena was on their feet, except these two weirdos right next to me who just sat there (couldn't even really see since everyone else was up), and didn't move a muscle or stand up or even smile or sing ONCE, and they couldn't have been older than 25. It was strange!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    18% in this topic are Greeks and all standing...PJ come back! :D
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    we dont have this issues at Europe.. :mrgreen:
    Yeah, I don't know what it is... it's like some in N. America just let their exuberance die. Maybe it's the lack of vacation time! :lol: The US, followed closely by Canada, has the lowest amount of mandatory vacation time for workers in the entire world (for first world nations I think was the qualifier). Maybe people are too tired to stand and get excited. Lucky for me, I've got a union job with great benefits - modified hours and loads of vacation. So I am okay to always rock put at concerts! :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Lexy wrote:
    Oh no, just bcause you have a seat does not mean you sit!
    I personally don't know how people.can go to a rock show and just sit there; how can one not move their bodies to the music?I guess I've been lucky - I've never been to a rock concert where many people sat in their seats... although I did go to The Killers show last month, and it was pretty spectacular, everyone in the arena was on their feet, except these two weirdos right next to me who just sat there (couldn't even really see since everyone else was up), and didn't move a muscle or stand up or even smile or sing ONCE, and they couldn't have been older than 25. It was strange!
    [/quote]

Couldn't agree more! It's beyond me how some people can go to concerts and not move at all. I mean, I understand that some folks can't stand the whole time, but at least TRY and enjoy yourself - getting up and moving is all part of the experience! :D To each their own I guess. Oh and wow that IS strange... :? Boo to them!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I saw two shows in November that were like night and day.

Paul McCartney played the Sunday Night in Vancouver. Except for maybe the first 20 or so rows on the floor everyone remained seated. It was a stadium sized venue.

Then the following night Springsteen played the Arena next door. He's 63? The crowd stood, cheered and sang for the whole 3 hours.

McCartney is about 10 years old, and the Beatles predated Springsteen by about 10 years. That's not a big gap in age to me, but the crowds were night and day.

My conclusion. It's up to the audience, how much the music rocks, the size of the venue (how well can you really connect with fans in a venue so big the attendees can't even make out the singer unless there looking at the screen).

I think PJ have many standing up shows ahead of them. They're music and their fans rock too hard to be a sit down show.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    44 & have never sat thru any concert...can't see it happening any time soon
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Lexy wrote:
    Couldn't agree more! It's beyond me how some people can go to concerts and not move at all. I mean, I understand that some folks can't stand the whole time, but at least TRY and enjoy yourself - getting up and moving is all part of the experience! :DTo each their own I guess. Oh and wow that IS strange... :? Boo to them!

To each their own...

People enjoy music in different ways. Sitting does not mean not enjoying themselves. Some may also enjoy 'from within' and not demonstrate it externally (ie bouncing around/moving/dancing). No need to call them weirdos or boo them.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Lexy wrote:
    Couldn't agree more! It's beyond me how some people can go to concerts and not move at all. I mean, I understand that some folks can't stand the whole time, but at least TRY and enjoy yourself - getting up and moving is all part of the experience! :DTo each their own I guess. Oh and wow that IS strange... :? Boo to them!

To each their own...

People enjoy music in different ways. Sitting does not mean not enjoying themselves. Some may also enjoy 'from within' and not demonstrate it externally (ie bouncing around/moving/dancing). No need to call them weirdos or boo them.

Yeah sorry, that's what I was trying to say - for me, I like to enjoy music by getting up and moving, but I guess that isn't everyone's cup of tea. :) and I just thought it was a little strange that they didn't smile the whole time, but as you say, people enjoy music in different ways. :) I agree with you, it was wrong for me to 'boo' them, thank you for pointing out my mistake. :)
  • Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    I am 52 and dance through every concert- you are never too old to rock-n-roll. I will dance and sing at concerts until the day I die!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    it sucks when someone behind you asks you to sit down.

:cry:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Lexy wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Lexy wrote:

To each their own...

Yeah sorry, that's what I was trying to say - for me, I like to enjoy music by getting up and moving, but I guess that isn't everyone's cup of tea. :) and I just thought it was a little strange that they didn't smile the whole time, but as you say, people enjoy music in different ways. :) I agree with you, it was wrong for me to 'boo' them, thank you for pointing out my mistake. :)
    For the record, I'm not saying those people were simply sitting there and enjoying the music. They sag there looking like they were waiting to be walked to the electric chair. Pretty sure they never even said a word to one another and no emotional reaction whatsoever (yet I could tell they weren't high). It WAS weird!! And kind of a downer. Plus,they were snotty about me asking them tto stand up just so I could get put to go to the washroom! Meanwhile, there was a tually crowd surfing happening at that show (tk my great surprise). They were lame and deserved a boo!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    it sucks when someone behind you asks you to sit down.

:cry:
    Yes that would suck. I don't think it's at all an appropriate request at a rock concert. It's always seemed to me that there is an unwritten rule that you stand up in that case, not ask others to sit down and restrain their enjoyment. I think only a total jerk would make that request at a rock concert.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    sitting....that is funny.

this is the only place I sit at a PJ concert
    back-shitters-thumb.jpg
  • Options
    At 121212 most of the crowd was standing the whole time. And that's the demographic you seem to be "worried" about.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.