*** EV Tour Phoenix Fanviews Here 11/04/12 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,011
edited December 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Comerica Theater
Phoenix, AZ.
Nov 04, 2012

01. Elderly Woman Behind The Curtain In A Small Town

(Ed briefly mentions the first time he played Phoenix in 1991 and the last time in 2003. He comments that it has been too long. He thanks them for being able to come to the show even though it had moved from it’s original date several months ago)

02. Brain Damage-(Waters)
03. Sometimes
04. Can’t Keep
05. Sleeping By Myself
06. Without You

(Ed talks about the ukulele being a naturally happy sounding instrument. When he got into the ukulele he was at the lowest point in his adult life. At first he wanted to destroy the “happy sounding” instrument. He let the uke sit for a few days and then decided he would bring it down to his level and wrote some of the saddest songs he could. He says the next song is not one of the sad songs but a happy one. “I gave one back to the uke, and I had also met a wonderful girl.”)

07. You’re True (towards the end of the song says, “at this point the couple had been together for about ten years, had a couple of kids and were going to get married, taking it slow you know...”)

08. Light Today

(Ed tells the story about staying up late in one beautiful, clear night with a bright full moon. All of his friends and family were asleep but he wanted to enjoy the evening. He took his portable recorder and walked to the beach while recording the sound of the waves that are used during the song “Light Today”. He talks about how beautiful and peaceful the evening was and great the recording came out but he goes on to say that if “you listen to the whole tape you can hear these great waves and I am walking back to the house and I took a different path that was mostly sticker bushes so towards the end of the you can hear me saying ‘fuck, ow, fuck fuck ow fuck’ as I walk back to the house.”)

09. Millworker (Taylor)

(Ed talks about good kids coming from good parents and parents in general. He mentions that he never got me meet his dad but when hanging out in a jazz club in Mesa he met a guy playing with the band who was a friend of Ed’s father. Ed goes on to say that he never got to play music for his dad but he does get to play music for his dad’s best friend. He then asks the man (Danny Jones?) to stand up. He says Danny is a great dad as well.)

10. Just Breathe (Ed asks the audience if they have heard the Willie Nelson version and proceeds to sing the song the way Willie does. Ed says “I probably know Willie’s version better than my own by now)

(Ed talks about rafting with Sean Penn after shooting the film “Into The Wild”. Brian is in the audience and Ed invites him up to look at the campfire he has on stage. Brian stays on stage while the next songs are played)

11. Far Behind
12. Guaranteed
13. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard

(Ed talks about back packing with Brian and Sean Penn a bit more and mentions what a hero Penn is for everything he is doing in Haiti. He suggests people check out what they can do to help Haiti.
http://jphro.org )

14. Rise (Brian leaves the stage)
15. Better Man (hi string guitar version)
16. Masters Of War-(Dylan)

(Ed says the political process is making him physically sick. He talks about how great the country could be if we just got “the right people out of the way and let the country run the way it should”)

17. Unthought Known
18. Porch

Encore Break 1

19. Wishlist
20. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Hannan)
21. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Bryant, Bryant) {performed normally WITH mics and PA]
22. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglova)

(Ed tells a story about being stuck in Gila Bend. A person in the audience shouts at Ed continuously even claiming to be the “Tom” of the story. Ed says if you get a chance stop by and see if Tom and Ava are still around)

23. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
24. Arc

Encore Break 2

25. Rockin’ In The Free World w/ Glen Hansard-(Young)
26. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard-(Petersong)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

Glen Hansard Set List
01. Leave (Glen uses his loop sampler to manipulate some vocals)
02. Love, Don’t Leave Me Waiting/Respect-(Redding)
03. The Gift
04. Pennies In The Fountain
05. Way Back In The Way Back When (new song)
06. Low Rising
07. Astral Weeks/-(Van Morrison)/Smile-(Ament, Vedder) short tag
08. Song Of Good Hope
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Elderly woman Behind the curtain? New song
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Another great show in a not so interesting, bland building...
    Night 3 of my tour, see u in new Mexico
    ?? shows and counting....GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Great show. Millworker and Masters of War were highlights for me.

Glen just killed it as the opener.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I had a fn blast tonight!!

Better show than the SD show I saw last year.
    I really expected Ed to get political and he didn't say much of anything. After all, AZ is pretty fn stupid!

