the i cant have an opinion thread

Comments

• We talkin' 'bout T-shirts, man. Not the games. Not the games that this man closed out to clinch another championship. We talkin' 'bout T-shirts.

how the hell can i make my teammates better by wearing a different shirt!
  • We talkin' 'bout T-shirts, man. Not the games. Not the games that this man closed out to clinch another championship. We talkin' 'bout T-shirts.

how the hell can i make my teammates better by wearing a different shirt!

lol, never gets old
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    the shirt is funny...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I'm on the fence about this one.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    can you articulate your fence sitting position? or more importantly what specific reasons do we have for hating this shirt?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I really don't see a problem with the shirt and my political views are about as conservative as they can get.

Have you ever heard my theory about manned fences along the borders with guns and land mines?
  • DS1119 wrote:
    I really don't see a problem with the shirt and my political views are about as conservative as they can get.

Have you ever heard my theory about manned fences along the borders with guns and land mines?
    :fp: :nono: :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    DS1119 wrote:

:fp: :nono: :lol:

:mrgreen:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    DS1119 wrote:

I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it wasn't a political thing that had neily angry over the shirt. I thought neily meant that it was "shameful" (a word I wouldn't think somebody would use over simply a political view, especially since he asked I respect his view on the matter) because it was offensive to Hispanic people. Seeing as Romo is Hispanic, and I'm white, I don't really feel comfortable saying what Hispanic people should find offensive. Living in Texas I know quite a few Hispanic people though, and it's been my experience that they have a very healthy sense of humor about such things. I have a Hispanic buddy who loves wearing a novelty/hoax INS shirt. Much the same way you see pot smokers wearing DEA shirts, having a sense of humor and laughing about the people that fuck with you and yours. Reminds me of the scene from one of the Cheech and Chong movies where Cheech's cousins call Immigration on themselves to get deported back to Mexico so they can get a free ride to a wedding.

Not every Hispanic person may find that funny though, but l'll leave that to the Hispanic community to decide whether or not they're offended.

Maybe it is political, I don't know. I couldn't really find out exactly what was so shameful about it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:

I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it wasn't a political thing that had neily angry over the shirt. I thought neily meant that it was "shameful" (a word I wouldn't think somebody would use over simply a political view, especially since he asked I respect his view on the matter) because it was offensive to Hispanic people. Seeing as Romo is Hispanic, and I'm white, I don't really feel comfortable saying what Hispanic people should find offensive. Living in Texas I know quite a few Hispanic people though, and it's been my experience that they have a very healthy sense of humor about such things. I have a Hispanic buddy who loves wearing a novelty/hoax INS shirt. Much the same way you see pot smokers wearing DEA shirts, having a sense of humor and laughing about the people that fuck with you and yours. Reminds me of the scene from one of the Cheech and Chong movies where Cheech's cousins call Immigration on themselves to get deported back to Mexico so they can get a free ride to a wedding.

Not every Hispanic person may find that funny though, but l'll leave that to the Hispanic community to decide whether or not they're offended.

Maybe it is political, I don't know. I couldn't really find out exactly what was so shameful about it.

i thought it was a poke at racial profiling when choosing who to pull over.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

i thought it was a poke at racial profiling when choosing who to pull over.

Yeah, the shirt is, and other things too. I think it's a general statement. I just meant that I thought neily thought it was shameful because it was possibly offensive. I wouldn't think he'd be that worked up over somebody making that statement, regardless of their politics. But I could be wrong. He never really articulated why he found it shameful. He just made a comment about how much money he makes, that he should be ashamed, and that he's a jackoff.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    I don't find anything wrong with this.
    I miss igotid88
    well that's all I wanted to know is why it's shameful
    RW81233 wrote:
    well that's all I wanted to know is why it's shameful

it's about the white man keeping everyone down, and i assume the op is white.... :lol:

i'm kidding
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    IMHO, he is simply using his time in the spotlight to make a political statement with humor...it is not as if he is trying to offend anyone with differing political views.
    exactly he's positioning those that hate the shirt into a tough spot, because they have to come to terms with why they hate the shirt.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    in all honesty he looks like a suicide bomber
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    :fp:
  • in all honesty he looks like a suicide bomber
    :roll:
    Minus the vest of explosives?
    Tell me, what does a suicide bomber look like?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

:lol::lol:

romo_square_rev.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,924
    in all honesty he looks like a suicide bomber

:fp:

you are a total dipshit. for the life of me, I can't figure why you posted this. I knew you were a frontrunner sposrts fan, but I didn't know you were a bigot.

sorry, he's not a yankee robot who is only allowed to speak in cliches and dress a certain way. sorry, he's not a choking dog either.

