Have you (or do you know someone) who went to JAIL/PRISON?

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I was joking with my wife that if I cant pay my taxes that maybe prison wouldnt be so bad. Could I bring my guitar? I could get some music done and write a novel and get into good shape. Conjugal visits? No problem.

Then I got to thinking, who do I know that's spent the most time in prison?
I have a friend whose dad is in prison. He's been in for a long time, but I dont know what for.

Anyone know someone who was in the can for a long time? What did they do?
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    my buddy is a CO. you can't have a music instrument but you can have cable.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

My Dad used to spend a long time in the can. Sometimes over a half an hour at a time. I'm not really sure what he was doing in there.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    DS1119 wrote:

My Dad used to spend a long time in the can. Sometimes over a half an hour at a time. I'm not really sure what he was doing in there.
    Must have had some major pins and needles.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I know a couple of people. One guy (a buddy of my best friend) was in jail for several years. In self defense he beat a guy within inches of his life. Totally justified, apparently, but not in the eyes of the court because he used a weapon (I guess a piece of wood or something he found). I've met the guy....couldn't be a nicer person.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Haha this makes me think of Office Space with the conjugal visits :lol:

I had the great fortune to date a winner that ended up going to jail. Lucky me! (Not while we were dating mind you, ha!) He was in jail for something like 5 years and I'm pretty sure it was drug related. I haven't really talked to him since he got out for obvious reasons but I hear he's now actually the owner of a pretty successful catering company, so it sounds like it might have turned him around.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • DS1119 wrote:

:lol::clap:
    I was trying to use the proper lingo to get our resident inmates to feel more comfortable talking about their time in the bighouse..

But yeah, the toilet is a place where you can get a lot of thinking done too...maybe some writing, music, and exercise too...Ok, maybe the can is better than the bighouse for now.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • DS1119 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS1HIThPcz8
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    It's been 20 or so years but back then you could have a TV and walkman. Conjugal visits not as easy as it seems. You could only get those at the State level(prison) and you had a lot of hoops to jump through. You could have some foodstuffs mailed in as well as jeans and sneakers. You could still smoke too so cigs were okay. Books and cassettes straight from the store were cool too.
    #FHP
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I did have a buddy in high school who had to spend his weekends in county jail for beating a kid with a stair railing. Fucked up his senior year fun. :lol:
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I know a couple of people. One guy (a buddy of my best friend) was in jail for several years. In self defense he beat a guy within inches of his life. Totally justified, apparently, but not in the eyes of the court because he used a weapon (I guess a piece of wood or something he found). I've met the guy....couldn't be a nicer person.

Wow, that's fuckin crazy.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Haha this makes me think of Office Space with the conjugal visits :lol:

I had the great fortune to date a winner that ended up going to jail. Lucky me! (Not while we were dating mind you, ha!) He was in jail for something like 5 years and I'm pretty sure it was drug related. I haven't really talked to him since he got out for obvious reasons but I hear he's now actually the owner of a pretty successful catering company, so it sounds like it might have turned him around.

Ha! I hope you're over your bad-boy phase...just kiddin. ;)
    A catering company is a great front for running drugs.
    You also just reminded me, I cant believe I forgot about this -- about 10 years ago, some woman who was in jail got my phone number somehow and we had a few conversations. I dont know why, I was just being nice. Then like a year later she was supposed to get out and left me a voice message that she wanted to meet me...I never repsonded. :wtf:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

Ha! I hope you're over your bad-boy phase...just kiddin. ;)
    A catering company is a great front for running drugs.
    You also just reminded me, I cant believe I forgot about this -- about 10 years ago, some woman who was in jail got my phone number somehow and we had a few conversations. I dont know why, I was just being nice. Then like a year later she was supposed to get out and left me a voice message that she wanted to meet me...I never repsonded. :wtf:

You know...I actually believe he's on the up and up now. He really was a good guy, just hung around the wrong people. Of course when he got out I did hear from him and he said I was what got him through...even though we hadn't talked in like 10 years :?

So some woman just like randomly called you, on accident? :lol: That must have been interesting! Probably a good call not to meet with her :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We knew some people back in day who went to prison for insurance fraud.
    Knew a fella got 5 years for selling weed and more recently a young man,
    son of a former business acquaintance, got 5 for sticking up a bank with a toy gun.

When I was kid though a close friend of my eldest sister found shot to death
    in the trunk of his car... rumor had it vice squad,
    yep not all the really bad guys go to prison.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I know two people who are in prison for murder, used to hang out with both of them

both drug related

One of my childhood friends served time for making home made bombs, it was a hobby believe it or not until the kitchen blew up and his wife lost an eye and a few fingers

Believe it or not, none of them could be considered "a rough bunch." Just got themselves into bad circumstances.
  • I had an uncle and some cousins who did jail time for burglary and drug-related stuff. I really had no contact with that branch of the family and didn't learn about most of until my other cousins told me after my grandmother's funeral. My mom was very ashamed and didn't want anyone to know.

A guy I knew in college is doing life for murder. I guess he's been in nearly 30 years now.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    So some woman just like randomly called you, on accident? :lol: That must have been interesting! Probably a good call not to meet with her :lol:

You know, I dont remember how she got my number. But I definitely didnt know her. Maybe it was a misdial or something...it was definitely weird. It was interesting at first, but then very weird.
  • One of my childhood friends served time for making home made bombs, it was a hobby believe it or not until the kitchen blew up and his wife lost an eye and a few fingers

:o :shock:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    :lol:

the list is waaayyyyy too long
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    edited December 2012
    I did 48 hours in county. :o:lol: Barely on my record anymore. Do overnights count too? :lol:

A lot of people I grew up with did some time of some sort. Most are doing well now.

An acquaintance here in Philly killed himself in jail after he was looking at a good 20 years for pills (a possible murder/disappearance may have been coming on him too). Didn't know him well, but he was around when we were out a bunch of times.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • :lol:

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I did 48 hours in county. :o:lol: Barely on my record anymore.

A lot of people I grew up with did some time of some sort. Most are doing well now.

You damned crazy New Yorkers! :lol:
    :lol:

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I did 48 hours in county. :o:lol: Barely on my record anymore.

You damned crazy New Yorkers! :lol:

ill be down in 11 days ...walking your slow ass paced life style :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Yeah, I know a guy that is currently in state prison
    You are able to buy TVs and cable, get exercise, regular meals, get a job.

I have no idea why people living on the streets don't do something stupid and just get locked up.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I have no idea why people living on the streets don't do something stupid and just get locked up.

3 hot's and a cot
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

3 hot's and a cot

Exactly
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

The guy I know doing life doesn't have TV and cable. A magazine subscription is a big deal to him. He does have a clerical job but it's not like he makes a bunch of money, just enough to buy incidentals.

We still correspond with him. He doesn't complain about his situation but I don't get the impression there's anything desirable about how he lives.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The guy I know doing life doesn't have TV and cable. A magazine subscription is a big deal to him. He does have a clerical job but it's not like he makes a bunch of money, just enough to buy incidentals.

We still correspond with him. He doesn't complain about his situation but I don't get the impression there's anything desirable about how he lives.

Not everyone can get TV and it's not always available but a lot of times you can buy it. You only get certain channels though. I think most things with violence, sex, etc. aren't available.

I'm not saying it's easy at all, but I also think I would prefer it to sleeping on the streets in 20 degree weather.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Not everyone can get TV and it's not always available but a lot of times you can buy it. You only get certain channels though. I think most things with violence, sex, etc. aren't available.

I'm not saying it's easy at all, but I also think I would prefer it to sleeping on the streets in 20 degree weather.
    I suppose. But this is in Texas, where winters aren't as severe as summer. I wouldn't want to be locked up in a windowless room when the temp is 100+.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I suppose. But this is in Texas, where winters aren't as severe as summer. I wouldn't want to be locked up in a windowless room when the temp is 100+.

This is true too.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I know an inlaw who went to prison here in Fl and AR for selling weed to undercover agents. He was under surveillance for months. He did federal time over state time he said after release was much better. He spent 2 and half years.

Another was an ex inlaw who was jailed for some sort of botched robbery. He spent 5 years in up state PA at a place called something something Retreat. It was areally nice place in the mountains but it was still jail and I went there to pick him up upon a release also I visited him once before his release. He was a really cool dude who loved his Philly teams and sports in general. He died of Aids one day into my then honeymoon 18 years ago.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have a close family friend that is currently in federal prison-shit, went to visit him once-all the hoops you have to jump thru to go and visit :crazy:

Don't do meth kids!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless