Options

gang rape victim dies

2»

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892
    [I'm sorry for this Mickey.
    I do appreciate that, but I shared to show we all know damned little about each others lives. How some off hand unthoughtout response could affect others.

I'm just fucking baffled at the level of callousness shown by some in many topics. But for that one , in this case at least, I would have thought there would be some kind of empathy. Shouldnt have overlooked the not so subtle racism and bigotry that I see in the posts from that person.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    aerial wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:
    Rape is a big problem in India.

Did you just make that up?

Are Indians also all sodomites and pedophiles, like all Muslims?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

Total Cases of recorded rape in 2010

India: 22172

U.S: 84767

Per Capita - Rate per 100,000 population in 2010:

India: 1.8

U.S: 27.3

Google it!

Google what? Google the fact that the U.S has a rape problem twenty times worse than that of India? I don't need to Google it. I already did.
    Can you not read?
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    Rape is a big problem in India. Another corrupt government...
    Was it the penis or the man that caused this crime?

so the last comment wasn't a pitiful attempt at equating a man's penis with a gun?

disgusting.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Google what? Google the fact that the U.S has a rape problem twenty times worse than that of India? I don't need to Google it. I already did.
    Can you not read?

I don't mean to be overly critical, but the same Wikipedia article you've cited clearly states that there are major issues with those statistics with as many as 90% of all rapes going unreported. In cultures where rape is largely accepted or offenders are rarely prosecuted, wouldn't it stand to reason that acts of rape are reported far less than in cultures where offenders stand a better chance of being convicted?

I'm not going to profess any expertise on this issue, nor am I going to suggest that the United States does not have its own problems with rape but I think you are being disingenuous with your comparison of rape in the US and rape in India. The Wikipedia article on rape culture has a large piece dedicated to the purported systematic problems faced by India in regards to sexual crimes against women. Again, I don't profess any expertise here but it seems to me that India has some real problems with sex crimes that you are deliberately downplaying.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Can you not read?

I don't mean to be overly critical, but the same Wikipedia article you've cited clearly states that there are major issues with those statistics with as many as 90% of all rapes going unreported. In cultures where rape is largely accepted or offenders are rarely prosecuted, wouldn't it stand to reason that acts of rape are reported far less than in cultures where offenders stand a better chance of being convicted?

I'm not going to profess any expertise on this issue, nor am I going to suggest that the United States does not have its own problems with rape but I think you are being disingenuous with your comparison of rape in the US and rape in India. The Wikipedia article on rape culture has a large piece dedicated to the purported systematic problems faced by India in regards to sexual crimes against women. Again, I don't profess any expertise here but it seems to me that India has some real problems with sex crimes that you are deliberately downplaying.

Are 90% of all unreported rapes confined to India, or is this statistic applicable across the globe?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    im so sorry for this girl
    and so sorry Mickey

im not wasting time to comment to the troll..not worth it
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Are 90% of all unreported rapes confined to India, or is this statistic applicable across the globe?

From my admittedly limited understanding, rape statistics are horribly unreliable around the world due to underreporting and women feeling marginalized within society. Still, I find it interesting that you rip others for relying on untrustworthy statistics and news sources but you're taking such a hard line here. I know that certain posters really aggravate you but it seems you are deliberately downplaying a legitimate societal issue to prove a point.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

From my admittedly limited understanding, rape statistics are horribly unreliable around the world due to underreporting and women feeling marginalized within society. Still, I find it interesting that you rip others for relying on untrustworthy statistics and news sources but you're taking such a hard line here. I know that certain posters really aggravate you but it seems you are deliberately downplaying a legitimate societal issue to prove a point.

I haven't downplayed anything. I provided the statistics as documented by the U.N. I never claimed they were 100% full-proof accurate, but that doesn't mean that they are completely unreliable either.
    There are differences between the cultures of the U.S and India with regards to the treatment of women, and women's rights, but that doesn't mean we can just dismiss the findings of the U.N and try turning them on their head. The fact is, neither you or I know enough about this issue, and especially about India, to make any sweeping judgements.

Aerial came out with the following:
    aerial wrote:

..while conveniently failing to mention that according to the U.N's stats, rape is 20 times worse in the U.S. Though of course it's always easier to paint countries we know nothing about as being uncivilized and corrupt, especially when such notions feed into someone's already existing bigotry and xenophobia.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    It's disgusting. And it's clear that more than 1 country has problems with rape.

Per the statistics I read here, in the US over half of rapes are not reported. That is crazy to think about. And that is the first problem that needs fixin. Gotta protect the victims and take away the scarlet letter we seem to like to attach to victims of race all too often. If that number gets closer to 100%, the number of rapes will start to diminish.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I do appreciate that, but I shared to show we all know damned little about each others lives. How some off hand unthoughtout response could affect others.

