Options

A Perfect Circle

13»

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    Have always loved Mer de Noms but the rest of their records have been extremely disappointing to me!  The amazing guitar riffs on Mer de Noms are nowhere to be found on any of their other records!
    I like 13th Step more then MDN to be honest. 13th seems to have a better flow from start to finish... it's perfection IMO.
    I’m with you on that. I am not a fan of elephant though. A few good tunes but nothing more 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    nicknyr15 said:
    Have always loved Mer de Noms but the rest of their records have been extremely disappointing to me!  The amazing guitar riffs on Mer de Noms are nowhere to be found on any of their other records!
    I like 13th Step more then MDN to be honest. 13th seems to have a better flow from start to finish... it's perfection IMO.
    I’m with you on that. I am not a fan of elephant though. A few good tunes but nothing more 
    I had similar feelings about ETE, but realized it's grown on me I don't love Disillusioned or Contrarian, but hearing them live (again) last week has given me a new perspective. 

Also, seeing them again reminded me how powerful some of their stuff is live. I hope this Sessanta tour leads to more music & touring from them. (w/ Josh Freese, I hope... he really is a game changer for them... I'll see any incarnation of APC if Billy & Maynard are there, but JF takes them to a whole other level). 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Even though it's still Billy and Maynard writing everything, Eat the Elephant felt way closer to Puscifer than those first two APC records to me. Maybe the other band members really make a difference in how it's played? Or maybe it's all in my head? 

I also think Maynard's vocal situation has more of an impact here than Tool even. He really pushed his voice on the old albums and I think that really distinguished the project.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Man I didn't realize how long it's been since the last APC tour. It's notable that even then no Orestes, funky 3 Libras, and Counting Bodies vs. Pet. Regardless, Sessanta really left me craving another full APC tour.
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 826
    Maynard was talking to Carson Daly and said that he really pushed the envelope of what he could do vocally with APC and he's not good at doing it live. You can find it on YouTube.

Yeah I didn't dig ETE either. Too keys heavy for me-felt like a different band especially without Josh. Some good stuff though-I loved Fish and the Contrarian. Talk Talk has the same vocal bit as the end of Jambi though. Deja vu (well deja entendu to be picky).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    edited April 13

consistent theme. . incredibly accurate depiction of addiction  imo.  my assessment is rooted in lived experience....

edit to add: the record not so subtly references needle use(I read heroin),  that was not me, but the drug or method is irrelevant.  The behaviors, the drivers, the internal emptiness are universal among those like me.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    Glad you are with us now Mr Rat. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    13th step has been on regular rotation for some time.
    drawn to it.

it now has a deeper poignancy, a more profoundl truth. My best fried of some 40 yrs was found yesterday. Died at 55 of an OD after not quite 4 yrs and 5 months of sobriety
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    mickeyrat said:
    13th step has been on regular rotation for some time.
    drawn to it.

it now has a deeper poignancy, a more profoundl truth. My best fried of some 40 yrs was found yesterday. Died at 55 of an OD after not quite 4 yrs and 5 months of sobriety
    I’m so sorry, Mick.