9/9/24- Philly, PA
Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,773
    To Rome with Love
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • moonrise kingdom was the best film of the year.

Things i liked

lincoln

life of pi

amour

rust and bone

liberal arts

The Master

the sessions

jeff who lives at home

sound of my voice

safety not guaranteed

your sisters sister

ruby sparks

perks of being a wallflower

holy motors

cloud atlas

this is 40

les mis

on the road

best actor: DDL, close second Joaquin Pheonix, third John Hawkes-sessions

Best actress: anne hathaway
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    Good & Would Watch Again:
    5 Year Engagement
    Moonrise Kingdom

Good, but once was enough:
    Lincoln
    Dark Knight Rises
    Django
    Skyfall

Disappointment:
    Looper - Started off as a great action/crime movie, but once they got on that farm it took too heavy of a sci-fi turn.

Wanted To See But Never Got Around To It:
    Bernie
    Jeff Who Lives At home
    The Master
    Beasts Of The Southern Wild
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I've only seen The Man With The Iron Fists this year

I guess I saw The Hobbit too
  • B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    Me and my mates sneak in to the cinemas every monday night (sometimes pay as its cheap monday night) so I've seen quite a bit.

Top 5
    The Hobbit
    Seven Psychopaths
    The Avengers
    Looper
    Dredd

Honourable Mentions
    Argo (Was in my top 5 originally)
    Prometheus
    21 Jump Street
    Wreck It Ralph
    Skyfall
    Cabin In The Woods
    Men In Black 3
    Ted
    The Man With THe Iron Fist
    The Grey
    The Watch

Worst Movies
    Gone
    Red Dawn
    Amazing Spiderman
    Savages

and sadly Dark Knight Rises was a mess. Should of been a 2 parter and less pretentious.
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    Movies I enjoyed...

The Avengers (!!!)
    Django Unchained
    The Grey
    Haywire
    Looper
    Argo
    Wreck It Ralph

Movies I was ok with but expected a lot more from...

The Dark Knight Rises
    Ted
    Amazing Spider Man
    Moonrise Kingdom
    The Hunger Games
    The Odd Life of Timothy Green
    Brave

Movie I had to put up with because my kids wanted to see it...

Ice Age: Continental Drift

Movies I heard a lot about but didn't see...

Lincoln
    Skyfall
    The Hobbit
    The Silver Linings Playbook
    Flight
    Life of Pi
    End of Watch

Movies I heard a lot about but won't see...

Les Miserables
    Frankenweenie
    Paranorman
    Magic Mike

Movie I downright loathed...

The Campaign
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
    Fat Kid Rules the World
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    edited January 2013
    Django
    Skyfall
    Jack Reacher
    Hunger Games
    Avengers
    Argo
    Dark Knight
    Looper
    The Raven
    Ted
    Resident Evil Retribution
    Cabin in the woods
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    I didn't get to see many, but Moonrise Kingdom was a great film (one of the best I've seen in a long time), The Dark Knight Rises was the only Nolan/Bale Batman that I liked (and I like it very much), and The Avengers was fun.

To Rome With Love was decent enough, probably better than most of the crap playing at the multiplexes, but Woody Allen has the misfortune of being judged against his previous work, and in that respect, this one was a stinker.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    brilliant year for movies:

flight
    the intouchables
    cloud atlas
    zero dark thirty
    life of pi
    silver linings
    hunger games
  • Wow I guess I didn't see movies enough this year! I think this is all of them, although there are a shit ton I want to see and have not made time yet.

The best of the lot:
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi
    Avengers
    Dark Knight Rises

Enjoyed These:
    Wreck It Ralph
    Hobbit
    Safe House
    John Carter
    Ted

Basic Garbage Fare, won't ever watch again:
    Amazing Spider Man
    Hunger Games
    Contraband
    Trouble With The Curve

Give me my two hours back!:
    Friends With Kids
    The Dictator
    Red Tails
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    being away the last few weeks - there are a few films i'd like to see that might make this list (django)

my favourites this year in no particular order (not including documentaries):

cloud atlas
    moonrise kingdom
    silver linings playbook
    beasts of the southern wild
    best exotic marigold hotel

my absolute worst film of the year:

man with the iron fists ...
  • Moonrise Kingdom
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    The Dark Knight
    Ted
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    polaris_x wrote:
    being away the last few weeks - there are a few films i'd like to see that might make this list (django)

my favourites this year in no particular order (not including documentaries):

cloud atlas
    moonrise kingdom
    silver linings playbook
    beasts of the southern wild
    best exotic marigold hotel

my absolute worst film of the year:

man with the iron fists ...

really liked best exotic marigold hotel..what a cast!
    dankind wrote:
    To Rome With Love was decent enough, probably better than most of the crap playing at the multiplexes, but Woody Allen has the misfortune of being judged against his previous work, and in that respect, this one was a stinker.

That's true.
  • PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
    Loved Moonrise Kingdom and Django Unchained.
    "I'll Ride the wave where it takes me. I'll Hold the pain. RELEASE ME!"

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    B-Rock wrote:
    Me and my mates sneak in to the cinemas every monday night (sometimes pay as its cheap monday night) so I've seen quite a bit.

Top 5
    The Hobbit
    Seven Psychopaths
    The Avengers
    Looper
    Dredd

Honourable Mentions
    Argo (Was in my top 5 originally)
    Prometheus
    21 Jump Street
    Wreck It Ralph
    Skyfall
    Cabin In The Woods
    Men In Black 3
    Ted
    The Man With THe Iron Fist
    The Grey
    The Watch

Worst Movies
    Gone
    Red Dawn
    Amazing Spiderman
    Savages

and sadly Dark Knight Rises was a mess. Should of been a 2 parter and less pretentious.

Seven Psychopaths was my favorite. I wish it would have stayed in the theaters longer.
    I will definitely need to buy when it's released.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Didnt see that many this year, but Les Mis was pretty Epic.
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    Wanted To See But Never Got Around To It:
    Bernie
    Jeff Who Lives At home

Don't bother they both came up very short and ended up being a waste of time.
    My butt itches!
    did anybody see killing them softly? we were going to double dip it on christmas, but it was pulled just before then.

i thought it looked good, but it was given mediocre reviews.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    81 wrote:
    did anybody see killing them softly? we were going to double dip it on christmas, but it was pulled just before then.

It was horrifically violent, bloody and full of gore. I give it 4 out of 5. :corn:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    81 wrote:

It was horrifically violent, bloody and full of gore. I give it 4 out of 5. :corn:

8-)

hopefully it will be on hbo or cinimax shortly
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    huh? its an average movie at best.the way you describe it i wonder if we watched the same movie? lol
    ajb
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Expendables 2
    21 Jump Street

Those were the only two I saw.
  • 81 wrote:

shown at cannes, and a brad pitt film. for me, i see those types of films based on those 2 facts alone. I thought it was a good movie. Not for the faint of heart. Brad Pitt and the director were grilled during cannes about the violence, and brad and the director seemed okay with it. They suggested the violence was cartoony, and deliberately fake looking. I also think violence was essential in the story and theme they were making

I thought this movie was essentially what Zero should have been. There were larger political points made throughout the movie. To me, the theme of the movie was that america is built on crime and it drives the economy. The use of obama and bush in the background in the cafe and bar scenes really hit home that point. And its a point i make often. Its ludicruous that people tell children to be nonviolent, and then the president lobs bombs and drones and tortures people. Kids pick up on that, and in my view its why alot of crime is committed, and although it isnt okay to do that stuff, im a pacifist myself and vehemently antiwar and violence, but as a sociologist, i see a connection between the outrageous nature of the news, and whats going on in families, what the president is doing, and the culture at large.

The point was subtle but brilliant. Having some violent scene, then having Bush or Obama talking about violence and war in the background on some tv, really was ingenious.
    81 wrote:

shown at cannes, and a brad pitt film. for me, i see those types of films based on those 2 facts alone. I thought it was a good movie. Not for the faint of heart. Brad Pitt and the director were grilled during cannes about the violence, and brad and the director seemed okay with it. They suggested the violence was cartoony, and deliberately fake looking. I also think violence was essential in the story and theme they were making

I thought this movie was essentially what Zero should have been. There were larger political points made throughout the movie. To me, the theme of the movie was that america is built on crime and it drives the economy. The use of obama and bush in the background in the cafe and bar scenes really hit home that point. And its a point i make often. Its ludicruous that people tell children to be nonviolent, and then the president lobs bombs and drones and tortures people. Kids pick up on that, and in my view its why alot of crime is committed, and although it isnt okay to do that stuff, im a pacifist myself and vehemently antiwar and violence, but as a sociologist, i see a connection between the outrageous nature of the news, and whats going on in families, what the president is doing, and the culture at large.

The point was subtle but brilliant. Having some violent scene, then having Bush or Obama talking about violence and war in the background on some tv, really was ingenious.

damn it, i hate political shit in movies....absolutely ruined machete for me.

i'll defiantly be keeping an eye for this tho....sounds like real folks generally like it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • i actually really liked Jeff Who lives at home. That character is essentially me, and i completely related to the film. Plus any film directed by the Duplass brothers is going to be awesome. Ive seen pretty much every single film they've been part of, and liked nearly every single one. Only one i didnt love was Cyrus.
  • Pap wrote:
    dankind wrote:

That's true.

whats funny is Midnight in Paris was one of the best films of 2011 and i think will fit in nicely with the many classics he's made.
    Anna Karenina
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    Pap wrote:
    dankind wrote:

That's true.

whats funny is Midnight in Paris was one of the best films of 2011 and i think will fit in nicely with the many classics he's made.

Absolutely. When you are as productive as Woody Allen is (basically, a film a year) and have made some of best films of the past 50 years, some of them are not going to stand up to your previous work, epecially when the last film you made was a masterpiece such as Midnight in Paris. (Vonnegut wrote some stinkers when measured against his other books, but they were still great reads.)

Like I said, I think To Rome With Love was probably better than most of the films that came out this year, and I enjoyed it as much as any other movie I saw this year, with the exception of Moonrise Kingdom, which really got to me.

Woody Allen is far from obsolete, as recent films such as Midnight in Paris, Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Match Point prove, and he's 77 years old!

When Blue Jasmine is released, you can bet I'll be seeing it on opening weekend.

Long live the Woodman!
    I SAW PEARL JAM