Options

What do you guys think about PHISH?

Comments

• Options
    They are my favorite band.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    never heard of them
  • Options
    never heard of them

That just seems Phishy to me :wtf:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    bought one of their live shows, but just couldn't get into them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,436
    81 wrote:

Shrooms & two joints will have you rocking to it nonstop ;)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    follow my man mkdevo on youtube if you want to see videos
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

that'd have me rocking to bieber too. :lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

Been there, done that :mrgreen:

That's the way to go to a Phish show :ugeek:
    What You Giving

• Options
    follow my man mkdevo on youtube if you want to see videos

I recommend his Hampton HD 2001 Odyssey :corn: .

The Perfect light show experience :mrgreen:
    What You Giving

• Options
    Check out this funny video. Shit Phish Phans Say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaQm1O-SMxk
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    81 wrote:

...being?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    81 wrote:

...being?

pretty sure it was this one.

220px-Live_one.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    81 wrote:

...being?

pretty sure it was this one.

220px-Live_one.jpg

well if you didn't like that they probably just aren't for you. Although that Tweezer might be a but much for the uninitiated...
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    ISO 2 12/30 tix and NYE for a friend (I know, long shot)
  • Options
    well if you didn't like that they probably just aren't for you. Although that Tweezer might be a but much for the uninitiated...

Stash too.

Give Chalkdust and Wilson another spin. And if you have the patience to let it develop...Harry Hood.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    The thing about Phish is that once you get "IT", it's pretty much game over. And I mean you will be hooked! (no pun intended) To be honest, I saw them twice back in the mid 90's and I really didn't like it. I mean I enjoyed some songs but I didn't get the whole vibe. I went more for the party. But then I made the mistake of seeing them in Alpharetta back in 2010 and yep I got "IT" big time. I have been to 17 shows since. Don't get me wrong I love PJ and they will always be my favorite band, but not gonna lie Phish is a very close second. Like people have stated above, Phish is just musical gods and they take you on such a ride and they play songs differently every time they play it. As the kids like to say it, Phish 3.0 is alot different than Phish back in the day (they don't really jam as long as you think) They played a total of 95 songs over 4 nights at last year's MSG New Year's run and not one repeated song. Damn how I wish PJ would do this. Trey is completely sober now and their music to me is better than ever. (see labor day run in colorado this past year) Just goes to show that the sterotype of being on drugs is the only way to like them? Couldn't disagree more.

-
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    sharptoesharptoe Rochester, NY Posts: 91
    I LOVE both bands so much. Seen PH 87 times and PJ 33 times. One of the toughest choices I had to make was the PJ Philly Spectrum shows or PH in Indio, CA Festival 8 where they played Exile on Main Street as their musical costume. I went the PJ route and got so lucky. On the 30th, we had front row in between Ed and Stone. The 31st 9th row. Amazing times and we made it into the PJ20 movie too!!!

But back to Phish, I've followed them all over the country since 1993. I love everything about the band. Just the sheer fact that you do not know what's coming next makes you listen to the music more intently. I can sit there and just stare at Trey and be memorized by every note he is playing. Sure there are times when all four of them can be off track and just be making noise (any 3.0 Split Open and Melt) or they can all be locked into a groove and all pistons are firing. I always wish PJ would segue more of their songs together or just improv out of something and eventually land into the beginning of a new song. Sure they jam out on RVM and Porch....but I want to be spoiled and get MORE.

Don't get me wrong, I am in love w both bands. Each gives me something meaningful that I do not get from other bands. A few years ago, Phish inducted Genesis into the RnR Hall of Fame and it was televised. PH played a few Genesis songs (not very well unfortunately) and they cut to Eddie in the audience watching The Phish from Vermont play. It was a cool moment to see (IMHO).

I almost always wear a PJ shirt to phish shows and vice versa. Guaranteed at a Phish show, I will see someone else with a PJ shirt on. SPAC this summer I saw a guy wearing a Canadian tour 2005 shirt. I will always go up and say hi!

Anyways. Looking fwd to the Phish New Years run at Madison Square Garden. Anyone else here going?
    Maybe so, Maybe not!
  • Options
    sharptoe wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I am in love w both bands. Each gives me something meaningful that I do not get from other bands. A few years ago, Phish inducted Genesis into the RnR Hall of Fame and it was televised. PH played a few Genesis songs (not very well unfortunately) and they cut to Eddie in the audience watching The Phish from Vermont play. It was a cool moment to see (IMHO).

I actually thought they did a great job musically, but their voices were kinda shot.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    not really into them, but their musicianship is something to be warranted respect
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    I am a big fan, not huge though and will be seeing them again for the NYE shows ( probably just one ).

Although I can get a little disinterested 14 or 15 minutes into a jam... There's nobody, and I mean not even PJ that is as tight and on key with their instruments as they are. They can jam for 7 minutes of ad-lib stuff and then just all come together dead on at the right time. It really is amazing to see live even though I prefer the PJ running around on stage type of show. Again, nit picking but man, they are one of the best at what they do. Go see them!
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Although I can get a little disinterested 14 or 15 minutes into a jam.

Depends on the jam. If it's really venturing into interesting areas, I don't care if it's 30 mins. But they've certainly had some meandering, noodling, non-directional jams that bore me to tears.
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    I'll try to keep it short, but here is a list of bands I've seen the most in my life.

Grateful Dead 169
    Phish 37
    PJ 35
    RUSH 15
    Iron Maiden 10

I LOVE Pearl Jam and started seeing them in 1991 (Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot C P Tour) and started seeing Phish in 1994. Since PJ didn't really play in the US this summer I saw Phish 8 times this summer (Deercreek X2, Alpine Valley X 2, SF X 3 and OKC).

And I can tell you without a doubt that on this past Summer Tour 1 and 2, they played and are playing the best that I have ever seen them play, so much so that I contemplated @ one point if they were better than Grateful Dead live. Phish this past summer was like a snowball rolling down a steep mountain side gaining more momentum as it kept rolling, I felt lucky enough to jump into the snowball 8 times this summer.

After the Pearl Jam summer tours of 2008 and 2010 I thought they were a better live band than Phish, but as of right now after what I saw Phish do this summer, I have changed my mind. I would LOVE to see PJ live soon to compare again, but I haven't seen them since PJ20 and it doesn't look good for 2013 so far.

The other thing is that since Phish came back in 2009 they have toured enough that I can go see them, it's EASY to order tickets from them, none of the crap like PJ where EVERYONE goes online @ once to try and order tickets. Thye have it down pat after all these years, but to answer the original question, I love Phish now more than ever and I ENJOY their concerts and don't take them for granted like I did with Grateful Dead as I know it can all come to an end real fast like it did when Jerry Garcia died.

If anyone gets a chance to go see Phish right now, do yourself a favor and go!
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    think they are boring.. don't get their populairty personally.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Love your variety Cob...
    So cool to see Maiden in there as well...(seen em 4 times my self)...
    And after pj...i prob have listened to the dead more than any other band...

Cob wrote:
    I'll try to keep it short, but here is a list of bands I've seen the most in my life.

Grateful Dead 169
    Phish 37
    PJ 35
    RUSH 15
    Iron Maiden 10

I LOVE Pearl Jam and started seeing them in 1991 (Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot C P Tour) and started seeing Phish in 1994. Since PJ didn't really play in the US this summer I saw Phish 8 times this summer (Deercreek X2, Alpine Valley X 2, SF X 3 and OKC).

And I can tell you without a doubt that on this past Summer Tour 1 and 2, they played and are playing the best that I have ever seen them play, so much so that I contemplated @ one point if they were better than Grateful Dead live. Phish this past summer was like a snowball rolling down a steep mountain side gaining more momentum as it kept rolling, I felt lucky enough to jump into the snowball 8 times this summer.

After the Pearl Jam summer tours of 2008 and 2010 I thought they were a better live band than Phish, but as of right now after what I saw Phish do this summer, I have changed my mind. I would LOVE to see PJ live soon to compare again, but I haven't seen them since PJ20 and it doesn't look good for 2013 so far.

The other thing is that since Phish came back in 2009 they have toured enough that I can go see them, it's EASY to order tickets from them, none of the crap like PJ where EVERYONE goes online @ once to try and order tickets. Thye have it down pat after all these years, but to answer the original question, I love Phish now more than ever and I ENJOY their concerts and don't take them for granted like I did with Grateful Dead as I know it can all come to an end real fast like it did when Jerry Garcia died.

If anyone gets a chance to go see Phish right now, do yourself a favor and go!
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    Zoso wrote:

I understand, although I ALWAYS have people say "Pearl Jam are still together?" when I tell them I am going to a Pearl Jam show....
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    Cob wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

I understand, although I ALWAYS have people say "Pearl Jam are still together?" when I tell them I am going to a Pearl Jam show....

I don't understand at all actually. "Boring" is one word I don't think applies to Phish in the slightest bit...even if you were to hate their music. Maybe some of their longer, meandering jams can get a bit boring for most people. But man, the tension and release jams of the 90's? Epic in every sense.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Cob wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

I don't understand at all actually. "Boring" is one word I don't think applies to Phish in the slightest bit...even if you were to hate their music. Maybe some of their longer, meandering jams can get a bit boring for most people. But man, the tension and release jams of the 90's? Epic in every sense.

Like how are any of these boring:

http://spinners-web-design.com/Phish/Ra ... telope.mp3
    Run Like An Antelope - 6/11/94

http://spinners-web-design.com/Phish/Ra ... %20One.mp3
    Chalkdust Torture - A Live One

http://spinners-web-design.com/Phish/Ra ... rother.mp3
    Brother - 5/17/92 (yeah the song is goofy but the short jam is straight up fire)

http://spinners-web-design.com/Phish/Ca ... 20Reba.mp3
    Reba - 5/6/92
  • Options
    Still glad to see this thread. I just don't get how you can't like these guys, or at least some of their songs. I suppose it just takes the patience and studying. But if you like good, well-crafted music, there's no way you can't like them. They're really incredible musicians and so very well-versed in timing and playing together. Like the Dead, they can improv up and down the scales with one another in such a magical way. As one previously wrote, I too wish PJ would segue more. When I go to a bad concert, I get annoyed with the continual stopping and starting of songs. I get annoyed with horrible, jokey, ha ha banter at a bad concert. I love where the mind wanders when the music just keeps on flowing and takes you places very distant spiritually. Phish give me that every single time. But, I get it, PJ is a different band, bred on different influences. I love the teasing too. Trey and Mike will tease their own songs (and the hundreds of other songs they've covered). These snippet teases are very fun to catch. They take the music to a nice personal level for the educated fan. If PJ were to do a tease inside a RVM jam of say a Ghost riff, or Dissident, or Sonic Reducer, or whatever, I think it would just add to the fun. To the uneducated ear, that shit just flies on by. But if you know your shit with Phish, and you're truly tuned in, catching a tease even for a few brief seconds as Trey likes to do, is really cool in my eyes. I love the segueing as it just keeps the party rolling, instead of stop, cheer, repeat, every 3-5 minutes. And I think they have totally got PJ trumped when it comes to their ticketing. PJ should totally run their ticketing like they do, except in my opinion for one thing: keeping the overall seniority and the four rows (1-2, 9-10) of lottery. But BY ALL FUCKING MEANS PJ, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE adopt the coolest idea ever that was mentioned previously in this thread about PHISH---YOUR TICKET STUB HAS A CODE THAT GIVES YOU A FREE DOWNLOAD OF THE SHOW YOU WERE AT, OFTEN AVAILABLE THE VERY NIGHT OF THE SHOW! I mean come on, how fuckin cool is that. How jizzin in their pants would all of us PJ fans be if they made that available to us? And definitely check out phish.net and see how they run their clickable links and histories of every single show and song histories with stats and stories included. Way cool, love to check that site out all the time. Nice little article In Rolling Stone about Trey opening up about his pills abuse and being totally clean the past 4 years or so. He's returned to a great work ethic and is tearing it up now. I wish his TAB would have a Vegas date.

Just scroll down this page and look all the incredible groups they've covered and how gigantic their song catalogue is:

http://phish.net/song/

If you're a "noob" as that video makes fun of, try these two songs as a primal start and let me know what you think.

Fast: "Chalk Dust Torture" Live from MSG December 30, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cdrgjp7T2A

Slow: "Waste" Live from MSG (Beautiful song!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6EiIdy8xVU
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    BinFrog wrote:
    Cob wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

your looking at it from being a phishead. some people don't like when bands go off on wanking or noodling. hell i've seen people leave in the middle of a porch or rvm jam.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,024
    Stash
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia