Comments

• cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    81 wrote:
    file.php?avatar=259523_1330208408.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol:
    I lost a bet...
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    jason wrote:
    I am going to say you are all wrong with staying in the 1 lane. MN promotes the budding, but NO ONE DOES IT RIGHT!! We call it Zipper Merge. Here is some info on it and how it should be done!

Info -
    http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

Video -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPby71TNC0

That doesn't really make sense to me. For one thing it assumes that people are actually going to take turns and let people in. People act like assholes in their cars, because it's pretty anonymous and people think they're in a rolling fortress or something where their actions have no consequences. Also, with people dicking around on their phones, you can't trust the person in the lane next to you to be paying attention to anything.

Second, it says that when people switch lanes when they see the sign it leads to "unexpected and dangerous lane switching", can't the same be said for people trying to switch lanes as their lane is about to end? When you wait until the lane ends, then you're running out of options. Depending on the area, you could be looking at either getting over no matter what, or heading headlong into some barrels or God forbid a concrete retaining wall.

That zipper way may work too, but they're making a lot of assumptions. Like that people will see the sign and freak out to change lanes, as opposed to what I do, which is start looking for an opening. I doubt many people see the sign and just erratically swerve into the other lane. Traffic can move just as smooth (if not smoother) if you don't have everybody trying to merge at the choke point. That's where the problem ALWAYS is. Once you get past the choke point and you're in the one lane, there is hardly ever any stoppage. The person in front of you might not be moving as fast as you want them to, but you're moving.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    Understood. Like I said, no on ever does it so it really doesn't matter. My technique is the off ramp, then on ramp technique. I get off, go over the bridge and get back on and gain about 30 cars. Its cheating I know!

As for the zipper, I think it would work if everyone did it and payed attention to the road. Like you said, cell phones, etc.... can be an issue and no one is paying attention. But if you had a lane closed 2 miles ahead why not zipper into 1 lane (every other person) for those 2 miles keeping traffic moving at a slow pace or just have everyone merge into 1 lane once they see that sign, leaving that closed lane up ahead unused.

Its silly really not to do this, but people don't understand it and thus, useless. I remember driving back to the cities from up north and a freeway lane was closed 3 miles ahead. 3 lanes into 2. The 2 right lanes were backed up for MILES!! The far left lane (still open) was unused. I jumped on that thing and wizzed by everyone. Why not use it!!?!??!

Its a personal choice, but I HATE THE D-BAGS that speed up and don't let you in trying to smash your car. Really dude???

There are good ways and bad ways to approach this technique.
    jason wrote:
    Understood. Like I said, no on ever does it so it really doesn't matter. My technique is the off ramp, then on ramp technique. I get off, go over the bridge and get back on and gain about 30 cars. Its cheating I know!

As for the zipper, I think it would work if everyone did it and payed attention to the road. Like you said, cell phones, etc.... can be an issue and no one is paying attention. But if you had a lane closed 2 miles ahead why not zipper into 1 lane (every other person) for those 2 miles keeping traffic moving at a slow pace or just have everyone merge into 1 lane once they see that sign, leaving that closed lane up ahead unused.

Its silly really not to do this, but people don't understand it and thus, useless. I remember driving back to the cities from up north and a freeway lane was closed 3 miles ahead. 3 lanes into 2. The 2 right lanes were backed up for MILES!! The far left lane (still open) was unused. I jumped on that thing and wizzed by everyone. Why not use it!!?!??!

Its a personal choice, but I HATE THE D-BAGS that speed up and don't let you in trying to smash your car. Really dude???

There are good ways and bad ways to approach this technique.

But see, the thing is that those people were trying to avoid a choke point, and when people get in the "unused lane", they are basically creating the problem. Traffic might be moving slower than you like, but if everybody got in that other lane, then it's going to fuck up the flow to a stand-still.

That is the ONLY time I don't let people over. I'm huge about letting people get in, not blocking intersections (I FUCKING HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT) and the like. But when somebody gets in the other lane and passes everybody else like they're the Presidential motorcade, basically saying "fuck you, I'm more important", I really don't see the point in being polite in return. If the traffic is moving slow, then that means most cars are going to be pretty tightly packed, and you're likely going to have to slow down dramatically or stop entirely to get over, and so is the other lane, and now we have a choke point.

It's also dangerous, because you have people flying down that lane, and so people in the other lanes are tempted to pull out and get in that lane, and I've seen several accidents happen that way. If that lane is abandoned, and nobody is passing them, then many people will accept the fact that they're stuck going slow. But when people are passing them like they're a bunch of suckers, then it turns into a "why not me" situation and they want to get over too.

The zipper probably would work if people were paying attention, and being civilized, but so would the other way. Getting people to be civilized in their vehicle is a pretty tough ask though. The most insane behavior I have seen in my life has been on the highway. People just don't give a shit.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850
    I know there's probably 100 threads about how stupid people can be behind the wheel, so I'm not really going to rant about that too much. But I do believe that traffic laws work for the most part, one of the few things that do, and it's one of my biggest pet peeves. I know there are some places where traffic is going to be bad regardless, just because of congestion. But around here, outside of the Dallas and Ft. Worth city limits, I would say 75% of traffic is caused by stupid drivers. People driving with a sense of entitlement, doing whatever they please in order to get somewhere a little faster. Staying in a merging lane right until the last second and then merging, just because it's moving a little faster (on account of the fact that the smart fucking drivers merged 2 mile back when they saw the sign and were supposed to), people jockeying for position, and of course being absorbed in their phones. They either don't understand, or don't care, that they are what is causing the traffic.