I'm just fucking baffled at the level of callousness shown by some in many topics. But for that one , in this case at least, I would have thought there would be some kind of empathy. Shouldnt have overlooked the not so subtle racism and bigotry that I see in the posts from that person.

I am sorry for your loss.....more so I am Very sorry for the pain your sister suffered. You are right, we know little about each other here.........Let me tell you how true that statement is. Long story short....
    As I stated I AM a women and I KNOW first hand how abusive and sick men can be....My first few rapes happened at age 5 and 6. Committed by a male babysitter.....I know it was more than once but I could not say exactly how many times it was. My second rape was at age 24 by a friend that was taking me home from a club, yes I had been drinking....I woke up in his bed with him on top of me. Third rape at age 38. I was at a friends house fell asleep on the couch and woke up to her friend ( a married man) doing me while other men were watching. I was drugged.
    My doctor says I have a high tolerance for mayhem. That is how I survived this life, and the fact that I did get to spend summers at my Aunts house and had 3 months of normalcy through my childhood. She also took me to Sunday school in those summers I stayed with her. I feel this is how I became so tolerant.
    I grew up in an abusive home starting at age 5, my brother and I were beat, tortured, and verbally abused for nine years. Socially services were called by family members but nothing was done.

So the comment was no more insensitive than the comments made by those that don't care that someone died taking pictures of Beibers Car..
    My statement did relate to guns. Wish I had had a gun when my rapes occurred. But then again I am sure I would have been told I deserved it.......by other men that feel it is there right to stick there penis were ever they damned well please......PS .....I never reported these rape. Pushed them back as far as I could until my Granddaughter turned five (I was 45) and everything came back. I would look at her and wonder how anyone could do the things I endured to such a beautiful innocent little girl....

I still think it is the Men that do the raping and not the Penis.....and I can Fucking say what I want on this Subject!!!!!
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892
    aerial wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I am sorry for your loss.....more so I am Very sorry for the pain your sister suffered. You are right, we know little about each other here.........Let me tell you how true that statement is. Long story short....
    As I stated I AM a women and I KNOW first hand how abusive and sick men can be....My first few rapes happened at age 5 and 6. Committed by a male babysitter.....I know it was more than once but I could not say exactly how many times it was. My second rape was at age 24 by a friend that was taking me home from a club, yes I had been drinking....I woke up in his bed with him on top of me. Third rape at age 38. I was at a friends house fell asleep on the couch and woke up to her friend ( a married man) doing me while other men were watching. I was drugged.
    My doctor says I have a high tolerance for mayhem. That is how I survived this life, and the fact that I did get to spend summers at my Aunts house and had 3 months of normalcy through my childhood. She also took me to Sunday school in those summers I stayed with her. I feel this is how I became so tolerant.
    I grew up in an abusive home starting at age 5, my brother and I were beat, tortured, and verbally abused for nine years. Socially services were called by family members but nothing was done.

So the comment was no more insensitive than the comments made by those that don't care that someone died taking pictures of Beibers Car..
    My statement did relate to guns. Wish I had had a gun when my rapes occurred. But then again I am sure I would have been told I deserved it.......by other men that feel it is there right to stick there penis were ever they damned well please......PS .....I never reported these rape. Pushed them back as far as I could until my Granddaughter turned five (I was 45) and everything came back. I would look at her and wonder how anyone could do the things I endured to such a beautiful innocent little girl....

I still think it is the Men that do the raping and not the Penis.....and I can Fucking say what I want on this Subject!!!!!
    I'm sorry that you have had to endure what you did.

.Yes, you can say what you want on any subject, but so can we. I still fail to see how, given what you have just shared, you could be as seemingly insensitive to this subject as a whole. While understandable certainly, you seem to look to revenge rather than changing whats actually wrong here. That is a male attitude that women are less than and that any of this kind of atrocity is tolerable.

It must have been overwhelming to have all those memories rush back as they did. I hope you have the courage to seek help in processing all that happened.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

I haven't downplayed anything. I provided the statistics as documented by the U.N. I never claimed they were 100% full-proof accurate, but that doesn't mean that they are completely unreliable either.
    There are differences between the cultures of the U.S and India with regards to the treatment of women, and women's rights, but that doesn't mean we can just dismiss the findings of the U.N and try turning them on their head. The fact is, neither you or I know enough about this issue, and especially about India, to make any sweeping judgements.

aerial wrote:

..while conveniently failing to mention that according to the U.N's stats, rape is 20 times worse in the U.S. Though of course it's always easier to paint countries we know nothing about as being uncivilized and corrupt, especially when such notions feed into someone's already existing bigotry and xenophobia.