Thanks Es. Had fun! :D
  • danphxarizdanphxariz Posts: 29
    edited November 2012
    Agreed, great show. When Ed mentioned the first and last times he'd played in Phoenix (1991 and 2003), I felt blessed to have been at both - I think every one in the Phoenix area, except the first show at Mesa Ampitheater in 1993 (I was at the 2nd). And I'm happy he said he'd be back to Phoenix and it wouldn't be long. Hopefully that's true. Lots of highlights, couldn't possibly just pick one. Was a little disappointed that Boom was in Vegas but didn't appear tonight in Phoenix, and nobody offered him $5,000 to play Black : ) Aside from that it was great. Lots of idiots left between encore set #1 and set #2, so they missed hearing Rockin in the Free World and Hard Sun. Too bad for them - those were both great. Hope he keeps his word and comes back to Phoenix before long - great show. And Glen Hansard was amazing also.

Dan P
    # 12xxx
    Post edited by danphxariz on
    "Butter hands" flew from her side? I wish I had butter hands. Mmmm, butter.
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    For a show I have been anticipating all year, it lived up to the build up! So happy Eddie and Glen came to town tonight! Eddie was so comfortable and spot on tonight. Falling Slowly brought on some tears... It was so clear. I envy those who are anticipating his next shows... You will not be disappointed.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I now get Arc! Had my seats upgraded a quarter the way through from the obstructed crap tickets to 3rd row, that was awesome!!!!
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • beautiful set!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Before I got there I wondered how it would sound at Comerica, the building is pretty awful. The sound was great. Glen was amazing, he puts so much heart into his singing. Had third row, perfect view. Sad it is over. Masters of War was my favorite too.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • I have to admit, I was very disappointed with the 10C tickets. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I was put in row 30 with some other 10C members. In front of us were some people who purchased online with the general public...not to mention their kids had balcony tickets and were upgraded to the front row the day of the show. Over a decade in the 10C and I could have purchased better seats online. I'm not sure that the 10C admin were aware of that.

Great show, though! I wish I could have been in row 5 like the 2003 PJ show.
    11/6/1993 Mesa, AZ
    6/7/2003 Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 Phoenix, AZ
  • Great show. Glen killed the opening act. Seriously.

Personal highlights were EW, Master of War (fantastic), and Porch.

Also, my 10c tickets were 34th row (thankful for tickets, but hoping for better). Wife talked one of the employees into a upgrade, 14th row, dead center. I was right at eye level. Unbelievable. Looking forward to seeing the whole band hopefully soon.
    Ill take the firmest path...oh, and I must refuse your test

Stockholm 6/28/14, Oslo 6/28/14, Phoenix11/19/13, Phoenix 11/4/12 EV, San Diego 7/5/11 EV, Hawaii 12/10/06 w/U2, Phoenix 6/7/03 (front row!), Phoenix 9/13/95,
  • TN70407TN70407 Posts: 206
    Awesome show, my first time seeing Ed's solo shows and it didn't disappoint. Thanks so much for coming out to phx. I guess I can complain about the 10c tickets too, but had a great time anyways. Biggest complaint was the fellow fans in Az! Really guys have a good time but shut it down a little early so u ain't getting up to go to the ammo can every four songs. Never saw so many people leaving in the middle of songs. Well. Got to get on the road now, I have to stop and look for Tom and Avis on my way thru Gila Bend.
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    TC82553 wrote:
    I have to admit, I was very disappointed with the 10C tickets. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I was put in row 30 with some other 10C members. In front of us were some people who purchased online with the general public..

I know for the Austin show night 2 tickets had been on sale for a couple of days, and I decided to see what they had left. Found Row 2 in the orchestra pit, just left of the stage!! :shock: :o :shock: :o I have no idea where my 10C tickets will be for Friday, but man I'm super stoked about the tickets I bought through the box office for the Sunday show.
  • majorly bummed out with the 10 club seats :cry::cry::cry: This is my 6th Eddie Vedder show and it seems like they're progressively moving me further and further from the stage. I know it's random seating - I'm just bummed that most of the people between me and the stage bought their tickets elsewhere. I had faith that the 10club was going to bring the magic since I was bringing my dad for his 70th birthday, so that only added to my self imposed, disappointment.

As far as the show goes... Glen Hansard was spectacular! Eddie was in a great mood and sounded ridiculously good.... though it would have been cool to see his facial expressions, haha.

Looking forward to the next show!!
    My only gripe from last night was my seats. Section 202, row 3.

Not...good.

Other than that, it was great.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Great show!

I saw EV at The Wiltern on his first solo tour (07 or 08?), and 3 times last year in Southern California. This show seemed much more light-hearted and joyous. The Elderly Woman/Brain Damage/Sometimes trifecta was a great way to open the show. Ed seemed to be in a great mood, and it was fun to hear all the stories he told.

"Millworker" and "Open All Night" both tell amazing stories, and it was great to hear Ed play his version of both songs.

The Brian fella referred to in the orignal post is Brian Dierker, who is a river adventure guide who played the character "Rainey" in "Into The Wild". We were sitting next to him and his wife, and both were very cordial...you could tell they were happy to be there. We had no idea who he was, but when Eddie gave him a shout-out, he stood up and waved to the crowd. Eddie then had him come on stage to sit in front of a campfire during the next few songs. EV has always been good about paying homage to his musical heroes, but I like it better when he speaks of regular folk with whom he has crossed paths.

According to Ed's story, after ITW was finished, Ed, Sean Penn and Brian went on some river adventure. Ed played some of the songs for them while they were camping. Hence, the campfire during the ITW songs.
  • I am still floating from last night's show. Ed was fantastic, he is for sure getting better with age. My seats were tremendous, sec 4 row 19 had some great people to sit and share this experience with. Could not have asked for a better set list or performance from a dude in a lot of ways my friends and I grew up with in the Northwest so many years ago. Big thank you to Marc for putting on a great meet and greet and the Crescent. I was blessed to meet some awesome people. OK its obvious I had a great time. Again thanks to all for a great vibe and a time I will soon not forget!
  • Shawshank wrote:
    TC82553 wrote:
    I have to admit, I was very disappointed with the 10C tickets. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I was put in row 30 with some other 10C members. In front of us were some people who purchased online with the general public..

I know for the Austin show night 2 tickets had been on sale for a couple of days, and I decided to see what they had left. Found Row 2 in the orchestra pit, just left of the stage!! :shock: :o :shock: :o I have no idea where my 10C tickets will be for Friday, but man I'm super stoked about the tickets I bought through the box office for the Sunday show.

Not to harp on the policy, but it states: "We reserve the best seats in the house for fan club tickets, starting from the first rows on the floor and extending back. We also reserve the side sections closest to the stage when necessary. All Ten Club tickets are for reserved seating unless otherwise announced."

I'm not expecting front row, but I would expect that the 10C members would be in front of the "general public" seating. I'm going to have to weigh my options on my renewal since I could have got front row on the day of the show.
    11/6/1993 Mesa, AZ
    6/7/2003 Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 Phoenix, AZ
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    TC82553 wrote:
    Shawshank wrote:
    TC82553 wrote:

Not to harp on the policy, but it states: "We reserve the best seats in the house for fan club tickets, starting from the first rows on the floor and extending back. We also reserve the side sections closest to the stage when necessary. All Ten Club tickets are for reserved seating unless otherwise announced."

I'm not expecting front row, but I would expect that the 10C members would be in front of the "general public" seating. I'm going to have to weigh my options on my renewal since I could have got front row on the day of the show.

For EV shows, the policy, which is clearly stated when 10C ticket sales are announced, is different. The EV 10C seats are scattered throughout the venue.
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    TC82553 wrote:
    Shawshank wrote:
    TC82553 wrote:

Eddie Vedder tickets have ALWAYS been random and always stated as such.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Posts: 2,340
    I am still floating from last night's show. Ed was fantastic, he is for sure getting better with age. My seats were tremendous, sec 4 row 19 had some great people to sit and share this experience with. Could not have asked for a better set list or performance from a dude in a lot of ways my friends and I grew up with in the Northwest so many years ago. Big thank you to Marc for putting on a great meet and greet and the Crescent. I was blessed to meet some awesome people. OK its obvious I had a great time. Again thanks to all for a great vibe and a time I will soon not forget!

Thanks to you and all the others that made the pre-party so fun! Meeting so many fellow EV/PJ fans was great. I'll try to get my pics from the pre-party up on the AZ PJ Fans Facebook page later today. No word on how much we raised for Camp Sunrise, but I should have that figure soon.

