Options

Met Ed last night

smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
edited April 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
About 1:30am. There were about 15-20 people waiting and he graciously gave autographs and hugs to anyone who wanted them. I shook his hand and asked him to sign my poster with "Go Bears." He asked, "As in the Chicago Bears?" I said, "Uhhhh, as in the Cal Golden Bears" and smiled. He smiled and said something like "Thats cool too," not sure though, it all happened so fast. Another fan who came all the way from Minnesota gave me a ride all the way back to South San Francisco at 2am when she was staying in Berkeley. I gave her my VIC poster as a thank you. Thanks so much!
Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
07/13/98 Los Angeles
07/14/98 Los Angeles
10/31/99 Bridge School
10/28/00 San Bernardino
10/31/00 Mountain View
10/21/01 Bridge School
06/01/03 Mountain View
07/15/06 SF I
07/16/06 SF II
07/18/06 SF III
10/21/06 Bridge School
04/07/08 Berkeley
04/08/08 Berkeley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Congrats!
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    aw, that's great!
    good for you!

stay away from the Embarcadero today too btw :)
    and ignore everyone who says 'i wouldn't have waited' or has some other negativity trying to rain on your parade!
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Love those stories! Makes me want to go back to my waiting days, AKA November 2006 :)
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    I am with the poster above - I love those meeting ed stories, too! :)

It makes me feel less of a loser for waiting hours and hours esp on the 2004 VFC/2006 tour...nada.

But what I really got out of it, though, is the great friends I got to see and making new ones. :)

But my waiting days are over, though...I can't do it anymore.

I'm mortified now and have nothing to say...so I'd rather live through others like you, smg9779. :)

Congrats! ::thumbs up::
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    peachykeenpeachykeen NY Posts: 108
    neat :)
    *If I had known then what I know now*

199xxx
  • Options
    hahaha... I can't wait anymore, I'm hanging out with people who think they are too cool to wait... (But get jealouse anyway when someone has a good meeting story)
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,948
    good story, happened to evenflowman here in vancouver....ed sounds really nice and understanding. im not sure what id do if i met him ,it would all be a blur i bet.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    hahaha... I can't wait anymore, I'm hanging out with people who think they are too cool to wait... (But get jealouse anyway when someone has a good meeting story)

i will wait with you einat, ive never "waited" before. dc, ny?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options

It's a date! :) although, those are big venues... not as intimate as Vancouver (or my wonderful Astoria or Newcastle experiences...ohhhh....)
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    smg9779 wrote:
    About 1:30am. There were about 15-20 people waiting and he graciously gave autographs and hugs to anyone who wanted them. I shook his hand and asked him to sign my poster with "Go Bears." He asked, "As in the Chicago Bears?" I said, "Uhhhh, as in the Cal Golden Bears" and smiled. He smiled and said something like "Thats cool too," not sure though, it all happened so fast. Another fan who came all the way from Minnesota gave me a ride all the way back to South San Francisco at 2am when she was staying in Berkeley. I gave her my VIC poster as a thank you. Thanks so much!

awesome man, congrats!!!!
    :D
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    smg9779 wrote:

Damn, if I only waited there another 40min or so i could of had another opportunity to chat w/him. Oh well, got my time w/Ed in Santa Cruz so it's all good. Glad to hear that all those who waited were rewarded with his presence!!

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    It's a date! :) although, those are big venues... not as intimate as Vancouver (or my wonderful Astoria or Newcastle experiences...ohhhh....)

yeah thats what i was thinking....probably too big...but it might be worth a try...when nic and met stone, she kept her cool, but i think she would flip out for ed.....
  • Options
    rob52575rob52575 Posts: 26
    It sounds like Ed greets fans almost every night on this tour..almost. I sure hope he will in LA because I am coming from Texas and it would just make the trip to meet him and get an autograph. Anyone know what the backdoor situation is like at the Wiltern??? Anyone gonna hang with me this Sunday night???
    Austin - 9/16/95
    Charelston - 10/5/96
    Dallas - 7/5/98
    San Antonio - 4/5/03
    Denver - 7/2/06
    Los Angeles (EV) - 4/13/08
  • Options
    free hugs? that's awesome! :)
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239

Nope! EV actually charges $1 per hug.

j/k

RM
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677

Free?!? That mother fucker charged me $10 for my hug! At least the reach around was free!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    apcapc Posts: 32
    i am also coming from texas and want to try to meet ed as well...either night works for me! if anyone has any tips please give em to us.
    Louisville - 3/24/94, Austin - 9/16/95, Dallas - 7/5/98, Nashville - 8/17/00, Dallas - 10/17/00, San Antonio - 4/5/03, Dallas - 6/9/03, Camden - 7/5/03, The Gorge I - 7/22/06, The Gorge II - 7/23/06, Los Angeles I (EV) 4/12/08, Los Angeles II (EV) - 4/13/08...
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    apc wrote:
    i am also coming from texas and want to try to meet ed as well...either night works for me! if anyone has any tips please give em to us.