ahhh here is were we misunderstand each other......You trust the UN.....I do not!
    I was not saying I hate India and you know that, you just love to label people with your new found phobia words...
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

aerial wrote:

I'm still having a difficult time understanding your position. You've stated that you and I lack the requisite knowledge to make sweeping judgements on this issue yet you've repeatedly redirected the conversation towards a set of incomplete or partially flawed statistics simply to admonish the United States, a nation which has absolutely nothing to do with this event. If you're going to cite the UN, then what about Navi Pillay's recent comments demanding legal reform in India in the wake of this recent tragedy? I'm uncertain if I come across as being xenophobic or bigoted to you or not, but surely the High Commissioner for Human Rights at the UN has a more balanced informed and balanced point of view on this issue.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=43862&Cr=india&Cr1=#.UORpS2j3BN1

While I may lack a mature understanding of this subject, I'm curious as to how the United States plays into the issue whatsoever. How do America's problems relate to the problems that may or may not be prominent in India? It seems to me that the crux of your argument is that nobody from the America can speak on this issue or show their disapproval because they bare a larger shame.
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    My statement did relate to guns.

that's what we thought.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

that's what we thought.

If people on the Train were not so willing to jump the gun (no pun intended....really) and throw around your judgment of others you would have understood what the point was.
    For those that still do not understand.......There are a lot of sick people in this world and they will use what ever they can to hurt others...
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

that's what we thought.

If people on the Train were not so willing to jump the gun (no pun intended....really) and throw around your judgment of others you would have understood what the point was.
    For those that still do not understand.......There are a lot of sick people in this world and they will use what ever they can to hurt others...

you made an obvious correlation between a man's penis and a gun, which was transparent. your history is none of my business, and given the comment that you made, in my opinion was not your intent. the agenda was clear. I did not jump any gun. you were either going off topic or baiting. I don't care which. But expect to be called out when either is occuring.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    It's disgusting. And it's clear that more than 1 country has problems with rape.

Per the statistics I read here, in the US over half of rapes are not reported. That is crazy to think about. And that is the first problem that needs fixin. Gotta protect the victims and take away the scarlet letter we seem to like to attach to victims of race all too often. If that number gets closer to 100%, the number of rapes will start to diminish.
    Exactly. This isn't a question of whether the US or India has a worse problem with rape. We both do. Many, many countries do. When horrific situations like this come out in the news, they get a lot of attention, as they should. Sometimes they can result in major reforms with regard to laws, services, attitudes. That is great when that happens. The danger is when people look to one country, in this case India, and point to them having a big problem with rape, forgetting that most of us do in our home countries as well. A similar thing happened after the Jerry Sandusky case at Penn State came to light. Everyone was outraged by the coverup that occurred there. I can tell you that unfortunately that kind of coverup happens all the time at colleges and universities, to the point that new guidance of how to handle these cases was released by the White House last year requiring major changes in the handling of these cases.

With 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men being the victim of an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime, most of us reading this forum have either been directly impacted or have a close relationship with someone who has been impacted by rape or sexual abuse. Thank you to mickeyrat and aerial for being courageous enough to share your experiences and bringing that point home. I wish for lots of healing for both of you.

When I mentioned a "rape culture" earlier it wasn't to point a finger at India, but to look at the factors worldwide that prevent victims from seeking help. There are reasons that rape is used as a weapon of war, reasons it's used as a means of control in abusive relationships. Each country may have their own unique way of shifting the responsibility and blame from the perpetrator to the victim; this may be in the form of laws (that may be lacking), the way investigations are handled, cultural attitudes, victim blaming (in a variety of ways). Just look at the Sandusky trial and how they painted the victims as wanting money and notoriety. Imagine being a survivor and having to repeatedly tell your story again and again and then have to face your rapist while a lawyer rips apart your story (maybe because your story has changed, as it will with trauma because of how the brain processes it) and rips apart your character and uses some of the ways you may have coped (drugs/alcohol/promiscuity/suicide attempts/running away, etc) as a means to paint you as not credible. Sure the press will probably keep your identity private, but it's probably not hard for many people to figure out that it's you. And then the public will try to discredit you too (whether it's by pointing to the fact that you were drinking or dressed a certain way or didn't tell someone right away), so that they can pretend something like this will never happen to them or someone they love.

There is a lot that goes into shaming survivors and keeping them quiet. It needs to stop - the world over.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

Hugh Dillion wrote...that's what we thought.

Arieal wrote........If people on the Train were not so willing to jump the gun (no pun intended....really) and throw around your judgment of others you would have understood what the point was.

"Hugh Dillion wrote.......you made an obvious correlation between a man's penis and a gun, which was transparent. your history is none of my business, and given the comment that you made, in my opinion was not your intent. the agenda was clear. I did not jump any gun. you were either going off topic or baiting. I don't care which. But expect to be called out when either is occuring.