World Series: Sergio Romo's roots run deep

By Elliott Almond

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:ealmond@mercurynews.com">ealmond@mercurynews.com</a><!-- e -->

BRAWLEY -- The outside world seems so far away from the dusty town Sergio Romo calls home.

Located at the floor of California, Brawley is an economically depressed community of 25,000 residents surrounded by fields of sugar beets, melons and lettuce.

But this week the Great Beyond feels a lot closer as the lovable Giants reliever employs his wicked slider against the Detroit Tigers in the World Series. Romo's emergence as San Francisco's savior is amplified in this desolate region where the mien tilts decidedly south to the Baja scrublands a short drive from here.

"He put Brawley on the map," said Rusty Garcia, a member of the city's district board of education. "Even people who don't know him have adopted him. Everybody has this little glow."

Brawley needed a folk hero about now. A swarm of earthquakes in late August damaged buildings in Imperial Valley, including Brawley Union High's auditorium that is now closed for a year. Then two separate fires in recent weeks destroyed a 60-year-old family run furniture store and a bar in downtown.

No wonder the bartender at Las Chabelas Mexican restaurant rang a bell Thursday night as soon as Romo got the final out to preserve the Giants' 2-0 victory in Game 2. Among the patrons leading cheers were Mayor George A. Nava and state assemblyman V. Manuel Perez (D-Coachella).

A few hours earlier, Romo's high school coach, Pedro Carranza, stood in a blazing autumn sun at Eddie Wiest Field watching his three-time defending league champions run through drills.

"It's not the game but what it represents," Carranza said. "I don't think Sergio understands the magnitude of what he's doing."

Baseball has been part of the fiber that has connected this tortilla flat valley for generations. That has never wavered, though Brawley is a football town with the requisite imagery of "Friday Night Lights."

Carranza played in the minors with the Colorado
    Rockies and later in the Mexican League. He is one of almost two dozen Brawley-bred athletes who have played professionally.

The list includes Sid Monge, Rudy Seanez, Steve Whitehead and Andrew Romo, Sergio's brother. Whitehead teaches at Brawley High. Seanez opened a training facility in nearby Imperial where he hopes to develop the next generation of ballplayers. Monge coaches in Mexico.

One of Brawley High's bigger players is Eddie Espinoza, 17, who is Romo's second cousin. Senior catcher C.J. Perez also knows the Giants reliever. His dad is close friends with Sergio's father, Frank Romo.

"My dad said Sergio always had heart," said C.J., who like Romo has dreamed of being a big leaguer since childhood.

Romo's exploits are energizing the current crop of Brawley kids.

"It makes you think you could do this, too," said Perez, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. "It's my turn."

Perez already walks along a path Romo once tread. It goes in the opposite direction of the well-played immigration trail to El Norte.

Brawley's baseball success has been attributed to the opportunities afforded players in Mexicali, Mexico, 22 miles due south on CA 111.

Mexican Americans from the Imperial Valley have been crossing the border to play winter ball for generations. Frank Romo did it as a child. He later brought Sergio and Andrew with him.

And he's still doing it at 55 in Mexico's Veterans League. He's just not going to play this weekend because of the World Series.

"There were times I'd play Monday and Wednesday in Brawley, Tuesday and Thursday in El Centro and the weekends in Mexicali," Frank Romo said.

Seanez, who played for nine teams in a lengthy career as a big league reliever, said the severe conditions of Mexican ballparks helped shaped American kids. They played on dirt with sacks used as base bags.

"They played as if the game meant something," said Seanez, who often joined the Romos in Winter League games in Mexico.

Carranza, the Brawley high coach, did as well. "If you can catch a ground ball down there, you can field a ball almost anywhere," he said.

Mexicali is where Sergio Romo learned to be fearless. Playing against men forced the teens to mature quickly.

"It teaches you you're not always going to be the best -- even when you've still got your good stuff," Seanez said. "It stays with you."

It stuck with Romo.

An Imperial Valley Press editorial this week said "a skinny guy with intense eyes, a huge black beard and an animated demeanor more likely would find fame as a member of a heavy metal band than as an athlete."

But for all the theatrics, Romo personifies his community as a humble, hardworking guy. He is one of baseball's most genuine players while serving as the Giants' No. 1 ambassador. Every first-pitch ceremony at AT&T Park ends with him catching the ball and presenting it to the honored guest. Every fun TV spot the Giants have done the past two seasons has centered on the gregarious reliever.

"That's the type of people you are going to meet out here," said Nava, Brawley's mayor and a San Jose State graduate.

All of this started with Frank Romo, who seemingly played with everybody who's anybody in the Valley. His father was good enough to play for the Diablos, Mexico's New York Yankees. But he had to work on the family ranch in Jalisco, and later worked the fields in California.

Frank's baseball career also was cut short being the son of an immigrant farmworker. The family used to pick produce from the Imperial Valley to Salinas.

The time in Salinas led Frank to follow the Giants. But his father stuck with the Dodgers, the team Imperial Valley supports although the San Diego Padres play two hours to the west and the Arizona Diamondbacks are four hours to the northeast.

Frank Romo wanted a different route for his boys as he created a steady life in Brawley as a machinist for the Imperial Irrigation District. He built a Little League pitching mound in the back yard of their house on a quiet corner on Brawley's east side.

The father taught his son some of the mechanics of throwing, though he never pitched like Sergio's grandfather.

"It was in him," Frank Romo recalled of Sergio, who at 5-foot-10 and 183 pounds often was told he was too small to have a baseball a career.

Then Frank added, "I'd be lying if I say I'd imagine it."

Romo, 29, traveled a long road since graduating from Brawley High in 2001. He spent a year each at Orange Coast College, Arizona Western, North Alabama and Mesa State in Colorado. At almost every turn, someone from Brawley such as Carranza had a hand in helping him move forward.

But Romo just wasn't going to quit.

"Sergio wanted it bad, and nobody was going to stop him," his father said.

The Giants drafted Romo in 2005. The reliever made his major league debut in 2008 and became a hit two years later as San Francisco's primary setup pitcher. During the 2010 World Series, Romo became popular as one of the Giants' "Beards" led by closer Brian Wilson.

Romo's legend has grown in these parts since he replaced Santiago Casilla, the first man to step into the closer's role after Wilson's season-ending injury in April.

But at home Leticia Romo is waiting for her son to fulfill a promise -- to fix a window he allegedly broke while throwing in the back yard as a kid.

The Romos told their son once he made it in the majors he could return to fix it. But Sergio claims he isn't guilty while also refusing to say who is.

Frank Romo isn't buying it to this day.

"We know he broke it," the father said.

But his voice gives Frank Romo away. All is forgiven.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    :corn:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    "I have a call for a Mr. Mehoff" "A Mr. Jack Mehoff?" "any of you Jack Mehoff??"
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    "I have a call for a Mr. Mehoff" "A Mr. Jack Mehoff?" "any of you Jack Mehoff??"

well done.... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    You realize that the story is actually praising him for his thought provoking shirt right? A shirt about not stereotyping people.

I think it's just sour grapes over the Yankees not winning.

guy my city just got blown to dust..i could care less about the yanks

i saw this article and think its a shame to wear that

yet your worried about a ball player making a political statement.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    You realize that the story is actually praising him for his thought provoking shirt right? A shirt about not stereotyping people.

I think it's just sour grapes over the Yankees not winning.

guy my city just got blown to dust..i could care less about the yanks

i saw this article and think its a shame to wear that

yet your worried about a ball player making a political statement.

That's what I said, then he turned it around into me trying to keep him from posting or having an opinion/freedom of speech type thing, so I just dropped it.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    DS1119 wrote:

romo_square_rev.jpg

Sweet Jesus!! Half of the Giants must look like suicide bombers! And this is only a few of em.

559607_467958366582620_938142162_n.jpg

f06c0e626ac34b20b81d6b505496d08d_mn.jpg

mlbf_24605325_th_35_r5q1j7a8.jpg

15b089ecf8665ce2b462b6ce1063a852.JPG

I thought the shirt was awesome! I gave Romo the best shirt award yesterday. It was making a statement about several serious issues in a funny way. San Francisco is a political town. Statement shirts are our thing.

sidenote- Romo is hot.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RYEzupSF wrote:

I like a guy that can wear gold metallic nail polish with pride... :thumbup:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

romo_square_rev.jpg

Sweet Jesus!! Half of the Giants must look like suicide bombers! And this is only a few of em.

f06c0e626ac34b20b81d6b505496d08d_mn.jpg

mlbf_24605325_th_35_r5q1j7a8.jpg

15b089ecf8665ce2b462b6ce1063a852.JPG

I thought the shirt was awesome! I gave Romo the best shirt award yesterday. It was making a statement about several serious issues in a funny way. San Francisco is a political town. Statement shirts are our thing.

sidenote- Romo is hot.

send them to rye's for interogation
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
This discussion has been closed.