Waited outside the Vancouver 1 show until about 1:30am...my only tip... don't get into it with the eBayers....and don't be afraid to bring extra Sharpies...but then, ALWAYS ALWAYS carry a Sharpie...and don't fear the coloured ink ones...they work just as well and apparently indicate "true fan" from "ebayer"...who knew...

Anyway, congrats to all who have met Ed or are going to meet Ed...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    ruffianruffian Posts: 15
    i got to meet him, too, after the 4/8 show--first time, and it was very cool. the other folks there were so laid back and polite, and Ed was gracious and incredibly sweet. I told him I'd had someone cover for me at work (and um, maybe hide my real whereabouts) and promised that I'd bring a momento, if i could. So he signed the program to my friend and wrote "our secret." cute! for anyone else who was there, thanks for being such a cool crowd, and congrats to the woman who got his harmonica from the previous night's show! that was outstanding.
  • Options
    apcapc Posts: 32
    what do you mean by dont get into with the ebayers??? are they difficult to deal with? was ed taking pics with the fans, or was he just signing??? dont get me wrong....an autograph and just saying hi would be great!!!
    Louisville - 3/24/94, Austin - 9/16/95, Dallas - 7/5/98, Nashville - 8/17/00, Dallas - 10/17/00, San Antonio - 4/5/03, Dallas - 6/9/03, Camden - 7/5/03, The Gorge I - 7/22/06, The Gorge II - 7/23/06, Los Angeles I (EV) 4/12/08, Los Angeles II (EV) - 4/13/08...
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I would have taken the hug and the autograph but I think I would have been so nervous on the hug thing that I would not ask for one but live forever to regret it forever.

so cool for you though, and I truly love to hear these stories . No matter how big Eddie gets, he is always one of us and although I had my doubts for a bit recently, I am glad to see I was wrong.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    apc wrote:
    what do you mean by dont get into with the ebayers??? are they difficult to deal with? was ed taking pics with the fans, or was he just signing??? dont get me wrong....an autograph and just saying hi would be great!!!

There were a few at Vancouver who had about 10 things each to sign. I questioned why they felt it was OK to hog so much of a Ed's time when so many others jusr wanted to meet him or have one thing signed before getting out of the way for other fans have their chance. Of course one guy got defensive (and rightly so) but didn't seem to understand that true fans who would cherish an autograph or a moment and not make money off of him should have equal opportunity.He also got really angry and whiny when he thought some girl had "ruined it for everyone!! Way to go stupid BITCH!" It really wasn't my place to question their intentions...yeah, yeah, free enterprize, capitalist society, etc...

Ed went out the front door apparently and not the stage door. Such is life.
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345

It is all worth it when it finally happens that few secs is awesome it is such a rush that is why i do it when u all come up for flight to mars i am making some extra photos and give u some when we meet mike if u wait at a big venue the best is be there when they arrive or when they leave and or the hotel if u wanna go that far see u all soon had a blast up there
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    einatshaul wrote:
    Love those stories! Makes me want to go back to my waiting days, AKA November 2006 :)
    Yeah, with me yelling at you to get a bloody move on and stop waiting and get in the damn car already so I can drive you guys off, go home, get to sleep and get set for the next day of work.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,094
    ruffian wrote:
    i got to meet him, too, after the 4/8 show--first time, and it was very cool. the other folks there were so laid back and polite, and Ed was gracious and incredibly sweet. I told him I'd had someone cover for me at work (and um, maybe hide my real whereabouts) and promised that I'd bring a momento, if i could. So he signed the program to my friend and wrote "our secret." cute! for anyone else who was there, thanks for being such a cool crowd, and congrats to the woman who got his harmonica from the previous night's show! that was outstanding.

Thats, a great story, Ed's such a sweety!
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Awesome stories.:)
    Man I wish he'd play these solo shows in Aus....
  • Options
    apc wrote:
    I will be there on Sunday. Doing Lakers/Spurs earlier in the day. I wonder what the rear entrance is like.
    Austin - 9/16/95
    Charelston - 10/5/96
    Dallas - 7/5/98
    San Antonio - 4/5/03
    Denver - 7/2/06
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    rob52575 wrote:
    I wonder what the rear entrance is like.

oh my.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    mozettimozetti Posts: 95
    oh my.

Haha!
  • Options
    apc wrote:
    I have collected autographs of my heroes (sports, music, movies, etc.) for many years. I never ask for more than one and always try to get it personalized so the signer knows it will be kept and not sold. That usually designates to them I am a fan. The ebayers are those guys who have stacks of stuff and you can tell they didn't even attend the event. I am sure it will be 10x's harder in LA as this is the autograph/papparazzi mecca. I hope those assholes don't ruin it for us fans because it sounds like he makes time after each show for those who stick it out and wait.
    Austin - 9/16/95
    Charelston - 10/5/96
    Dallas - 7/5/98
    San Antonio - 4/5/03
    Denver - 7/2/06