What did you get for Christmas?

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,425
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Damn, nobody started this thread yet?
Every year, for 10 years, I enjoy coming here, and reading what all you kiddies received for Christmas.
So, lets hear it.

What was under the tree this year?
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My wife got me No code and yield on vinyl! :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • My wife got me No code and yield on vinyl! :D
    Very nice!
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    My neighbor got me what he called a "Rock & Roll Care Package". It had "The T.A.M.I. Show" and "The Who Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970" on DVD (I've had the latter on CD since '96 but never had the movie), The Who's "Live At Hull" on CD, a cool little guitar tuner that clips to the head and works by vibration, and a little The Who BIC lighter. Normally we just exchange gift cards, but this year he decided to play Santa, and I feel like an asshole.

I also got The Who's "Live In Texas '75", which I'm not impressed with, from my brother. I got a lot of Who stuff this year, which is odd because I'd say they're not in my top 10 favorite bands. I did ask for Texas '75, but that's all. Glad to have the Isle Of Wight DVD though, I've always enjoyed that album. Haven't watched it yet, hoping the quality is better than Texas, I'm sure the sound will be since the album sounded great.

The T.A.M.I. Show is my favorite though, I just watched it a little while ago. Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, James Brown, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gay, The Supremes, Gerry & The Pacemakers and The Rolling Stones all performing on the same show. Good stuff. I had seen the Stones stuff on YouTube prior, but seeing the whole show, especially the legendary James Brown And The Famous Flames performance, was really awesome.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Didn't get anything worth shit.

Once again...

:lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I don't like gifts. Don't know why but I just don't. However I did receive a Kindle, a bunch of clothes that I won't wear and money. The money I'll keep but the rest is going back.
  • I got an engraved pen that has a flash drive in it. My Dad bought it for me. My initials are engraved on the pen and on the case it came in. It's really nice.

A couple of books: '100 Yards of Glory: The Greatest Moments in NFL History' & 'Listening In: The Secret White House Recordings of John F. Kennedy', which includes 2 1/2 hours of audio.

$50 iTunes card I used to buy the audio book 'Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy', by Vincent Bugliosi.

$50 NFL gift card which I will use to buy a couple more NFL mini replica helmets to add to my collection.

A cup holder power port for the car, which recharges up to 4 mobile devices at a time.

CREW cologne.

Beatles stuff.

Star Wars stuff.

Stuff for my phone.

Other stuff.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    I got an engraved pen that has a flash drive in it. My Dad bought it for me. My initials are engraved on the pen and on the case it came in. It's really nice.

A couple of books: '100 Yards of Glory: The Greatest Moments in NFL History' & 'Listening In: The Secret White House Recordings of John F. Kennedy', which includes 2 1/2 hours of audio.

$50 iTunes card I used to buy the audio book 'Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy', by Vincent Bugliosi.

$50 NFL gift card which I will use to buy a couple more NFL mini replica helmets to add to my collection.

A cup holder power port for the car, which recharges up to 4 mobile devices at a time.

CREW cologne.

Beatles stuff.

Star Wars stuff.

Stuff for my phone.

Other stuff.

Sweet haul

• Sweet haul

I'm spoiled! :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • a lot of great gifts this years, from friends and family..thank you ALL :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Geez.
    Times must be tough.
    Only 3-4 kiddies here received gifts?

:P
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Starbucks Gift Cards
    Wine and Wine Glasses

Mini Leg Lamp for my office
  • Bottle of Risata Moscato
    Bottle of Jagermeister
    Case of Spotted Cow
    Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day'' cd/dvd
    Gift card for Joey Gerard's Bartolotta restaurant
    Bottle of Crown Royal
    Nephew home on leave from the navy for 2 weeks. :mrgreen:
  • Bottle of Risata Moscato
    Bottle of Jagermeister
    Case of Spotted Cow
    Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day'' cd/dvd
    Gift card for Joey Gerard's Bartolotta restaurant
    Bottle of Crown Royal
    Nephew home on leave from the navy for 2 weeks. :mrgreen:
    Very nice!
    Santa was good to you.
  • The Black Keys - El Camino
    Gift card
    Money
    Wine glasses
    Sports game for Nintendo Wii
  • Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day'' cd/dvd

Me too!

And my daughter brought it all the way from Los Angeles when she came home to visit for Christmas,
    which was, by far, my best Christmas gift of all.

