Your favorite Horror films

Comments

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited May 2019
    I have read most of the thread and you guys are horror movie experts!

I am not a fan of horror movies, which is weird since I have everything Stephen King has written.

My list would be -

The Last House on the Left (1972)
    The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
    Rosemary's Baby  (1968)
    Phantasm (1979)
    The Ring (thought I loved the wrong movie for years!)
    The Mothman Prophecies (2002)  This movie really freaked me out, not sure why - I scroll past it quickly when I see it listed. lol

Sorry if I repeated any.  I don't watch any on purpose anymore. 

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    edited May 2019
    @njnancy if you like The Last House on the Left - have you seen Ingmar Bergmans The Virgin Spring (Jungrukällan) which Craven ripped off for TLHOL?

The Ring > The Grudge

And, did you know The Mothman Prophecies was directed by Mark Pellington who did the Jeremy video?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,378
    Has anyone see this gem??

https://youtu.be/yFTbcDRkG1o
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    @njnancy if you like The Last House on the Left - have you seen Ingmar Bergmans The Virgin Spring (Jungrukällan) which Craven ripped off for TLHOL?

The Ring > The Grudge

And, did you know The Mothman Prophecies was directed by Mark Pellington who did the Jeremy video?
    I don't know if I can say I 'liked' The Last House on The Left. I saw it more than once and it was disturbing.  I haven't seen The Virgin Spring - I'll see if I can find it and let you know what I think, thanks. I am guessing it is just as disturbing, or more. 

I didn't know that he directed the Mothman Prophecies. I know that it scared the shit out of me. He did a great job. That's a cool bit of trivia. 

I don't know if I've seen The Ring, but it sounds familiar. I watched The Grudge with my son years ago, and I remember it clearly cause of the creepy thing that climbs out of the tv. And the fact that there is no way to stop passing it on. Putting it in the library was a pussy move. Gonna check The Ring cause I probably saw it. 

Thanks @Spiritual_Chaos
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Creepshow is getting a new series on Shudder. Being run by Greg Nicotero from The Walking Dead.
    Lots of great writers on board, including Steven King and his son, Joe Hill who was the young kid in the original movie. Cant wait.

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited May 2019
    njnancy said:

I don't know if I've seen The Ring, but it sounds familiar. I watched The Grudge with my son years ago, and I remember it clearly cause of the creepy thing that climbs out of the tv. And the fact that there is no way to stop passing it on. Putting it in the library was a pussy move. Gonna check The Ring cause I probably saw it. 
    You don't remember The Grudge as clearly as you think, because you are describing The Ring (or the superior japanese Ringu). Don't know if they put the tape in a library though... not in the first movie at least, they bring it to... oh wait.. spoilers... 

Maybe it ends differently in the US version... but don't remember any library in that one either...

The Grudge is about the ghost girl and ghost boy harassing people in an old japanese house. The US version has Sarah Michelle Geller in it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    njnancy said:

You don't remember The Grudge as clearly as you think, because you are describing The Ring (or the superior japanese Ringu). Don't know if they put the tape in a library though... not in the first movie at least, they bring it to... oh wait.. spoilers... 

Maybe it ends differently in the US version... but don't remember any library in that one either...

The Grudge is about the ghost girl and ghost boy harassing people in an old japanese house. The US version has Sarah Michelle Geller in it.
    Yes, I remember Geller. But there was the grey water logged creepy kids who would appear when you watched the tape and you'd be a goner. The library was definitely where it went. But that's The Ring and not The Grudge? I gotta do some movie watching tomorrow and get my horror films straight!  Definitely comes out of the TV at one point, that was creepy. 
    edited May 2019
    Samara from The Ring crawls out of the tv sets.

Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    edited May 2019

Oh lord, that's it! Man that's creepy. Especially the sudden shot of her eye. That stuff is what gets me the most. LIke when you're in a haunted house and someone jumps out suddenly and starts to follow you. Ahhh...

But now I'm confused. Doesn't The Grudge do that head tilting freaky staring thing? 

I knew I shouldn't delve into something in which I'm semi-literate. :blush:
    Post edited by njnancy on
    edited May 2019

Sadako > Samara

I like the american remake and its rainy Seattle setting. But the japanese original is a lot scarier. IMO. And less shitty CGI.
    njnancy said:

Oh lord, that's it! Man that's creepy. Especially the sudden shot of her eye. That stuff is what gets me the most. LIke when you're in a haunted house and someone jumps out suddenly and starts to follow you. Ahhh...

But now I'm confused. Doesn't The Grudge do that head tilting freaky staring thing? 

The grudge has a girl and a boy who is like a cat. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415

Sadako > Samara

I like the american remake and its rainy Seattle setting. But the japanese original is a lot scarier. IMO. And less shitty CGI.
    Definitely prefer the Japanese originals as far as creepiness and mood. But I will say the US remake of The Ring was pretty solid.
    The girl that played Samara (her child form, not the ghost form) was also the little sister in Donnie Darko.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    The ring was ok.  Good tone with the "knock your socks off" end there.  I don't really like "mystery solving" horror movies so much though and the ring fell deeply into that.

The grudge was just a solid horror movie.  Doesnt have that "oh shit" moment the ring has.... but overall, its a better horror movie imo.  Just an evil force attached to a house.  Also dig the japan setting
    edited May 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    The ring was ok.  Good tone with the "knock your socks off" end there.  I don't really like "mystery solving" horror movies so much though and the ring fell deeply into that.

The grudge was just a solid horror movie.  Doesnt have that "oh shit" moment the ring has.... but overall, its a better horror movie imo.  Just an evil force attached to a house.  Also dig the japan setting
    Where do you place Dark Water? 

I never fell for the original after having been so scared of Ringu. Same with The Grudge.

I do think the US remake with Jennifer Connely and John C Reilly has a nice mood and atmosphere to it though, just like The Ring has. The Ring being the better film obviously.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    njnancy said:

The Ring is one of the best horror movies out there IMO - when that came out it was kind of a horror breakthrough; launched a new era in horror I believe, as horror movies had become VERY stale at that point in time, and this movie triggered a resurgence and some new ideas ..... The Grudge is good too, but The Ring is better! 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    MayDay10 said:

Where do you place Dark Water? 

I never fell for the original after having been so scared of Ringu. Same with The Grudge.

I do think the US remake with Jennifer Connely and John C Reilly has a nice mood and atmosphere to it though, just like The Ring has. The Ring being the better film obviously.
    I have not seen that
    edited May 2019
    Hmm, this looks like it could be really good or a stinker.

https://youtu.be/3VHRXyrJ85w?t=10
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on

IT: Chapter Two trailer drops this Thursday.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,879

Just watched it at work, during the day, with the volume low.  I was nervous the entire time; can't wait to see this!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023

Just watched it at work, during the day, with the volume low.  I was nervous the entire time; can't wait to see this!
    Stephen King books are so hard to translate to the screen. The remake was much more in keeping with the spirit of the book than the first try, which was lame to be kind. Is Stephen King a consultant on the Chapter Two? (I will always prefer the book to anything they put on the screen, but that's just me.)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    looking forward to It
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    To much CGI in the first one.
    Im in the minority, but I didnt really dig It.  I thought it was a poor adaptation, and actually a lesser adaptation than the TV series.  They just made the clown scarier, which pleases the masses.
    I don't know why, but I've seen the IT chapter 2 trailer like 6-7 times now.
    edited May 2019
    I absolutely LOVED IT part 1. I actually saw it twice in the theatre.  I can't wait for part 2!!!!!!! I thought it was a good adaptation - it got the feel of the book perfectly IMO. But I despised the made-for-TV one. What a piece of shit that was.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I absolutely LOVED IT part 1. I actually saw it twice in the theatre.  I can't wait for part 2!!!!!!! I thought it was a good adaptation - it got the feel of the book perfectly IMO. But I despised the made-for-TV one. What a piece of shit that was.
    Should have been set in the 50s like the book.

Should have championed practical effects instead of the CGI overload.

But the rest I liked.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Should have been set in the 50s like the book.

Should have championed practical effects instead of the CGI overload.

But the rest I liked.
    I didn't mind that they changed the decade at all - I don't think that had a negative impact on the feel of the story. And I think it was probably a wise choice just considering the mass audience. They wanted a block buster that appealed to all ages, and updating it to the 80s right when Stranger Things was a massive was for sure a great idea, especially for the younger generations of movie-goers.
    I agree with Soul, usually the case.
    And they are saying that the second chapter is going to be a lot bloodier than the first. Very excited.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Mmmm, blood  

Though not a horror film, I thought Stand by Me did a pretty good rendition of the book. 

Now, Thinner? Yikes.