Aerial wrote.......My history was to show Mickyrat I am not talking out my ass when rape is discussed.....and no other reason.......call me out but don't act like you know me! In my defense I was on topic.....this was a crime......Rape is a crime using the penis as a weapon. This site is for discussions ......if you only want condolences let that be known at first post....
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

Arieal wrote........If people on the Train were not so willing to jump the gun (no pun intended....really) and throw around your judgment of others you would have understood what the point was.

"Hugh Dillion wrote.......you made an obvious correlation between a man's penis and a gun, which was transparent. your history is none of my business, and given the comment that you made, in my opinion was not your intent. the agenda was clear. I did not jump any gun. you were either going off topic or baiting. I don't care which. But expect to be called out when either is occuring.

Aerial wrote.......My history was to show Mickyrat I am not talking out my ass when rape is discussed.....and no other reason.......call me out but don't act like you know me! In my defense I was on topic.....this was a crime......Rape is a crime using the penis as a weapon. This site is for discussions ......if you only want condolences let that be known at first post....

I don't know you........that's my whole point. Don't get all hot and bothered about something personal when no one knows you and you can't expect them to know you. All people can comment on is your post and your history of posts.

I'm not arguing about your history. You can post your personal shit all you want. It's not going to make me back down on my original position, that you used this thread to make a point about gun control.

Condolences? I have no idea what you mean by that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    So... after having their way with her and tossing her off the bus... the 'he-men' tried to run her over. Presumably because they were mad she bit three of them while trying to ward off their attack. Just animals.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/indi ... r-victim-1

I'm okay with simply releasing these men and allowing the hordes to do what they will. I truly am.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    So... after having their way with her and tossing her off the bus... the 'he-men' tried to run her over. Presumably because they were mad she bit three of them while trying to ward off their attack. Just animals.

I'm okay with simply releasing these men and allowing the hordes to do what they will. I truly am.

I agree...
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

I don't know you........that's my whole point. Don't get all hot and bothered about something personal when no one knows you and you can't expect them to know you. All people can comment on is your post and your history of posts.

I'm not arguing about your history. You can post your personal shit all you want. It's not going to make me back down on my original position, that you used this thread to make a point about gun control.

The only thing I get hot and bothered about is when people get mean by calling others names that are meant to hurt. When they do not even know the person.
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

I agree...

Commonality. Yesss!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

The only thing I get hot and bothered about is when people get mean by calling others names that are meant to hurt. When they do not even know the person.

Mickyrat expected me to know him..... hypocrisy at work
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

no he didn't. he expected you to have respect for sensitivity of the thread instead of trying to make it about gun control. it dimished it.

and who called you a hurtful name? I didn't see that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

no he didn't. he expected you to have respect for sensitivity of the thread instead of trying to make it about gun control. it dimished it.

Thirty Bills ......called me an Ass
    Micky rat ...called me a racist and a bigot which a lot of you do when someone does not agree with you....
    he also felt I should censor my opinion and my post... he post" we all know damned little about each others lives. How some off hand unthoughtout response could affect others". Yet his
    thought out" name calling is okay? ...just more hypocrisy.....
    Should I have followed your example of sensitivity? When you posted on the Beiber paparazzi guy getting run over? How do you know that someones friend or relative is not paparazzi, or got ran over by a car?
    How could I not be sensitive about a rape victim when I am a rape victim? Some people on here just try to spin everything............
    They killed this girl with a pipe, her intestines had to be removed......how sick.......more sick than using a gun!
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:

Thirty Bills ......called me an Ass
    Micky rat ...called me a racist and a bigot which a lot of you do when someone does not agree with you....
    he also felt I should censor my opinion and my post... he post" we all know damned little about each others lives. How some off hand unthoughtout response could affect others". Yet his
    thought out" name calling is okay? ...just more hypocrisy.....
    Should I have followed your example of sensitivity? When you posted on the Beiber paparazzi guy getting run over? How do you know that someones friend or relative is not paparazzi, or got ran over by a car?
    How could I not be sensitive about a rape victim when I am a rape victim? Some people on here just try to spin everything............
    They killed this girl with a pipe, her intestines had to be removed......how sick.......more sick than using a gun!

did I try to make the bieber thread about something it wasn't to push an agenda? NOPE. that was my point. my only point. stop making it about you. I never made it about you. You did.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Closed for review.

It doesn't seem like this topic could be discussed peacefully moving forward now. It would help if people gave other people the benefit of the doubt here. Not knowing each other, all you have to go by is the printed word but even then, sometimes people don't choose their words carefully or they have a whole headful of thoughts behind what they wrote. You might question...explore a statement and ask...did you mean such and such...and why?

This thread is done for now. No restarting without requesting it from a mod.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.