Merry Christmas Patrick :P
    Nice shirt.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    One bourbon (Black Maple Hill Limited), one scotch (The Macallan 18) and one beer (Brooklyn Lager).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    edited December 2012
    Fender Jag-Stang
    Beats Mixr Headphones (these things sound awesome)
    Trip to Montreal with the girlfriend.
    Starbucks mug from my best friend (I commented on someones facebook about it months ago and she tracked one down).
    Post edited by keeponrockin on
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • My neighbor got me what he called a "Rock & Roll Care Package". It had "The T.A.M.I. Show" and "The Who Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970" on DVD (I've had the latter on CD since '96 but never had the movie), The Who's "Live At Hull" on CD, a cool little guitar tuner that clips to the head and works by vibration, and a little The Who BIC lighter. Normally we just exchange gift cards, but this year he decided to play Santa, and I feel like an asshole.

I also got The Who's "Live In Texas '75", which I'm not impressed with, from my brother. I got a lot of Who stuff this year, which is odd because I'd say they're not in my top 10 favorite bands. I did ask for Texas '75, but that's all. Glad to have the Isle Of Wight DVD though, I've always enjoyed that album. Haven't watched it yet, hoping the quality is better than Texas, I'm sure the sound will be since the album sounded great.

The T.A.M.I. Show is my favorite though, I just watched it a little while ago. Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, James Brown, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gay, The Supremes, Gerry & The Pacemakers and The Rolling Stones all performing on the same show. Good stuff. I had seen the Stones stuff on YouTube prior, but seeing the whole show, especially the legendary James Brown And The Famous Flames performance, was really awesome.
    Well, you definitely got the Who stuff! I had you pegged as more of a Stones guy. :lol:

Sorry you don't like that Houston 75 show. I have a lot of affection for that one, partly because I came very close to going to that show, and partly because that was the tour that I saw them for the first time. What's rare in the Houston show is Pete performing However Much I Booze. It was the opening show of the tour and they usually took a few nights to get things right. Very similar set list when I first saw them. I love that they were still doing Roadrunner in those days.

The TAMI show sounds awesome. Love all that old R&B, especially the early Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    BookBook-for-iPad-mini-1.jpg
  • As far as my own swag, this will sound really corny. I think I got fewer actual gifts than I can remember receiving but it was still one of the most fun Christmas I've had in a long time. My SIL, who I love to pieces, came from Florida and brought my little doggy nephew along. :lol: We didn't tell her dad she was coming and he was completely surprised and thrilled! We had so much fun.

For gifts, I got a card saying that one of mine was back ordered! :lol: Pretty sure I know what it is. My SIL and I are both into birding and she gave me a great new field guide, which I'd really wanted. :geek: My mom gave me a pair of beautiful leather gloves and a big check. :mrgreen:

Plus, it freaking snowed! A white Christmas in Texas is pretty rare, only the 2nd one I've ever seen.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Leatherman Charge TTi (badass)
    Gallon of Tabasco, custom with my name on the back (yeah, it's awesome)
    Sunglasses
    2013 The Onion desk calendar
    A few specialty beers
    New first aid kit
    Couple of shirts
    Winter boots
    Framed picture of my niece & nephew

and what I get every year from my parents:
    A case of nice wine
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    My neighbor got me what he called a "Rock & Roll Care Package". It had "The T.A.M.I. Show" and "The Who Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970" on DVD (I've had the latter on CD since '96 but never had the movie), The Who's "Live At Hull" on CD, a cool little guitar tuner that clips to the head and works by vibration, and a little The Who BIC lighter. Normally we just exchange gift cards, but this year he decided to play Santa, and I feel like an asshole.

Well, you definitely got the Who stuff! I had you pegged as more of a Stones guy. :lol:

Sorry you don't like that Houston 75 show. I have a lot of affection for that one, partly because I came very close to going to that show, and partly because that was the tour that I saw them for the first time. What's rare in the Houston show is Pete performing However Much I Booze. It was the opening show of the tour and they usually took a few nights to get things right. Very similar set list when I first saw them. I love that they were still doing Roadrunner in those days.

The TAMI show sounds awesome. Love all that old R&B, especially the early Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson.

Well, usually people can't gift me Stones stuff, because I tend to pre-order it or buy it when it comes out. I can't believe I didn't have "The T.A.M.I. Show" though, but I had seen all the Stones performances on YouTube so I guess I didn't feel rushed to get it.

As far as Texas '75 goes, I just wasn't impressed with the sound and definitely not the picture. From the Amazon reviews it sounds like the show was recorded on The Summit's two closed circuit TV cameras. I was just expecting something a little more professionally done for an official release. Not colors bleeding so bad that 75% of the time you can't make out anybody's face, and far away camera angles. Most concert films make you feel like you're on stage with the band, this one feels like you're at the concert with a decent but not great seat. I guess that can be cool in its own way though. It's not terrible, just not what I was expecting. It is a pretty hot show, but that just makes me wish there were a better document of it. But this is better than nothing for Who fans I'm sure. I hear it has been heavily bootlegged over the years and the official release is a huge improvement, so I'm not trying to knock it.
  • My neighbor got me what he called a "Rock & Roll Care Package". It had "The T.A.M.I. Show" and "The Who Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970" on DVD (I've had the latter on CD since '96 but never had the movie), The Who's "Live At Hull" on CD, a cool little guitar tuner that clips to the head and works by vibration, and a little The Who BIC lighter. Normally we just exchange gift cards, but this year he decided to play Santa, and I feel like an asshole.

So when will the Stones announce the 2013 tour?

When I tell them to. Mick and Keith do nothing without my say-so.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,425
    edited December 2012

When I tell them to. Mick and Keith do nothing without my say-so.
    :P

Well, then GET BUSY MY FRIEND!
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    DS1119 wrote:
    I don't like gifts. Don't know why but I just don't. However I did receive a Kindle, a bunch of clothes that I won't wear and money. The money I'll keep but the rest is going back.
    Me too! We don't really exchange gifts amongst the adults. I did get the joy of watching my son and grandson get what they wanted.
    #FHP
  • Two PJ Boots
    PJ Twenty 3 disk deluxe Blu Ray
    Sailer Jerry Rum
    Neil Young tickets
    Moody Blues tickets
    Dark Knight Rises, Taken, The Grey Blu Ray

But the best gift of all was from my Brother - Hand signed picture of Charlie Watts (Stones drummer) it was even personalised to me. My bro then got it framed. Charlie Watts is a hero of mine, the classiest man in rock and roll so this gift was pretty dam special.
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • Well, usually people can't gift me Stones stuff, because I tend to pre-order it or buy it when it comes out. I can't believe I didn't have "The T.A.M.I. Show" though, but I had seen all the Stones performances on YouTube so I guess I didn't feel rushed to get it.

As far as Texas '75 goes, I just wasn't impressed with the sound and definitely not the picture. From the Amazon reviews it sounds like the show was recorded on The Summit's two closed circuit TV cameras. I was just expecting something a little more professionally done for an official release. Not colors bleeding so bad that 75% of the time you can't make out anybody's face, and far away camera angles. Most concert films make you feel like you're on stage with the band, this one feels like you're at the concert with a decent but not great seat. I guess that can be cool in its own way though. It's not terrible, just not what I was expecting. It is a pretty hot show, but that just makes me wish there were a better document of it. But this is better than nothing for Who fans I'm sure. I hear it has been heavily bootlegged over the years and the official release is a huge improvement, so I'm not trying to knock it.
    I have the same problem with people giving me Who stuff. My sister asked if I'd like Pete Townshend's memoir for Christmas and I told her I'd already read it. :lol:

Yeah, that Who show wasn't released at the time because the band wasn't happy with it. But it's been a very popular bootleg and this version is an improvement. I've heard so many stories about the convoluted ownership of it that I'm not sure what's true. I've been hearing for years that it was going to be released so it feels kind of anticlimactic but if you're a fan it's another of the must-haves.

The band owns very few of their early shows, which is frustrating.
  • My family spoiled the shit out of me this year
    I finally got a record player (Crosley) with a few albums to start off with
    My wife framed two posters for me (MMJ Atl '11 and EV Jax '12)
    Lots of CDs
    A few books (bios of Neil Young and Ben Franklin as well as some travel books)
    IPA beer recipe kit
    More little stuff that I cant think of, but I'm always upset at how much $ gets spent on me...
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • My family spoiled the shit out of me this year
    I finally got a record player (Crosley) with a few albums to start off with
    My wife framed two posters for me (MMJ Atl '11 and EV Jax '12)
    Lots of CDs
    A few books (bios of Neil Young and Ben Franklin as well as some travel books)
    IPA beer recipe kit
    More little stuff that I cant think of, but I'm always upset at how much $ gets spent on me...
    Dont get too upset about how much is spent on you.
    TRUST ME on this one..
    Because one day you will turn 45-50.
    And it ALL CHANGES!!!!

:P :P :P

Get it, while the getting is good!!!!