Options

Predictions for Tonight: Marine Recruiting or No Marine Recruiting

LarryLegendLarryLegend Posts: 35
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Any predictions on whether or not they will be back tonight after Ed's fits on Saturday?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shotseeeshotseee Posts: 7
    I'm sure it will take a little more to scare the Marines away than little eddie vedders rants and raves ;)
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,360
    Having been a Navy recruiter for 3 years (against my will), I can tell you, the Marines will be there in full force tonight, especially if Ed gave them shit about it. They'll have all their enlistees there in Marine Tees handing out swag.

It's just the way they roll.
  • Options
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    Having been a Navy recruiter for 3 years (against my will), I can tell you, the Marines will be there in full force tonight, especially if Ed gave them shit about it. They'll have all their enlistees there in Marine Tees handing out swag.

No doubt!

Was thinking more about whether or not the band and/or their management would be pushing the venue not to have them on the grounds during their performance. Was an odd choice to have recruiting stations set-up during a performance of a band with a strong anti-war stance.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Any predictions on whether or not they will be back tonight after Ed's fits on Saturday?

I'd be surprised if PJ could keep them away but I also thought it was rather repulsive that the recruiters were there.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    shotseeeshotseee Posts: 7
    justam wrote:
    I'd be surprised if PJ could keep them away but I also thought it was rather repulsive that the recruiters were there.

Repulsive? These are the guys that make it possible for eddie to talk freely about hating the war/president/government
  • Options
    Left PorchLeft Porch Posts: 837
    Marines aren't gonna back down from PJ, no way no how. Personally I prefer concerts when Eddie stays off the whole politics subject, but his right I suppose.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    justam wrote:

That's a ridiculous statement, these guys have a job, they are doing their job. What exactly was repulsive about it?
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Left Porch wrote:
    That's a ridiculous statement, these guys have a job, they are doing their job. What exactly was repulsive about it?

I'm a mother with two sons. I'd be madder than hell if one of them came home from a concert as a teenager and told me that someone talked them into joining the marines.

I don't like the ads on TV, and I don't like them at the High schools. It's something I feel very strongly about.

Young people should not be persuaded when they are on their own to turn their lives over to someone else.

I didn't spend years pouring love and care into my sons to have someone take their lives away.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Luckily we all have the right to say "no thanks" to their recruiting efforts, just as we can say no to beer and pricey concert merch!

Seeing a recruiter at a concert is a far better alternative to a draft!

Let the servicemen do their job...no one is forced to join.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Luckily we all have the right to say "no thanks" to their recruiting efforts, just as we can say no to beer and pricey concert merch!

Seeing a recruiter at a concert is a far better alternative to a draft!

Let the servicemen do their job...no one is forced to join.

Well, I agree with you that it is better than the draft. Let's leave it at that. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    justam wrote:
    Well, I agree with you that it is better than the draft. Let's leave it at that. :)

Fair enough!
    :)
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Let's hope Ed doesn't let it get under his skin again.
  • Options
    I think the issue is that the Marines are using a band who are anti-war and has spoken out about deceptive recruiting practices to drive prospective recruits.

As far as Eddie speaking out, I think he has worn his politics on his sleeve for at least the last decade and anyone that is big enough a fan to be on this message board knows exactly you are getting.

Also, I imagine that the venue is making a lot more from Pearl Jam being there then they are from the Marines being there.
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I'm a mother with two sons. I'd be madder than hell if one of them came home from a concert as a teenager and told me that someone talked them into joining the marines.

I don't like the ads on TV, and I don't like them at the High schools. It's something I feel very strongly about.

Young people should not be persuaded when they are on their own to turn their lives over to someone else.

I didn't spend years pouring love and care into my sons to have someone take their lives away.

The minimum age to join the marines is 17 with parental permission 18 without. People need to be able to make decisions for themselves, an 18 year old is not a child. Their are plenty of people out there from poor areas who haven't had love poured into them at any point in their lives, who have joined any branch of the military after seeing an ad on TV (or possibly even meeting a recruiter outside of a concert) and made something of themselves when most likely they might not have. You sound like a great parent and that's admirable, but joining the marines does not mean automatic death, and their are plenty of great life changing things that can come from it. They are just getting their message out there. I felt repulsive was a pretty strong word to use.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Left Porch wrote:
    The minimum age to join the marines is 17 with parental permission 18 without. People need to be able to make decisions for themselves, an 18 year old is not a child. Their are plenty of people out there from poor areas who haven't had love poured into them at any point in their lives, who have joined any branch of the military after seeing an ad on TV (or possibly even meeting a recruiter outside of a concert) and made something of themselves when most likely they might not have. You sound like a great parent and that's admirable, but joining the marines does not mean automatic death, and their are plenty of great life changing things that can come from it. They are just getting their message out there. I felt repulsive was a pretty strong word to use.

Its also worth mentioning that joining the Marines is not the same thing as supporting the Iraq war.
  • Options
    Left Porch wrote:

Intellectually, I know that these things you mention are true, but I have that strong emotional response because I love my kids.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Its also worth mentioning that joining the Marines is not the same thing as supporting the Iraq war.

true.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Left Porch wrote:
    100% true.

Not entirely. Argument is that you can't fight a war without soldiers. Without new recruits, the ability to support this war significantly diminishes. In addition, you know your chances are strong that you will be serving in the Middle East.

It's not the same thing, but certainly is quite related.
  • Options
    Not entirely. Argument is that you can't fight a war without soldiers. Without new recruits, the ability to support this war significantly diminishes. In addition, you know your chances are strong that you will be serving in the Middle East.

It's not the same thing, but certainly is quite related.

Yeah i took the 100 percent part out after I thought about the whole thing. By joining the marines you know that during a time of war you will in all likelihood be fighting that war. If it's impossible for you to fight in a war that you don't support than obviously, the marines would not be for you.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    piombapiomba Posts: 103
    i am sure that the marines are paying to be there just like any other vendor and will be there tonight. and what is so wrong with them being there in the first place... those people defend our contry no questions asked. that being said, looking forward to tonight.
  • Options
    shotseee wrote:
    Repulsive? These are the guys that make it possible for eddie to talk freely about hating the war/president/government

Exactly - Believe me, I don't love the fact that I have great friends in Iraq that are risking their lives, but I certainly respect them for allowing us to have the freedom's that we do.
    ~~How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand.

2003 Tampa, Atlanta, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Albany, Buffalo, State College, Bonner Springs, Council Bluffs, DC, Camden I & II, MSG I 2006 Albany, Hartford, Camden I & II, 2008 Hartford, Mansfield I
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    Tough issue. There's teh whole support the military vs. support the war thing. The band has been clear that it supports the members of the military, but strongly opposes the war. That is consistent. That said, Ed has a valid gripe with the choice of recruiting venue. He understandably doesn't want to be connected to the recruitment. And even though the military has a right to be there too, I get why Ed would be pissed at them recruiting at a Pearl Jam show.

Throw in there the combatting free speech rights, and you have a little bit of a tinder box.

Ultimately though, I think it's as simple as Ed not wanting them to do it at his show. And I get that. I see a revision to the rider coming for the next tour. No military recruiting at the venue. That's my guess.

Edit: They can't change the rider for the next show. I meant the next tour.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    justam wrote:

Basically what Ed said at Berkeley, and I to find it disturbing that the military is allowed on these site's, especially schools to brainwash kids into joining. Bush may call this an all voluntary military, but what about stop loss, sounds like backdoor draft to me
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Tough issue. There's teh whole support the military vs. support the war thing. The band has been clear that it supports the members of the military, but strongly opposes the war. That is consistent. That said, Ed has a valid gripe with the choice of recruiting venue. He understandably doesn't want to be connected to the recruitment. And even though the military has a right to be there too, I get why Ed would be pissed at them recruiting at a Pearl Jam show.

Throw in there the combatting free speech rights, and you have a little bit of a tinder box.

Ultimately though, I think it's as simple as Ed not wanting them to do it at his show. And I get that. I see a revision to the rider coming for the next show. No military recruiting at the venue. That's my guess.

Well said. Imagine if LiveNation rented the facility to a group like the Promisekeepers and you had Planned Parenthood & NORML on the grounds. (Of course, LiveNation which is a spin-off of Clear Channel would never do that.)

This isn't about whether or not our soldiers are brave or they are serving honorably, but rather how recruits are being deployed, deceptive recruitment practices, stop-lose policy, care provided after discharge, etc.
  • Options
    No Recruiters.
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Basically what Ed said at Berkeley, and I to find it disturbing that the military is allowed on these site's, especially schools to brainwash kids into joining. Bush may call this an all voluntary military, but what about stop loss, sounds like backdoor draft to me

Allowed? They have as much of a right to be there as the band. If the band can't handle something that is counter to what they espouse, then they need to re-examine what they preach. Theirs is not the only voice out there and if they really want to be heard, then they should let others be heard as well. That is what really troubles me about this band and a number of its fans. They come off hypocritical at times.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    what a night out.... Pearl Jam and marine recruitment.... no one could ask for more fun :)
  • Options
    No Recruiters.

At least Ed was in a better mood, apparently.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    TrAvELAr wrote:

:eek: holy fucking shite, is this for real? Who the fuck goes to a rock concert and comes home in the marines? That's an absolute fucking joke... soulless bastards :mad:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    piomba wrote:
    i am sure that the marines are paying to be there just like any other vendor and will be there tonight. and what is so wrong with them being there in the first place... those people defend our contry no questions asked. that being said, looking forward to tonight.
    :confused: defend your country? Huh? I thought they're all in Iraq... that's pretty fucking far away for them to be able to defend you, isnt' it?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you