Top movies of 2012

2»

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,775
    dankind wrote:
    Long live the Woodman!

Amen, brother. :)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    did anybody see killing them softly? we were going to double dip it on christmas, but it was pulled just before then.

i thought it looked good, but it was given mediocre reviews.

shown at cannes, and a brad pitt film. for me, i see those types of films based on those 2 facts alone. I thought it was a good movie. Not for the faint of heart. Brad Pitt and the director were grilled during cannes about the violence, and brad and the director seemed okay with it. They suggested the violence was cartoony, and deliberately fake looking. I also think violence was essential in the story and theme they were making

I thought this movie was essentially what Zero should have been. There were larger political points made throughout the movie. To me, the theme of the movie was that america is built on crime and it drives the economy. The use of obama and bush in the background in the cafe and bar scenes really hit home that point. And its a point i make often. Its ludicruous that people tell children to be nonviolent, and then the president lobs bombs and drones and tortures people. Kids pick up on that, and in my view its why alot of crime is committed, and although it isnt okay to do that stuff, im a pacifist myself and vehemently antiwar and violence, but as a sociologist, i see a connection between the outrageous nature of the news, and whats going on in families, what the president is doing, and the culture at large.

The point was subtle but brilliant. Having some violent scene, then having Bush or Obama talking about violence and war in the background on some tv, really was ingenious.

damn it, i hate political shit in movies....absolutely ruined machete for me.

i'll defiantly be keeping an eye for this tho....sounds like real folks generally like it

It's was easy to ignore the political themes. But I agree, at first it was distracting. A few beers into it and I didn't really care. :lol: