Hartford venue sucked

2»

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    it was a pretty crazy venue, and getting back in to the reserved seat area (we'd gone out after my morning jacket) was a real clusterfuck, but nothing could take away from the show itself. despite the long walk, i was glad i didn't drive to the venue - those poor souls in cars looked like it probably took a couple of hours to get out.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • My only complaint is that the booking agent should have chosen an indoor venue. It was friggin freezing. Parking situation horrible. Show was great though.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    There's a girl with a crown and a scepter
    Who's on WLSD
    And she says that the scene isn't what it's been
    And she's thinking of going home
    That it's old and it's totally over now
    And it's old and it's over, it's over now
    And it's over, it's over, it's over now
    I can see myself

At the end of the tour
    When the road disappears
    If there's any more people around
    When the tour runs aground
    And if you're still around
    Then we'll meet at the end of the tour
    The engagements are booked through the end of the world
    So we'll meet at the end of the tour

Never to part since the day we met
    Out on Interstate 91
    I was bent metal you were a flaming wreck
    When we kissed at the overpass
    I was sailing along with the people
    Driving themselves to distraction inside me
    Then came a knock on the door which was odd
    And the picture abruptly changed

At the end of the tour
    When the road disappears

This was the vehicle these were the people
    You opened the door and expelled all the people
    You opened the door and expelled all the people
    You let them go

At the end of the tour
    When the road disappears
    And we're never gonna tour again
    No, we're never gonna tour again
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    wow, I must have been at a different Dodge music theater, because there were really no big 'problems' at all. Except for some drunk joker who tried to convince us we were in his seats and seemed to want to start shit, but it's an event were alcohol is consumed in quantity, so you expect that sort of shit.

Had no problems going to the bathroom or getting beer. In fact I forgot about the wristband thing and when I got to the counter, the lady was nice and was like - Are you 31?, I said I was 33, showed her my license and got my beer. We even joked that the $5.00 beer was like a shot glass.

The parking lot we were in, did have it's share of assholes and most used it as there own personal dump. I bagged all my empty beer bottles and left it next to a trash bin for the record.

Our section was great (500, half way up) as everyone was into it. A frew tried to start a leash chant but finally gave up. I would have hated to hear the chant after EVERY song.

All in all, a great show and a great time.

by the way, i was in shorts and wasn't cold at all.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • spalindspalind Posts: 8
    Not nearly the issues as many here have stated...I think some people are just too cranky, irritable, and expect things to be handed to them on a platter--there were at least two ATM's--and those were just the two that I ran across without looking for them...the bathrooms?? Well when the crowd is 70% male then of course the guys bathrooms are going to be overcrowded...no different than the girls bathroom at something like a Dixie Chicks show...Beer?? I'm 31 and from NH...didnt need a wristband, had no problem except for the long lines--again, to be expected at a PJ show...It was cold and wet....but you can't blame anyone for that...it just is what it is....
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I had no issues. Good seats, good crowd around me, no bathroom lines, free parking only 3 minutes from the entrance, got right out of the parking lot. I think PJ must have played a second Hartford show that I missed.

And for those of you who are basing your Hartford opinions on this venue: you do realize that the area is in no way shape or form indicative of even 1% of what Hartford has to offer right? I mean, it's not even near downtown. No, Hartford isn't the best city in the world, but there are some great restaurants, museums, and a few good bars if you know where to look.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Thin HairThin Hair Posts: 67
    I actually thought his solos were much clearer than the night before in Albany.

have to agree, mike sounded clearer at hartford than albany. I thought the venue was okay even if it was freezing. As a 30 year old from England i found it strange being asked for id everwhere i wanted a beer, but after waiting half hour for a bracelet it was eventually worth it, even if the vendors couldnt decipher a uk drivers license. The setlist made up for all the bad points at the venue.
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Thin Hair wrote:
    As a 30 year old from England i found it strange being asked for id everwhere i wanted a beer,...

Take that as a compliment!
  • qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    BinFrog wrote:
    I had no issues. Good seats, good crowd around me, no bathroom lines, free parking only 3 minutes from the entrance, got right out of the parking lot. I think PJ must have played a second Hartford show that I missed.

And for those of you who are basing your Hartford opinions on this venue: you do realize that the area is in no way shape or form indicative of even 1% of what Hartford has to offer right? I mean, it's not even near downtown. No, Hartford isn't the best city in the world, but there are some great restaurants, museums, and a few good bars if you know where to look.

Hartford is the shittiest place I've ever been too!! And yes, I have been to Detroit many times! :)
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Boston is the same with Beer... out of state and under 25 and you're screwed

the flow of hartford really sucked... why did everything go through 1 side? great woods flows both ways
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    My neighbor was up on the lawn....going to ask him how it was next time I see him.

And I guess it is pretty stupid to have only a coupleof entrances to the pavillion, all being on one side. I must have been passing through at all the right times, because there was no waiting to get in. And we were out of there in under 5 minutes so no big deal.

I saw a shitload of people in the lobby during Pj's set and thought WTF?

6 beers in the lot
    Piss before MMJ in the venue
    Another beer after MMJ
    Another piss in the venue
    Pearl Jam
    Walk to the lot, another piss
    3 more beersin the lot....

not one problem or waiting in any lines
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • I agree- the venue was probably one of the worst I've ever been to- beer line bs- 1 door for 8 billion meatheads- And the sound was just ok- not great- that's halfway inside the pavillion- felt like the guitars were getting lost- Other than that I fuckin Love Pearl Jam and cant wait to get to the other shows .

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • BinFrog wrote:

Thats the fuckin funniest post I've read ALL month! what a shithole- great restaurants- ha haaaa- Massachusetts- you fucking crack me up.

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Reggie32Reggie32 Posts: 5
    I hear people refering to the Hartford venue as a shit hole, but it as not always like that. It is sad, but the Dodge Music Center, previously the Meadows Music Theatre used to be a really good venue. When it was first opened, summer 95, it was ranked by Pollstar (the live music industry magazine) as one of the top 5 amphitheaters in the country. That probably lasted two or three years top, because of bad management and corporate profeteering.

Soon the sound system stopped being updated, specially in the lawn, the facilities received no improvement, and the venue started falling down the drains. You need to stay on top of your game with these venues, and they have not. The video screens were also old and not top quality. Some of that system still probably being used, because the corporate partners just care about money and putting their name on the venue, but not the fans or attendees. Security was either too aggressive (like some PJ shows, 96 and 98) or too lax, like the DMB riots of 99.

The new corporate 'partners" (Dodge) could be different, but that remains to be seen. They added stairs towards the lawn for better accesibility, which is good. Don't know about sound and video, because I was not in the lawn, but will see what happens. Don't expect much. Sad story really for us Hartford fans. This venue was bulit with tax payers money, and the sold (classic sports arena move), and we do not get nothing in return.
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    that was during even flo

How ironic
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    that was during even flo

How ironic
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • marc34marc34 Posts: 221
    Reggie32 wrote:
    I hear people refering to the Hartford venue as a shit hole, but it as not always like that. It is sad, but the Dodge Music Center, previously the Meadows Music Theatre used to be a really good venue. When it was first opened, summer 95, it was ranked by Pollstar (the live music industry magazine) as one of the top 5 amphitheaters in the country. That probably lasted two or three years top, because of bad management and corporate profeteering.

Soon the sound system stopped being updated, specially in the lawn, the facilities received no improvement, and the venue started falling down the drains. You need to stay on top of your game with these venues, and they have not. The video screens were also old and not top quality. Some of that system still probably being used, because the corporate partners just care about money and putting their name on the venue, but not the fans or attendees. Security was either too aggressive (like some PJ shows, 96 and 98) or too lax, like the DMB riots of 99.

The new corporate 'partners" (Dodge) could be different, but that remains to be seen. They added stairs towards the lawn for better accesibility, which is good. Don't know about sound and video, because I was not in the lawn, but will see what happens. Don't expect much. Sad story really for us Hartford fans. This venue was bulit with tax payers money, and the sold (classic sports arena move), and we do not get nothing in return.

I was there for PJ in 96 and it sucked even worse....The lawn was not pitched at all, perfectly flat
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • notarydponotarydpo Posts: 4
    The venue indeed sucks, always has. As for the poster suggesting the city hasn't a single good place to eat, I'm guessing he: (a) hasn't been downtown for years, if at all, (b) wouldn't know good food if he found it, (c) has a very small weenie and is insecure about it.

That is all.
  • ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    bostonmarc wrote:
    I was there for PJ in 96 and it sucked even worse....The lawn was not pitched at all, perfectly flat

The lawn in this venue has never been flat. And to those who commented about 2 doors for the reserved seating...if you had gone around to the side door you could have gone around to the base of the lawn and entered the reserved area from any where in the back of the seats. Its a bit of a walk but less confusion and I like checking out the view from the lawn as I find my seat.

Hartfords not so bad. The areas around the civic center are a lot nicer, plenty to do there. The Meadows was built a few years ago on the old Hartford Landfill that borders on a prison site. Its on the outskirts of the city and there was never anything there before the Meadows. There's still nothing there. That's why there are no bars within walking distance of the Meadows. Its a dump, literally.

If all you see of Hartford is the Meadows, its kinda like seeing Philadelphia from the vantage point of the Camden Tweeter center only. Anyone that thinks Hartford is a shithole should see Camden.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle