Options

Who hasn't seen Eddie Vedder solo live?

2»

Comments

• Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I never saw EV live, ever! only got 3 PJ shows in my country in 20+ years, next April the third, but I would never think of going abroad, way out of my league, I'm so broke I could not get the ticket yet, don't know if I will, I only renewed my membership, I don't know what for, I won't be able to get anything for a long time, just did it for the single, as usual... hope things pick up soon...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    From the look of the Fan View Threads on the current tour, not many folks along that tour route have... curious.

The folk-singer-style solo acoustic show is not everyone's cup o tea, and I'd actually be fine with you PJ thrasher fans just skipping it! You're gonna get Porch, maybe Lukin, Sometimes, Wishlist and Parting Ways, but really, ya'll never went for Betterman or Elderly anyways right? Why bother with this slow stuff? You head for the john when Last Kiss comes on, right?

Just watchin a performer and their guitar is not for everyone -- we all get a dose of it at most concerts when a band steps back and the singer picks up an acoustic with no safety net. But 90-120 minutes of that is a very different vibe.

I've been lucky to see some of the best, from Leo Kottke to Michael Hedges, Al Dimeola to Elvis Costello. As a fan of guitar period, I'll catch anyone play a guitar in just about any format. But this solo acoustic style is by far my favorite concert experience.

And yes, Eddie is DAMN good at it. He mastered the format right off the bat, great stripped down songs, awesome covers, great banter, heck even stage sets! -- but admittedly, he'd been doing lil acoustic shows for awhile, doing pre-show songs, lil one-offs.

And ahem, no excuses donnaruhl! Eddie's played five solo shows in the Bay Area: 2008 - Santa Cruz and Berkeley (2), 2011 - Oakland (2). Debatable whether Santa Barbara makes the cut as northern. But yep, Bridge School has really been just as good!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    I think everyone should try and see Ed solo if they have the opportunity to. Chris Cornell as well. I feel truly fortunate to live in this lifetime where I've gotten to see them both multiple times and will hopefully see them more in the future.

Ben Harper is probably a distant third and he was pretty amazing too.

For those who have no desire to see Ed solo, to each their own but I would urge you to try it once if you have the means to, then judge. He doesn't *only* play the uke, and the stories are priceless. I've been to 7 EV solo shows across 3 tours, each was special in their own way. The songs might repeat, but never the stories.

That's so true. It's not just about the music - his shows are an intimate experience. His stories and connection with the audience are amazing. And to hear Eddie put his own spin on some PJ classics is a treat.
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,644
    I've seen 7 over 2 tours. I'll make it a priority to catch at least one every time he tours solo. Incredible shows.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.