As for the show...I was worried about the quality of Ed's performance when I heard that the XM broadcast wasn't happening. After experiencing the 2003 Phoenix show (following Vegas) where Ed was "sick," I was hoping Vegas didn't cost us again. The show last night was great. We may have lost 20 min of show (compared to the length of the Vegas shows) but we got a very fun performance. I don't know if I've ever heard him do a better version of Masters of War. We will also all be talking about "going to the ammo can" forever. Oh...thanks to all of the people who didn't realize that a second encore is standard. I was in row 12 and was able to get right behind the VIP section for the last two songs. Those people leaving made it that much easier to rush the front.
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • I know for the Austin show night 2 tickets had been on sale for a couple of days, and I decided to see what they had left. Found Row 2 in the orchestra pit, just left of the stage!! :shock: :o :shock: :o I have no idea where my 10C tickets will be for Friday, but man I'm super stoked about the tickets I bought through the box office for the Sunday show.[/quote]

I'm not expecting front row, but I would expect that the 10C members would be in front of the "general public" seating. I'm going to have to weigh my options on my renewal since I could have got front row on the day of the show.[/quote]

For EV shows, the policy, which is clearly stated when 10C ticket sales are announced, is different. The EV 10C seats are scattered throughout the venue.[/quote]

I've never complained about ten club seats before, but last night was a disappointment. Sorry!
    Row 32, sec 5 with non fans all around me! I wouldn't have minded if I was surrounded by some fellow fans, but these ppl were lame!! But I made the best of it and screw you lame ppl around me, one girl in front of me kept giving me a look, you know the turn around look!! LOL...
    I loved the show and to be honest all the seats in the place are pretty good. When ppl started streaming out before the end, I got right down to the front for the last 3 songs.
    Ed was supposedly not feeling well, we saw him going into the sound check and were told he was sick and couldn't come over to personally greet the folks waiting to say hi, he waved and then kind of held his stomach. I think that is why he was a bit light on banter, and it may have been the first show ever where he didn't have a bottle of wine with him on stage.
    For me, Masters of War, Unthought Known, Arc, highlights. Glen was awesome!
    Thanks Ed, hope your feeling better, see you back this way soon!
  • The ammo can does still have me laughing. What was he drinking? I was about 10 feet from him, looked like guava juice.

Did anyone stick around and get to meet Ed after the show? I saw the buses and a small group when we were leaving.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • An amazing gig!!! Eddie sounded great and I loved my seats (sec 2 row 18) - thanks 10club!!

As someone else mentioned there was a ridiculous amount of people who were wandering around in the middle of songs - I found that really distracting and annoying

Other than that, the highlights were masters of war, light years and society. Glen was a great opener - I loved how full the theatre was for his set! He's got an amazing voice and I love his interactive style.

Thanks Naujackan for organizing the pre-party - met some great people.

Stuck around after the concert - Eddie waved but didn't come over to greet fans. Was alright - dude put on a great show and there were rumours he wasn't well.

Overall, well worth the trip from Vancouver!!
    Vancouver, GM Place 2005
    Vancouver, GM Place 2009
    Seattle, EV Solo, Benaroya Hall 2011
    Winnipeg, MTS Center, 2011
    Manchester, June 2012
    Phoenix, EV Solo, Comerica Theatre 2012
  • chaslilchaslil Posts: 312
    It was a fun show, but I wish I had brought my binoculars, being 28 rows away with no video screen. I thought the random aspect had to do with seniority.

There seemed to be quite a delay between Arc and the final encore, and a substantial number of fans left. I was worried myself we weren't going to get the traditional Hard Sun closing , but all's well that ends well.

Happy to have witnessed my first EV solo show, now please bring it to Denver!
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • The set list are pretty much the same :(

He is much better mixing the PJ set lists then his own :?
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
    So...

I just found out the EV Phoenix poster glows in the dark! :o
    Had no idea!!

Fn awesome!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    The set list are pretty much the same :(

He is much better mixing the PJ set lists then his own :?

Yeah, but I don't think these shows were intended to have people following the tour show to show.
  • NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Posts: 2,340
    mca47 wrote:

The article was edited. When I read it this morning it didn't have the last bit about the 2nd encore. I think a certain reporter was one of the unknowing masses who left after Arc :fp:
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16