Options

frat boys

kirilovkirilov Posts: 3
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I have been to, I'd say, 15 PJ shows - in Vegas, state college and in between. Can I say this - If you cater to a certain audience by playing songs like Jeremy and Daughter then you get the audience you deserve. I guess Clive Davis demanded it, I don't know. I saw people heading to the exit and making a 180 when Jeremy began as though they'd never heard it before and that's all they came to see. Meanwhile, there was a mass exodus when Present Tense began. A message to the frat boy assholes - yes you - if it applies - I hate every last one of you. You make every Pearl Jam experience disgusting to the point where I've thrown my hands - you win - "I'm never going back." You are the scum of the earth. I don't know why in a time of war the government doesn't recruit from fraternities. They already have the group think state of mind - it'll be easy to make them food for missiles. I hate frat boys. Paying for friends. Hazed for friendship. Do you know how many I saw passed out on benches and left for dead? not a frat "brother" in sight. You're obnoxious, muscle bound, promiscuous, high-fiving mother fuckers. Gotta play beer pong. Gotta toss the old pig skin. Gotta do the Eagles chant in the middle of summer at a rock concert. Gotta break bottles. And what's with every frat boy calling every other frat boy a "faggot" - methinks you protest too much. Seriously - the more you say it the less you are - is that the rationale, the hope? I hope each of you suffer tremendously long and painful deaths.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    imfaithfulimfaithful Posts: 106
    present tense was the shit! it seemed to me that the guys really stepped it up once they played that song......
    I LOVE THIS BAND

"If some guy's not really giving me a reaction, I'll try and fucking get a reaction out of him. And I feed off of that. I go crazy. In a good way."-Mike McCready

www.myspace.com/lovethejam
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Someone must've really pissed in your Wheaties this morning. Look......we have to get over the fact that people who go to Pearl Jam shows are not always the hardcore, die-hard, tried and true Pearl Jam fans who spend countless hours on the board or collecting every PJ boot they can. It's unreasonable. Some people actually just go to hear those songs whereas the rest of us hang on to every word sung that evening. I say if people leave, fine....then so be it. I mean, I can say that I've been to concerts of bands that I was not always in to. I can say that I have held on, waiting for a certain song to be played live that may just so happen to be one of the band's greatest hits. Whenever I don't hear it, I just get over it. Some people just leave. However, spewing forth vile like "I hate every last one of you (frat boys)" only makes you look pathetic and a tad bit overzealous. Plus, comparing people who are contrary to your belief system to "frat boys" is tired and unoriginal. Try again.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Someone must've really pissed in your Wheaties this morning. Look......we have to get over the fact that people who go to Pearl Jam shows are not always the hardcore, die-hard, tried and true Pearl Jam fans who spend countless hours on the board or collecting every PJ boot they can. It's unreasonable. Some people actually just go to hear those songs whereas the rest of us hang on to every word sung that evening. I say if people leave, fine....then so be it. I mean, I can say that I've been to concerts of bands that I was not always in to. I can say that I have held on, waiting for a certain song to be played live that may just so happen to be one of the band's greatest hits. Whenever I don't hear it, I just get over it. Some people just leave. However, spewing forth vile like "I hate every last one of you (frat boys)" only makes you look pathetic and a tad bit overzealous. Plus, comparing people who are contrary to your belief system to "frat boys" is tired and unoriginal. Try again.

well said
    you'll always have those douchebags who come to concerts just to get wasted and hear on song they like....but you just have to ignore them....for me when pearl jam were on stage, i forgot about everybody else around and it was just me and the band.....man what a wonderful two nights!
    I LOVE THIS BAND

"If some guy's not really giving me a reaction, I'll try and fucking get a reaction out of him. And I feed off of that. I go crazy. In a good way."-Mike McCready

• Options
    imfaithful wrote:
    man what a wonderful two nights!

Might I say, sir......DAMNED jealous. Wish I could get just one night, but my time, I suppose, will be next year when they finally make their way to my neck of the woods. Glad you had a great time though.
  • Options
    kirilovkirilov Posts: 3
    nope...these people should not get a pass. they ruin evrything for everybody. I personally don't give two goddamns what they play - and the point wasn't their running to see jeremy. it's the - what did you call it? - spewed forth vile, etc - these people say the most disgusting things, do the most disgusting things - stoned by 4:30 - waiting in line to piss in bathroom sinks - commenting on every "fat chick" or otherwise that walks by..."faggot" this and "faggot" that...Pearl Jam - didn't they say somewhere that they named themselves that because they liked the idea of frat boys walking around with another word for cum on their hats and shirts? They hate the mentality too. The same mentality that booed bushleaguer last tour yet went to the vote for change to hear even flow. If PJ hates these people or at least their ugly "vile" perspectives then why do they cater to them by playing the songs they want to hear? If they played nothing but obscure shit from yield these people would never come back and we'd all be happier.
  • Options
    kirilov wrote:
    nope...these people should not get a pass. they ruin evrything for everybody. I personally don't give two goddamns what they play - and the point wasn't their running to see jeremy. it's the - what did you call it? - spewed forth vile, etc - these people say the most disgusting things, do the most disgusting things - stoned by 4:30 - waiting in line to piss in bathroom sinks - commenting on every "fat chick" or otherwise that walks by..."faggot" this and "faggot" that...Pearl Jam - didn't they say somewhere that they named themselves that because they liked the idea of frat boys walking around with another word for cum on their hats and shirts? They hate the mentality too. The same mentality that booed bushleaguer last tour yet went to the vote for change to hear even flow. If PJ hates these people or at least their ugly "vile" perspectives then why do they cater to them by playing the songs they want to hear? If they played nothing but obscure shit from yield these people would never come back and we'd all be happier.

you fag.

<chugs a beer>

Evenflowwwww....
    96 Hartford
    98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
    00 Boston 1-2, Jones Beach 1-2-3
    03 B'ham, Philly, Uniondale, Boston 2, NY 1-2, Hershey
    04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
    05 Borgata 2, Philly
    06 SNL, Ed Sullivan, Hartford, NJ 2
    10 MSG 1-2
    11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
    12 Amsterdam 1-2, Berlin 1-2, Copenhagen
    12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
    14 Amsterdam 1,2 Vienna, Berlin
  • Options
    You are making the assumption that these people follow PJ's every move. That's unreasonable. And perhaps they say and do vile things. The only example you've given me so far is that they do those things to themselves and their friends. So how is this hurting you exactly? I mean, if they sit around, calling themselves fag, then that is their business. It's only bad if you make it bad. Believe me, I got stuck sitting in front of four morons in Atlanta 2000 who did nothing all night but bitch about the boys not playing Jeremy and the fact that I stood all night long. At the end of the night, they decided that it would be good to throw beer all over me and my brother. What was great was the fact that they all ran after they did it. Why? I suppose they were concerned of the repercussions. You know what?! I could've fucking cared less. They didn't ruin my night b/c they were being pricks. I wasn't going to allow for that. You just have to get over this shit. A lot of people are morons and assholes. If I sat around, worried about it all the time, I would never enjoy anything.
  • Options
    You are making the assumption that these people follow PJ's every move. That's unreasonable. And perhaps they say and do vile things. The only example you've given me so far is that they do those things to themselves and their friends. So how is this hurting you exactly? I mean, if they sit around, calling themselves fag, then that is their business. It's only bad if you make it bad. Believe me, I got stuck sitting in front of four morons in Atlanta 2000 who did nothing all night but bitch about the boys not playing Jeremy and the fact that I stood all night long. At the end of the night, they decided that it would be good to throw beer all over me and my brother. What was great was the fact that they all ran after they did it. Why? I suppose they were concerned of the repercussions. You know what?! I could've fucking cared less. They didn't ruin my night b/c they were being pricks. I wasn't going to allow for that. You just have to get over this shit. A lot of people are morons and assholes. If I sat around, worried about it all the time, I would never enjoy anything.

That was me. I spilled beer all over you and your bro and you stood for it! Fag!

<chugs another beer>

whooo-hoooo.... JEREMY!
    96 Hartford
    98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
    04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
    05 Borgata 2, Philly
    10 MSG 1-2
    11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
    12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
  • Options
    Tonton wrote:
    That was me. I spilled beer all over you and your bro and you stood for it! Fag!

<chugs another beer>

whooo-hoooo.... JEREMY!

Ha..........well, you're the one who tossed a $7 beer.
  • Options
    Ha..........well, you're the one who tossed a $7 beer.

Acutally, it was mostly piss, coudln't get to the bathroom sink in time.

whooo-hoooo!!

GO EAGLES!
    96 Hartford
    98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
    04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
    05 Borgata 2, Philly
    10 MSG 1-2
    11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
    12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
  • Options
    Tonton wrote:
    Acutally, it was mostly piss, coudln't get to the bathroom sink in time.

whooo-hoooo!!

GO EAGLES!

Ah.......well, at least you didn't waste your beer.
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    I think we should get alcoholic beverages banned from PJ shows. It brings out the worst in some of these people.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    Ah.......well, at least you didn't waste your beer.

Hehe... well, good night. I was trying to get to you but I guess it's like you say... water off a duck's back.
    96 Hartford
    98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
    04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
    05 Borgata 2, Philly
    10 MSG 1-2
    11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
    12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
  • Options
    Tonton wrote:
    Hehe... well, good night. I was trying to get to you but I guess it's like you say... water off a duck's back.

Very little gets to me....unless I've been drinking. Then, I throw beer on people at concerts. j/k
  • Options
    Paul68Paul68 Posts: 13
    Yeah a lot of them are annoying. At boston i can't defanietly say it was frat boys but im assuming it was, when ed was tlaking about how it was a nice day in Boston, they started to chant "yankess suck" WTF?! your at a concert not a baseball game.
  • Options
    A few years back, the Philadelphia Flyers were playing the Buffalo Sabres in the Wachovia Center. After the game, a fan threw a full beer on the Buffalo coach. Afterward at the media session, the coach was asked about the incident and instead of painting the entire crowd with a broad brush he just shrugged his shoulders and said that in a crowd of 20,000 people - no matter what arena you are in - there will always be a certain percentage of idiots. It's just plain math and odds. Same with concert crowds. Some is the luck of where your seats are. My seats were in 202 row L and I had a great time with absolutely no incidents either before the show, during or after. Those frat boys will grow up and more than likely be your boss at some point in time.
  • Options
    UndieTaker wrote:
    I think we should get alcoholic beverages banned from PJ shows. It brings out the worst in some of these people.

it does....but me and my friends were tailgaiting both days drinking alot....and we were fine.....people have to take responsibility for themselves and treat others with respect which is hard for some people to understand,they think they can get away with anything they want because its a concert....it happens everywhere
    I LOVE THIS BAND

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Are they importing beer down in the states now? Didn't know you could get drunk on the piss down there. Frat boys really need to learn how to handle watered down apple juice.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    whatever.

I happen to like to hear Even Flow live. And Daughter. And Betterman. And Jeremy.

Does this make me a frat boy? Does this make me a bad fan?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    SpinMeRoundSpinMeRound Posts: 14
    that because somebody was in a fraternity in college that means they can't be a big PJ fan and only care about seeing the hits from Ten live? I couldn't disagree more. My buddies from college (yes, we were in a frat) and I get together a few times in different cities each time PJ tours. Yes, we are huge fans and would much rather hear Satan's Bed than Jeremy. Yes, we like to have a few beers before and during the show....but don't feel the need to start fights or act like general assholes. Now that we are all in out late 20s and live in different parts of the country, its increasingly difficult to get a big group of us together on a regular basis, but PJ shows are a great way to hang out and see our favorite band. The notion that because somebody was in a fraternity means that they aren't a true PJ is an obvious stereotype...and frankly makes the people who perpetuate it sound stupid and bitter.
    Buffalo '96, Merriweather '98, VFC (D.C.) '98, Jones Beach III '00, Buffalo '03, Camden I '03, MSG I & II '03, Albany '06, East Rutherford II '06, MSG II '08, MSG I '10
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    There are jocks / cocks / frat boy / scumbag anally retentive / closet homosexual / piss beer drinking / women abusing dicks all over the world. It just so happens that they all seem to make their habit in the northern part of the American continent! The last concert i went to over there was at some fairgounds in New Jersey, years ago, and fuck me was it scary. Not in a oh dear this is goping to turn violent and i cant handle sort of way, but in a oh dear, no wonder these inbred fucks love running off to war every 20 years. Keeps Hicksvilles gene pool limited to its nine toes fifty cousins quota.

There certainly seems to be a well played out stereotype of the average American twenty something male. Baseball cap wearing, texas horn two finger saluting, whooping and hollering, piss weak beer drinking, wife beating, shrviled dick, no sexual stamina, hunt in packs, deny to ther world that they arent gay, that Dubya is great, that kickin ass around the world is your privelege, that God AND santa really do exist.

Ive never heard so much bitching about concerts in all my life. Most of it well founded, which leads one to the conclusion that this is a purely North American phenomenon.
    Is this why Ed's pissed and miserable the last few days? Is he missing the London love?

When September rolls around, lets see how many complaint threads there are about the EU shows. We'll fuckin show you guys how Rock n Rolls done.

Rock On!
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    kirilov wrote:
    I have been to, I'd say, 15 PJ shows - in Vegas, state college and in between. Can I say this - If you cater to a certain audience by playing songs like Jeremy and Daughter then you get the audience you deserve. I guess Clive Davis demanded it, I don't know. I saw people heading to the exit and making a 180 when Jeremy began as though they'd never heard it before and that's all they came to see. Meanwhile, there was a mass exodus when Present Tense began. A message to the frat boy assholes - yes you - if it applies - I hate every last one of you. You make every Pearl Jam experience disgusting to the point where I've thrown my hands - you win - "I'm never going back." You are the scum of the earth. I don't know why in a time of war the government doesn't recruit from fraternities. They already have the group think state of mind - it'll be easy to make them food for missiles. I hate frat boys. Paying for friends. Hazed for friendship. Do you know how many I saw passed out on benches and left for dead? not a frat "brother" in sight. You're obnoxious, muscle bound, promiscuous, high-fiving mother fuckers. Gotta play beer pong. Gotta toss the old pig skin. Gotta do the Eagles chant in the middle of summer at a rock concert. Gotta break bottles. And what's with every frat boy calling every other frat boy a "faggot" - methinks you protest too much. Seriously - the more you say it the less you are - is that the rationale, the hope? I hope each of you suffer tremendously long and painful deaths.

So you're saying you don't like frat boys???
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    They are all punks... however, how can we demand a certain mode of behaviour or attitude in order to attend a concert?

Teacher! Leave them kids alone!

Step around the passed out ones, ignore that chants, elbow them out of the way, but you can't ban them or kill them. They are baby punks.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    I get the whole "frat boy" description but as a former sorority girl myself, it is getting a bit tired. i know many 'frat boys' who aren't arrogant, beer- chugging, bottle-breaking jerks at concerts and I happen to attend most of my PJ shows with a former frat boy. He is a hardcore PJ fan who's in the 10c and doesn't scream for Evenflow and Jeremy.

so much hate for Greek life here - i bet most of those 'frat boys' in the parking lot aren't even in fraternities.
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    kirilov wrote:

I agree that there was plenty of bad behavior to go around and I could definitely do without it. I don't have much tolerance for disrespectful, rude and obnoxious behavior either. I don't think wanting to hear Jeremy makes you less of a Pearl Jam fan, but I do believe if you don't really get the message of this band and try to live by it, you aren't a true fan. They probably are trying to overcompensate for their insecurities - but they have to go through life, living everyday, feeling that shitty about themselves. Unfortunately, they have as much of a right to attend these shows as I do (although it burns me when they get better seats)! The best I can say is don't let them ruin your experience - then they really win. When PJ takes the stage, all the other crap disappears for me. I successfully blocked out the 2 jerks who were rolling around on the ground trying to beat the crap out of each other. You have to just let it go...don't take it in. Their experience doesn't have to be yours.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I won't speculate as to whether the assholes in question are genuine "frat boys" or not ... I've met plenty of jerks both in and out of frats, so it's anyone's guess ... but it has seemed to me over the years that outdoor venues draw more of these people. Or maybe they draw the same amount, but the idiots in question just feel more free to let their inner assholes run wild at outdoor shows? I don't know what it is, but I always see more bad behavior at amphitheater shows. That and the horrible traffic and parking conditions are why I'll take an arena show any day. A huge thanks to PJ for playing the 3 shows closest to me at indoor venues!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    I get the whole "frat boy" description but as a former sorority girl myself, it is getting a bit tired. i know many 'frat boys' who aren't arrogant, beer- chugging, bottle-breaking jerks at concerts and I happen to attend most of my PJ shows with a former frat boy. He is a hardcore PJ fan who's in the 10c and doesn't scream for Evenflow and Jeremy.

so much hate for Greek life here - i bet most of those 'frat boys' in the parking lot aren't even in fraternities.

My son is engineerng frat boy at UF and they have their moments - but it is confined to campus activities. They have limits and lives and see those around them that don't. Neither he (nor I) take offense with this label (frat boy) because it is just that - a label. Used but narrowly applicable.

Last surf trip he & some friends took to the outer banks - they were annoyed by the obnoxious frat group in the house next door. laughed when the cops came. called them "frat-asses".
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    Paul68 wrote:
    Yeah a lot of them are annoying. At boston i can't defanietly say it was frat boys but im assuming it was, when ed was tlaking about how it was a nice day in Boston, they started to chant "yankess suck" WTF?! your at a concert not a baseball game.

Apparently you have never been to boston before. EVERYTHING REVOLVES AROUND THE RED SOX. This is not a unique experience in boston and certainly not unique to "frat boys"
  • Options
    Whoever started this thread needs to lighten up. There are going to be douche bags at every show, deal with it. Your generalization of the "frat guys" is lame and tired.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    UndieTaker wrote:

I agree and I think Ed should lead by exmple and stop drinking wine as well. :rolleyes:

I think all the frat bashing is so over played on this board. It's almost as tired as conservative bashing on a moving train. There are jerks in all walks of life and not all frat guys are what you're stereotyping.

I was in a frat and was president of it as were two other ten club members I went to college with and we enjoy a show just as much as anyone else. Tonight will be number 25 for me and I can't wait.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13