So today I get caught in some heavy traffic on the way to work, and it was an area where there's no excuse for it (it's a little bit of a choke point, but if people behaved it would work), and it was simply being caused by people doing all of the above. The two lanes were merging down to one, and everybody was trying to jockey for position, and the lane that was ending was full of cars trying to merge over at the last second. Then these two truckers, who I assume planned this out on their CB or whatever, fixed it. They pulled side by side (even when their lane moved ahead, they stayed even) and over into the shoulders a little bit to block them. Sure enough, after a few minutes, traffic started moving MUCH better. We weren't flying, but compared to the gridlock it had been, it was fantastic. Of course people around me were FREAKING the fuck out. I wish I had a PA system on my car so I could have said "If you fucking idiots knew how to drive and act right, these truckers wouldn't have to babysit your stupid asses".

I was cracking up so hard, not just from the reactions of the people in traffic with me, but I just found it funny how those two men/women took it upon themselves to be tank boss of the highway. At one point, before we really started moving, a car in front of me thought they'd try to squeeze through the space between the two trucks. I don't think it would have made it, but just in case the trucker on the right opened up his door and jumped out with a "come at me bro" look on his face, and put an end to that shit toot sweet. I'm sure once we got past that choke point it went right back to being idiots in gridlock though. It was nice to see a couple of people (especially people who are usually in a hurry, and time actually is money for) take the time to think about other people besides just themselves and their schedule (as what they did mostly benefited the people behind them) and try to remedy a situation.
    its a selfish move on truckers part. I for one would rather NOT puch the fucking clutch in 100,000 times in a traffic jam, its best to keep rolling at a steady pace. Not to mention moving along as much as we can seeing as how time is in fact money in this business.

It kills me, my company in an effort to save a few bucks on thier part will not pay for the the turnpikes in Indiana or Ohio. Indiana is like $18. Instead the put us on a US route that takes about an hour longer with the lights we have to go through in those towns on US 30.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    its a selfish move on truckers part. I for one would rather NOT puch the fucking clutch in 100,000 times in a traffic jam, its best to keep rolling at a steady pace. Not to mention moving along as much as we can seeing as how time is in fact money in this business.

I think you're misunderstanding what happened. They actually cleared up the traffic jam by keeping people from making the choke point worse. Because of them we all got moving. And one of the truckers could have been selfish and just taken off when his lane had moved up ahead, but they kept their wall going to keep shit straight.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850
    mickeyrat wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding what happened. They actually cleared up the traffic jam by keeping people from making the choke point worse. Because of them we all got moving. And one of the truckers could have been selfish and just taken off when his lane had moved up ahead, but they kept their wall going to keep shit straight.
    I understand perfectly. WE want to keep rolling not play brake and clutch because of 4 wheelers. So one will step for the good of the other truckers behind us. We do talk, so if you start seeing trucks move into one lane or another , move with them and be patient. it means thats the open lane.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I understand perfectly. WE want to keep rolling not play brake and clutch because of 4 wheelers. So one will step for the good of the other truckers behind us. We do talk, so if you start seeing trucks move into one lane or another , move with them and be patient. it means thats the open lane.

Oh OK, I see what you're saying now. When you said selfish, I thought you meant for themselves, not for other truckers. But the way I see it what they did benefited all of us, so I was happy with it. Even if it wasn't meant to be for me.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i've been out of the truck now about 5 years or whatever. but lemme tell ya... it was glorious back in the day with 18 (+) wheels on the pavement. there are truck drivers & then there are real fucking truck drivers. i was flippin good at my job, complimented by everyone even when i fucked shit up. ya can't win 'em all. :lol:

a trucker's life is not at all easy. livin on the road is a real son of a bitch. i actually suggest to those wanting to give it a whirl to avoid it at all cost unless you're a pretty tough & surely frickin guy or gal.

i've never worked an 8 hr day in my entire life drivin a truck. 40 hr work weeks are for the weak. 80(+) hrs a week... now you're talkin.

but now my health is smoked; knees are fried & feel like im 140 yrs old instead of 40.

i'd leave florida with a load of crap for a cruise ship which was leaving alaska & meeting me in seattle. if i was not present we get a $50,000 dollar fine & very well could lose a great contract. ON!

speaking of Alaska... that was the greatest experience i ever had in my life behind the wheel. straight awesome. fucking moose & ice mountain roads... -40 degrees & one big erection in the sky called aurora borealis. this was my last trip, hung it up & went to school which turned out to be awesome too. haven't graduated yet though either... :?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    jason wrote:
    I am going to say you are all wrong with staying in the 1 lane. MN promotes the budding, but NO ONE DOES IT RIGHT!! We call it Zipper Merge. Here is some info on it and how it should be done!

Info -

Video -

this only works when that music is playing.

wait...does it work???

How can one single lane of traffic going through the choke area be any faster than two lanes of traffic converging/zippering into......SAID SAME ONE LANE OF TRAFFIC through the choke area?

I'm sure it bunches up the traffic neater, but I don't see how one car at a time be accomplished faster with a zipper than with one smooth moving lane....ya know?
    rollings wrote:
    jason wrote:

Info -

Video -

wait...does it work???

How can one single lane of traffic going through the choke area be any faster than two lanes of traffic converging/zippering into......SAID SAME ONE LANE OF TRAFFIC through the choke area?

I'm sure it bunches up the traffic neater, but I don't see how one car at a time be accomplished faster with a zipper than with one smooth moving lane....ya know?

Things work differently in Minnesota rollings.

0419-star-wars-at-at-walker_full_600.jpg
    Minnesota traffic jam

• Things work differently in Minnesota rollings.

Minnesota traffic jam

Very accurate
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    rollings wrote:
    jason wrote:

Info -

Video -

wait...does it work???

Things work differently in Minnesota rollings.

Minnesota traffic jam

:shock:

I see