The Road Trip Thread

Comments

• Mamasan23 wrote:
    Pretty sure I'm roadtripping to Fort Bragg this summer

What's that and where?

Fort Bragg, North Carolina... home of the 82nd Airborne... My buddy is stationed there.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Pretty sure I'm roadtripping to Fort Bragg this summer

What's that and where?

Fort Bragg, North Carolina... home of the 82nd Airborne... My buddy is stationed there.

good drive once you get into KY
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

good drive once you get into KY

Thought it may be cool to see him again before he heads out to the sands for tour #2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    F

Lovely old Tijuana. One of my friends found a prostitute...halfway through a BinauralJam he finds out that she is in fact a he. So he got up and ran away, with she/he chasing him to get paid :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: That's So Nasty
    How about finding out it's Lola after nineteen years
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... years.html
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    My most interesting road trip story involves a dead duck and a can of gas.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    DS1119 wrote:
    My most interesting road trip story involves a dead duck and a can of gas.
    Details?
    ELITIST FUK
    Made my brother puke when we road tripped to ashville. Rumor has it, i drive too fast on back curvey roads
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Years ago I took a road trip with a friend from NY to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. As I was driving through MIssissippi, he kept telling me to slow down because the cops in Mississippi love to give speeding tickets to folks with out of state plates on their way to Mardi Gras. What a weenie. I did not slow down, and I did not get a ticket. Oh, and he decides to tell me he doesn't drink anymore after we get to New Orleans. That's okay, I drank enough for both of us. Hey, at least I had a good time.
    ELITIST FUK
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    A buddy of mine used to drive from Indiana to South Carolina occasionally before he moved up here. One time he was on his way down there and got off the interstate and took some back roads through SC. He came over this hill and in the middle of the road was a flock of buzzards. He nailed them at about 65 mph, broke off his side mirror. The guy behind him started flashing his lights and they pulled off at a gas station. The guy got out and walked up to him to say "That... was... awesome!!" :lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    dougfloyd wrote:
    A buddy of mine used to drive from Indiana to South Carolina occasionally before he moved up here. One time he was on his way down there and got off the interstate and took some back roads through SC. He came over this hill and in the middle of the road was a flock of buzzards. He nailed them at about 65 mph, broke off his side mirror. The guy behind him started flashing his lights and they pulled off at a gas station. The guy got out and walked up to him to say "That... was... awesome!!" :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • I have a few. Most involve Jartran moving trucks.

So this one time when we were moving in a Jartran truck...

I think this is the one where we (my mom, my sister and I) were moving from San Jose, CA by way of LA (Disneyland!) to Los Almos, NM. We were somewhere outside of Flagstaff, AZ when the truck lost power. It's a dark black night and we can see nothing. My mom was able to pull onto the shoulder pretty much perfectly. Then we sit and wait...in the absolute darkness. Mom, being slightly impulsive, decides this is a good time to test her gun. Hey, she IS an American and this is the wide open desert. What better place? So she does her thing. (I honestly don't really remember 'the shot')

Then a trucker comes down the road and pulls over in front of us. He's kind of far ahead of us. Is he baiting my mom? My mom isn't sure, so she has my sister and I crouch down on the floorboards of the truck. Then she hands me (7yrs old, never held a gun) the loaded gun. My sister (4yrs old, still totally cute and not yet my nemisis, lucky for her) is right behind me. My mom tells us that she is going to see if she can get some help from the truck driver, but if ANYBODY besides her opens our moving truck door, I am to shoot them.

I am on it.

Turns out, the truck driver is a perfectly nice good samaritan. He gave us a ride into Flagstaff. He let my sister & I drink his Pepsi and eat his Twinkies(RIP). He honked his horn when we asked him to. It was absolutely delightful.

And, it gets better.

I don't know how this all worked out, but while our moving truck was being fixed, we were being entertained in Flagstaff. Turns out, the carnival was in town - Circus-fucking-tent and all. Being without a vehicle, a very nice gentleman gave us a ride to the carnival in a right hand drive 1940s-something Rolls Royce. The carnival was out in the desert...drive, drive, drive then it appeared practically out of nowhere. The whole experience was positively magical.

I Love road trips.
    I carried a watermelon
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Looove road trips! Done lots of road trips across Europe and California. Just got back from a short one, LA to the Grand Canyon. Was a bit costlier than I had planned...Lost a $450 cashmere sweater while fueling up in Arizona. Had no idea where I had put that sweater until I looked at my pictures when I got back home and I see that damn thing lying on the ground next to the car. And then on the way back we got a speeding ticket outside of Barstow, and this one made me cry...find out today that the total (driving school included) will cost me $650. However, Grand Canyon was amazing :D
    How I choose to feel is how I am
    Suzi78 wrote:
    Looove road trips! Done lots of road trips across Europe and California. Just got back from a short one, LA to the Grand Canyon. Was a bit costlier than I had planned...Lost a $450 cashmere sweater while fueling up in Arizona. Had no idea where I had put that sweater until I looked at my pictures when I got back home and I see that damn thing lying on the ground next to the car. And then on the way back we got a speeding ticket outside of Barstow, and this one made me cry...find out today that the total (driving school included) will cost me $650. However, Grand Canyon was amazing :D

pix? car? :corn:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Suzi78 wrote:

pix? car? :corn:

A Mazda...not sure what model. It's small and white :D
    Suzi78 wrote:

:fp: :lol::lol:

i thought you were a car girl. :lol::lol::lol:

sounds like a good time. i wouldn't mind tripping out to the grand canyon from here. we're talking vacation in colorado next year....maybe it turns into a slightly longer trip
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Suzi78 wrote:

:fp: :lol::lol:

i thought you were a car girl. :lol::lol::lol:

sounds like a good time. i wouldn't mind tripping out to the grand canyon from here. we're talking vacation in colorado next year....maybe it turns into a slightly longer trip

Well, let's just say that I know how to work the accelerator...other than that, I don't care much about cars.

Oh that would be such a great road trip! It's so worth visiting. We hiked all the way down to the bottom of the canyon and spent the night at this ranch called the Phantom Ranch, and then hiked back up in the morning. If you just choose to stay at the rim and look at the view, one day is more than enough. But it's so much more exciting to explore the trails and the whole canyon. I could've spent a week at the bottom just hiking and camping. So beautiful!
    this one time....i made my brother puke

driving around back country roads in NC. if you've never ridden with me, i've been known to channel my inner nascar driver. i gave him one to many curves. he puked in a bag that contained his sneakers.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    81 wrote:
    sneakers.

They are f'n SHOES!

"Sneakers"? Really? :-x :lol::lol:
  • mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sneakers.

They are f'n SHOES!

Well said, Sir. I should have noticed that earlier :lol::lol: :corn:
    Soda pop
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sneakers.

They are f'n SHOES!

Well said, Sir. I should have noticed that earlier :lol::lol: :corn:
    :lol:
    That's what my grandpa calls any kind of shoe other than dress-shoes. :lol:
  • 81 wrote:
    Soda pop

You've got to be fucking kidding me
    81 wrote:
    Soda pop

81: "Back in my day, I put on my brand new shiny sneakers and walked to the corner market to buy some soda pop. Back then, a soda pop cost a nickel! I nickel! *teeth fall out*. Ooooooh...those were the days...".

mca47: Nods and walks away. <--- The best way to deal with old people! Fact!
    Do you prefer kicks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Soda pop

81: "Back in my day, I put on my brand new shiny sneakers and walked to the corner market to buy some soda pop. Back then, a soda pop cost a nickel! I nickel! *teeth fall out*. Ooooooh...those were the days...".

mca47: Nods and walks away. <--- The best way to deal with old people! Fact!
    Where be me pipe
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Where be me pipe

Someone....anyone....give 81 a pipe in the SOS thread! :D
    Cherry tobacco please
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Cherry tobacco please

skoal_long_cut_cherry_smokeless_tobacco.jpg
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    My grandpa used to smoke this, the smell always reminds me of their house.

prince-albert-1-5-pouch-300.jpg

And why does your old guy impression sound like a pirate??
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
    dougfloyd wrote:
    My grandpa used to smoke this, the smell always reminds me of their house.

prince-albert-1-5-pouch-300.jpg

And why does your old guy impression sound like a pirate??
    Prince albert....that sounds dirty

Blame the beer. Yarrrrrr
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg